• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The bring back Birthright thread!

ecliptic

First Post
Raesene Andu is a good example why the birthright.net conversion sucks major arse. They are so stuck with how the old way is done they can't imagine doing anything new with it.

There is NO way to balance bloodlines other than make it one way or another level based.

Raesene Andu

First Post
ecliptic said:
Raesene Andu is a good example why the birthright.net conversion sucks major arse. They are so stuck with how the old way is done they can't imagine doing anything new with it.

You must not be keeping up with the latest ideas on birthright.net as the latest version of the bloodline rules uses a scion class to balance bloodlines (although actual abilities are not set to a person level, but rather to their bloodline strength as it has always been).

And on a personal note, pull your head in mate. Everyone who worked on the BRCS gave up their time to produce it for no more reward than their desire to see the Birthright setting continue. It took more than a year to write and complile and has been, on the whole, well received by the BR community. Is you wish to criticise our work, then at least try and keep it constructive and offer suggestions.

There is NO way to balance bloodlines other than make it one way or another level based.

Actually there is another very easy way, admittedly not one that is widely used in today's D&D where the rule's lawyer is king. You simply balance the bloodline by making the blooded scions the object of attention of bloodhunters, awnsheghlien, etc. The higher the bloodline, the more attention. It's hard to run a kingdom when every would-be Gorgon keep's knocking at your door looking to challenge you to a duel and claim your bloodline.

ecliptic

First Post
You must not be keeping up with the latest ideas on birthright.net as the latest version of the bloodline rules uses a scion class to balance bloodlines (although actual abilities are not set to a person level, but rather to their bloodline strength as it has always been).

Then it is still unbalanced. You can have level 1 character running around with a really powerful bloodline and no mechanical aspects to balance it. You will have people go "okay I want a bloodline!" blah minor bloodline, I'll continue
with my fighter class. Theres no reason for them to level up in the class when the person who luckily got the major bloodline would be much more powerful at 20th than someone in the same class with a minor bloodline.

And on a personal note, pull your head in mate. Everyone who worked on the BRCS gave up their time to produce it for no more reward than their desire to see the Birthright setting continue. It took more than a year to write and complile and has been, on the whole, well received by the BR community. Is you wish to criticise our work, then at least try and keep it constructive and offer suggestions.

They gave up their time? Cry me a river. I have seen the little fiasco over there. It was nothing but argueing. You had one side who wants to actually update the rules and balance them. Another side who wanted to keep it how it was. Now I see who probably actually won. Doesn't suprise me. You guys have been running out the people that want balance and change over the course of many months.

Actually there is another very easy way, admittedly not one that is widely used in today's D&D where the rule's lawyer is king. You simply balance the bloodline by making the blooded scions the object of attention of bloodhunters, awnsheghlien, etc. The higher the bloodline, the more attention. It's hard to run a kingdom when every would-be Gorgon keep's knocking at your door looking to challenge you to a duel and claim your bloodline.

Rule 1 to balancing anything is never use a roleplaying aspect to balance a mechanic aspect.

Last edited:

Neo

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
How much are you willing to pay for a boxed set? $45 US?

I don't know about everywhere else in the world but we pay about that much, sometimes a bit more for most hardback releases over here.. so for a boxed set I'd say probably $45-55 depending on what the boxed set was for and about.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
ecliptic said:
Raesene Andu is a good example why the birthright.net conversion sucks major arse.

Ecliptic, please go review the Rules posted in an announcement at the top of this forum. Personal attacks are not permitted here. We'd like you to throttle your vitriol down a few notches; having a strong opinion doesn't mean that you get to run roughshod over everyone else, and it doesn't mean that you can be rude.

Thank you. Moderator emails are listed in the Meta forum; if this is somehow going to be a problem, feel free to contact me.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Neo said:
I don't know about everywhere else in the world but we pay about that much, sometimes a bit more for most hardback releases over here..
In the UK? Isn't the exchange $1.50 to £1? Or am I forgetting the import tariff/tax?

Neo said:
so for a boxed set I'd say probably $45-55 depending on what the boxed set was for and about.
Well, the thread is self-explanatory. Would you buy a $45 (US) Birthright boxed set (requires D&D Player's Handbook 3.5e)?

Neo

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
In the UK? Isn't the exchange $1.50 to £1? Or am I forgetting the import tariff/tax?

Yup the UK, Its nearer to $2 to £1 these days, hence I tend to do a lot of shopping online via the U.S these days :)

and in answer to your second question, yes I would were one ever to be released. Birthright was one of my favourite settings.

Last edited:

Blastin

First Post
I LOVE Birthright. I ran a nearly 2 year long (real time) campaign in it set in the giantdowns, and another year long campaign in Meadore. No setting I have ever seen was as well put together thematically as Birthright (although Eberron is close).
I loved the domain rules, both my campaigns worked up to using them. I started all the players out as adventurers like any other setting, and as the game progressed it just naturally progressed into the characters becomming the rulers/leaders. There were alot of things that needed tweeked in the domain rules, but overall they were a blast.
I would be another to jump on the bandwagon if someone were to pick this up.
And as to Raesene Andu and the rest of the folks over at Birthright.com: you all did a damn good job. There are many little things that I disagree with, but overall I think it is a great effort. If it ever gets up to the 3.5 version ( or even finishes with the 3.0 rules) I'll give it a shot.
Blastin

shadow

First Post
I really liked Birthright. I never cared to much for all the political intrigue, but it was a great setting. It was Euro-fantasy, but done different. Halflings were connected to the plane of shadow (very fey like), not cute hobbits. Elves were xenophobic and strongly anti-human. Magic was rare; wizards weren't a dime a dozen. Monsters were epic and legendary. And above all the world was internally consistant and believable.

Brain

First Post
I don't see the big balance problem with Birthright. If you don't like random bloodline strengths, just change it for your campaign so that each character starts with the same bloodline strength, and nix any specific powers that you find too powerful.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads