• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Blade of Phoee (Updated 12/08/08)

Funeris

First Post
Unfortunately, Orange Leaf never had the chance to interact with the PCs...just the NPC Spinum....sigh.

I thought he was a cool idea too...some oversized...half-human, half-troll druid. Just clicked in my mind.

And then I blowed him up real good. Its sad really.... :(

And you're welcome for the pimp...i just pimped it in the "What are you reading?" thread too....I'm nice like that :D

~Fune

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
Funeris said:
As a clue, she [this author] once won a Newbery Award and then also collected the Margaret A. Edwards Award, which honors lifetime contributions to books for young adults.

Anyone who recognizes the author wins not one or two cookies, but three.

~Fune

I am guessing here, but I have only found two authors that fit the clues: Madeleine L'Engle and Cynthia Voight. It might also be Ursula K. LeGuin, Nancy Garden, or Francesca Lia Block, but I think that it sounds most like Madeleine L'Engle's "Wrinkle in Time."

I hope that I can still get cookies if I'm right even though I guessed. :)

Funeris

First Post
Consider the cookies yours, Oaxacan Warrior. Madeleine L'Engle was the correct author. The book though was the fourth in her series about the Murray's (the first being A Wrinkle in Time) entitled A Swiftly Tilting Planet (I think...my mind is becoming addled...not enough sleep....).

All three of the cookies are yours!!!! Congrats. (and phwew...i was afraid no one would ever answer a trivia question :D )

~Fune

Funeris

First Post
So....i get to work today....and open Outlook....there's a message about possible junkmail and whether or not I'd like to read it. So I click sure and there is an email from Oaxacan Warrior with his address at the bottom. Heh, it made me smile. Already I feel today may be better than yesterday. So, I guess you'll be receiving a package soon, Oaxacan Warrior.

:D

~Fune

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
Funeris said:
So....i get to work today....and open Outlook....there's a message about possible junkmail and whether or not I'd like to read it. So I click sure and there is an email from Oaxacan Warrior with his address at the bottom. Heh, it made me smile. Already I feel today may be better than yesterday. So, I guess you'll be receiving a package soon, Oaxacan Warrior.

~Fune

I'm glad that I can bring you some small measure of joy in return for the great SH! :)

So I drop in quite early in the storyhour, take a small break and when I check in again, Funeris has set such a cracking pace with his updating that it takes me three days reading to catch up!!

Anyway ... Great stuff, Funeris. I really like the bleak world you've created and the tension between the races.

I'm enjoying the writing too. Don't know if all the PC's characters are really coming out yet, but that always takes time. And some the description and action writing has been really vivid ... keep up the good work! :)

If you don't mind one small criticism (meant entirely constructively), I think in some of the earlier posts you fell into the "exotic language" trap. By this I refer to a tendency among a number of writers on these boards (and even some published fantasy writers) to use unusual vocabulary, in an effort to spice up their writing ... but with the unfortunate consequence that they often use words incorrectly.

There's only one specific example of yours I recall, although I have a feeling there were a few others. In the description of Cassock and Aramil chasing the figure into the woods you refer to them trying to move silently and then describe them as "noisome". Alas "noisome" doesn't mean "noisy" but "foul smelling". Now maybe they were that too, but I didn't get the impression that that's what you were going for. ;)

Anyway, you seem to have avoided this trap more recently, so probably it's something I don't really need to be telling you at all. :heh:

Keep up the good work.

Funeris

First Post
LOL....didn't realize noisome meant foul smelling...and...I don't remember using that word, to be honest. Too much updating... :heh:

I will go back, find the word, figure out what I meant to write and change it (when I have a moment). Thanks for the criticism. I'll try not to use "exotic language"...I try to keep it simple. The only exoticness I hope to bring…is that inherent within the world….the naming conventions (which become important in our next session…hint hint to my players)…month names…days of the week…all the boring little details of reality that I slightly altered.

Thanks for your critique & praise. So….you’ll be back to check in, what sometime next week? I’ll make sure to try to have another bazillion updates for you to catch up on :cool:

~Fune

Hey Funeris, just dropping a note to let you know I'm still reading!

Now you're setting the update pace... (spider shakes fist)... kudos to great posts throughout. And hey, I thought they were noisome too. ;)

I'll write more when I'm back off of holiday.

Keep it up buddy.

Spider.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads