The Best & Worst of 3rd Edition: SINGLE BEST Product of 3rd edition (poll closed)

Choose the single one you like best

• Draconomicon (WotC)

Votes: 46 6.2%
  • Eberron Campaign Setting (WotC)

Votes: 124 16.8%
  • Magic Item Compendium (WotC)

Votes: 37 5.0%
  • Player's Handbook II (WotC)

Votes: 81 11.0%
  • Spell Compendium (WotC)

Votes: 45 6.1%
  • Unearthed Arcana (WotC)

Votes: 81 11.0%
  • Complete Book of Eldritch Might (MP)

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe (XRP)

Votes: 35 4.7%
  • Midnight (FF)

Votes: 31 4.2%
  • Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords (Pz)

Votes: 83 11.3%
  • Ptolus (MP)

Votes: 104 14.1%
  • Tome of Horrors I (rev.) (NG)

Votes: 38 5.2%
  • I want ZAZ, and they ain’t got it.

Votes: 19 2.6%

• Poll closed .

grrtigger

First Post
paz said:
How about if we link it to longevity of account? Or to include only those with community supporter accounts?

Or maybe display the results in several views, such as total votes, community supporter v. not, etc.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Apparently polls are set to allow non-members to vote. If anyone is curious, 124 non-members voted for Ptolus; 272 for Pathfinder; and 211 for Eberron. I'm too lazy to compare IP addresses. :)

danbuter1

First Post
So if they are not regular posters here, they don't count? I don't really like that point of view. If anything, having this many non-posters here may give a better impression of what the general populace likes, instead of die-hard fans like most of the people here.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
The problem isn't that there are people voting who aren't regulars. (Hi guys!) The problem is that the nature of the poll has been subverted from the original poster's intent. It's turned from a Single Best Product poll into a Which Setting Has The Most Rabid Fans poll. It's still interesting information, just not quite the same thing.
-blarg

Turjan

Explorer
lazerfish said:
I haven't read a bunch of these (including Ptolus), but I find it hard to believe that I'd feel any of them were superior to Eberron.
Weird statement. "I don't know what I'm talking about, but I trust in my uninformed opinion, anyway." Then again, that's probably human nature.

Nothing against Eberron, of course. Even though it's not my cup of tea, I concur that it has its moments.

DarkWhite

First Post
blargney the second said:
The problem isn't that there are people voting who aren't regulars. (Hi guys!) The problem is that the nature of the poll has been subverted from the original poster's intent. It's turned from a Single Best Product poll into a Which Setting Has The Most Rabid Fans poll. It's still interesting information, just not quite the same thing.
-blarg
As the guy who linked this poll to the Paizo messageboards, let me qualify by stating I have been a long-time member of ENWorld forums, and remember back when ENWorld started as the 3Ed Rumours website. I don't post here often, but I frequently lurk in forum topics that interest me.

Now to qualify my vote, for Pathfinder.

Yes, there are many good products in this list, Eberron is indeed one of them. But for my bang-for-buck, Pathfinder wins hands-down.

Even comparing Eberron not as a single book, but as a campaign setting, to Pathfinder, an Adventure Path, Eberron excels at creating an original game setting, but Pathfinder excels at creating original game adventures - adventures which translate to more game-time at my table!

To date, there has not been much by way of adventures released for Eberron, which is unfortunate, as it is a fascinating setting. On the other hand, Pathfinder contains almost entirely adventure, describing the campaign setting by adventuring through it, one encounter at a time. Pathfinder has made it easy for me as a GM to run a campaign, and I now have a regular group of enthusiastic players since no other time during the life of 3Ed. For that, I am deeply indebted to Paizo and their incredible Runelords!

Remove ads