The big announcement: 4dventure

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
If it isn't 4e they're announcing, then we'll know they've lost their minds. Including the number "4" so prominently in any announcement about D&D, given the furor over a rumored 4e, may just be someone trying to be cute, but it invites a ton of negative feedback. Y'know, all the wailing and gnashing of teeth from those who won't appreciate the joke. As opposed to all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that has already come from all the 4e rumors thus far.

HeinorNY

First Post
freyar said:
...though it could just have been a funny choice of name for the digital initiative.

If that happens to be the case I won't think it was a funny choice, I'll be pissed off!
With all those 4s floating around I really hope it's simply D&D 4E, not because I want it so bad, but I don't like to be fooled.

s.j. bagley

First Post
Abisashi said:
On a barely related note, in M:tG slang, DI means infinite (from Der Infinite*). This makes reading about the Digital Initiative very confusing for me, because the first translation my brain offers is the Magic one.

I now return you to your regul4rly scheduled thre4d.

*This is probably mispelled. I think it is German.
in german 'the infinite' would be das unendliche.

Friadoc

Explorer
EricNoah said:
That's such a big "if" I don't even want to think about it yet. Yikes. You know, on one hand it would be stupid for WotC to essentially encourage 3rd party publishing to stick with 3E by not allowing them to publish material for 4E, thus encouraging a split gaming community. On the other hand ... I can see a different type of licensing that is more restrictive appealing to WotC. I just can't call it either way...

It depends on who makes that call, really.

If the call is made by someone thinking of the community and the hobby, trying to balance it with business, then the next edition will be as OGL as the current edition.

But, if the call is made purely from a corporate stand point, with less thought to the hobby and community and focus more on market share and profit, then a whole lot less, if not the elimination of OGL.

Although I have to say that I'm biased, as any freelance with only d20/OGL credits to his name would be, but I think keeping the OGL/d20 is the best choice, since the community really supports it.

Any drastic or huge change to that would really send shockwaves down the line and, potentially, drive a lot of people to other venues, thusly hurting WotC more than helping it.

That said, companies with their own OGL only products, or own branded ones (i.e. Green Ronin's True20) are gonna be set for a potential boom.

Abisashi

First Post
s.j. bagley said:
in german 'the infinite' would be das unendliche.

An internet search suggests that Der Infinite is not actually German. I'm not sure where it came from originally. Regardless, it is still confusing to me :p

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm 80% certain that it'll be a 4e announcement (though not necessarily the dread "4e is here!" announcement that everybody seems to be projecting). There have been some HUGE-ISH flags to indicate that a new edition will be upon us for a while in terms of release schedule focus, license expirations without renewal, etc. And of course there were all of those "Absolutely not!" announcements. . . which, for those familiar with the run-up to new editions of other games and previous new editions of D&D, were HUGE-ISH flags in and of themselves ;)

Festivus

First Post
Remathilis said:
I think that would be safe to say, with the majority of d20 publishers using some "new" version of the SRD (published in book form, like under "d20 fantasy") while WotC (and perhaps a chosen few) would work under 4e's new mechanics/banner.

We shall see.

If they did, they would be wise to look at the past lesson with IBMs decision to go MCA (Microchannel) versus PCI for everyone else in the known universe.

Sorry, I am a geek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Channel_architecture

Remathilis

Legend
4dventure.com

Services from Network Solutions:
Certified Offer Service - Let us help you get this domain name!
Backorder - Try to get this name when it becomes available.
SSL Certificates - Get peace of mind with a secure certificate.

You have attempted to access the whois service for nameking.com > 20 times today from
205.178.188.17, try again tommorrow. If you require more requests please contact
info@nameking.com with your request.

The previous information has been obtained either directly from the registrant or a registrar of the domain name other than Network Solutions. Network Solutions, therefore, does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness.

Show underlying registry data for this record

Current Registrar: NAMEKING.COM, INC.
IP Address: 208.73.212.12 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-CALIFORNIA-LOS ANGELES
Record Type: Domain Name
Server Type: Apache
Lock Status: clientTransferProhibited
Web Site Status: Active
DMOZ no listings
Y! Directory: see listings
Secure: No
E-commerce: No
Traffic Ranking: Not available
Data as of: 14-Jun-2005

Remove ads