The American Office

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I've only seen parts of the BBC version of The Office, and none of the American version, but I have seen a number of interviews with Ricky Gervais. If I am gathering what people are saying I'd have to point people toward Andy Richter Controls the Universe as an example of a good, modern American office comedy that knows how to mix satire, darkness, and absurdity in proper doses, along with being well-cast from head to toe.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
The consensus I seem to be hearing is that people who've seen the British version of The Office were underwhelmed by the American one, but people like me who never saw the BBC show liked it a lot. I understand that the American show gets much better once they veer away from remaking the British scripts.

I haven't ever seen the BBC version, but I started watching the American version with a friend earlier tonight, and we both stopped watching because it just was not funny to either of us. My friend finds a lot of things funny that I don't, and vice versa, and both of us were in agreement that this show was just painful to watch. And dull.

I'm curious about people who hate this version, either in comparison to the original or without having seen it: what sorts of sitcoms do you like? I can't stand the half-hour format sitcom by and large, and the only exceptions so far for me are Arrested Development, Scrubs and Simpsons. I found while watching The Office last night that my enjoyment of A.D. carried over to this with the similarity in formats.

I love Scrubs and the Simpsons. I watched a couple of episodes of Arrested Development and didn't really like it. Seinfeld is great. Most sitcoms nowadays are too formulaic and use the same trite, cliched jokes and pacing. The Office, admittedly, doesn't seem to fall into the same formula of the sitcoms (which is a plus), but based on this pilot episode, I won't be watching any more of it. It was dull and unfunny. I liked Steve Carel on the Daily Show a lot, but here he was just mugging for the camera too much and overplaying things. The other characters just were boring- though that probably had as much to do with the faux-documentary style they used in this episode as with their performances and the material. I don't know if the show gets funnier when (if?) they stop using the documentary style or not, but like I said, I won't be watching to see.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Mark said:
I've only seen parts of the BBC version of The Office, and none of the American version, but I have seen a number of interviews with Ricky Gervais. If I am gathering what people are saying I'd have to point people toward Andy Richter Controls the Universe as an example of a good, modern American office comedy that knows how to mix satire, darkness, and absurdity in proper doses, along with being well-cast from head to toe.

Andy Richter Controls the Universe was hysterical. Like Firefly, it has the distinction of being one of the best shows to come out in the past couple of years that was cancelled before its time.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Andy Richter controls the universe was very, very funny. So, US television can make good shows, just not always. I thought Office was funny in parts, bad in parts. I've never seen the BBC version (cable or D&D, not both fit into the budget).

John Crichton

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Andy Richter Controls the Universe was hysterical. Like Firefly, it has the distinction of being one of the best shows to come out in the past couple of years that was cancelled before its time.
You know, I forgot about Andy Richter. That show was fantastic. Now I am sad...

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I think the show's biggest problem is that they try to emulate the original too
closely. The characters come off as pale imitations of the originals. Why not
just put up a different (more american in feel) office, with a different cast?
Different annoying boss. Different love triangle. Different toady wackjob. Use
the feel of the original and apply it to new things. A lot of the comedy and feel
of The Office is just so british that it falls completely on it's head when put in
US makeup. Just as how Office Space or Dilbert are American to the core. Do
a Dilbert. Do a Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Don't do a remake, do a
spinoff!

Give us the The (American) Office.

Remove ads