• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Age of Worms - Morrus' Campaign - Finished 6th August!!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Inconsequenti-AL said:
You do get a cake.

Unfortunately it is the Cake of Death and you will be forced to eat it.

C'mon, Al, you know perfectly well that it's actually the Cake of Ultimate Doom.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
More ineffectual arrows bounced off the armoured auran; made to look all the more feeble by the efforts of Morgan’s weasel familiar, which stood over the body of its fallen master, and bit savagely at the wind-warrior, before leaping in misery into the 40 foot pit.

At this same moment, the spell of fear faded on the distant figure which had fled moments before. Our problems kept on growing as it glided silently across the chamber towards us whilst the other flicked Morgan’s blood from its blades and floated back to the column of air.

Morgan’s death somehow drove us into a fury. Gripping blades and shooting frantically, we stood and fired as Niccoli and Torvig charged into the air elementals. Two handed sword strokes and spell-enchanted dwarven strength drove spear and blade into the shining armour, which collapsed. Grimly, we turned on the second elemental, and charged.

Again, luck sided with us; blades flashed on both sides before we triumphed over the air elemental. It fell with alarming ease after the difficulty we had had previously.

.oOo.

The others investigated the air column, which revealed that it blew items in it up and somehow through the ceiling. I turned to Morgan’s body; recovering and cleaning his bloodstained spellbook with a cantrip, before penning a short epitaph on the last page. Then I rejoined my friends, to see Niccoli’s feet disappearing through the ceiling above us, followed by Flynn, who leapt into the shaft of light and hurtled upwards after our fighter friend.

A few moments later, Torvig and I leapt into the shaft of light and flew upwards to join them.

Eccles

Above the shaft of light lay a small white-walled chamber. In the centre of the room lay a white sarcophagus, identical to the one downstairs in all except colour and the intact finger on the left hand. On the wall to the sarcophagus’ foot was a picture of a wind-duke and a demon, the demon using some form of metallic loop and rod to control a sphere of annihilation; a sphere which was rolling through the auran and destroying it utterly. As Torvig and I rose through the floor of this new chamber, we could see all of this, and also see Flynn taking a step towards the sarcophagus. The wind duke’s picture turned to face us, and demanded “Speak my name”.

“Zosiel,” I replied reflexively, recognising the picture as the same as the sarcophagus.

A shaft of blue light shone from around the top of the sarcophagus, lighting the whole room. Using the last of his enchanted strength, Torvig pushed the lid free, to reveal an empty space within, with three items lying on a velvet cushion. A silver diadem with Zosiel’s emblem on it; a pair of demonic horns (identical to that in the picture), and a pewter box, covered in writing which writhed and crawled in front of our eyes, but which clearly read “the Queen of Chaos”. The lid was melted shut.

Flynn immediately tried to open the box. He failed.

.oOo.

We took the decision to place Morgan’s body into the sarcophagus on a whim. The image of a more experienced band of adventurers working their way here and then finding a local lad’s body there was too good to pass up.

Once the lit was shut, I muttered “look after our friend, Zosiel,” on a whim. Blue light flared from the sarcophagus edge, whilst white light bathed the whole room. Suddenly, Morgan’s muffled voice could be heard yelling as he banged on the inside of the lid. Our friend was alive!

Last edited:

Eccles

We freed him from the sarcophagus, and worked our way back to the room ringed with coloured lanterns. As we marched towards the entrance way, there was a grinding noise from behind us, as the stone chamber rose once more from beneath the yellow lantern. The door slid open, and the warrior from the “experienced” adventuring group stepped out with a sack slung over his shoulder. He looked up and saw us, before announcing “we’ve cleared this place out”, and jingled the gold and other items in the sack over his shoulder.

Our hearts sank.

The warrior’s two companions joined him, and after a short discussion agreed to show us the treasure which they had looted from the one place we had not managed to get to. Unloading the warrior’s sack took a distressingly long time, as their wizard gloated over the valuable statues, pile of gold, magical wands and enchanted armour.

Telling them that they could buy the first round of drinks, we shared a boat back to town.

.oOo.

Later that night, the other group having gone on to another bar, we pulled our own treasure out from under the table. Once again, we’d perhaps had too much to drink, and that was what encouraged us to wrestle the lid off the box inscribed with writing text which read “Queen of Chaos”.

Inside, positively throbbing with mystical energy, lay a short metal rod with a silvery loop on one end – the controlling rod for a sphere of annihilation, such as we had seen in the fresco back in the chamber of resurrection. In our hands lay a priceless artefact, the single most valuable item in the whole of Diamond Lake. Our minds swam on a sea of imagined riches. And alcohol.

---

This episode brought to you by the number 6, the letter ‘W’, and the joke “Do you know the difference between a ferret and a weasel? They’re stoatally different.”

Miln

Explorer
Eccles said:
As Torvig and I rose through the floor of this new chamber, we could see all of this, and also see Dave taking a step towards the sarcophagus.

a small edit is needed

Also, thanks for writing this up! It's a blast to read.

Aurora

First Post
Another nice update-short but sweet. Your characters like to drink, so it would seem :lol: Hell of a find with the artifact.

Hairball

First Post
Eccles said:
... Suddenly, Morgan’s muffled voice could be heard yelling as he banged on the inside of the lid. Our friend was alive!

LOL. So was he dead-dead or just mostly-dead?

In other words, did the sarcophagus ressurect him or just heal him?

Also, what happened with the weasel familiar? Was it a noble suicide or did he crawl out of the pit after Morgan was restored?

Thanks for the update!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads