D&D 5E The Bard's Inspiration Die...

What do you think of the Bardic Inspirational die?

• I like it the way it is!

Votes: 58 86.6%
  • It should be ALL allies within range.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • It should be a number of allies equal to Cha mod, min of 1.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 3 4.5%

Stalker0

Legend
I feel like the theme of this thread is changing.

Initially the OP wanted feedback on Bard's inspiration die....hoping the general consensus was that is weak. That did not happen, but the OP clearly wants to change the mechanic.

That is fine, this is simply changing into a houserule thread, instead of discussing the original ability.

How do you feel about the Bard's Inspiration die?

I am not too fond of it.

I feel it should grant the Inspiration to a number of allies equal to it's Charisma mod (a minimum of 1) to those in range, not just 1 ally.

What do you think?

If I may ask . . .

What level is your Bard?

The big power-jump at 5th level for the Bard class is not so much getting access to 3rd level spells. It is also now having inspiration dice renew on a short rest rather than a long one.
Only having 3 or 4 inspiration dice per day at 1st level does seem lacklustre, but when you have enough to use one every other combat round, they're much better.

5ekyu

Hero
If I may ask . . .

What level is your Bard?

The big power-jump at 5th level for the Bard class is not so much getting access to 3rd level spells. It is also now having inspiration dice renew on a short rest rather than a long one.
Only having 3 or 4 inspiration dice per day at 1st level does seem lacklustre, but when you have enough to use one every other combat round, they're much better.

or at 20th level when you get a chance back at the start of every initiative roll if you are out. not that 20th level matters for many campaigns. but it is there.

For me, whan looking at "balance" and many other things i usually focus in on tiers 2 and 3 or levels 5-15 because in my experience that is where the bulk of the campaigns i have ever played in (that lasted any time at all) was played. before that you are just "getting along" or "warming up" it has often seemed but the real "what we play for" lurks in the 5-15 and likely grows from the stuff in 1-4 or pre-chargen.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I really don't feel like it's that powerful, but then again it's just me. I've played in games with Bards, and have played it the way I mentioned, and everything works out fine, nothing too powerful there.

The solution for Cutting Words could be effect a number a enemies up to your Charisma modifier in range (a minimum of 1).

Honestly, I don't see the big deal. It's a one use, in most cases to either an attack roll or a saving throw. It ranges from 6-12 depending on what level you are. It makes the party feel awesome when they (or a majority of them) have Inspiration.

Can you combine Bless & Inspiration? And if so, meh, whatever. 1d20+x + 1d4 +1d6. As a DM, you could rule whichever is higher between the result of the Bless and Inspirational die if that matters to you so much.

Oh, and I guess throw a level 6+ Paladin in there, with a plus to all saves based on their Cha mod (probably a +3 to +4 at that level).

The better solution to Cutting Words would be to eliminate "The creature is immune.... if it's immune to being charmed."
Many powerful creatures are immune to charm.

5ekyu

Hero
1d6 to one attack, ability check or save that you can grant once a round? How is that overpowered?
Well obviously there is no objective scale that we can place any effect on and say overpowered or borderline overpowered oe weak or useless.

So answering instead a broader question for "what make the BID powerful" instead of angels on pinheads parsing of borderlines...

Its 1d6 only at level 1-4 then grows each tier to 1d12.

It is applied as a bonus action leaving main action alone.

It lasts minutes meaning if you are preparing ahead you can cover your entire party ahead of time.

Unlike bless and other such spells it does not require your concentration slot.

It is chosen AFTER you see the roll which means its value is magnified... You wont burn it on a really bad or really good roll just when you are pretty dang sure it will make the difference. If you hold it for a few rounds you likely have a good idea of needed AC and spell DC by then so it can be very well applied.

Finally, you can choose to apply it obviously to whoever in any cirvumstance it helps the most so that gives you a goid degree of amplifying to your key "tool" for the encounter you are in. You can apply a new bardic die as soon as they use one on your next turn, etc.

All together it wont play out the same in all games but i think many games have seen the overall benefit of having a bard to be one of the stronger options for party of four groups.

I know bard is in my top 3 classes to play list (clerics also and Warlock just cuz i like its quite unique arcane options)

So all in all these add up to making it

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
1d6 to one attack, ability check or save that you can grant once a round? How is that overpowered?

It breaks bounded accuracy hard. +1d6 is +3.5 on average. At levels 1-4, the inspiration die has a bigger impact on success than Proficiency Bonus does, by almost double. At higher levels the die size increases, although the difference between the die’s impact and Proficiency get smaller thanks to increasing Proficiency bonuses. Still, the Bard is effectively able to grant anyone a better-than Proficiency Bonus with any attack, check, or save, that stacks with their Proficiency bonus. That’s an incredibly useful ability. I would say it’s overpowered(which is why I included the word “borderline”) but it is one of the best abilities in the game.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

1) That's not the ability. The actual ability has been described in depth in this thread.
2) Abilities need to be compared to something to be determined whether it is under or overpowered. This ability is very strong on a full caster. It's almost good enough to be a classes' main thing.

mellored

Legend
I do agree it would make more sense for a bard to have more group effects.

Though, you would have to rebalance things if you did.

i.e.

Bardic Insperation:
As a bonus action, you can sing or play your instruament. Singing takes concentration, as if you are on a spell. Each friendly creature who can hear you gains advantage on their skill checks. You can use this feature for a total of 1 minutes (10 rounds), and regain it's use after a long rest.

Valor:
Battle Song
When you use bardic insperation, each creature affected also gains +1d4 to their attack rolls.

Lore:
Cutting Words
When you use bardic insperation, each unfriendly creature who can hear you takes a 1d4 penaty to attack rolls.

Swords:
Once per turn, when you attack while using bardic insperation, you can perform a flourish.

Whispers:
Psychic Blade
When you are using bardic insperation, your melee attacks deal an extra 2d6 psycich damage. Increasing to ....

Glamour:
When a creature under the effects of your bardic insperation starts their turn, they gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier. In addition, can use their reaction to take the disingage action.

Level 5
Font of Insperation: You regain your use of Bardic Insperation durring as short rest.

transtemporal

Explorer
I hear what you're saying in terms of the die being relatively powerful compared to the level you gain it. It's not that I think Inspiration is bad but compared to Bless, Inspiration is only "ok".

Having been both the recipient and giver of both Bless and Inspiration, only Bless has the players arguing who should get it. Hell, I once had the 4 weapon-weilder types basically present their resumes. Inspiration is like "Does anyone need Inspiration?" *silence* "Yeah sure, I guess I could use it". That's because everyone understands that +2.5 to attack rolls and saving throws for the entire combat is better than +3.5 for one attack or save.

And of course, when they get Bless AND Inspiration, players get start to get crazy greedy eyes. :)

Remove ads