• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Cage! (Advertisement and Sign-up Thread)

• Thread starter Tharivious_Meliamne
  • Start date
T

Tharivious_Meliamne

"Attention, attention. The Meeting Place and Reynard Reynolds, owner of Caged Concrete Entertainment, proudly bring to you, the audience and potential participants, the one, the only, steel cage championship. Come one, come all and join in the excitement. Men, women, young and old, all able-bodied citizens are invited to sign up to test their mettle against one another. For a mere $50 sign up fee, you could win $500 and the glory and honor that comes along with being crowned a Caged Concrete special event champion!"

The commercial with the tall, well dressed man standing in front of the backdrop of a solid steel cage with chain-link fence walls then shifts away, showing the address of the location for The Meeting Place, and a 1-800 number for would-be entries. Energetic music plays in the background before the commercial goes back to Mr. Reynolds.

"Are you up to the challenge?"

And then the screen goes blank, proceeding to the next advertisement.

* * * * * * * * * * * *​

WizO Pounamu said:
Cage Tournament 10pm - 12am pst, Saturday March 26, 2005
To be held in the side alleyway (Limbo). 3 brackets: Mens, Womens and mixed. $500 cash to the bracket champion. Participants will be required to sign a legal waiver before stepping into the cage.

Events may end later than advertised.

All prizes are in character only. :p

* * * * * * * * * * * *​
OOC Information:

No Holds Barred Gladiatorial Combat
The Cage stands twelve feet of chain-link fencing braced by steel tubing. The floor is covered in an unforgiving solid rubber mat. Twenty by twenty feet on either side, the enclosure is roofed in with yet more chain-link. A single door is on the outward wall, closed with a piece of chain and a padlock.
A first-aid staff is stationed nearby, and two stretchers are positioned close as well. Steel railings have been set up to keep a single, stretcher-width pathway open from the cage area to the street beyond.

Rules of the Cage
- Weapons are forbidden, only the body or the cage may be used to strike an opponent.
- All strikes are legal and valid.
- Cage may be used as a weapon by throwing opponent into it. (For this reason, this sort of fight tends to be quite bloody.)
- Cage may be used for leverage in combat, or climbed for aerial tactics (drop-kicks, flying elbows, etc...)
- Tap-Out: One opponent slaps the floor repeatedly as a declaration of submission, often due to application of a submission manuever (choke-hold, twisting of a joint, etc...). Merely stating that one gives up will not suffice, the floor must be tapped in the appropriate manner.
- Referee may stop the fight as if a tap-out had occured should a competitor appear injured enough that he would be risking his life or health to continue on with the fight.
- Referee may pause the fight if a knock-out has occured to verify the condition, or if there is a concern of excessive blood-loss (adjudicated on a case-by-case basis, generally if the competitor appears to be getting dizzy or the player is continuously drawing attention to the blood-loss.).
- Failing to obey the instructions of the referee in terms of stopping a match will result in disqualification and/or charges with the local law enforcement agencies for aggravated assault and breach of contract.

- Fighters will undergo their bout for 10-15 minutes, at which time the Referee will roll 1d100, messaging the result to himself, the two combatants, and the attending WizO.
  • Numbers 01-50: Fighter in first bracket position will be the winner.
  • Numbers 51-100: Fighter in second bracket position will be the winner.
The fight result will then be played out by the two combatants within two actions. The winner moves on to the next round.

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

Please post here with your character names, genders, and which bracket they will be entered in.

If you do not wish to publicize your future screen names, send me a PM with the above information, and I will edit them in, leaving your anonymity intact.

Male vs. Male Entries:
  • Ivan Romanov
  • Sven Wilder
  • Ziander Phalanx
  • Lawler
  • Warlord
  • Ku
  • Patricks
  • Blue Shepherd
Female vs. Female Entries:
  • Seloy Bronson
  • Monique
  • Talon Hazelton
Mixed Gender Entries:
  • Seloy Bronson
  • Ivan Romanov
  • Ziander Phalanx
  • Lawler
  • Warlord
  • Ku
  • Patricks
  • Talon Hazelton
  • Blayde

I

Ivan_Romanov

Re: The Cage .

I would be interested in stepping into the cage with anyone . Consider myself in . Place me under male vs male , as well as the mixed gender competition.

From ,
Big Ivan Romanov .

S

Seloy Bronson

((Just an odd thought. Because I noticed that this one doesn't have it . . . But most cage matchs have an escape stipulation. This one doesn't, something to do withe the whole freeform thing?))

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

Seloy Bronson said:
((Just an odd thought. Because I noticed that this one doesn't have it . . . But most cage matchs have an escape stipulation. This one doesn't, something to do withe the whole freeform thing?))
That was left out due to this not being pro-wrestling. That's generally the province of pro-wrestling cage matches where the entire fight is choreographed ahead of time.

Beyond that, as time progresses entertainment combat has tended to get more and more violent, so it's a logical extension that this sort of thing would be fought until decisive victory is acheived.

S

Seloy Bronson

Tharivious_Meliamne said:
That was left out due to this not being pro-wrestling. That's generally the province of pro-wrestling cage matches where the entire fight is choreographed ahead of time.

Beyond that, as time progresses entertainment combat has tended to get more and more violent, so it's a logical extension that this sort of thing would be fought until decisive victory is acheived.

'Cept that that fact is not even close to true. There are cage matchs in which there is no stipulation for escape with-in pro-wrestling.

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

Seloy Bronson said:
'Cept that that fact is not even close to true. There are cage matchs in which there is no stipulation for escape with-in pro-wrestling.
Which has what to do with this? I'm aware of such matches, but that's irrelevant to what I said. I did not say that all pro-wrestling cage fights have the escape clause, I said that generally cage fights with escape clauses take place in pro-wrestling. Regardless, I stated the logic behind leaving the clause out, and I stand by it.

If the concern over adding the escape clause that you seem to be pushing for is over the power-level of characters causing would-be unrealistic results due to the 1d100 rolls, such as a low level, average person off the street knocking out - or forcing a submission from - an experienced fighter, then there's a simple explanation:

These are normal humans (and possibly, a few aliens or mutants of a similar power-scale :p), in a generally non-magical setting, where characters so powerful as to be invincible could not realistically or logically attain said amount of power. Nobody is perfect, and even experienced, highly trained combat experts can have bad luck and get knocked out by someone who landed a sucker-punch. Catering the tournament to a few who wish to play unrealistically powerful characters and don't want their egos damaged by having to accept a loss is a bad idea, in my opinion, and this should be a fair set-up for all involved, and hopefully one realistic enough to make sense within normal parameters.

Edit: This is the thread for the sign-up, not to debate adding features, so there's no point in dragging it out further and muddying up the purpose of this thread. There was plenty of time to bring this matter up while the event was being put together before this thread was even started. If anyone feels the need to discuss it further, by all means start another thread and I will be happy to do so - but leave this one for its original purpose, if you don't mind.

Remove ads