• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Bard: A missed opportunity.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I've always liked bards ever since they came out, but the 5th edition bard has left me with a bit of disappointment. This edition really could have had them focusing on their songs, but instead they are given 9th level spells.

I don't want most of their magical ability tied up in a spell list. In my opinion, that seems rather "tacked on". I would have liked to see bards with a few spell slots that go to maybe 5th level, to represent their dabbling, but their songs be what really brings the class out.

What do you think?

I've always liked bards ever since they came out, but the 5th edition bard has left me with a bit of disappointment. This edition really could have had them focusing on their songs, but instead they are given 9th level spells.

I don't want most of their magical ability tied up in a spell list. In my opinion, that seems rather "tacked on". I would have liked to see bards with a few spell slots that go to maybe 5th level, to represent their dabbling, but their songs be what really brings the class out.

What do you think?

I'm kind of the opposite of you. I've always thought performing during battle was conceptually weak. If I could have a bard that was like, a rogue subtype with lore mastery abilities, social exemption (like the jester's perogative) and campfire magic (heals and day-long buffs, etc,) I'd take it. Barring that, this iteration of the bard is the next best thing.

Disagree. I like Bards as full casters, especially since a lot of their iconic abilities in the past were mostly redundant with spells. Besides, with Bards using musical instruments as their focuses for spells with no-cost, no-consumption material components, you can easily fluff those as the results of music. And the verbal components as lyrics, oratory or what have you. It also opens up a lot more design space for perhaps more Bard-specific spells later on.

And come on, you can't deny the cool factor in roleplaying with what words you're casting Power Word: Kill. :D

1of3

Explorer
A bard was my first 3e character and I was somewhat confused about the split between music per day and spells per day. Obviously both are supernatural effects, why have two pools?

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I think what could have been better was to make their songs usable anytime and give them a wide range of abilities to supplement their songs while giving them Ritual Casting.

Consonant Dude

First Post
The new bard is described in on page 45 of the PHB as being "an inspiring magician". That's pretty much how the class looks to me but precisely not what I wished for.

I was hoping for a class that would have ruled the social interaction pillar the way the fighter rules the combat pillar. Instead I have a guy casting "sleep" with a lute.

I was hoping for a class that would have ruled the social interaction pillar the way the fighter rules the combat pillar. Instead I have a guy casting "sleep" with a lute.
High Charisma + Expertise + proficiency in any 3 skills you want (even more if you go Lore) + spells like Friends, Charm Person, Suggestion/Mass Suggestion, Tongues, Dominate Person/Monster, Modify memory, etc. not enough for you there? I mean, all of that together pretty much rules the social interaction pillar as utterly as you can get.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
High Charisma + Expertise + proficiency in any 3 skills you want (even more if you go Lore) + spells like Friends, Charm Person, Suggestion/Mass Suggestion, Tongues, Dominate Person/Monster, Modify memory, etc. not enough for you there? I mean, all of that together pretty much rules the social interaction pillar as utterly as you can get.

Those use spell slots and not everyone is going to enjoy you casting spells in front of them, especially if you are trying to sway the king. They really could have been the masters of multiple actions by having multiple effects going on at once.

I think the bard should have been the best at buffing. If you like the Warlord then I believe it should have been a sub class.
Who needs buffs when you have Sleep and Hold Person/Monster to set up auto-critting?

But in case that's not enough, there's also things like Faerie Fire (advantage for everyone!) and Compulsion (opportunity attacks galore!). Plus whatever else buffs-wise the Bard wants to pick up via Magical Secrets.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads