D&D 4E The Best Thing from 4E

What are your favorite 4E elements?

I don't have time to post anything of consequence here so I figured I'd just post a few definitions from the FPG that will hopefully help the conversation.

The Black Curtain
: The effects of a variety of Techniques a GM may employ to keep his use of Force hidden from the other participants in the game, such that they are at least somewhat under the impression that their characters' significant decisions are under their control. See Illusionism, Force.

Force: The Technique of control over characters' thematically-significant decisions by anyone who is not the character's player. When Force is applied in a manner which disrupts the Social Contract, the result is Railroading.

Illusionism: A family of Techniques in which a GM, usually in the interests of story creation, exerts Force over player-character decisions, in which he or she has authority over resolution-outcomes, and in which the players do not necessarily recognize these features.

I'm also going to include Calvinball because it is relevant when employed by the GM (especially covertly): A potentially-dysfunctional Technique of Hard Core Gamist play, characterized by making up the rules of a game as it is played, especially in the immediate context of advantaging oneself and disadvantaging one's opponents.

I'll try to post some play examples and some analysis in the upcoming days if I have time.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Not sure what reskinning opens up in terms of abuse, but I distinguish two separate procedures here. There is 'reskinning', which is purely narrative, calling an axe a sword for instance, in which no mechanical alteration is made,
Right, I agree that this is the way I'm used to "reskinning" being used.
and then there's customizing, where keywords are altered. The latter can be abused, you can put the cold keyword on a power and use it with Frost Cheese, etc.
Right, this is the part with potential for abuse I was commenting on when [MENTION=6790260]EzekielRaiden[/MENTION] said the following:
"There's also reskinning, which 4e explicitly encouraged on multiple occasions; there was even a Dragon article specifically about the authors' advice to people who want to reskin stuff. It specifically said that, as long as it doesn't seem abusive or intended to make a strange combination, DMs should totally be willing to do stuff like changing the keywords and damage types of powers (I believe the specific example was changing a Wizard Fire power to Cold because the Wizard player wanted to be cold-themed)."

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
If there's an important document - say that it's a list of people who are on the Big Bad's payroll, and the PCs can use that information to learn that the mysterious stranger at the inn is secretly working for the Big Bad - should I contrive to make that available to them?

Because that seems like Illusionism, to me. If I did that, then I'm saying that the player's choices don't matter, and I'm going to make sure they reach my chosen outcome either way. Or does that not count as a real choice that I'm subverting, because it wasn't a choice made with knowledge of the stakes?
You're at where I was at earlier. As far as I can tell, this isn't "illusionism" as some here define it (I would define it along the lines you do), since the players never make an informed choice on left vs. right, and thus cannot be mislead in any way. As far as I can tell, in the eyes of some, if there is no informed choice (you're just guessing on left or right), then it's "scene-framing" rather than "illusionism."

Regardless, it still reeks of railroading to me. But scene-framing always treads that line, in my opinion. It's like soft railroading; you're not saying what the outcome will be, but you are forcing specific scenes on the players regardless of their decision. No matter what, the PCs will find the incriminating documents, or they will show up to the ritual just before it's completed, or whatever. Where it differs (from my perspective) from hard railroading is that the GM doesn't force an outcome, and that the GM rolls with player decisions (so if the players just abandon the ritual, it's never presented, and they never arrive just in time).

(Just a side note: I don't really use "scene-framing" too much when I run my RPG campaign. However, I use it all the damn time when I'm running my superhero one-shots. So, it's not like I don't have a fondness for it, I just don't like it when I'm running my fantasy game. I tend not to mind so much when I'm playing in a game that someone else is running.)

pemerton

Legend
Please bear with me, but this entire concept of 'stakes' is quite unfamiliar to me. I know that Burning Wheel uses it, and people are using it to discuss 4E (and 5E!), but I've never actually sat down and read a rulebook that discussed its use. As a DM, I don't sit down and plan the stakes one way or another; it's not something I've ever consciously had to acknowledge.

It sounds like a bunch of meta-game stuff that I don't like, though. It sounds like it's the DM talking to the players, about what's going on in the game, and the potential outcome to actions that the PCs might take.
Burning Wheel doesn't have any formalised notion of "stakes". Nor does 4e. It's just a term for talking about what thing of importance to the players, as mediated through their PCs, is on the line in any given encounter.

In scene-framing, "indie"-style play of the sort the anti-illusion crowd in this thread are talking about (or, at least, me and [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]!, but I think others too), every encounter should have these sorts of stakes. Otherwise it's a waste of time!

Part of PC building in this sort of game is the players signalling to the GM what will be important to them in their play of their PCs in the game. There are a range of ways this can be done. In my Rolemaster games, my players signalled this through mechanical build choices (eg if a player choose Seduction for his character, then his character wants to be in situations where developing or manipulating emotional relationships are at the centre of things) plus backstory (when a player built a character whose backstory was of a freed slave trying to achieve a magistracy in his city, I confronted that PC with situations that put his independence and social standing under pressure).

In Burning Wheel, these things are signalled primarily through the choice of Beliefs and Instincts (and to a lesser extent Traits). Because of how BW works in both player advancement and how failed checks are resolved, there is not the same sort of reason as in Rolemaster for a tight correlation between player concerns for the game, and mechanical build choices around skills etc. As an example, one of the PCs in my BW game had a Belief that agreements must be honoured, in a context where he had made an agreement with the captain of a ship he was sailing, and where a mutiny was likely. When the mutiny came, his Belief was put under pressure: what is the character prepared to risk to honour his agreement to the captain whom the rest of the crew is planning to hang?

In 4e, these things are signalled through mechanical build choices (class, race, powers, etc) and through backstory, but unlike RM backstory is in part a function of those choices, and even moreso build choices like theme, paragon path and epic destiny. Thus, for instance, when players in my 4e game build PCs who serve the Raven Queen, I confront them with Orcus cultists. (Orcus is the Raven Queen's number-one rival, as explained in the PHB entry on the gods.)

As well as signalling via PC building (which itself has an ongoing, unfolding nature - in RM or 4e players make choices as their PCs level, and in BW a player can change a Belief or Instinct at (almost) any time), players are expected to signal via play. That is, they should be making it clear to the GM what they (as players of their PCs) care about in a given situation, and the GM should be responding to that. In terms of labels for techniques, this falls under the broad rubric of "saying yes" - in this case, what the GM is saying "yes" to is the players' evinced concerns and desires.

An example of this from my 4e game: the PCs travelled into the past and rescued an apprentice trapped in a mirror by her crazed master. In the module as written this rescue was not possible, but my game had already involved use of a wizard teleport power (suitably manipulated via a successful Arcana check) to free people from trapping mirrors, and the same thing was done here. So this apprentice ended up playing a bigger role in the game than the module author, or me as the GM who selected and ran the module, anticipated.

I then built on this in a session around 6 months later: when the PCs (returned from the past to the present) were invited to dine with the Baron of the town they were in, there were pictures on the Baron's wall of his grandmother (resembling the rescued apprentice, but older) and of his niece (the spitting image of the apprentice). The players (as their PCs) were interested in this; and I had prepared some backstory about the niece: that she was the fiance of the PCs' wizard nemesis; that they would be told, at dinner, that she was indisposed and unable to attend the dinner; and that in fact she was off conducting a secret necromantic ritual.

When the first bit came out, the PCs - having sympathetic memories of the apprentice they had rescued - were anxious. When they learned that she was absent, they realised (from memory, via Insight checks) that she was not really "indisposed" and was in fact missing, and they feared that their nemesis - himself a necromancer - had done something terrible too her. After the dinner they therefore set off to rescue her. I then used that rescue attempt as the opportunity to spring a surprise - that the niece was also a Vecna cultist and necromancer, trying to resurrect an ancient priest of Vecna but in fact, accidentally, bringing Kas back to life. This forced the players to reassess their attitude towards the niece (and to do the same for their PCs), and ]an interesting series of negotiations resulted.

There was nothing in the PCs build choices that signalled the relevance of the niece: the series of episodes described above resulted from the players manifesting an interest in a particular aspect of the fiction in play (namely, the rescued apprentice and then her descendant) and me building on that by adding more complexities and developments, until it built up to a dramatic confrontation, where the stakes were clear: loyalty to the niece - who is a necromancer, trafficking in undeath; or giving Kas what he wants - who is a vampire, trafficking in undeath. In the end the players were able to strike a bargain with Kas which upheld their loyalty to the niece; but in the next session they then killed the niece when her evil wizardly ways reasserted themselves. (And it is arguable that my handling of that denouement was not as strong as it could have been - there was probably scope to do more interesting stuff with the niece, but I also didn't want a sentimental resolution to her story. The PCs had rescued her, but not really taken any steps to redeem her, and so I wasn't going to give the players that for free.)

I can see how it makes sense when you're discussing something like a skill check, in order to better describe a situation that the PCs should be able to understand ("because of the wind blowing across this rock-face, a failure by more than 5 points will mean that you fall and could die"). What I don't see is, in your hypothetical example with Vecna stealing the souls, how would the PCs know if that plan was in place?
Which hypothetical plan?

In the actual play example of Vecna, the player knew that Vecna wanted the souls because Vecna took control of the PC's imp familiar (which had the Eye of Vecna implanted in it). So the player had to choose whether his PC would let Vecna have the souls - via the imp - or whether the PC would oppose Vecna and make sure the souls went to the Raven Queen. The player was in a position to make that choice because he had taken temporary control of the flow of souls through Torog's Soul Abattoir after the PCs had destroyed the machinery that controlled their flow and extracted their essence.

I didn't know which way the player would go (but was silently barracking for Vecna!), but he chose the Raven Queen.

If the question is how Vecna even came into the picture at all, well Vecna had been on the radar since very early in the campaign, and his wizard servant (the PCs' aforementioned nemesis) had been trying to find the way to the Soul Abattoir so as to steal the souls. So the player was hardly shocked that Vecna made a play for them! And part of his reason for implanting the Eye of Vecna in his imp was so that he might be able to get some sort of leverage over Vecna - which he did, sort of (ie Vecna acted through the imp, and hence in the presence of the PC, who was therefore able to thwart Vecna's plan).

Is the DM beholden by social convention to include some foreshadowing, such that all important choices are made with (reasonably) complete knowledge of the outcomes?
The expectation is that what is at stake should be evident on the table.

So, in the case of the Soul Abattoir, it is not a McGuffin (ie not a mere plot device). The players (and their PCs) know that robbing Torog of his soul energy will weaken him, and hence weaken his ability to hold the chaos of the Underdark at bay. So in choosing to destroy the Soul Abattoir, and thereby stop Torog stripping the essence out of those souls, they are choosing to expose the world to the risk of chaos, as the price for powering up the Raven Queen (which is what the paladin of the Raven Queen wanted) or ending the suffering of the souls in question (which is what the fighter/cleric of Moradin and the chaos sorcerer wanted - of course, the chaos sorcerer is also not averse to increasing the world's exposure to chaos!).

The PCs who don't fully support the Raven Queen (mostly the fighter/cleric, but to a lesser extent the sorcerer too) know that the consequence of destroying the Soul Abattoir is that those souls will flow to the Raven Queen, so they also know that in liberating those souls from Torog they are powering up a god they don't fully support.

The Vecna aspect to events is something that was mostly of interest to that one particular player - the invoker/wizard - but as I said he was ready for it, and made his choice, knowing that by doing so he would bring down Vecna's wrath upon himself (which he did!).

In this sort of play, the surprise to the players is not, generally, in finding out what is really going on. There are two elements of surprise. One is the GM escalating things (as with the niece - the players want their PCs to rescue her, but how do they feel about it now they know she's a Vecna-ite necromance?). The other is the outcomes of play - who knew that the players would do a deal with Kas, for instance? Or that the souls would go to the Raven Queen rather than Vecna? And these outcomes feed into subsequent events and stakes (eg only because the players showed some interest in the trapped apprentice did I introduce the Baron's niece in the way I did, and that in turn led to the particular way that Kas was brought into the game).

My issue here is that I don't plan out the story very far in advance. I can't foreshadow that there might be a lieutenant left to carry out the evil plot, because I don't know what the players are going to do leading up to that point.
On planning - I don't plan out story. That's what play is for. I conceive of situations that will speak to the players and motivate them to throw their PCs into the breach!

When I first introduced the idea of Torog's Soul Abbatoir - from memory, somewhere towards the end of heroic tier - who knew that the invoker/wizard would have an imp familiar (that was a choice the player made at mid-paragon), or that it would be implanted with the Eye of Vecna (something which happened in mid-epic)? Not every bit of backstory ends up being important - part of being an effective GM in my style is to recognise what has developed traction and is worth running with (eg the apprentice and the niece) and what is not of interest to the players and so isn't worth taking any further (examples are hard to think of because they've by definition turned out to be non-memorable, but one might be the precise reason why the gnolls were trying to convert a temple of Baphomet into a temple to Yeenoghu - although there is a chance that I will have a go at reviving the interest of that in a forthcoming session, so maybe it will turn out to be interesting after all).

If, as GM, I thought a lieutenant would be interesting, then I would introduce it into play and see whether or not the players bite. And then build it up, or let it drop, as seems appropriate. (This has reminded me of something that really got no traction - the first time the PCs met the cleric of Torog I mentioned above, she had two tiefling sorcerers helping her. I knew who they were - followers of the devil Levistus - but this never came out in play, and while Levistus remains relevant in play those two tieflings are completely irrelevant, and I wouldn't try to make anything important hang on those two NPCs. Some NPCs, like the apprentice or the niece, develop traction; others don't.)

Obviously, if they take out the lieutenant before moving on to the boss, that lieutenant won't be around to pick up the pieces. Or maybe they'll meet that lieutenant in town, and convince her to betray the Big Bad? Or convince her to pursue some other agenda, and abandon the Big Bad before the final fight (possibly without even knowing who the lieutenant is, but just treating her like any other random NPC).
If the PCs learn of the lieutenant and then kill her, or bring her round to their side, then it would be illusionist GMing to have yet another lieutenant pop out of the woodwork, behind the scenes, to keep the scheme going.

As for the players persuading the lieutenant to pursue some other agenda without knowing who she is - that doesn't sound like my sort of thing. What is the players' motivation, here? Why are they having their PCs engage with the lieutenant? Is she important to them in some other capacity (as in my case, where the players, and therefore their PCs, cared about the niece but didn't know she was a necromancer)? In that case, some sort of reveal or twist would seem in order, so the players actually know what has happened in the fiction.

What if there's an evil lair, and the left wing leads to a library full of incriminating documents, but the right wing heads to the actual goal for the PCs? If they go right first, and never investigate the left path, then they'll never find the information. If there's an important document - say that it's a list of people who are on the Big Bad's payroll, and the PCs can use that information to learn that the mysterious stranger at the inn is secretly working for the Big Bad - should I contrive to make that available to them?

Because that seems like Illusionism, to me. If I did that, then I'm saying that the player's choices don't matter, and I'm going to make sure they reach my chosen outcome either way. Or does that not count as a real choice that I'm subverting, because it wasn't a choice made with knowledge of the stakes?
I have trouble with the example - why is there something in the evil lair that is both (i) meant to be important - the secret documents, yet (ii) the players don't know about it, or have no way of knowing about it except random chance (choosing left rather than right). To me, that seems like poor design.

Another part of the design doesn't seem very clear to me, either. If the information is about a mysterious stranger at the inn, why does it matter whether the PCs get that before or after they explore the right-hand path? So what is actually at stake in choosing to go left first, than right; or right first, than left? If the answer is "nothing at all", then this reminds me of what [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] said a way upthread about random encounters: what is the virtue of randomness over GM decision-making?

In other words, if nothing turns on whether the PCs go left first, then right, or right first, then left - if it really is just random - why preserve that choice at all?

What would be more interesting would be if getting the information gave a reason not to go right, but also created a cost - instead of stopping the sacrifice now, say, the PCs get the chance to expose the whole evil plot and all its backers! But then that sounds interesting enough that it would seem better just to frame the PCs into that choice, rather than make it depend upon going left or right.

There's also the issue of the mysterious stranger. Do the players know about this person? Is s/he of interest to them? If the answer to either is "no", then why is the GM trying to push something that has not got traction with the players? If the answer to both is "yes", then why is the GM making an interesting episode of play - the PCs confronting the mysterious stranger about his/her allegiance to the bad guy - contingent on the players choosing to go left rather than right?

Returning to the issue of "Schroedinger's map": I don't use all that many floor-plan type maps in my game, outside of the context of particular encounters where I draw up the immediate surroundings. When I do, as I said upthread, their main function is to preserve coherence of backstory. An example that comes to mind is The Well of Demons in module H2. As I ran this, there was first an encounter in an entrance chamber, then a big encounter with some gnolls and their pet demon. Then a couple of NPCs who had been prisoners of the gnolls were dealt with.

Then, in the next phase of the module, there are three or four rooms to explore, the idea being to gather the items that will unlock a portal. The sequence of these rooms makes no difference - there is no particular continuity or sequence between them, and the main contribution they make to play is to give interesting settings for the PCs to strut their stuff (though I did build in some links to the Abyss which had broader thematic relevance in my campaign). The only reason for following the map, and so doing them in the order the players have their PCs open the doors, is because it saves embarrassment later over whether the Demon Blood Room was behind the left-hand or right-hand side door.

EDIT:
it still reeks of railroading to me. But scene-framing always treads that line, in my opinion. It's like soft railroading; you're not saying what the outcome will be, but you are forcing specific scenes on the players regardless of their decision. No matter what, the PCs will find the incriminating documents, or they will show up to the ritual just before it's completed, or whatever. Where it differs (from my perspective) from hard railroading is that the GM doesn't force an outcome, and that the GM rolls with player decisions (so if the players just abandon the ritual, it's never presented, and they never arrive just in time).
It's not "regardless of the players' decision."

The reason the PCs encountered the niece as she was in the process of accidentally reviving Kas wasn't independent of player decisions. It was in direct response to player decisions (decisions about the attitude of their PCs to the apprentice they rescued, to the Baron, to the fact that his niece was missing, to the niece's fiancé, plus also stuff about the Sword of Kas that I didn't mention in this post but that is outlined in the actual play post I linked to).

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I have trouble with the example - why is there something in the evil lair that is both (i) meant to be important - the secret documents, yet (ii) the players don't know about it, or have no way of knowing about it except random chance (choosing left rather than right). To me, that seems like poor design.
I would say the difference is that [MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION] would regard taking the time to explore a room that isn't central to the current conflict as being an example of skilled play. It's no different than finding a treasure chest in an hidden room in Final Fantasy or The Elder Scrolls. For many players, the choice to forestall conflict and instead take the time to explore is an explicit virtue that needs to be rewarded.

pemerton

Legend
I would say the difference is that [MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION] would regard taking the time to explore a room that isn't central to the current conflict as being an example of skilled play. It's no different than finding a treasure chest in an hidden room in Final Fantasy or The Elder Scrolls. For many players, the choice to forestall conflict and instead take the time to explore is an explicit virtue that needs to be rewarded.
I think some of this is a little cargo-cultish, in the sense of replicating earlier procedures without the contextual imbedding that made those earlier procedurals rational.

For instance, in Gygaxian D&D taking the time to explore a room is a trade-off that involves risk - extra wandering monster rolls - and costs resources - detection spells and the like - but has the potential to yield treasure, and thereby resources and XP. Managing those trade-offs, including making astute judgments based on metagaming the dungeon design, the GM's known preferences and inclinations, etc, is part of being a skilled player.

But once we move to a different context, where the "reward" is not a resource and PC-booster (as treasure is, in a Gygaxian game), and where the "cost" is not a hard mechanical risk (of wandering monsters) but rather boredom at the table (nothing interesting is there to be found, so it's just that much longer before we get to the good stuff), then it's harder for me to see what exactly the skill consists in. Especially when the sort of metagaming that is at the core of Gygaxian play (know your dungeon tropes, know your GM's preferences, etc) is being expressly eschewed.

To me, it seems to be coming very close to having to eat one's greens before getting to dessert.

(For some more general thoughts, see my next post.)

pemerton

Legend
Prompted in part by this thread, I've been looking over the 1982 book "What is Dungeons and Dragons?" (Puffin, 1982 - better known, I think, in the UK and Commonwealth than in the US). You can see the breakdown in coherence between goals of play and procedures of play already emerging:

* The book's sample PCs have meaningful backstories (a fighter who wants to reclaim his family farm, and enslaved family members, from an evil landlord; a magic-user wrongly driven from her tribe for witchcraft who belongs to a magic-college with a rvial college; a halfling thief with a vow to take revenge on those who inducted him into the thief's life);

* The book (p 108) notes that "Such backgrounds can be used by the DM to work out some later scenarios; for instance, [the fighter] might lead an expedition to take back his farm;

* But the book also notes that XP are awarded for acquiring treasure and killing monsters (though there is a cryptic, undeveloped remark that "Ingenuity and bravery will also be rewarded" (p 8)), and the book also states that the aim of play is to earn XP, and thereby levels, with "Survival and self-aggrandizement constitut[ing] success in D&D" (p 8);

* And the book refers to "the dungeons in which most adventures will take place" (p 11).​

It doesn't take very close scrutiny to see that the first two dot points above are at odds with the second two: if you want meaningful backstories to be more than the barest of background colour, you are going to need a reward system and success conditions that are not defined in terms of successful Gygaxian dungeoneering!

Similar tensions emerge in the book's account of characterisation and metagaming:

* "The players take on the personality, when role-playing, of an inhabitant of the DM's fantasy world" (p 12);

* Players should play within their characteristics, and the GM is entitled to penalise them if they don't (the example given, on p 19, is of a player with an INT 4 PC who is "consistently solving difficult problems and gaining large amounts of treasure" - in such a case, "the DM might rule that the character has a very bad memory and keeps forgetting where he has hidden his gold";

* Players should stick to alignment, and may be penalised XP by the GM if they don't;

* Players should not use information to which their PCs don't have access (eg gained by a prior, dead PC), the GM should use notes to communicate information that only a single PC would acquire, if the party splits up then half the players need to leave the table, etc;

* Yet in a case where novice players who don't know about monster immunities enter into combat with gargoyles, "the DM should point out that the party will probably perish, as it is unable to hit the Gargoyles" (p 113);

* And, more generally, while players are forbidden from reading monster descriptions during play, they should be allowed to read the monster descriptions in the rulebook before starting the adventure.​

Is the game a puzzle-solving game (in which case the players should learn about gargoyles through trial and error, surely)? Why is knowing monster descriptions not dependent on PC INT and background (which is how most contemporary D&Ders play it, I think, but was not the norm back in the earlier days, where reading up on monsters was just part of learning the rules, as it would be for a wargame)?

More fundamentally, what is the relationship between "roleplaying" (in the sense of taking on a personality, conforming to ability score and alignment descriptors, etc) and the game's success conditions (of earning XP and thereby gaining levels)? Even in 1982 this has become apparently impossible to articulate using the then-extant vocabulary.

Finally, this book contains the classic illusionistic injunctions, apparently completely unselfconsciously (pp 111-12):

The very first encounter with potentially hostile monsters is crucial. . . . If, for example, the characters fled the Hogboblins at the entrance to [the very first dungeon], the DM might rule that they ran in the direction of impassable forest. Alternatively, he might make an extra wandering monster appear in the party's path of flight. In this way the DM can avoid the party missing the dungeon completely. This is not to say that the party should be channelled into doing certain things; the players should always determine the main part of the story line or plot of an adventure. Only when the party is going right off course, or is in great danger of being killed through no fault of its own, should the DM interfere. If, for example, the DM has placed clues throughout the dungeon as to the whereabouts of a magic item, the party may simply miss all of these and so end up in a situation where it has explored almost the whole dungeon and cannot ascertain the hiding place of the item. In such a case, the DM may, if he feels justified in doing so, place another clue in an area through which the party will soon pass. This should not, of course, be done to reward parties for their bad play, merely to ensure that those who have missed things through sheer bad luck are not overly penalised. Also, if the players constantly fail to achieve their objectives they may become discouraged. The DM can make sure that this does not happen by altering the difficulty of his dungeon while play is in progress. DMs should feel no compunction when altering die rolls, rules and events if they feel this will improve the game. It is important, however, that the players not realise that this is being done, as it is just as annoying to feel that what you have achieved is not through your own endeavours as to feel that you have not attained something which you ought to have done.​

Unpacking all of the incoherence in that would require a book of one's own, but some obvious highlights:

* What does "story" or "plot" mean in the context of a game where the goal is survival and self-aggrandisement, attained by earning XP from looting and killing?;

* What are "player objectives" in this context, too, other than the sort of thing Gygax talks about at the back of his PHB, of identifying and successfully raiding particular dungeon rooms, known stashes of loot, etc?

* If the players determine "the main part of the storyline" - whatever that might be, exactly - then how can they possibly "go right off course"?

* If the players determine "the main part of the storyline" then what exactly is the function of the GM-authored dungeon, which in practice is going to be the overwhelming determinant of whatever story emerges, and is clearly decided by the GM and not the players?

* Pulling back to the most general question underlying all this incoherence, is the aim of the game to explore/discover/create the story of these characters in this co-created world, or is it for the players to use their skill and resources (with the latter including their PCs) to win the game by earning XP? And if the former, why are we using rules systems that were invented for a game with the latter aim?​

The culmination of this sort of incoherence was the 2nd ed AD&D era, and parallel issues in the so-called "Storyteller" games. And I suspect similar incoherences pervade quite a bit of 3E/PF "adventure path" play. But it is interesting to me to see them all laid out in a book published in 1982, and so presumably written in 1980-81, ie before the expiration of the hobby's first decade.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I don't have time to post anything of consequence here so I figured I'd just post a few definitions from the FPG that will hopefully help the conversation.
Wow, that's a document with an agenda. Note that it presents 'dysfunction' as virtually the only sin or failing in RP, and list /five/ types of dysfunctional 'Gamist' play vs one or two for the N & S types. Also casually dismisses critical qualities like Balance.

You might be able to lift a useable bit of jargon from it here or there, but I hope you don't drink the Kool-aid.

pemerton

Legend
list /five/ types of dysfunctional 'Gamist' play vs one or two for the N & S types.

Also casually dismisses critical qualities like Balance.
The reason for the discussion of dysunctional Gamism is because, in the context in which Edwards wrote his essay, he was trying to defend the legitimacy of gamist play against overwhelming hostility from the RPG orthodoxy (still visible every day on ENworld in pejorative references to "munckins", "power gamers", "player entitlement" etc - for an example from a current thread have a look at the "Half-orcs" thread in the 5e sub-forum, where some poster refers disparagingly to players choosing PC race for reasons of "win" rather than characterisation).

As for balance, there is no dismissal at all: this essay has an extremely nuanced discussion of balance, and what it means in the context of different playstyles and different agendas for play.

Balesir

Adventurer
What if there's an evil lair, and the left wing leads to a library full of incriminating documents, but the right wing heads to the actual goal for the PCs? If they go right first, and never investigate the left path, then they'll never find the information. If there's an important document - say that it's a list of people who are on the Big Bad's payroll, and the PCs can use that information to learn that the mysterious stranger at the inn is secretly working for the Big Bad - should I contrive to make that available to them?
You're at where I was at earlier. As far as I can tell, this isn't "illusionism" as some here define it (I would define it along the lines you do), since the players never make an informed choice on left vs. right, and thus cannot be mislead in any way. As far as I can tell, in the eyes of some, if there is no informed choice (you're just guessing on left or right), then it's "scene-framing" rather than "illusionism."

Regardless, it still reeks of railroading to me. But scene-framing always treads that line, in my opinion. It's like soft railroading; you're not saying what the outcome will be, but you are forcing specific scenes on the players regardless of their decision. No matter what, the PCs will find the incriminating documents, or they will show up to the ritual just before it's completed, or whatever. Where it differs (from my perspective) from hard railroading is that the GM doesn't force an outcome, and that the GM rolls with player decisions (so if the players just abandon the ritual, it's never presented, and they never arrive just in time).
As a thought experiment, what would you both think of a setup whereby the "room with a clue" might be visited before the "evil lair" based on a random roll of a die? Say there was a straight 50:50 chance that the room full of incriminating documents might be visited or might not - would that be "railroading"/"illusion building" or what?

Remove ads