• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

MarkB

Legend
I've been complaining about that ever since the prequels. This planet was supposed to be a backwater that no one has heard of or ever goes to, but apparently if you start to run out of fuel, it's the closest gas station.
If you're referring to Episode I, they chose Tatooine precisely because it was obscure and not part of the Republic - a good place to get lost in if you're on the run.

The thing with Tatooine is that you have to look at the franchise as a whole for why it features in so much. It is where Anakin was born and where his mother had relatives who could take in Luke and raise him in secret. And apparently these relatives were not known to Anakin/Vader, otherwise it would not have been safe to stash Luke there. And yes, he thought his kids died in childbirth, but still. Tatooine has been overused in non-essential stuff, but for the whole Anakin/Luke/Jabba/Boba Fett arc, it is needed.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It definitely makes sense for Boba Fett's story to be there - having to do with Jabba, who lived there.

But I still object to a lot of what was written for Episode 1. (I mean, I accept it, but I don't like it - it could have been so much better).

For example, in a galaxy-wide republic, there could have been millions of planets to go to when you're low on fuel. Then again, I object to Anakin being born there too. That was, IMO, a foolish and uninspired choice by Lukas. It certainly makes Obi-Wan taking Luke there to "hide" him make little sense. We can make excuses for it (Vader would never want to return to that crappy place, say) but it's a far cry from things that were implied in the original series (that it was so far out of the way that very few people would ever even think of it).

As far as it being a vibrant place with crime bosses and stuff, everywhere should be a vibrant place with cool stuff going on, no matter how unimportant and out-of-the-way it is.

Stalker0

Legend
For example, in a galaxy-wide republic, there could have been millions of planets to go to when you're low on fuel. Then again, I object to Anakin being born there too. That was, IMO, a foolish and uninspired choice by Lukas. It certainly makes Obi-Wan taking Luke there to "hide" him make little sense. We can make excuses for it (Vader would never want to return to that crappy place, say) but it's a far cry from things that were implied in the original series (that it was so far out of the way that very few people would ever even think of it).
I think there in lies the logic. Obi Wan knows Anakin, knows how much he hates Tatooine, and would never want to go there.

Meanwhile Vadar would think the same we are right now..... there are millions of planets out there, no way someone would have the ***** to hide something precious to me on my actual home planet.

Ergo the hide in plain sight trick does the job.

Stalker0

Legend
Letting someone take your helmets away for servicing seems excessively trusting. If they haven't had trackers and listening devices installed I'd be surprised.
I saw it as a power move.

Boba walks in like he owns the place (because....he does). He is completely comfortable, and freely offers his helmet, basically daring anyone to mess with it.

Its his way of saying "none of you are a threat to me".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think there in lies the logic. Obi Wan knows Anakin, knows how much he hates Tatooine, and would never want to go there.

Meanwhile Vadar would think the same we are right now..... there are millions of planets out there, no way someone would have the ***** to hide something precious to me on my actual home planet.

Ergo the hide in plain sight trick does the job.
I think that's a stretch. There was no logic to it. I reckon that when Lucas made Star Wars (IV), he did not plan that Anakin had grown up on Tatooine. Tatooine was envisaged as an out of the way world nobody had every heard of. Anakin's history came much, much later.

Stalker0

Legend
I think that's a stretch. There was no logic to it. I reckon that when Lucas made Star Wars (IV), he did not plan that Anakin had grown up on Tatooine. Tatooine was envisaged as an out of the way world nobody had every heard of. Anakin's history came much, much later.
Oh I completely agree, but in terms of "DM filling in the details to account for something they never anticipated at the beginning of the campaign", I don't think its that crazy. Its believable enough for me to wink at DM Lucas and go "sure sure George, that works"

Ryujin

Legend
It definitely makes sense for Boba Fett's story to be there - having to do with Jabba, who lived there.

But I still object to a lot of what was written for Episode 1. (I mean, I accept it, but I don't like it - it could have been so much better).

As far as it being a vibrant place with crime bosses and stuff, everywhere should be a vibrant place with cool stuff going on, no matter how unimportant and out-of-the-way it is.
With the emotional baggage that Tatooine had for Vader, it would likely be the last place he wanted to go.

And as far as crime bosses go in the Star Wars universe if it has life, it has crime. If it has crime, it has bosses.

Remove ads