• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Battlemind is out on the CB

davethegame

Explorer
Now that we know all the PH3 classes, anybody have any rumors to the soul knife? Do you think they're considering it a paragon path or maybe "theme" (see dark sun)?

OR do you think they're looking at it as a build for Psionic Power or a class for some future supplement?

I would put my money on a Paragon Path for Soul Knife.

Oddly, I think the Battlemind's new build was the only one not talked about for Psionic Power: my notes from the product seminar say that Ardents get an Empath build, a weapon-using Monk, and ectoplasm minion Psion, but nothing on Battlemind.

Pour

First Post
I'm actually a fan of the Battlemind, and I'm trying out a Voidsoul Genasi Battlemind next weekend.

There's some very nontraditional Defender stuff going on, and I really want to see how it plays out. They come off to me as an offensive defender, if that makes any sense. Speed of Thought to get in close before initiative even starts, Battlemind's Demand to mark, Blurred Step to shift with foes, and what I think is the scariest part of the Battlemind, Mind Spike. Dealing a monster psychic and force equal to its damage dealt sounds very potent to me, and the entire Battlemind power suite seems like it will be harrying and forcing the enemy to move away from him.

And that fits the theme quite well, powers that instill fear, create delusions and overwhelm the enemy with incredible force of personality. Don't laugh, but in a lot of ways the Battlemind reminds me of modern Batman, who uses fear, misdirection and his sheer force of presence to cow, frighten and defeat his foes (among melee ability and a tremendous intellect).

True, there's few answers for a shift and charge (does charge provoke an OA?), but as someone else pointed out, I'd rather keep enemies to basic melee attacks as my last ditch defense effort than nothing. In any case, I'll give it a shot.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is essentially a Defender with little stickiness and no ranged options.

...Well, I suppose that's one way to ensure people don't find psionics overpowered ;p

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Well, he can move to engage enemies immediately with speed of thought. As a minor action, he can mark one or more enemies,and can move with the enemies if they shift. He also has a mark that does more automatic damage than divine challenge if they hit someone else but the battlemind. It sounds like he has plenty of ways to engage enemies and discourage them from attacking someone else. What else do you want from a defender?

weem

First Post
My Gobbo Rogue died in one of the campaigns I have been playing in (16 games in now) and I will be playing a Warfroged Battlemind to replace him (we had 3 strikers counting me and our Defender had to quit playing, so the timing was good).

I'm really looking forward to it. Despite the beating it is taking (mostly on other boards) I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Level 7 btw.

andarilhor

First Post
Now that we know all the PH3 classes, anybody have any rumors to the soul knife? Do you think they're considering it a paragon path or maybe "theme" (see dark sun)?

OR do you think they're looking at it as a build for Psionic Power or a class for some future supplement?

We know all the PH3 classes?
Wasn´t 6 classes? Until now I have only seen 5 (Battlemind, Ardent, Psion, Seeker and Monk), what about the 6th?
About the Soul Knife: I believe will be a PP for the monk.

Remove ads