• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 The 3.5 Jump mechanic, and monks

Lamoni

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
In other words, once you take this feat, if you have a +20 to Jump and roll a 10, you could make a standing high jump and get 30 feet in the air. If you got a running start, you could get 60 feet in the air. If it were a running long jump, you'd jump 240 feet horizontally.
So, how long would it take to land?
All Jump DCs given here assume that you get a running start, which requires that you move at least 20 feet in a straight line before attempting the jump. If you do not get a running start, the DC for the jump is doubled.

Distance moved by jumping is counted against your normal maximum movement in a round.
Would you just land 1-2 rounds after you started the jump?

Jeb McDonald

First Post
I have a 15th level Half-Orc Monk who is +52 on his jump checks, so his jumping numbers are a bit absurd. However, we rule he jumps and lands during a single move action provided he has moved only up to his maximum movement (as per the jump rules).
Incidentally, he got to +52 by the following methods--
+4 Strength modifier
+17 Ranks in Jump
+20 50' extra movement from being a monk
+ 4 10' extra movement from boots of Str. & Springing)
+ 5 competance bonus from the boots
+ 2 synergy bonus from 5+ ranks in Tumble.

Did I do this correctly?

Knight Otu

First Post
Jeb McDonald said:
+20 50' extra movement from being a monk
+ 4 10' extra movement from boots of Str. & Springing)
I think both of these are enhancement bonuses, so they don't stack.
Otherwise, seems to be correct.

Wolffenjugend

First Post
So how does a jump of 20 feet across and 8 feet high work? Is that two checks (one at DC 20 and the other at DC 32)? Or just the more difficult check? Or something else?

DarkMaster

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
He only needed a 17 or so on the jump check. A starting character with a good strength could easily take 10 and get that.

And if your player really, really wants insane jumping powers, then he should go for some levels in sorceror, wizard or druid - for the jump spell. At 1st level it gives +10 to jump checks. At 5th it gives +20 and at 9th it gives +30.

Or he could get it in an item akin to 'boots of springing and striding' as an X minutes per day thing.
Much more than that. 17 is what is required for you to jump from the free throw line and to land under the net, Now MJ was almost 3 feet in the air when he reached the 17 foot mark, For me the DC would be more around 25 requiring him to have Jump bonus around 15.

Storminator

First Post
Wolffenjugend said:
So how does a jump of 20 feet across and 8 feet high work? Is that two checks (one at DC 20 and the other at DC 32)? Or just the more difficult check? Or something else?
A long jump gives a maximum height of 1/4 the length of the jump. So a normal 20 foot long jump reaches 5 feet. I would say if you want to jump 20 feet, and clear an 8 foot height in the middle, use the DC as if the long jump were 32 feet. If you want to end your jump 20 feet over AND 8 feet up, treat it as 36 foot long jump, with you clearing 9 feet in height at 18 feet across, and hitting the 20x8 distance on the way down.

So.... DC 32 jump to clear an 8 ft hurdle, or DC 36 to land 8 feet up.

PS

UltimaGabe

First Post
Lamoni said:
So, how long would it take to land?

Quite a while, I'd say. I made a 20th-level Monk once with everything in Jump to see how high he could jump, and with this feat, and maxed out ranks in Jump, and a Jump spell, and all that, he could jump 100 feet straight up in the air with a running start. That's 400 feet across.

argo

First Post
molonel said:
Basically, this character wants to create a 10th level monk that can leap and jump, and has the visuals in mind from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I've already told him, and he understands, that he is NOT going to be Li Mu Bai at 10th level. But I'd like to know if there is a fair, balanced way to increase the way a monk can jump, perhaps by removing some abilities from the core monk, and replacing them.

Any ideas?

I am playing a jump-centric monk in an OA game right now and having a lot of fun with it. If you are looking for a way to help this player achieve his character concept one simple house rule you could try is changing the Boots of Striding and Springing back to their 3.0 self. My DM grandfathered in the Boots when we made the change to 3.5 and it has given me an 8 level Monk with a move rate of 100' and a jump modifier of 56 (+5 Str + 11 ranks +28 speed +10 competence +2 synergy) so that is a max long jump of 76' and a max high jump of 19'

I know that sounds like a lot (espically the 100' move) but the truth is that it hasn't been a problem for us at all and I am really having a blast playing a character who can run and leap over walls and buildings. In battle it basically means that my DM draws out the battle mat and I can move my fig wherever I want on any given round, not too unbalancing given my fighting capiabilities (I'm hell on spellcasters, anyone else and I need backup). Out of battle I have some intresting opportunities for scouting, puzzle solving, and roleplay (it's great fun to supprise poor NPC's by simply showing up where they dont' expect you) but I'm not too much trouble since I usually don't want to leave the party too far behind.

Just my .02

edit: oh BTW, remember that the height given by a high jump check is the hight achieved by your feet. A medium character has a vertical reach of another 8 feet so my monk can grab a ledge as high as 27' high with his hands and pull himself up.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads