• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E The 4e Mystery Race is going to be...

Skornn2k7

First Post
I am thinking it will be a dragon race, something like the dragon born. It fits with the front cover of the PHB, that caster male has a tail like a dragon, and horns like a dragon, so I am thinking its a dragon race.

It also could be an orc or goblin, they are a major race in Eberron. So it would fit in nicely there.

I guess we will find out next month in the races and classes preview book.

DarkWhite

First Post
guess #1 = Goblin, based on what others have already mentioned from playtest posts

guess #2 = Shadar-kai, based on Desert of Desolation minis.

We know that all monsters (except one) from Desert of Desolation will be appearing in the 4th Edition MM, so you would think they'd provide similar player character support in this set.

- Dwarves (3); Elves yes; Halflings (2); Humans yes; Tieflings (2).
- Gnomes none; Half-orcs none; Orcs (gasp!) none; Goblins none; Minotaurs none; etc.

So what other humanoid character possibilities could be found in Desert of Desolation?

- Drow (2) or Shadar-kai (1) seem the most likely candidates.

I don't know much about the Shadar-kai, but they look like a race from maybe the Astral plane? This might make sense, in a similar way that Eladrins are tied to the Feywild, and Tieflings are a fiendish race, kind of to showcase their revised cosmology, featuring a few representative races from other planes.

I don't know that they'll go with Drow, though. Drow seem deserving of their own supplement, rather than being lumped in with all the "common" races.

Henrix

Explorer
In my mind there's no doubt about what it'll be.

Given all the copelling reasons for the various races - orcs, hobgoblins, gnomes, shadar-kai, drows, semi-dragons, what-have-ye - there's only one answer.

Mongrel folk. The perfect PC race.

Aristotle

First Post
The Shadar-Kai are from the plane of shadow... maybe that translates to Shadowfell?

The way the cosmology reads the Feywild, Shadowfell, and Elemental Maelstrom (containing the Abyss) planes are all closer to the material than the astral sea and it's pocket dimensions. We have a race from the feywild, and one with a bloodline that traces back to the Abyss, so why not complete the trifecta of near planes with a shadowfell race?

I officially switch my expected race from Orc to Shadar-Kai.

Kintara

First Post
Aristotle said:
The Shadar-Kai are from the plane of shadow... maybe that translates to Shadowfell?

The way the cosmology reads the Feywild, Shadowfell, and Elemental Maelstrom (containing the Abyss) planes are all closer to the material than the astral sea and it's pocket dimensions. We have a race from the feywild, and one with a bloodline that traces back to the Abyss, so why not complete the trifecta of near planes with a shadowfell race?

I officially switch my expected race from Orc to Shadar-Kai.
Hmm, perhaps it is. The Shadowfell thing did set my meter off, I'll admit.

I don't want it to be drow. I'm not against them as a rule, but we don't need high elves, wood elves, and dark elves with their own racial entries in the first PHB (unless at least one of them is a sidebar).

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Gnolls would be awesome. Gnoll rangers were a big deal in 3e, gnolls themselves are iconic, they're fierce, and they fill the "feral/savage strong race" niche very well. It also makes it so 4e isn't such a total clone of WoW's lineup of races.

I'd be cool with minotaurs, but we've already had them as a LA +0 race in Dragonlance since the DLCS came out a few years ago, and in all previous editions of Dragonlance as well. Krynn gave us the minotaur sailor archetype.

Cheers,
Cam

Toben the Many

First Post
I don't know if this has already been said, but I think it's orcs because of the introduction to R.A. Salvatore's new book. In the Orc King, the introduction talks about the Forgotten Realms 100 years in the future, as everyone knows. But it also introduces the idea of orcs being good. Drizz't is fighting to protect orcs in the introduction.

So that's where I would lay odds.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads