The Aberrations Crusade

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
This thread is a supplement for my Forgotten Realms campaign set in the Western Heartlands. The party has faced quite a number of aberrations thus far, and a major conflict against aberration forces has been going on north of their base of operations in Scornubel.

This thread is intended to store in one spot the kind of political intrigue and out of game action that the players may be involved in, either individually or as a group. It may also be a useful resource for keeping track of plot hooks, NPCs (As a DM I'm bad for forgetting NPC names!), and so on.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
To my players:

To use this effectively you will have to register with the EN World boards. If you can't figure out how to do this, e-mail me! You will probably want to subscribe to this thread, or at least book-mark it.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
This is mostly for Rob, who wants to play a paladin/monk. In this campaign the following replaces the Sacred Fist printed in Defenders of the Faith, at least as far as lawful good characters are concerned.

Sacred Fist

Sacred fists are ascetic warriors who have turned their divine magic inward, bringing their bodies and wills into harmony. They consider their bodies and minds gifts from their deity, and they believe that not developing those gifts to their fulles potential is a sin. Sacred Fists have foresworn the use of weapons and the trappings of heavy armor. Spellcasting does not dishonor them or their deity, provided the sacred fist casts spells with a range of touch. Most sacred fists are paladins, though some began their careers as clerics or fighters. Many sacred fists have also trained as monks.

Pre-reqs:

Alignment: Lawful Good
BAB: +4
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Improved Unarmed Strike
Spells: Ability to cast divine spells.
Special: Divine grace class ability.

Class Features:

Hit dice: d8
BAB: good (as fighter)
Saves: Good Fort and Ref, poor Will
Skill points: 4 + Int modifier
Class skills: Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Escape Artist (Dex), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Profession (Wis) and Tumble (Dex).

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Sacred fists do not gain any weapon or armor proficiencies. In fact, to become a sacred fist one must surrender the use of weapons. A sacred fist may not use heavy armor without breaking his religious discipline.
Code of Conduct: A sacred fist must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act. Additionally, a sacred fist’s code requires that he respect legitimate authority, help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents. A sacred fist who willingly uses a weapon loses all class spells and features, and advances no further as a sacred fist until he atones for his action (see the atonement spell description in the PHB).
The path of a sacred fist requires particular dedication. A sacred fist who gains a level in any class other than sacred fist, paladin or monk may never again raise his sacred fist level, though he retains all his sacred fist abilities. A paladin who takes levels in sacred fist may subsequently raise her paladin level or gain monk levels; similarly a monk who takes a level in sacred fist my subsequently raise her monk level or gain paladin levels. Otherwise the usual multiclassing restrictions for monks and paladins are retained.
Spells: The sacred fist casts spells as a paladin whose level is the total of the sacred fist’s class level and the character’s paladin spellcaster level. Refer to table 3-12 in the PHB.
Serenity (Ex): A first level sacred fist may use his Wisdom bonus in place of his Charisma bonus for purposes of divine grace, lay on hands, smite evil and turn undead. If an item or ability uses a daily turning attempt as an activation cost, the sacred fist may use his Wisdom bonus in place of his Charisma bonus for the purpose of determining the effects of that item or ability.
Monk abilities (Ex): Sacred fists have the flurry of blows, unarmed damage, and AC bonus of a monk whose level is the total of the sacred fist’s class level and the character’s effective monk level. Refer to table 3-10 in the PHB. Note that the monk’s AC bonus applies only when unarmored and unencumbered.
Puissant Fists (Su): A sacred fist ignores some damage reduction. At 1st level, for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction, the sacred fist treats his strikes as magical weapons. At 3rd level he may also treat his strikes as silver or cold iron. At 6th level he may also treat his strikes as adamantine. His strikes are considered to be made of a particular material only for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. At 9th level he may, for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction, also treat his strikes as being both good and lawful, as if affected by an align weapon spell.
Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher if a sacred fist makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a sacred fist is wearing light armor or no armor.
Combat Casting (Ex): At 2nd level a sacred fist gains Combat Casting as a bonus feat.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 3rd level a sacred fist can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a sacred fist already has uncanny dodge from a different class he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A sacred fist of 5th level or higher can no longer be flanked. This defense denies another rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has sacred fist levels.
If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.
Blindsense (Ex): At 6th level, the sacred fist gains blindsense with a range of 30 feet. Using nonvisual senses the sacred fist notices things he cannot see. He usually does not need to make Spot or Listen checks to notice and pinpoint the location of creatures within range of his blindsense ability, provided that he has line of effect to that creature. Any opponent the sacred fist cannot see still has total concealment against him, and the sacred fist still has the normal miss chance when attacking foes that have concealment. Visibility still affects the movement of a creature with blindsense. A creature with blindsense is still denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against attacks from creatures it cannot see.
Sacred Flame (Sp): At 7th level a sacred fist may use a standard action to invoke sacred flames around his hands and feet. Instead of normal damage, a successful attack with these sacred flames deals damage as follows: 1d6 + Wisdom bonus + sacred fist class level. Half the damage is sacred damage (and thus not subject to effects that reduce fire damage) and the remainder is fire damage. A sacred flame attack may be combined with a flurry attack.
No Shadow Blows (Ex): Starting at 8th level a sacred fist may add his Wisdom bonus to both attack and damage rolls.
Inner Armor (Ex): At 10th level a sacred fist’s inner tranquility protects him from external threats. He may invoke a +4 bonus to AC, a +4 resistance bonus on all saves, damage reduction of 5/- and spell resistance equal to his character level +10; these protections last for a number of rounds equal to his Wisdom bonus. If his Wisdom modifier is +0 or negative, he cannot use this ability. A sacred fist may use inner armor a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom bonus.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Here's the riddle that Vincent Whiteleaf dug up (perhaps literally!) in his research:

For a moment's entry, but no more
A Wish may pass the enchanted door

But ancient magic and most holy decree
Are undone at last by a long lost key

They who had it knew it not
A Relic of a time forgot

Of house ignoble except in name
and barely they hide their ancient shame

A key that is a hand made free
And a hand that is a magic key

Upon this key, all depends
Though she feigns to sell it, she only lends

Ransom

First Post
Alrighty I guess I'll kick things off:

1. When is the meeting of the Temple leaders?

2. Has the 'man on the inside' Gnash requested from Beregast found anything interesting in the temple of Lathander?

3. Any word from the priestess of Milieke?

4. Has Igban responded to the letter regarding the second piece of the rod?

5. Depending one #1 Gnash is looking for magic items/weapons/spells because he knows the Ogre Mage issue will not be resolved until either one is dead. Requisitioning* potions of See invisibility, Fly, scrolls of fire magic, spells designed to counter fly abilities some kind of enhanced gravity effect.

6. He's going to be spending a lot of time drinking so might be handy to have a neutralize poison handy to sober him up. :D

*Yes I know the Dreamers Apothecary was hit recently he offers his condolances and assisstance if needed and again congratulates them on the craftsmanship of his mace

Warning to the other players: Gnash will be in a particularly sour mood after his challenge backfired so badly.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Ransom said:
Alrighty I guess I'll kick things off:

1. When is the meeting of the Temple leaders?

May 1st. The day of the challenge was April 29. (note to purists- DM Genie uses our calendar, not the realms calendar. Sorry!)

2. Has the 'man on the inside' Gnash requested from Beregast found anything interesting in the temple of Lathander?

Lots of coming and goings, some by wealthy/respectable and/or noble sorts, and some shadier types. Though mostly not as shady as the party

3. Any word from the priestess of Milieke?

4. Has Igban responded to the letter regarding the second piece of the rod?

-No word from either.

5. Depending one #1 Gnash is looking for magic items/weapons/spells because he knows the Ogre Mage issue will not be resolved until either one is dead. Requisitioning* potions of See invisibility, Fly, scrolls of fire magic, spells designed to counter fly abilities some kind of enhanced gravity effect.

I'll look into it. Your minions might be a help (the "Flame of Truth" society). Though See Invisibility doesn't seem to be an available potion type... I wonder why?

6. He's going to be spending a lot of time drinking so might be handy to have a neutralize poison handy to sober him up. :D

:D

Good questions!

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
From a public address by Daros Sunseeker, "Guiding Light" of the Scornubel Temple of Lathander-

Scornubel is at the dawn of a bright new day. But the forces of darkness threaten us, darkness which cannot be driven back while we remain divided. As today's parable of the flint and wick shows, we must work together in order to kindle the light which drives back the darkness. And when the light is kindled, it must shine forth from the highest point in the house, that no shadow may escape its penetrating gaze.

What will the light reveal? Who will shrink back from its brilliance? Those who appeared friendly and benign in the darkness will be revealed in their true colors. What appeared to be a sweet smelling flowers in the dark will be seen, in the cold light of dawn, to be noxious weeds unsuited for our garden. But does not scripture teach us that one man's weed is another man's wildflower? Yes, but be they weeds or wildflowers, their place is not in our city garden. Their place is, at best, in the fields and woods outside the city; at worst they are destined for the trash heap.

And to the trash heap we must send our factions and bickerings. Too long has Scornubel been divided and in darkness. We must reform the mechanics of governance. In particular we must end the absurd conflict between City Guard and Caravan Guard. As a representative of the Light, I am asking the citizens of this city to show their support for a united Scornubel.

Candles are being distributed by the acolytes... don't push! There are enough for everyone. They will be available all day from the temple and our shrines throughout the city. Tonight we shall have a candlelight vigil by the citadel. Please show your support for my initiative, your support for a united Scornubel...

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Gnash Firewalker, Flame Master of Kossuth, is in his temple. The debacle of the previous day's challenge still stings. He has been drinking heavily, but is still in a bad mood. An acolyte knocks at his door.

"Flame Master Gnash?" the acolyte inquires hesitantly.

"What!" The irate cleric slams the mug on the table.

"Uh, sir... a message for you." the acolyte gingerly profers a scroll.

"Fine. Leave it on the table." snarls Gnash.

The acolyte places it on the table and scurries out. At the door he turns and says fearfully-"the elf said he wished to know your response."

Gnash makes an extreme effort to focus his eyes enough to read the scroll. It is in an elegant hand, and purple ink. The parchment is faintly perfumed... violets.

I'm at Burnt Offerings. Come immediately. No Tricks! I will not attack you. You want to speak with Me.
-Shasheen, OM

Gnash says,"I'll be there in an hour."

"I'll tell him, sir." and the acolyte scurries away. Gnash groans and then staggers to the basement. A little time in the sauna would be just the thing to sober up.

Burnt offerings is a large restaurant across the street from the temple of Kossuth. The lunch crowd would was just starting when Gnash arrives. Gnash heads over as soon as he is able to walk semi-straight, and sees a familiar elf with a large long-bow; the one who questioned you the day before at the challenge ground. Vanora is with him! The elf smiles when he sees you, but the smile does not reach his eyes.

"Come! Come!" he shouts. Gnash goes over and orders something spicy.

"Your minion is quite the hell-raiser." The polymorphed Ogre Mage begins conversationally, "She does not respond well to threats! I like that!"

Vanora glares at him, but says nothing.

"She's not my minion." replies Gnash. "She just showed up and hasn't left."

"Like a stray dog? Ha ha! "

"Anyway," says Shasheen, "She is my possession now, but I offer her to you as a peace offering! You fought well, and I hold no grudge. Perhaps we can do business, eh?"

"Perhaps." Gnash says. "Our last encounter was far from honourable."

"All's fair in love and war, eh?" the Ogre Mage says cheerfully. "But let bygones be bygones. I know you- your orcish blood cries out for destruction! Together we could put Scornubel to the Torch- to the glory of Kossuth and the Quaan!"

Gnash replies, "I do itch for battle and the flames of Kossuth do lick my soul. But Scornubel has become a home. And who are the Quaan?"

"A home? Infested with humans. Filthy lot." he looks at the patrons of Burnt Offering with disgust. The patrons have given the trio a wide berth, perhaps instinctively responding to the Ogre Mage's loathing.

"The Quaan is merely a club to which I belong- as does your rat-pet here, too."

Gnash eyes Vanora with a raised brow.

"In a sense- through the ring, though not through training and the proper initiation." clarifies Shasheen.

Vanora says "The ring is a sign of membership. It keeps the members of the Quaan from fighting each other. Anything else he says about me is a lie."

"You see! A real hellion! Ha Ha!"

"This ring," asks Gnash, "Is it the same you got from sunnybottom that goof from Lathander?"

"Yes..." begins Vanora, but Shasheen interrupts, angry...

"He has no right to be passing them about! Like a ghoul he took them from the bodies of Quaan warriors! He must pay! And for you, I could help you find weapons of great potency! Treasures unimaginable! We thought you were in his pay, in his pocket. But Vanora says this is not so. I apologize for our... misunderstanding."

Gnash replies "I have heard rumors that he seeks to remove the nature deities from Scornubel... but he did provide excellent gifts to my companions and myself. But I still don't trust him."

"So you shall work with me!? Rat-lady a good gift too, eh?"

"What do you propose?" replies Gnash.

"I wish to slay Daros Sunseeker and ravage his temple. But I need time to gather resources. Shall we gather and strike in three day's time?"

"We'll see. tomorrow is the meeting of the temple heads. His plans will most likely be laid out there. If things go bad as the church of Melieke suggest I may help. Other than the theft of the rings what buisness have you with Sunseeker?"

"That is my business, my friend!" says Shasheen, "He is an enemy of another friend, or perhaps it is best to say that he is the friend of an enemy of my friend...but more than that I will not say."

"What about the rings my companions possess? Are they forfeit?"

"Eh? Ah, that is a difficult question. No pure-blood human, elf or dwarf may be a member of the quaan. For such to wear one is to forfeit their lives! But you, or the rat-lady here, or the little wizard- that is permissible."

"No pure blood elf, human nor dwarf wears the rings." says Gnash. "The man that holds the third ring hasn't worn it."

"What! there is a third ring!? That sniveling cleric will pay dearly! But as for us- shall we seal the bargain?" And profers the ring.

The half-orc cleric of Kossuth accepts the ring.

"Sunseeker gave three such rings. One to the Kobold, one to Vanora and one to another companion. A Human though I have a belief of orcish blood though well distilled." he says, looking at the ring thoughtfully. (OOC- "Selling my soul AGAIN!")

"Bah! The ring must be taken from him. Who is it, and where does he reside?"

"I will get the ring. I feel that won't be an issue." And he puts on the ring. It slides on easily, and once in place fits snugly. Gnash experimentally tries to remove it, but it doesn't budge.

"Excellent!" notes the Ogre Mage in satisfaction. "We shall be in touch! But now, with your permission, I must be off!"

"Our business is concluded." agrees Gnash. "Three days as agreed."

"'till then!"

Erf

First Post
Vincent's theories and proposals

As far as Vincent's concerned, we need to know what the heck is going on before we can do any more. The recent "test" that Our Heroes performed was quite successful, and resulted in the (rather lucky) destruction of the Bone Devel. However, while it told us about how far the Baron and/or Daros are willing to go to enforce their recent law crackdown, it told us little about what's actually going on.

First of all, here's Vincent's take on things... First of all, odds are low that both the Baron and Daros are equally in charge, and Vincent's putting his money on Daros; the Baron is likely either under some kind of direct mind control, or some threats or similar. Even so, there's the question of whether Daros himself is actually running the show, or if there's some greater being for whom Daros is but a minion.

The Bone Devil could fit either of those two theories. It might have been the creature Daros (or whoever) made some kind of deal with, to act as enforcer to lend weight to his little coup. Or, it might have been sent here by whatever devil (or other entity) is really in charge. Right now, we don't have enough information to tell one way or the other.

Vincent isn't sure which option would be more frightening. If the former, then "all" we have to worry about now is Daros. But that means that Daros is very very powerful in his own right, if he's able to make some sort of deal with an Osyluth and brainwashed the entire contingent of "hippie" nature-god followers to attack his temple. If the latter, then we have some sort of extra planar being to deal with, whose motives and powers are pretty much alien -- all bets are off as to why this is happening or how many layers of intricacy are involved. On the other hand, there do exist protocols for dealing with extra planar beings (even if Vincent isn't himself powerful enough to execute them), and there's at least a chance that an equally powerful Celestial being might have something to say about it all.

So here's Vincent's proposals:

- First of all, we need information. I plan to give him Clairvoyance/Clairaudiance, which will help somewhat in finding out what's going on, but it's no substitute for proper reconnaiscance. Vincent figures the only proper solution is for somebody to sneak into both Daros's temple and the Baron's castle (or whatever it is), and do some poking around. Vincent can't do this himself, even with invisibility: he'd get caught, and that wouldn't help anybody.

- Second, and this may overlap somewhat with the first, we should see about contacting somebody on the Celestial Plane. Vincent will be doing some research into this (corresponding to all the ranks in Knowledge: Planes that he's about to get ;) ), and perhaps Those Who Hear can lend a hand. In any case, if there really is a major Devil of some kind involved, odds are some sort of Celestial will be interested in hearing about it and be eager to lend a hand (either in helping us, or acting directly; Vincent isn't picky). And if there isn't, maybe we can make a deal of some kind to get information, magic, or other assistance. (Yes, I'm basically talking about "selling my soul to an angel" here. Vincent tends to think outside the box. :D )

Vincent is of course encouraging other suggestions, but he hasn't heard any yet, and between the Bone Devil and the blood red pillar of flame he's getting somewhat concerned about the magnitude of the problem we're facing...

What do you all think?

Last edited:

Erf

First Post
More brainssss...

Do Osyluths have brains? (At least, brains that are still intact after they die...?)

On a related note, what did Vincent learn from picking The Blessed's brain (so to speak)? :D

Remove ads