• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

'That's No Camel, That's My Baggage!'

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A baggage handler wearing a camel suit taken from a passenger's luggage has left Qantas Airways red-faced, with Australia's national carrier investigating a potentially embarrassing security lapse.

Passenger David Cox complained after he saw a baggage handler driven across the Sydney airport tarmac Wednesday wearing the camel suit that had been packed into the baggage he had checked in only minutes earlier.

Cox, a marketing manager, had checked the camel suit and a crocodile costume onto Qantas flight 425 from Sydney to Melbourne in a large bag which had been marked to say it was carrying animal costumes.

He said he was standing near his boarding gate and at first thought nothing when a child said "there's a guy with a moose head." But then he looked up and saw his camel costume.

"I obviously was flabbergasted. My jaw dropped to the ground," Cox told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon said Friday the incident was being investigated. A baggage handler had been identified on closed-circuit television and faced disciplinary action that could include dismissal.

"What has happened is completely unacceptable and is unacceptable to the vast majority of decent, hard-working Qantas employees," Dixon said in a statement.

"We are acutely aware of heightened community concerns around the security of baggage," he said.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Aussies are such strange people....... :p

That should warrant at least a suspension if not termination for stealing contents of someone's luggage to "camel around".....

Rystil Arden

First Post
Frukathka said:

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A baggage handler wearing a camel suit taken from a passenger's luggage has left Qantas Airways red-faced, with Australia's national carrier investigating a potentially embarrassing security lapse.

Passenger David Cox complained after he saw a baggage handler driven across the Sydney airport tarmac Wednesday wearing the camel suit that had been packed into the baggage he had checked in only minutes earlier.

Cox, a marketing manager, had checked the camel suit and a crocodile costume onto Qantas flight 425 from Sydney to Melbourne in a large bag which had been marked to say it was carrying animal costumes.

He said he was standing near his boarding gate and at first thought nothing when a child said "there's a guy with a moose head." But then he looked up and saw his camel costume.

"I obviously was flabbergasted. My jaw dropped to the ground," Cox told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon said Friday the incident was being investigated. A baggage handler had been identified on closed-circuit television and faced disciplinary action that could include dismissal.

"What has happened is completely unacceptable and is unacceptable to the vast majority of decent, hard-working Qantas employees," Dixon said in a statement.

"We are acutely aware of heightened community concerns around the security of baggage," he said.
My only question: Why would he do that?

Aitch Eye

First Post
Perhaps it would be better to let people go on enjoying the weirdness before injecting a downer, but the baggage handler may also be involved in an incident with a much lower fun quotient. From Jonathan Strahan's blog:

"I noticed that over on Neil Gaiman's journal he talks about a perfect news story, and wondered if it would seem less perfect if he knew the details of the case. The baggage handler is suspected of interfering with a passenger's luggage by placing 4 kilos of marijuana in her luggage. The passenger is currently on trial in Indonesia and is facing the possibility of the death penalty."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads