• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best class for solo games

Ruslanchik

First Post
I know this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen a similar thread since 4E was released.

So, what is the best class for playing a low-level solo campaign? This is not restricted to edition, so 3E or 4E anecdotes are welcome. What I am really looking for are the elements that make a good solo class. What about a particular class has made your solo campaigns compelling. Conversely, what classes are inappropriate for solo play?

I imagine that well-rounded characters with the ability to heal themselves would be best, but I'm sure there are people who have effectively played a wizard from level 1 in a solo game. I'd love to hear these stories.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I've had good luck with Paladins and Rangers. The martial combat skill, combined with healing powers and abilities, makes the character a little more self-sufficient than most.

Bards and rogues are a good choice in high-magic, solo campaigns, so long as they keep their Use Magic Device skill pumped up.

Ruslanchik

First Post
Bards and rogues are a good choice in high-magic, solo campaigns, so long as they keep their Use Magic Device skill pumped up.

Bards certainly have the jack-of-all-trades thing going for them, but they also suffer from the master of none syndrome. In a role-play-heavy campaign, a bard could really shine. He just might end up as a shiny pool of blood in a combat-heavy one.

Zankafen

First Post
I've soloed a Wizard from level 1, all it takes is a good selection of spells and a decent charisma. Just stick to the cities for a while to get some cash and levels, then hit the dungeons. It gets easier when you hit 6th level and can get a tank for a cohort... then it's smooth sailing, especially in 3rd edition when Haste allowed you to cast a fireball and follow it up with a second one...

Furtive Noise

First Post
If you want to play the same kind of adventures as a 'normal' D&D campaign, the above answers are all good, and w/ a cohort anything becomes more possible- but if you want the most interesting solo campaign that highlights the best aspects of one-man play then I think rogues or maybe versatile rangers are where its at.

Think about the cool stuff, often noncombat but w/ the chance of it occuring, that rogues can do- exploring new environments unseen, casing a place to rob and attempting to escape, ability to interact w/ terrain in cool ways where plate users would falter.... Rogues often want to go off and do their own thing but as a DM I need to limit these fun often spontaneous deeds in the interest of keeping the whole table involved in the nights adventure. But w/ one pc as the star, living off his wits as either a thief, treasurehunter, or patriotic spy all new avenues for adventure pop up. Even those who value combat need not feel left out as a well prepared rogue can be lethal, stocked w/ items, wands, and the element of surprise.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
For 4e, I'd probably have to go the fighter.

The fighter has the defences, the damage output, the health and the self-healing to go the distance. Skill-wise, he won't be a great diplomat, but since when are adventurers good at that anyway?

Aristotle

First Post
I ran a 2e game for two players where they both wanted to play thieves. I specifically designed the campaign around the characters, and they had a lot of fun for the few levels we ran it.

I've got no evidence for 4e, but a paladin seems like a good choice given the potential to take damage, deal damage, and self heal. Maybe multiclassed to cleric for an additional heal? Otherwise I'd probably go with a striker to dish out as much damage as quickly as possible, and I'd still consider multiclassing into a leader class for the extra heal.

All bets are off if the campaign is tailored to the character. I'd bet most any class could work given the right campaign.

juggler434

First Post
I would go fighter or paladin for 4th ed, multiclassing into cleric. The extra heal would be worth it in my opinion.

On a different note, I think solo campaigns have an advantage that they can be tooled closer to the character, so as long as GM and player are working together, you could have a fun and interesting solo campaign with any class.

Particle_Man

Explorer
If we are going for "Specially Interesting" I think a solo monk campaign would be a nice change of pace. You could throw in lots more details about the Monastery, etc., and since other characters would not be around it would not be as noticeable that the class is mechanically weaker than its compatriots.

Remove ads