• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The also rans...

Which of the setting specific races should be generalized in 5e?

• Giff

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Scrow

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Tieflings

Votes: 64 49.2%
  • Aasimaar

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • Kender

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Gully Dwarves

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Mulls

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Thri-kreen

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Half-Giants

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Elan

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Warforged

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • Kalashtar

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Shifters

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • None Damnit!

Votes: 47 36.2%

hafrogman

Adventurer
Okay, I have to ask. What are Scrow? Even Google can't help me with this one.

Or is it just a poll thing to see how many people will vote for a race they don't even know?

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I would love to see them all, but we need to leave something for the campaign books. The next edition needs a reptilian race, looks like dragonborn have that sewn up, and an insect race. People like the Thrikreen, but the dromite from 3.5 Expanded Psionics HB was a nice small race.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Okay, I have to ask. What are Scrow? Even Google can't help me with this one.

Or is it just a poll thing to see how many people will vote for a race they don't even know?

I think he meant "Scro", which are super-orcs - like uruk-hai (and orcs spelled backwards. From Spelljammer, of course)

Shemeska

Adventurer
How are tieflings and aasimar setting specific?

Yes they're somewhat iconic in 2e Planescape, but they appeared in the 3e core MM and later in the 3e FRCS as a standard PC race not just a "monster". Then the tiefling (at least in name if not at all in appearance) showed up as a core 4e race. Both are PC races in Pathfinder.

delericho

Legend
In the core, none of them.

In supplements, I have no issue with them presenting any and all of these races. And I don't particularly care whether those are setting-specific supplements or generic ones. (Although if the races are presented in generic supplements, then I would prefer they be repeated in the appropriate "core book" for the setting.)

Gothikaiju

First Post
How are tieflings and aasimar setting specific?

Yes they're somewhat iconic in 2e Planescape, but they appeared in the 3e core MM and later in the 3e FRCS as a standard PC race not just a "monster". Then the tiefling (at least in name if not at all in appearance) showed up as a core 4e race. Both are PC races in Pathfinder.

Yeah, and Tieflings are already supposed to be in D&D Next, having been in a PH1.

Shifters in 4e are prominent in Forgotten Realms as well as Eberron-- they are almost not setting specific, and hereditary Weres (if that's how they were expressed in Next) could fit in a lot of games IMO. I voted for them.

I also voted for Warforged-- I want my PC Golems, dangit! :D

Changelings?

Good catch. But Changelings I think should be optional - a race of freely shapeshifting people has massive world-design implications.

I said yes to every race I know much about except two: Kender and Gully Dwarves. (And I should have said yes to the ones I don't know much about).

Kender are antisocial. They are thieves from the party as almost invariably played or written (and no, I don't believe Kender have "no concept of property" - the pests wouldn't lie about it if they didn't and they would give things away as much as take them). Their main function is an excuse for obnoxiousness.

Gully Dwarves. If Frank Trollman is to be believed then Gully Dwarves are an ethnic joke - anti-appalacian hillbilly. And even if he isn't to be believed, Gully Dwarves are still an in-setting ethnic joke. And I don't want ethnic jokes in my game thank you very much. Especially not if they are real world ethnic jokes.

I'd even have voted yes to Tinker Gnomes but Gully Dwarves and Kender aren't wanted.

FireLance

Legend
I went with:

Aasimar - Angel people!

Thri-kreen - Insect people!

Warforged - Golem people!

Shifters - Beast people!

Kalashtar - Because I love the idea of an entire family being psychically linked to a dream entity.

Edit: I almost voted Elan, but I didn't think that an entire race of bards would be a good idea.

Serendipity

Explorer
I gotta say I don't really see the Aasimar or the Tieflings are setting specific, nor have I for some time. If you're asking 'should these things be in the game?' then yes, on most counts, if only in the monster manual (though some of those I'd wait til later on - not very useful as monsters honestly). If you're asking 'should these things be races in the Players Handbook?' then I have to say no I don't want a pathfinder core sized player's handbook.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads