• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Assassin, Redux (Grayhawk please come!)

Nyaricus

First Post
Grayhawk, you posted in Feburary I beleive a Redux of the Assassin class from 1e - could you possibly re-post it? I just had the link and not a printed-off copy (dumb me) and I really, really liked it.

If anyone knows how to look for a cache version, that would be great if a link could be posted.

Thanks everyone :)

Kerrick

First Post
Just go to Google, type in the keyword(s) and "Enworld" and it'll pop up cached pages. You have to click on "cache," though, not the link itself.

Grayhawk

First Post
Wha?!? I've been gone for a little while and now I see that alot of stuff is missing. What happened?

Nyaricus, unfortunately I don't have the original write-up from that post (where I explained my reasoning for the design decisions) - I was counting on ENworld to store it for me :(

But I can give you the short version (this is the text from my house rules document):

'Assassin
d6 HP, medium BAB, good Ref, 4 SP/lvl, cannot be good
Light armor + small shields. Simple and martial weapons

Class Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Craft, Deception, Decipher Script, Intimidate, Perception, Sneak, Streetwise

1st Death Attack 1/day
2nd SA +1d6, Poison Use
3rd Quick Draw
4th SA +2d6
5th Death Attack 2/day
6th SA +3d6
7th
8th SA +4d6
9th
10th Death Attack 3/day, SA +5d6
11th
12th SA +6d6
13th
14th SA +7d6
15th Death Attack 4/day

Death Attack: When a humanoid target is denied it's Dex bonus to AC the Assassin can choose to make a Death Attack as a Standard Action (instead of a Sneak Attack or a normal attack). If the target fails a Con modified level check (d20 +lvl +Con mod vs DC 10 +Assassin lvl +Int mod) the attack deals it's normal damage +1d8 per Assassin lvl. This form of attack requires great precision and can only be executed with a small, bladed weapon - usually a dagger'

I believe this is pretty much identical to the version I posted in the vanished thread. Ask away if something requires clarification :)

Nyaricus

First Post
Grayhawk said:
Wha?!? I've been gone for a little while and now I see that alot of stuff is missing. What happened?

Nyaricus, unfortunately I don't have the original write-up from that post (where I explained my reasoning for the design decisions) - I was counting on ENworld to store it for me :(

But I can give you the short version (this is the text from my house rules document):
Hey man, the boards lost all the info from January to May due to a some data which was corrupted. Check out the Meta forum, they'll have all the info you'll need.

Thank you for the awesome class again dude - I was really hoping you'd be back with this class :) Now, I am going to print this off :p

Grayhawk

First Post
Nyaricus said:
Hey man, the boards lost all the info from January to May due to a some data which was corrupted...
Shame about the lost posts... and I was wondering why some of my older bookmarked threads was still available.
Nyaricus said:
Thank you for the awesome class again dude - I was really hoping you'd be back with this class :) Now, I am going to print this off :p
You're very welcome :)

A little note on the skills: As you can see I'm using a house ruled skill list, with many condensed skills (like Hide + Move Silently = Sneak). If you're using the core skills the class should get 6 skill points/level.

Actually, looking at the class in this simple write-up makes it seem a little... underwhelming - especially when compared to the newer core classes by WotC, like the 3.5 Ranger, the Knight, etc. I mean, it doesn't really look like there's a lot there, if you know what I mean (no new fancy abilities at each new level, and so on).

Obviously, I prefer core classes this way (and I don't use prestige classes), as I feel that classes should be fairly generic, with the skill and feat choices, multiclassing and plain old roleplaying being what rounds a character out.

My point is, that this class isn't designed to necessarily fit in with the rest of the core classes as much as to fit in with my personal re-write of them, where I've simplified certain parts, shuffled some class abilities around (and added some and removed others).

Remove ads