• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Bells of Fortune: Another Action Point System (short)

PoeticJustice

First Post
Hello ENWorld!

I know Action Points aren't widely used, but I thought I'd post my interpretation on the system for comment/critique. I used to use Action Points in every campaign, but now I feel like it leads to an arms race between players and the DM so I'm replacing the system with this one.

I'm thinking of introducing this next week, so please feel free to comment on it.

The Bells of Fortune
This campaign will reward acts that improve the game experience using a system called Bells of Fortune, named for the small jingle bells in my dice box. Whenever a player does something of sufficient merit (chipping in for snacks, giving rides, generally being helpful) and whenever a character effects an impressive bit of roleplaying (not necessarily social-interaction roleplaying), they may be rewarded with a Bell of Fortune, which can then be traded in to the DM to achieve one of the seven effects described below.

There is no limit to the amount of bells which can be used in a single round. Bells may be traded, given, and loaned to other players.

- Cheat: 'take 10' on any d20 roll, even if one normally could not.
- Courage: Reduce a fear effect you are under by one step (panicked > frightened > shaken)
- Focus: activate a special ability limited in daily uses.
- Inspiration: Gain 50 EXP per level.
- Luck: +2 bonus to any d20 roll.
- Second Wind: Heal 1/4 max HP, usable 1/day.
- Wish: As spell, requires 30 bells.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

llamatron2000

First Post
I think this rule depends on your group. In mine, certain players of mine would be furious at this idea, player inequity(action points) given for out-of-character stuff.

PoeticJustice

First Post
I'd thought of that, but in my players contribute to the game in different ways.

For example, one guy who is very good at roleplaying brings his own food instead of chipping in for pizza.

Another, who can be an infuriating munchkin, is always on time, gives rides to other players, not only buys food for the group but insists on paying his share for stuff I bought expressly for the game--he helps the game proceed smoothly in ways that aren't represented when we roll dice.

It seemed wrong to me that I would reward some good behavior and not others when it all adds up to a more pleasurable experience.

Remove ads