D&D 5E The Audience - Do you feel like you're the target audience?

Retreater

Legend
It's one thing to find a single example of a "campaign in a box" from Second Edition - quite different to that the default product is a 1-13 5e mega campaign or a 1-20 Paizo AP.
We don't get modules anymore. Or Dungeon magazine adventures.
In my mind, the game is worse for it.

Hussar

Legend
It's one thing to find a single example of a "campaign in a box" from Second Edition - quite different to that the default product is a 1-13 5e mega campaign or a 1-20 Paizo AP.
We don't get modules anymore. Or Dungeon magazine adventures.
In my mind, the game is worse for it.
This would be the point I'm making. Sure, there are the odd "campaign in a box" from before. But, we're getting 1-3 every year for the past ten years now. For me, it's fantastic.

@Ruin Explorer, you're pointing at Pathfinder, which is much later than what I was talking about. That's after the end of 3e. Yes, Dragonlance was there, and there's a few odds and sods. But now? We've got what 18 full campaign length 5e adventures. Almost two per year. That's the comparison I'm making. There's more campaign in a box products for 5e than there were for the previous 4 editions combined.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
This would be the point I'm making. Sure, there are the odd "campaign in a box" from before. But, we're getting 1-3 every year for the past ten years now. For me, it's fantastic.

@overgeeked, you're pointing at Pathfinder, which is much later than what I was talking about. That's after the end of 3e. Yes, Dragonlance was there, and there's a few odds and sods. But now? We've got what 18 full campaign length 5e adventures. Almost two per year. That's the comparison I'm making. There's more campaign in a box products for 5e than there were for the previous 4 editions combined.
I think you tagged the wrong person.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I do a fair bit of that as well and a canned module still takes less prep time than a homebrew.

Why?

Because with a homebrew I have to draw all the bloody maps, and that takes ages. A canned module (in theory) does that work for me.

I tend to take maps from other sources. Though I will draw my own maps occasionally.

mamba

Legend
Kinda, sorta. GDQ starts at 6th or 7th level. Slave Lords only covers 4th - 8th. These were extended adventures, sure, but, not entire campaigns.
Add Temple of Elemental Evil in front, done ;)

5e also has ‘incomplete’ paths, DotMM, LoX do not start at level 1 at a minimum

And, while you do name those four, they were VERY few and far between.
this was not an exhaustive list, and it does not have to be the only thing they publish for it to exist… the point was that 3e did not invent them

Also, remember, three of those came out before 1985. In the following twenty years, there were few module series like these. Even once Paizo started doing Adventure Paths in Dungeon in the latter days of 3e, it was still a new thing. The idea of Campaign in a Box hasn't been really explored until 5e.
there were fewer modules because the trend was towards larger modules. DL got two APs of 3 books each in 3e, one of them being an expansion of the original 12 module AP, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Red Hand of Doom, the multi-module looser AP starting with Sunless Citadel, probably others

Campaign in a Boxed Set, you mean like Night Below from 2e? ;)

I agree that it is much more their focus now, leaving smaller adventures to 3pp, but new it is not

Hussar

Legend
Add Temple of Elemental Evil in front, done ;)

5e also has ‘incomplete’ paths, DotMM, LoX do not start at level 1 at a minimum

this was not an exhaustive list, and it does not have to be the only thing they publish for it to exist… the point was that 3e did not invent them

there were fewer modules because the trend was towards larger modules. DL got two APs of 3 books each in 3e, one of them being an expansion of the original 12 module AP, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Red Hand of Doom, the multi-module looser AP starting with Sunless Citadel, probably others

Campaign in a Boxed Set, you mean like Night Below from 2e? ;)

I agree that it is much more their focus now, leaving smaller adventures to 3pp, but new it is not
Sorry, I was talking about TSR/WotC not 3pp. I made that pretty clear in the OP because I mentioned how 3pp were targeting me much more in the past than now. Perhaps you missed that?

The point being, NOW we are getting a campaign in a box every year, and often more than one. In the past, we got maybe one ever couple of years at best which was absolutely dwarfed by the book a month of lore and setting stuff that TSR and WOtC hosepiped at that time. Thus, I am feeling much more like I am being targeted by WOtC than I was previously.

mamba

Legend
Sorry, I was talking about TSR/WotC not 3pp. I made that pretty clear in the OP because I mentioned how 3pp were targeting me much more in the past than now. Perhaps you missed that?
no, I got that, I was talking about TSR/WotC too. I just said that they focus on APs more now and leave single adventures mostly to 3pps

The point being, NOW we are getting a campaign in a box every year, and often more than one. In the past, we got maybe one ever couple of years at best
I agreed that they focus more on that, my point was that the AP was not invented by 5e or 3e, we had the first ones in 1e at the latest

Hussar

Legend
no, I got that, I was talking about TSR/WotC too. I just said that they focus on APs more now and leave single adventures mostly to 3pps

I agreed that they focus more on that, my point was that the AP was not invented by 5e or 3e, we had the first ones in 1e at the latest
Ahh. Ok. Yes, you are right. They invented the AP in 1e.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This is true. The difficulty is discerning quality there.
I share your same concern regarding DM's guild. My experience is pretty limited, but the little I have seen was quite... pedestrian. I can come up with a better adventure with little effort. Perhaps I had bad luck?

Remove ads