• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 10-foot pole, antithesis of what adventuring should be?

JRRNeiklot

First Post
What's the problem? 20 degrees ia not cold. 20 degrees is the point where I wear jeans instead of shorts, maybe, but it's far from cold. I've skinny dipped in colder weather.

Someone

Adventurer
Are you joking? With the exterior at 20 degrees they would have been frozen in seconds! That´s colder than Neptune´s atmosphere!

DarkKestral

First Post
Someone: 20 degrees in Celsius is quite comfortable or even a bit too warm for most people, as it's around 60-70 Fahrenheit. To many midwesterners and northern Europeans/Asians, 20 degrees Fahrenheit is merely uncomfortably cool, and getting to the point of being cold. I have gone out in very minimal clothing and stayed out for one or two hours before getting so cold I had to duck inside in 20 degree Fahrenheit weather before. I regretted it later, but it's doable. I certainly had on less clothing than the average D&D adventurer would, as I was in a rather loosely-knit cotton T-shirt and jean shorts. I also was completely unfrostbitten at the end of the time. Had I been in what I would consider average adventuring gear (strong woolen or linen clothing with a relatively watertight weave), I would probably not even have noticed the temperature at all. If I were in 'cold weather gear' I would have been uncomfortably warm. For me, 'cold weather gear' time starts at -20 Celsius (approximately -5 degrees Fahrenheit) or so, and only is needed for most trips around -25 Celsius (approximately -15 degrees Fahrenheit) when things bottom out on the temperature scale for the local area.

Perhaps you're thinking in Kelvins.. which aren't a degree scale, anyway.

Someone

Adventurer
DarkKestral said:
Someone: 20 degrees in Celsius is quite comfortable or even a bit too warm for most people, as it's around 60-70 Fahrenheit. To many midwesterners and northern Europeans/Asians, 20 degrees Fahrenheit is merely uncomfortably cool, and getting to the point of being cold.

I know, hence the joke. JRRNeiklot was thinking on ºC, while everyone was talking about ºF

Perhaps you're thinking in Kelvins.. which aren't a degree scale, anyway.

That spoiled the joke a bit; you´re right that it´s incorrect to speak about Kelvin degrees. It reminded me of the joke or history of a man that´s abducted by aliens, and asked to lower the temperature a bit, maybe to 25 degrees, and was instantly frozen since the aliens thought he was speaking of K.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Someone said:
I know, hence the joke. JRRNeiklot was thinking on ºC, while everyone was talking about ºF

No, I was not. 20 degrees Farenheit is not cold. Not to me anyway, and I would wonder why adventurers would need special clothing at that temp. A decent bedroll, yes, but a tunic and breeches should suffice quite well, especially when complemented with a cloak.

Someone

Adventurer
Good for you, if you can trek with temperatures below frezing point without appropiate clothing. But it wasn´t me who was talking about that, so I don´t really know why you quote me on that regard.

shilsen

Adventurer
JRRNeiklot said:
No, I was not. 20 degrees Farenheit is not cold. Not to me anyway, and I would wonder why adventurers would need special clothing at that temp. A decent bedroll, yes, but a tunic and breeches should suffice quite well, especially when complemented with a cloak.
It doesn't really matter what your personal responses to temperature are. What matters is the average human being's responses to it. Or, more precisely, the D&D human being's response to it. Check the DMG, pg.302. At 20 degrees Fahrenheit, characters without winter clothing are making Fort saves every 10 minutes (with the DC rising by +1 every time). I'd call that extremely noticeable.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Someone said:
Good for you, if you can trek with temperatures below frezing point without appropiate clothing. But it wasn´t me who was talking about that, so I don´t really know why you quote me on that regard.

I quoted you because you erroneously stated I was thinking in terms of celsius. Just thought I would correct your misconception, or if you prefer, my misrepresentation. :)

JRRNeiklot

First Post
shilsen said:
It doesn't really matter what your personal responses to temperature are. What matters is the average human being's responses to it. Or, more precisely, the D&D human being's response to it. Check the DMG, pg.302. At 20 degrees Fahrenheit, characters without winter clothing are making Fort saves every 10 minutes (with the DC rising by +1 every time). I'd call that extremely noticeable.

That just makes the book wrong. 20 degrees could possibly kill you, but if you stay dry, it will take a long, long, time.

shilsen

Adventurer
JRRNeiklot said:
That just makes the book wrong. 20 degrees could possibly kill you, but if you stay dry, it will take a long, long, time.
Why's the book wrong? It's talking about how cold weather affects people in the D&D game world. Now if it claimed that's how things worked in reality, that would be a different matter, but it doesn't.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads