• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Adventurer's Handbook Speculation Thread

Psyga315

Explorer
With the covers revealed, I figure that this might be a time for us to begin thinking about what Sasquatch will do for the Adventurer's Handbook. From what is known, the book is set to have new Backgrounds, Spells, Skills, Races and Class Options (either new classes or Class Archetypes), most of which are meant for the Elemental Evil story arc that they're going to make, though I hope they see use outside the arc.

So, what do you think they'll add to the handbook? My idea is that they're going to reintroduce the Elemental Races and have races like Air Gnomes, Earth Dwarves, Fire Elves, and Water Halflings.

machineelf

Explorer
I've heard they are going to introduce gibbering mouthers as a playable race. Mike Mearls told me. It was in a dream and he was wearing a pink tutu and playing a banjo, though, so take that into consideration.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Off the top of my head (and basing on the cover images), Genasi & Aasimar for playable races. I really hope the kind of "elemental races" you refer are not there. There are far cooler things they can do with the pages.

Other than race stuff...
1) Individual Element [Air, Earth, Fire, Water] Domains for Clerics. I'm nearly 100% sure on that.
2) An Elemental "Origin" or other way to create an "Elementalist" subclass archetype for Sorcerer.
3) Likely an "Evil Elemental Prince" (and maybe Elder Elemental Eye?) Pact/Patrons for the "Elemental Patron" subclass for Warlock.
4) Some "Warrior" subclass for one of the warrior classes, but I can't imagine what that would be.

I will be very surprised if all of these are not there.

Probably, also, some "Servant of Fungi" Zuggtmoy evil cleric NPC.

Some kind of "Elemental Adept" Background(s) or (more work and less likely) stuff like a background for "Air/Earth/Fire/Water Folks", individually. Which would be 4 new backgrounds...but stuff like Sailor and Miner/Mason [via Guild Artisan] are already in the PHB...so I don't know what form these would take.

No doubt there will not be less thannnn...I'm gonna guess, a 20 new spells minimum.

Other than that, nothing's jumping out.

EDIT: OO! OO! For the "Warrior" subclass option...mayyyybe a Planar-based Ranger subclass?

Last edited:

My guess is that the original intention to make it specific to Elemental Evils has been slightly dropped in favor of a general book that is intended to be used with Elemental Evils but works well with any Faerun campaign.

guachi

Hero
My guess is each class has at least one new subclass. I'd also venture we get at least one new class and 2 new races. Also, spells. Because spells are a good way to pad a book.

Since it'll be focused on Elemental stuff exactly zero of it will be of interest to me. I'd much prefer a more general player supplement and a campaign supplement. It's like WOTC is specifically making the stuff I would least likely ever purchase.

Staffan

Legend
I very much doubt there'll be any new class. New subclasses are a given (though perhaps not for all the classes), but I have a hard time seeing what entirely new class they'd add.

As for new races, I'm expecting the genasi to make an appearance. Likely, there'll be a basic Genasi race with each element being a subrace.

Sigbjorn_86

First Post
I will be highly surprised if there is a new class. They've already said the current subclass + background system provides ample options for expansion without adding new classes.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
As for new races, I'm expecting the genasi to make an appearance. Likely, there'll be a basic Genasi race with each element being a subrace.

As a faerun race, I would concur. That would be the "Makes the most sense for the format they've introduced/used so far" option.

Artificer is the only one I can imagine for a new class.

That's an Eberron class. I would hope it will go in an Eberron book. More specifically, I would hope it would be a Wizard sub-class in an Eberron book. Though it could, conceivably, be worked up/out as another "tradition" for Wizards. I'd hate if they introduced/tried to make it a "full-fledged not-setting-specific" class people will be "expect" at their tables. But I can see it as possible.

Since it'll be focused on Elemental stuff exactly zero of it will be of interest to me. I'd much prefer a more general player supplement and a campaign supplement. It's like WOTC is specifically making the stuff I would least likely ever purchase.

Well, they did call me last week and asked, "What is guachi interested in?" So, I told the Wizards, "Ya know, I've heard guachi looooves Elemental stuff." They were very thankful. What? No good?

That's an Eberron class. I would hope it will go in an Eberron book. More specifically, I would hope it would be a Wizard sub-class in an Eberron book. Though it could, conceivably, be worked up/out as another "tradition" for Wizards. I'd hate if they introduced/tried to make it a "full-fledged not-setting-specific" class people will be "expect" at their tables. But I can see it as possible.

If they based it on the original version, the mechanics may simply be too different for a wizard subclass. Then again, that's a big if; they might now.

Really, it's the only full class I can imagine as a possibility. I think the system they currently have will cover anything else they come up with nicely.

Remove ads