• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The bring back Birthright thread!

Banshee16

First Post
Ampolitor said:
Ok who else loved this setting, I have all the books and I was waiting each month for a new won until it was given the Axe. This too me was the best setting ever, Its exactly what I liked with one exception, Yes the war cards were very stupid and it needed a better mass combat system. But the game world itself was great, evil human hunting elves, the gorgon and his army. There is a online project but the makers never did say why it was axed. I heard there was not enough sales, hmm everyone I know was a fanatic about the game world.
Several great settings were given the axe, Id just like to know is if there is anyone else who really enjoyed this setting?

I'd buy a Birthright 3E game in a second. It rocked, along with Planescape. Birthright was better (IMO) than either FR or GH as a quasi-medieval game in any case....the setting was awesome...very mystical, low magic in feel, even though it wasn't.

The 3E conversion from Birthright.net is actually pretty good. I've used it for one of the PCs in my Planescape 3E game.

Banshee

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Neo said:
not too keen on the bloodlines in UA myself but with some tweaking they'd work for sure. They'd need theme'ing for birthright use too.

Well, I really liked the bloodline rules in Unearthed Arcana (which is a different book from Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed, for those who might wonder). My first thought was "alright! A good chunk of the work has been done for a 3.5 Birthright revision." Yeah, theming it more for Cerilia would be essential, but not too difficult.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hmm, Birthright could easily be a fit for the D&D Miniatures line too. Birthright definitely had a wargaming feel to it. I'm thinking two main core rulebooks, a Birthright Campaign Setting hardcover and a Birthright Miniatures Rulebook hardcover. Plus, WotC could put out a group of Minitaures called Bloodlines.

The BRCS would be for the roleplayers and the BRMR would be for those with more of a taste for miniatures/wargaming. Plus, just imagine a Gorgon mini.

Sweet! :cool:

KF72

Kax Tuglebend

First Post
nononoNO we dont want a big shiny hardback do we precious, we wants a big shiny BOXED SET with beautiful bookletses and DM screen (the Birthright DM screen was BEAUTIFUL, really set the mood..)

i havent read UA yet.. but despite its non-tolkieneque setting, i can rarely read Monte Cooks Arcana Unearthed without thinking the Warmain really belongs in Birthright (for the unitiated its a fighter with d12 hd and minimum 16hp at first level, but less bonus feats, usually trained at prestigious military colleges)

Neo

Explorer
Kax Tuglebend said:
nononoNO we dont want a big shiny hardback do we precious, we wants a big shiny BOXED SET with beautiful bookletses and DM screen (the Birthright DM screen was BEAUTIFUL, really set the mood..)

Now Kax, what have we told you before... lay off the caffeine before posting :D :D

I tend to agree though miniatures game..nah thats a little too tabletoppy and not enough roleplay, not that I have anything against tabletop miniatures games (just the contrary)..but for birthright for me it should be fully angled towards story based play. The war cards weren't ideal but in a simplistic fashion they got the job done...

and besides the less money i'd have to spend on miniatures the more I'd have to spend on loveley birthright books and boxed sets :)

Last edited:

Raesene Andu

First Post
I already have all the Birthright books, but I'd buy a new professionally produced version if it was published. It's not going to happen though, not enough potential sales to make it worth while publishing. It was even discussed by the birthright.net development team, but WotC is very restrictive on any of their worlds/settings, and it wasn't worth pursuing for any of the d20 publishers we spoke too. I believe that at the time the main sticking point was that WotC would have got to publish the core rulebook of the setting and then the d20 publisher would have got to publish any additional material, adventuers, accessories, etc. Obviously for most settings it is only the setting itself that sells in high volume, and BR never had the sales to make it worthwhile pursuing by anyone we had discussions with. However, you can always download the free version of the BRCS from birthright.net, and one day (If we ever find the time to actually sit down and write something), you may even see an updated 3.5 version of the rules.

Birthright could work with minitures for wars, but I've always felt that the heart of BR is the setting itself, not the domain rules, although that does add another level to the game. I don't, however, think that the UA bloodline system would transfer too well though, as it is primarily level-based. One of the things I've always liked about BR and it's bloodline system is that a relavitly low-level character (for example, Rogh Aglondier, a 3rd level wizard) can be as good a ruler as a high-level character simply because of the strength of his bloodline. Using the UA system for BR would take this away and again focus the game only on a person's level...

As much as I like BR, it is not, however, a system that transfers well to other world. It can work, but it is tied very much into the Bloodline rules. The BRCS (birthright.net's 3rd edition conversion) does more away from this somewhat. But in the end, if you have BR, why do you need other campaign settings??

By the way I'm currently running two Birthright games, one a campaign where my players are working together to forge a new kingdom, with one PC as regent, and the others and his lieutenants and allies. The other game is a adventure-based pbem that I've just started up that will be set in Aduria, the original home of Cerilia's human races.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads