• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best Power in MP is....Warlord Utility 6 Power.

Then you've got a party that rolls over and dies to flying artillery, and is probably pretty boring. But you'd have a very scary nova.

Hypothetically, they are all using tratnyrs. :p

Of course you could add more wackiness if we are doing this at range. Say 4 of them are multiclassed into ranger and have activated Spitting-Cobra Stance the round before. Warlord 1 has multiclassed Spellscarred and uses Gravity of the Moment at teh begining of the nova to slide the aerial target towards the party. As long at the party is appropriately positioned all together, the movement towards them (horziontally, unfortunately, since you cant force move horizontally) gives the party an extra 4 attacks during the nova, sending the total up to 29 attacks that round. If we are really novaing, the 5 warlords all activate Unleash Hell on their second turn of the round, pumping the total number of attacks up 20 for a grand total of 49 attacks. That is bound to hurt.

EDIT: Actually, if i recall correctly, Gravity of the Moment would have to take teh place of Unleash Hell or Rush of Battle. OK, so there will be a few less than 49 attacks.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I didn't even see this power....and here I thought the level 6 encounter warlord utility that healed you for 2 surges + 5+ cha mod in healing was the broken one!

Cor Azer

First Post
I guess I'll ask here instead of forking it out into it's own thread:

How do once/round abilities interact with Guileful Switch? Typically, things like sneak atack and immediate actions are "reset" at the beginning of your turn.

So what happens if rogue goes first, gets in his sneak attack, then the warlord goes, and uses Guileful Switch to let the rogue attack again in the same round. Can the rogue use his sneak attack again (assuming combat advantage against something)?

Last edited:

luide

First Post
He can't Sneak Attack. It requires for both conditions 1) "Only once per round" 2) "You haven't done Sneak attack since the start of your last turn" to be true at the same time.

Errated sneak attack (PHB117):
Once per round, when you have combat advantage against an enemy and hit that enemy with an attack that uses a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling, the attack deals extra damage.
If you have dealt Sneak Attack damage since the start of your turn, you cannot deal it again until the start of your next turn.”

Even though the latter condition is fulfilled, first one isn't as it's still the same round.

Cor Azer

First Post
He can't Sneak Attack. It requires for both conditions 1) "Only once per round" 2) "You haven't done Sneak attack since the start of your last turn" to be true at the same time.

Errated sneak attack (PHB117):
Once per round, when you have combat advantage against an enemy and hit that enemy with an attack that uses a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling, the attack deals extra damage.
If you have dealt Sneak Attack damage since the start of your turn, you cannot deal it again until the start of your next turn.”

Even though the latter condition is fulfilled, first one isn't as it's still the same round.

Are those separate conditions, or is the second just a clarification of the first?

Consider the situation where the rogue rolled poorly and got the lowest initiative. He takes his turn, but for the sake of argument, doesn't hit (hasn't used Sneak Attack). Next round begins, and an opponent provokes an OA while granting combat advantage - rogue hits and applies Sneak Attack damage. Later in the same round, the rogue gets his actual turn... but can't use his Sneak Attack.

I can certainly see that argument, but it seems... unsatisfactory for some unidentifiable reason. I guess... with the exception of Guileful Switch, I can't see any reason to have both the 1/round and reset on start of your turn restrictions on abilities like sneak attack.

I don't have my books handy - do Immediate Actions have the same restrictions (1/round and reset at start of turn)?

jontherev

First Post
I kind of like the 12th level Twiceborn Leader power, Twinning Ploy, that lets you and an ally basically roll 2d20 for 1 attack/round for a whole encounter (obviously, you do this on your first action). This raises your and 1 ally's hitting percentage a lot. Battle Captain's great, but Twinning Ploy is quite awesome. I like how the warlord gets the benefit for once. It also gives you a little breathing room if someone in your party accidentally does something stupid like opening a door and triggering the next encounter before you finished off the current encounter (power lasts 5 minutes). Crit percentage also goes up for you and the ally.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
jontherev said:
I kind of like the 12th level Twiceborn Leader power, Twinning Ploy, that lets you and an ally basically roll 2d20 for 1 attack/round for a whole encounter...

Our group's warlord yearns for that ability. Since we're 4th level, he has quite a few fights he must survive before getting there.

WP

Remove ads