• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Caller and the Mapper

Pickles JG

First Post
We have a damage dice allocater as players track the damage each beasty has suffered also tea maker. T These are player jobs - as are Mapper & Caller not PC ones :lol:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Beer fetcher.
Thread necro for two reasons. One, beer fetcher is a great idea, even if it's better suited to someone who isn't actually playing. Or someone who's falling behind for metagame reasons...or their character is temporarily dead (mostly dead?)...

Two, I found a fourth player job that I really like. There's caller (leader), mapper, treasurer, and CHRONICLER. Did you remember to buy more arrows in town? Ask the chronicler. What was the helpful gnome's name again? Ask the chronicler. What was the name of the village we're supposed to visit? Ask the chronicler.

With each of those jobs taken, the GM can focus on making the game great.

Ranes

Adventurer
Chronicler is as good a reason as any for a thread necro (especially as it necros a thread I hadn't seen first time round). I've had such a player in one of my games. The player volunteered himself for the role; it was not one anybody had suggested. And he was really good at it, too.

Beer bearer is another role players in my games have often volunteered for. It's a role any thirsty DM should appreciate.

Over the last ten years, I've run a few games with up to twelve people attending (in addition to me as DM). On those very busy occasions, I have asked for players to nominate a caller and I've found it's the only way I can manage the demands of such numbers.

As for quartermaster, I think that's not a bad idea either. Anyone who joins my game knows that I don't hand-wave ammunition and encumbrance. Certainly, up to the mid-levels of play, I regard players' attention to such logistical issues as part of the challenge they face, although I wouldn't expect a quartermaster to have to track every arrows or sling bullet. That's an individual player's responsibility.

I think the use of floor tiles and battle mats has gone a long way to diminishing the role of the mapper though. And having players make their own maps as best they can from the DM's description is something I do miss. I enjoyed that aspect of the game, even as a cartographically challenged player.

Perhaps, when our battle maps become so sophisticated that they update themselves (and always keep the minis in the centre of the map), they'll be clever enough not to auto-reveal previously explored territory, as the party attempts to retrace its steps. And once again, PCs will turn left when they should turn right.

Celebrim

Legend
The caller becomes necessary for table management once you have 10 or more players at the table. Otherwise it is bedlam with everyone trying to talk over one another and expecting propositions to be resolved immediately. They are much less necessary when you have just 4 players at a table (default for the modern era), as it becomes an easier task to manage the party as individuals. Also, they may be less necessary with experienced players that have expectations about how to play.

Mappers and party treasurers on the other hand are pretty much essential for players, because otherwise you run into the problem of people taking treasure and not recording it on their character sheet. Also, you get lost.

Official clue recorders and note takers are also really useful party positions. Otherwise, in games that feature complex plotting, players often forget what they have learned and fail to draw deductions.

On the rare occasion I get to sit on the other side of the DM's screen, I always take the mapper role; I love trying to figure out a dungeon by carefully putting it on paper, and comparing them to what the DM had drawn once the game ends. I also love drawing maps in general, so it's a win-win for me.

I'm currently playing as a Dwarf Diviner in D&D 5e, so I'm on mapping duty. Whenever I make a mistake, I get to blame it on the excess of lead in the surroundings affecting my divination skills.

VikingLegion

Explorer
The groups I've DMd for have always had a chronicler as well - we called him the journal keeper. He basically had a day planner dedicated for the campaign, and took notes on what was accomplished each day in short form:

fought 6 brigands on the road
arrived in town of "x"
talked to local priest about removing Bob's curse
heard rumors of a gorgon marauding the local farmsteads

This role was of crucial importance several times during a campaign when the players seemed to be a bit stuck. Our group only met once or twice a month, so small details were easy to misplace. The journal keeper would peruse his notes during downtime and was able to connect the dots on many important plot pieces. Lastly, I didn't award xp after every session, but rather when the players "finished" a chapter or major portion of adventure. At that point the journal keeper would go back and tick off all defeated enemies and I would award the xp value for them, sometimes tacking on bonus story xp if they accomplished major goals. These little 10 minute segments every 3 or 4 sessions served as a fun recap to the party to relive the last couple months of gametime.

I sometimes use a caller (whoever is sitting next to me at the table gets the job) to wrangle player actions while I jot down notes or find some information from a previous session. This allows me to keep the game moving while I handle administrative tasks that the players probably don't care about.

Iosue

Legend
Since there's been some renewed interest in the thread, I thought I'd comb through the old books can find what they say about the caller and mapper.

Dungeons & Dragons Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable with Paper and Pencil and Miniature Figures, by Gygax & Arneson
Surprisingly, I can't find any explanation of the caller or mapper in OD&D. The first mention of mapping is in Vol. III The Underworld and Wilderness Adventures, in the movement rules, where it notes that no mapping is allowed during flight/pursuit situations. Explication of the Caller comes in the example of play, which is presented as a dialogue between the Referee and the Caller. From the example of play the Caller seems very much like a leader, since there's no indication that he's consulting with the other players -- he simply tells the Referee what the party is doing. The section on Wilderness rules is the first to describe some kind of mapping operation: it says the players should have a blank sheet of hex paper to note how the Referee is describing the surrounding terrain.

[sblock=Dungeons & Dragons Rules for Fantastic Medieval Role Playing Adventure Game Campaigns, by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, edited by Eric Holmes]
"One player should map the dungeon from the Dungeon Master's descriptions as the game progresses. This is easiest done if he uses a piece of graph paper marked North, East, South, West with the entrance to the dungeon level drawn in near the center. One of the players should keep a "Chronicle" of the monsters killed, treasure obtained, etc. Another should act as "caller" and announce to the Dungeon Master what action the group is taking. Both mapper and caller must be in the front rank of the party. If the adventurers have a leader, the caller would logically be that player."[/sblock]
Holmes clearly describes the two roles, and suggests that the Caller can be a party leader. Interestingly, he also describes the Chronicler! We also see that interesting mix of player and character in early D&D. The Caller and Mapper are obviously metagame roles taken by the players, but Holmes says the characters should be in the front rank.

[sblock=Dungeon Module B1: In Search of the Unknown, by Mike Carr]
"One player in the group should be designated as the leader, or "caller" for the party, while another one or two players can be selected as mappers (at least one is a must!). Although individual players have the right to decide their own actions and relay them to the Dungeon Master as play progresses, the caller will be the one who gives the DM the details on the group's course of action as they move around and explore (such instructions as "We'll move slowly down this corridor to the east..." or "We'll break down this door while so-and-so covers our rear..." are typical directions given by a caller to the DM). In the course of the adventure, the caller will naturally discuss the options available to the party with the rest of the adventurers, but it is this person who the DM relies upon for the official instructions (although individual players can still pursue alternate courses of action at appropriate times, if they insist, by telling the Dungeon Master). Once a caller (or any player) speaks and indicates an action is being taken, it is begun—even if the player quickly changes his or her mind (especially if the player realizes he or she has made a mistake or error in judgment). Use your discretion in such cases.

"The player or players mapping the explored area should use graph paper. Orient them according to the same directions on the referee's map (with the top being north in almost all cases). After that, allow them to draw their maps from your descriptions as they wish—but make certain that your verbal descriptions of the areas they explore are accurate (although you can say such things as "approximately sixty feet," especially in large or open areas or places where there are irregular rock surfaces). Above all, avoid the considerable temptation to correct their maps once they have drawn them. It will not be uncommon for players to show you their map (especially if they're confused) and ask you, "Is this right?" In most such instances, you should avoid correcting any mistakes there, unless it would be obvious through the eyes of the adventuring characters. Encourage good mapping skills and an attention to detail rather than falling into the rut of continual player map questions."[/sblock]
Once again, Mike Carr clearly describes how to play the game. We see here that the Caller doesn't make unilateral decisions, but simply relays what the group decides, as well as their roll as a human "commit button". He also gives a clear explanation of mapping, and notes that while the DM should avoid correcting their mistakes, he should do so if it's something that would be obvious to the characters.

[sblock=Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Special Reference Work: Players Handbook, by Gary Gygax]
"OBEDIENCE

"This aspect of play has three facets. The leader and caller of a party might order one course of action while various players state that their characters do otherwise. Your DM will treat such situations as confused and muddled, being certain to penalize the group accordingly.

"MAPPING

"One player must keep a map of the expedition's trek, and if two players make maps the chances for the success of the expedition improve. Graph paper with 5 or 6 lines to the inch is suggested for underground map making. A sheet of small size hex grid is usual for outdoors maps. Both sorts of paper should always be on hand. Never become concerned if your map is not exact, if it is off 10' here or 20' there. As long as it gives your party an idea as to where they are and how to get back, it is serving its purpose. Always make notes on the map to show danger -- traps, tricks, monsters.

"ORGANIZATION

"Organize your party by showing which characters are where. Show marching order for a 10' passage, a 20' passage, door openings, etc. Always prepare for rear actions as well as frontal combats. Assign one individual as leader. This character will "call", i.e. tell the referee where the party will go and what they will do. Miniature figures are of great aid here. The DM will usually require a marching order to be drawn on a piece of paper if figures are not at hand."
[/sblock]
Advice here is rather sparse, and at first glance, at odds with Mike Carr's description and what Gygax himself would write in B2, with the Caller being the Leader (in fact, generally called "the leader" instead of "caller" throughout the PHB and DMG), and seemingly able to order the other players around. However the description of play in the DMG shows the Leader acting much more as Mike Carr describes above, so I think the way to interpret the "Obedience" section up there is a suggestion to be well-ordered, and not argue over actions.

The DMG example of play may be the best example of what the caller does, because it also includes contributions from the other players, explaining how their characters do their actions and otherwise interacting with the DM. There are a few references to mapping in the DMG, but little practical description or advice.

[sblock=Dungeon Module B2: The Keep on the Borderlands, by Gary Gygax]
"One player in the group should be selected as leader and ‘caller’ for the party; another one or two should take care of necessary mapping. INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS MAY DECIDE ON THEIR ACTIONS, but it is the ‘caller’ who gives the DM the details on the party’s course of action (such as “We’ll head down the eastern corridor.“). The caller should discuss the party’s actions with the players, and inform the DM of the decisions of the group. When a player speaks and indicates that an action is being taken, it has begun - even if the player changes his mind. Use your discretion in these cases, and remember that the DM has the final say in all matters.

"The players should use graph paper to map the areas being explored. Have them indicate which direction is north, and use compass directions to describe details and direction of travel (“We’ll go west and turn north at the next intersection”). Use the same method to describe areas to them (“You see a corridor which goes about 30’ south and then turns west”). Be sure to keep your descriptions accurate, though you may say such things as ‘about forty feet’, especially in open areas or when describing irregular surfaces. Players will often show you their map and ask “Is this right?” Do not correct their mistakes unless the error would be obvious in the eyes of the adventurers, and remember that, in most cases, maps do not have to be exact. Encourage good mapping skills and an attention to detail, and avoid falling into a rut of continually answering map questions."[/sblock]
Gary's advice in B2 is clearer and more practical than in AD&D, mostly because it's essentially a paraphase of Carr's advice.

[sblock=Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Adventure Game, by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, edited by Tom Moldvay]
"Part 1: INTRODUCTION, Definition of Standard D&D® Terms
"At the start of the game, the players enter the dungeon and the DM describes what the characters can see. One player should draw a map from the DM's descriptions; that player is called the mapper. As the player characters move further into the dungeon, more and more of the dungeon is mapped. Eventually, the DM's map and the player's map will look more or less alike.

"To avoid confusion, the players should select one player to speak for the entire group or party. That player is named the caller. When unusual situations occur, each player may want to say what his or her character is doing. The caller should make sure that he or she is accurately representing all the player characters' wishes. The caller is a mediator between the players and the DM, and should not judge what the player characters should do.

"Part 4: THE ADVENTURE, Organizing a Party
"THE CALLER: One player should be chosen to tell the DM about the plans and actions of the party. This player is the caller. The players may tell the DM what their characters are doing, but the game runs more smoothly when the caller relays the information. The caller should be sure to check with each member of the party before announcing any actions (such as "We'll turn right" or "The thief will check for traps"). The caller is usually a character with a high Charisma score, and should be near the front of the party, where the character would be able to see what the DM describes.

"MAPPING: One player should draw a map of the dungeon as it is explored. This player is called the mapper. Normal movement includes the time spent exploring, measuring, and mapping the dungeon. Maps are drawn to help players visualize the area their characters are exploring and to provide a record of sections of the dungeon they have already explored. A good mapper should listen closely to the DM in order to draw a good representation of the dungeon. It is most important to record proper directions, shape, and approximate size, rather than spending a lot of time determining exact measurements and filling in minute details. It is also a good idea to make brief notes about where traps, monsters, and unusual features are encountered."[/sblock]
Since I started with Moldvay Basic and B2, these two pretty much formed my conception of the Caller and Mapper. In Moldvay we again see the conflation of the metagame player role with the in-game character role.

[sblock=Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Role Playing Game Players Manual, by Gary Gygax & Dave Arneson, edited by Frank Mentzer]
"Solo Adventure: Mapping
"This time, you will make a map of the dungeon so you don’t get lost. Maps also help in remembering where the worst monsters were - like the ghouls - so you can avoid them until you feel ready for them.

"You will draw your map on a piece of graph paper. Each line one square long will equal 10 feet in the dungeon. Copy each map carefully. Draw an arrow pointing to the top of the paper and label it “North”, then draw a line across the arrow and label “East, South, and West.” This will help you remember the directions.

"As you draw your maps be sure to write notes on it to help you remind you where things are.

"If you don’t make a map as you go, you will probably get confused.

"Playing in a group: How to Prepare
"Mapper and Caller

"Although each person will be playing the role of a character, the players should also handle the jobs of “Mapping” and “Calling.” Any of the players can be the “Mapper” or “Caller,” whatever their characters may be.

"The mapper is the player who draws a map of the dungeon as it’s explored. One or more of the characters should be making maps, but one of the players must make the actual game map. The map should be kept out on the table for all to see and refer to. Pencil should always be used in making the map, in case of errors and tricky passages.

"Mapping is an important part of imagining where your characters are. Sooner or later, all players should learn to make maps. If you play often, take turns at mapping; it is an important and useful skill to learn.

"The caller is a player who announces to the Dungeon Master what the group of characters (the Party) is doing. The Caller must check with every player to find out what all the characters are doing, and then tell the DM (quickly and accurately) what they plan to do. The Caller does not tell the others what to do; the Caller merely reports what is going on.

"The Caller’s first job is to find out the “party order” - the way the characters are lined up or grouped during normal travel. The Caller should also report the movements of the group, such as “We’ll go northeast through the woods,” or “We’ll turn right at the next corridor.” Battles are always more complicated, and the DM should then take the time to check with each player, instead of handling it all through the Caller.

"You may have games without Callers, if the Dungeon Master is willing to ask each player what each character is doing, and make notes to remember the actions. But it’s usually easier and more organized if one player acts as Caller.

"Dungeon Masters Rulebook
"Mapping
"Mapping a dungeon is one of the biggest problems for beginning players. You can make it easier by following some simple guidelines:

"1. Describe areas clearly and accurately. If you make a mistake, tell the players right away, and make necessary corrections.
"2. Use the same terms in descriptions, and try to describe room details (size of the room, exits, creatures, other contents) in the same order each time. If the players become familiar with certain often-used terms, they can map more easily. Some common terms for corridors are:
"Side passage (or Sideroad): A corridor branches off to one side, but the main corridor continues.
Four-way Intersection: Corridors branch off to both sides of the main corridor.
T-Intersection: The main corridor ends at an intersection where corridors continue left and right.
"3. Set a standard description at the start of the adventure for corridors, rooms, walls, and other typical features. "For example, if you start by saying “A standard corridor is 10’ wide and 10’ high,” you can simply say “standard corridor” instead of describing it each time. Standard walls might be “made of stone blocks, each 2‘ long and 1’ tall, mortared on all sides,” and no further wall description is needed unless it differs from the Standard.
"4. When you design your own dungeons, use straight corridors and square rooms at first. You may try other shapes and twisty corridors when you and the players are more experienced - but even then, it will still slow down the game."[/sblock]

Mentzer, my other fundamental influence also explains thing pretty clearly. We seem to lose the conflation of player and character here, though.

[sblock=Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeoneer's Survival Guide]
"SPEEDING PLAY
"The idea of the caller-the character who declares the actions of the whole group-has been dropped from many role-playing games. Often, when characters are first learning to play, no single character is quite ready to be an effective caller. Other beginning players may feel that the caller prevents them from getting the full gaming experience.

"If your group does not employ a caller, and players experience frustration at the rate of play, perhaps the idea should be reexamined. Experienced players have a much easier time delegating the tasks of caller to one member of the party while maintaining the involvement of all the characters. The caller can serve a vital function in keeping the party moving and avoiding those lulls where no one wishes to make a decision. This method works best when the task of caller rotates through the group, changing every game session.

