• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The best 1 level dip for fighter?

Phion

Explorer
I have been pondering about the best single level dip for the fighter (I usually prefer a single level in a class for various reasons) and I think I can make a strong case for the forge cleric.

The feature that makes your weapon a +1 magic item is pretty much the main selling point. This is of course to do with being to overcome creatures resistances which can be a problem for fighters, the +1 to attack and damage is useful of course for all those extra attacks the fighter makes. Another bonus is even if you get an actual magic weapon you can either
a) Place the benefit on to a back up weapon
b) Help your martial buddy who does not have a magic weapon
c) Place benefit onto armour to increase AC

You then pick a few of your preferred cantrips (depending on tastes) and gain 2 level 1 spell slots. To get out a bit more damage done you can use bless or if you want more defence you can cast shield. You can also use identify as a ritual which is pretty neat.

Smithing tools if you don't already have it is a cute bonus.

So what are peoples thoughts? Is there a level dip you would recommend over this one (rogue springs to my mind)?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I think that casters make good dips, not the least because they can empower existing strengths (e.g. Shield spell with a high AC) and shore up weaknesses, but as well most fighters have the "resource" of a concentration slot that is unused. If they don't have a good use of other resources (say reaction or bonus action) it's not hard to find spells that fit in those as well.

However, with no STR, DEX or CON casters, we're looking at making INT, WIS or CHR into a minimum of 13, which could be a sizable investment - up to 5 points via point buy or cutting out a full half of the options with standard array (assuming no racial mods). WIS is one of the most important saves, and also useful for the very common Perception skill, so it's not much of a cost. If you want to play a face character then CHR can be used well, otherwise it's of very limited use. An educated character can use INT, but that's less common skill usage than WIS and likely CHR so I'd rank that one last.

I could see a CHR-based caster having a lot of luck as well, specifically Sorcerer with shield and some other goodies. But Cleric with Guidance (cantrip), Bless (concentration slot), Healing Word (if you have a free bonus action), and the like probably take the cake.

Phion

Explorer
Agreed, typically knock my wisdom to 13 then follow up with a resilient feat into wisdom for respectable defence against mind control effects.

Dausuul

Legend
Interesting question. Normally fighter is the dip class (for that sweet, sweet Action Surge). If you're playing a fighter but dipping something else, and only dipping a single level... hmm.

You make a solid case for the forge cleric. It does depend on how generous your DM is with the magic items, though. The stingier your DM, the better the forge cleric dip becomes. To get the most out of the dip, play an eldritch knight, so you have more spell slots to play with. A fighter who can cast shield in combat is a scary thing.

Rogue is an excellent dip for a Dex fighter. You get Expertise and +1d6 damage on your first attack each round. But I think it's possible to do better.

Here's my pick: Hexblade warlock. Hex and Hexblade's Curse both stack fearsomely with the fighter's ability to attack six bazillion times per round, and they refresh on a short rest, so you'll have at least one of them up most fights. If you go eldritch knight, you can use your EK slots to cast hex as well.

The best part is that Hexblade's Curse does not require concentration, so you can stack it with hex. If you really want to go to town on an enemy, you can Curse that enemy on the first round, whack it twice with Extra Attack, then on the second round cast hex and Action Surge to attack four times with a bonus 1d6+3 damage per hit. And after a short rest, it all recharges and you can do it again.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
I like Warlock (Hexblade). You get the baleful curse and hex (once each per SR), and 2 cantrips. However, I would not stop with a 1 level dip. Level 2 gets you an additional spell per short rest and 2 invocations, while level 3 can get you a pact boon and 2nd level spell access. I had a human variant fighter that started with the Magic Initiate (Warlock) feat. Fighter 1, Warlock 1, then fighter to 5, then warlock to 3, then he planned to take fighter levels from there on out... but died. He was not a hexblade, but if I ever rebuild him he will be.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'd say go Rogue --

- the dex minimum helps with save and initiative
- +1d6 sneak attack when you attack with advantage or when an ally is nearby.
- expertise in 2 skills (every fighter benefits from choosing Athletics; helps with grapples, etc.; but consider stealth perception intimidation etc.)
- one bonus skill (any) and proficiency in thieves' tools (even without a high dex, you can help to give advantage to the rogue)
- and you learn thieves' cant; a second level down the road would give you Cunning Action.

Cleric is a good choice, no doubt. In addition to Forge, Knowledge Domain gives you expertise in 2 knowledge skills, so even if you've dumped intelligence, you're still competitive. Arcana domain gives you 2 wizard cantrips in addition to your cleric ones.

CTurbo

Explorer
This IS an interesting question since the Fighter is usually not looking for such a dip. I don't think we can answer fully without knowing what type of Fighter you intend this to be? Melee? GWF? TWF? Archer? Battle Master? EK? Dex based? Str based?

I think a 1 level Barbarian dip is logical whether Dex or Str based as long as you avoid Heavy Armor. A Dex Fighter could enjoy a nice unarmored AC while resisting damage a couple times a day.

All of the Clerics have something nice to add depending on what you want to do. I really like Tempest or War if you're building a melee Fighter. Especially if you roll for stats and can get a higher than normal Wis score. Even Life would be great.

I think Rogue would be best for Archers and great for Dex fighters in general for obvious reasons.

Even a 1 level Bard dip would be fun if you want to play a Charismatic Fighter.

Draconic Sorcerer gives you better than Light Armor unarmored AC if you're going Dex Fighter.

I do agree about if you're going to dip, you'd get so much more from a 2 level dip no matter which class.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
On a Longbow Fighter I like War cleric. it gives a bonus action option without resorting to Crossbow expert. Probably not as strong as Forger cleric though.

Phion

Explorer
I have to admit you guys make a solid point for the hexblade, I think that's the best choice if you want to be a charisma fighter.

To further explain the one level dip, it is just a personal preference to keep my character as true to themselves as possible without min maxing. Also if my DM allows it I like to keep my fighter as martial based as possible, some DMs have allowed me to justify the spells of multiclass as purely physical to keep up the none magic user image. So for example searing smite might be wrapping the sword in cloth and setting it alight or using shield and justifying it as focusing on solid defence for a time (in these situations I drop cantrips as its harder to justify why I can just setting things alight at will).

Phion

Explorer
If I could turn back time and further clarify the post I would have added a multiclass dip that would suit the majority of fighter builds; for example a +1 magic item would suit a lot of fighter builds regardless of focusing on tanking or ranged, whereas raging as a barbarian would not suit a number of fighter builds.

Remove ads