• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 4th edition class list so far

Gort

Explorer
That's a really cool idea. I hope they use it.

On a similar topic, I hope they fill all four 'roles' with each power source, so you can have an all-martial party who could all be soldiers or an all-divine party who are all from the same church. Just gives the adventurers more reason to stick together, is all.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
There seems to be a shortage of "controlers".

Druid was speculated on early as a divine controller, but I have seen no reference to druid in anything since the big anouncement.

Any other possible controlers for the PHBI?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
I too like the monk, and will be pining for it till the finally write it up.

The first character I wanted to make in 3.0 was a monk. I had to settle for a rogue/fighter.

It'd be so nice to have a monk that had a good party role and was built in line with the other classes, and that's playable. Every time I've made a monk, it's been more effective to make another martial character with the same resource set.

So don't think of the monk as being left out, think of him as going to grad school while the rest of the classes hit the job market with their BAs.

That's a quite valid point; tens of thousands of players gaming will test rules far more thoroughly than a three- or four-month playtest period, and any upcoming classes will benefit from that extra polish.

Brad

Talassa

Explorer
I GMed for years DnD (BEMCI), AD&D and AD&D 2e.

3e I run for little more than a year after its release, at which point I gave up the game, for a number of reasons but must of all for its increased complexity. I have bought, read, run or played many other systems, but none for as much time as (A)D&D, in any of its iterations.

Given a lot good things I have heard about 4e designing philosophy, I expect me and my old friends to resume play next year.

Ok. By now I am convinced that there will be 8 classes in PHB and that those will be the following ones (with what I think should be the primary and secondary roles for them):

Fighter (Martial Defender/Striker)
Rogue (Martial Striker/Controller?)
Ranger (Martial Striker/Defender)
Cleric (Divine Leader/Defender)
Paladin (Divine Defender/Leader)
Wizard (Arcane Controller/Striker)

Warlord (Martial Leader/Defender?)
Warlock (Arcane Controller/Leader?)

Although I am liking very much 4e direction so far, I am also very disappointed that they added the last two classes in exchange of the following ones:

Druid (Divine Controller/Leader)
Bard (Arcane Leader/Controller?)

I know there will be a PHB 2 and those classes will probably be there.
But there is something here that may keep me from buying these, where I would otherwise do it. I am fine with the expansion of "core" concept, but I am not comfortable with the feeling that I will be forced to do so just that I can have those old favourites.

Other than this, please know that I am already sold in 4e (the first core books and adventures, anyway) as most of the news I read about it here - about rules and fluff - are pretty much on spot with what I think is the direction DnD needs to take to regain some of its lost support base and, more than that, to inspire a new generation of gamers.

Last edited:

Remove ads