• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

the best second level cleric EVER

corcio

First Post
ok how should i be building my dwarven cleric. i start level 2. i was actually thinking of going towards the thaumaturgist. and work on conjuration more than anything else. but is there something else i could be looking at as the only healer. i dont want to be a totally uber healer. just a normal one. but i want to have that OOHH cool factor. what would be a good build ?

Stormborn

Explorer
The best, and appropriate, place for Character Builds is in the Rules Forum. Ask the Mods to move it over there and you will get more answers.

Nail

First Post
See if your DM will allow you to change the Summoning Domain power to the Augment Summoning feat for free. It's a good change, and not over-powered, given the restricted summoning list a Cleric will have. (Can't use opposite alignment spells, so half the list at each level is off-limits.)

nittanytbone

First Post
First, Races of Stone has good racial substition levels:

Racial Sub 1 - Trade Turn Undead for Giant Smiting (based on con). Upside: You can now dump charisma. Downside: You can't turn undead (not much of a loss), you can't use Divine Metamagic (not much of a loss at these levels, but you will miss Extend Spell-->Persistent Spell-->Divine Metamagic Persistent Spell with Divine Power and Rigteous Might at level 9).

Verdict: If you have AWESOME stats (aka somehow have good str, con, wis, and cha, along with decent int and dex) then you'll want turn undead. If you have to dump some things, I'd grab the Giant Smiting and dump charisma.

Racial Sub 4 - Trade a level 2 spell slot for +2 damage with warhammers. Yes please.

Prestige Classes

If you turn undead, then keep as many cleric levels as possible until you finally hit Thaumaturgist.

If you do not turn undead, feel free to jump into a PrC ASAP. I highly suggest Church Inquisitor. Its easy to get into, has a nice skill list, and costs you only some progression on your fort save (which should be awesome anyways as you're a dwarf) and the loss of turn undead (which you've already given up). What's not to like? You should be able to do Cleric 4/Church Inquisitor X/Thaumaturgist X -- you'll want four levels of cleric for the sake of BAB, saves, and the racial sub level.

Domains

If you turn undead, you'll be sticking with cleric levels for a long time, so feel free to take a domain that scales in power as you grow (Strength, Travel, etc all have level-based effects).

If you do not turn undead and thus plan on jumping into a PrC, steer towards domains that give a set bonus regardless of your cleric level. War, Dwarf, Luck, Planning, etc. all give a fixed bonus whether you have 1 cleric level or 20.

The animal domain could be nice to get access to more summon spells.

Feats

Spell Focus Conjuration is nearly worthless as few Conjuration spells have save DCs. You'll want to delay taking it as long as possible, probably level 6 or 9, just before you take your first Thaumaturgist level.

Spontaneous Summoner is nice for you as you'll be good at summoning. The downside is that you need to get four ranks of Knowledge (Religion) somehow.

If you turn undead and have high enough charisma, you have lots of Divine feats available. With the Planning domain, Extend Spell (free from domain) --> Persistent Spell --> Divine Metamagic Persistent Spell is the classic cleric killer combo. Kind of feat intense, though. Quicken Spell --> DM Quicken is useful as well. Finally, I like Divine Vigor at lower levels -- bonus HP and a faster move speed are both useful so long as you have at least Cha 12. At higher levels, having to use a standard action to activate it is a killer.

Power Attack is always useful if you want to do damage in melee.

Augment Healing is the best low-investment healer feat out there, but it requires some ranks in Heal.

Blightersbane

First Post
trickery & travel domians
large shield, full plate, Dwarven waraxe
get magicals to cover your weaknesses such as ring of evasion, boots of speed
cloak of resistance is a favorite.

Blightersbane

Iku Rex

Explorer
Nail said:
(Can't use opposite alignment spells, so half the list at each level is off-limits.)
True Neutral. ;)
In the FR the dwarven god Vergadin is N and has the Trickery domain.

The alienist PrC maks your summoned creatures pseudonatural rather than celestial/fiendish, adding more options for a good or evil cleric.

A level of divine disciple (PGtF) lets you can communicate telepathically with summoned creatures of the same alignment as yourself.

seans23

First Post
Blightersbane said:
trickery & travel domians
large shield, full plate, Dwarven waraxe
get magicals to cover your weaknesses such as ring of evasion, boots of speed
cloak of resistance is a favorite.

Blightersbane

I'd take luck over trickery... that daily re-roll is quite handy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads