• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Bold Adventures of Poins--In the Woods!

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Devon

There will be time for grief later. Devon thinks to himself. Where are they Tristan? You keep watch over Nightshade while Graf and I look into this intrusion.

Rhialto

First Post
Argent Silvermage said:
There will be time for grief later. Devon thinks to himself. Where are they Tristan? You keep watch over Nightshade while Graf and I look into this intrusion.

"They are camping to the east. Their abuse of the land stinks with such rankness, you'll find it with no difficulty," says Tristan, taking a deep breath. He glances at Nightshade compassionately. He gestures at the Archdruids ravens, pecking at corn in the front yard. "I'll send a bird if his condition worsens."

Brain

First Post
Rhialto said:
HemaorThe two Mountain Goblins were clearly following the path their fellows had stamped and slashed out in the woods. Turning back to follow it, Hemaor is shocked when three little blades dart out of a nearby tree. While one goes wide, two more slash into him. (2 dmg) "I think you've gone far enough," comes a deep silky purr of a voice. As the Nibelung watches, a female Moutain Goblin clad in grey robes with a black hand embroidered on them leaps down from the trees. Three more blades lie ready in her hand. "My next round have poison on them. And I'll be aiming them at your wolf. So I think you'll want to do the sensible thing and surrender. But I am sentimental like that." It's as she smiles that Hemaor realizes that her eyelids have been elaborately painted purple.

Hemaor spits and moves forward to attack. "Ye think that threatening my wolf is going to get ye anything but a facefull of steel?"

ooc: move and both attack

Rhialto

First Post
Brain said:
Hemaor spits and moves forward to attack. "Ye think that threatening my wolf is going to get ye anything but a facefull of steel?"

ooc: move and both attack

As Hemaor moves forward, the Goblin reacts with lightning speed, throwing her blades at the wolf with deadly accuracy. A quick bit of skilled riding on Hemaor's part lets him dodge one of the blades, but the other two strike true. Hemaor feels his wolf buckle slightly, as his weight becomes a dangerous encumbrance for the creature. Hemaor swings at the Mountain Goblin who deftly sidesteps his attack (1), while the wolf manages a feeble bite (12), which she likewise dodges. "Mmmm...." she declares saucily. "I don't threaten, Hob--I act."

Rhialto

First Post
With vicious speed, the goblin adroitly smashes Hemaor in the side of the head, then follows it up with a kick to the stomach. The first punch leaves the Nibelung's senses reeling--the second knocks him out of the saddle, and sends him rolling to the ground. (14 pts subdual damage.) As Hemaor tries to stop the ringing in his ears, he hears the goblin say, as if from a distance, "I am paying for it in sheer delight, Hob. My favorite coin."

The wolf bites at her, but she dances out of the way (15). Then, with one kick to the head, she sends the weakened beast sprawling. (20 pts subdual damage)

As Hemaor lies weakly on the ground, she glances down at him haughtily. "You are fortunate, Hob. My master wants you and your beast alive, and he will get you alive. But remember, child of caves--Lady Icya Windfist could have had you dead this day, had she so desired it." She leans forward, then plants a kiss on the Nibelung's lips--followed by a quick blow to the throat. Hemaor's world goes black.

Sometime later, he thinks he hears some goblins talking among themselves...

"...here, just like he said they'd be..."

"...think his wind spirit got them, like he..."

"...kill them..."

"...orders are clear, Sneed. I don't care whose brother..."

"--eady now! And lift..."

He has a vague impression of being moved, but it is only...an impression.

Last edited:

Rhialto

First Post
Hemaor comes to in a sizable tent, tied to a large wooden post that appears to have been simply made by cutting down a large tree, then hacking off the upper section, with all those pesky branches. A rather thin, intellectual-looking Mountain Goblin is watching him, smiling. He is dressed very similarly to Icya, though he also seems to be wearing a chain shirt beneath his robes, as well as a pair of spiked gauntlets. Like her, his eyes are coated in heavy purple makeup. " 'The master of the beast, and the beast he has mastered'," he states in ringing, satisfied tones, in a manner that makes it sound like he's quoting something. He glances over to the side, where Hemaor realizes Lady Icya is lounging on a chair. "You've done well, Icya."

"Thank you, Lord Agrid," she answers, fluttering her eyelashes.

"Though I do wish you'd stand at attention when you're around me," he notes, quietly.

"I'm tired," she replies, with a sulky pout.

"Not one of your sisters is," notes Agrid sternly.

She smiles at him winningly. "That's because they do not labor under the heavy burden I do. You see, they are merely 'adequate', while I am 'fantastic'." She makes a sign of mock exasperation. "You see the problems this creates for me?"

Agrid chuckles. "You are a saucy minx," he notes fondly, "and I suspect you've been sent by Vathek either as a gift or a test." He spreads his hands. "Ahh, well. Who am I to question the will of the Gods?" He turns back to Hemaor. "Now, then, I see you're awake. Allow me to introduce myself--I am Lord Agrid Stargaze. I wish you to know, young Nibelung, that you are about to be granted the highest destiny, I can imagine--service to Vathek, the Iron Fist, whose Will is Law! I suspect that both you, your wolf, and that young man over there will resent this, but believe me--if it were my destiny to be in your place, I would leap under the knife." He chuckles fondly. Hemaor glancing to the side, is surprised to see a short, dark-haired young man tied up on another side of the post, his mouth in a gag.

Lord Agrid seems about to say more when another female Mountain Goblin walks into the tent. She is clad like they are, though seems slightly drabber. "Lord Agrid--the Blackbird clan--the ones you left at--the place. They are--unhappy about things. I believe they attacked Lord Renfaw, and now are in open revolt..."

Agrid clicks his tongue. "Well, Renfaw's made his usual mess of things, I see." He glances at Lady Icya. "Tell me, Icya--I am filled with--disgust and nausea by these--savages. They seem to me a shame to my species, and I must supress an urge to destroy the disgusting brutes. But now they spurn my authority, and I can't help but feel that I should give into my anger and slaughter the bastards, allowing them to taste the hell that we of the Purple Eye tribe can unleash. Do you think I am right to do this?"

"Absolutely," says Icya, standing to attention. "Flay their skin from their bones. Kill their women, and children! Leave none alive! That's the way to handle things."

Lord Agrid nods. "So I thought." He smiles. "Do you think my 'wind spirit' could accompany me?"

"I think she'll do so with pleasure," answers Icya with a smirk.

Agrid glances at the other female. "Lady Icya and myself will deal with this mutiny. As for you, Greffa, I'd like you to guard my prisoners."

Greffa bows. "It will be done, my lord."

Lord Agrid and Lady Icya leave the tent, both bearing cheerful little smiles...

Last edited:

Rhialto

First Post
Liev

Liev cursed his miserable, unjust luck. What had he done to deserve this? He'd just been making his living, the usual way, when, two nights ago, he'd heard what sounded like a troop of men marching through the woods. Suspecting merchants--or even cheap mercenaries--who'd gotten lost, he decided to try the 'burning bush' trick, which usually worked wonders. Well, it did work on most of the goblins who turned out to be the troop. Unfortunately Lord Agrid wasn't one of them, and he'd had those--women of his track Liev down and beat the snot out of him. Since then, he'd been kept at the Goblin's camp--in Agrid's tent, actually--where the Goblin had amused himself by chatting amiably with the young man into the small hours of the night, usually about all sorts of horrible things that Lieve mercifully couldn't quite remember the next day. Liev was quite worried when today, Icya--the craziest, nastiest of the women, of whom Lord Agrid seemed especially fond--came back with a report that resulted in a rather bruised Nibelung being dragged in and restrained a few hours later. He didn't know why, but it seemed to put Lord Agrid in a good mood--and Liev had already learned that things that put Lord Agrid in a good mood were generally things that put sane people in a bad mood...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads