The ‘Last edited by’ message is an eyesore

Yaarel

He Mage
The ‘Last edited by’ message is an eyesore

Hi, I love the ENWorld site.

I am having an aesthetic issue.

When I edit a post, an italicized message appears at the bottom of the post with a time stamp of when the editing happened. For example:

Last edited by Yaarel; Today at 04:50 PM.

This message is an eyesore. I find it distracting when I read thread.

If it is even necessary to have this message - seriously, just remove it - maybe add the new time stamp parenthetically in the title bar above the post, after the time stamp of the original time stamp.

It seems trivial, but sometimes - when it comes to aesthetics, little things can mean alot.

:)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The edited message is there to cut down on people intentionally causing problems by going back and editing problematic posts and playing innocent about their parts in flame wars.

Yaarel

He Mage
I doubt the editing date ever helps reducing flamewars.

Besides, editing is almost always to correct spelling, improve style, and add pertinent information. It helps consolidate the number of posts. Editing helps elevate the quality of the discussions.

Nevertheless, if the editing date helps, please put it at the top of the post, in the title bar, where the date of the original post already is.

It would remove the eyesore.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I doubt the editing date ever helps reducing flamewars.

We document when moderators edit a post. Anyone caught editing away a moderator warning is looking at a tempban, at least.

In that sense, yes, it does reduce flamewars.

Yaarel

He Mage
Even then, the editing date can go into the top bar of the post, where the original date is.

If a moderator needs to add a message in the post itself, that would be different.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well that's a new one! 16 years, first time anybody's ever mentioned the Edited By notation!

Yaarel

He Mage
Great website.

Heh, that ‘Edited by’ notation bothers me.

On the other websites that had something like it, they removed it. It made the website look cleaner.

Rune

Once A Fool
In addition to the above intended uses, there are unintended uses. For instance, the IRON DM Tournaments generally prohibit editing an entry once posted and having a means of verifying that is extremely helpful for the judges.

Remove ads