'MAPPING TECHNIQUES
"The most common style of mapping for characters exploring an underground setting is the detailed graphing of each 10-foot block of corridor explored or room entered. This style, while usually providing a reasonable copy of the map the DM is using, has several weaknesses.

"For one thing, this type of map requires a great deal of time -- both game and real time -- to make. Player characters must carefully pace out dimensions, and the mapper must take the time and effort to record them accurately on the graph paper. A party otherwise able to travel in complete darkness must maintain a light source for their mapper, making it much easier for the denizens of the dungeon to spot them.

"Another problem with this type of map is that players tend to agonize over minor errors. If a room overlaps into an area where the map shows a corridor runs, the players worry about teleport traps and other reality shifts, when the most likely explanation is that the map is off by 10 or 20 feet.

"Of course, such maps are valuable if careful attention to detail and dimensions are necessary for some reason. In most cases, however, the main purpose of the map is to show the characters the way out of the dungeon after the adventure, so such an elaborate illustration is clearly overkill.

"If players are not especially concerned with the exact dimensions of an area they are exploring, a line-drawing map can work very well. In this case, the mapper simply draws a line to indicate the path of a corridor or tunnel through which the party is moving. Doors are indicated with the standard symbol, and crossing corridors or branching tunnels can be displayed with additional lines. The exact distance moved becomes a matter of educated guesswork.

"Such a map serves admirably to show the characters the path when they wish to retrace their steps and leave the dungeon. It also effectively displays the areas that have been explored, as opposed to those that have not. Intersections and doors can be easily spotted. Best of all, the map can be drawn without slowing the party down. Although a light source is still required, the light can be shone temporarily while the mapper quickly sketches in the last 100 feet of corridor, and then extinguished while the party advances.

"A line drawing map provides insufficient information if the party is traveling through an extremely complicated or confusing area such as a maze or a convoluted network of caverns. Other than these cases, however, players may find the line-drawing map to be every bit as effective -- and a lot more convenient -- than the typical graph paper masterpiece that most exploration missions generate."[/sblock]
I think we can see the Caller and Mapper on the way out here in this late 1st Ed. book. No Caller is considered the default, but rather suggested if there are pacing issues. Mapping is seen as essentially as an unrewarding, perfunctory task. In the Wilderness Survival Guide, hex mapping is given no mention at all.

Still, I have to say I was a little shocked to look through my 2nd Ed. books and found that Calling and Mapping weren't mentioned. At all. I'd thought there was some small mention in passing as in "an option you might consider". But nope. Gone. Given this and the relatively brief mention in 1st Ed. (and disinterest in the DSG), I've kinda come to the conclusion that the Caller and Mapper are very much a D&D thing (as opposed to an AD&D thing).

Last edited:

Ranes

Adventurer
Great post, thank you. It got me thinking, so I looked up the 3.5 DMG. Sure enough it mentions a player taking mapping duty but not in the form of a suggestion that it may be a good idea. It simply assumes a player might be doing so. Here's what it says:

"When one of the players is drawing a map as the characters explore a new place, give her a break. Describe the layout of the place in as much detail as she wants, including dimensions of rooms. For clarity, you might draw out the shape and size of a room on a grid in front of you. Be willing to repeat a description if needed. Describe anything the characters should be able to see (considering illumi- nation and their own vision capabilities) or reasonably estimate (such as the distance to the far wall of a cavern).

"Of course, when the PCs are lost in a dungeon or walking through fog, the whole point of the situation is that they don’t know where they are (or where they’re going). In cases such as these, don’t take pains to help the mapper. If the characters are sneaking through a maze and they make a wrong turn, it’s all the more fun when they have to backtrack."

So there's nothing here to educate the player about why mapping might be a good idea in the first place. It's just a nod and a wink to what might be going on and what you all might get out of that. And as to a caller or anything of that nature, I can find nothing, in the PHB, DMG, PHB2 or DMG2. Given that the latter two titles both contained chapters dedicated to improving different kinds of game, I find the absence of material of this nature more disappointing now than I did at the time (when I was just glad that both xII books distilled useful guidance to new players and DMs).

I realise, as others have stated in this thread and elsewhere, that the typical game has long since shifted towards four or five players and PCs per session, and less emphasis on epic-scale dungeon or wilderness exploration. That's all fine by me. But I'd still like to see our core books say, "But you know what? Here are these other game parameters and these are the means by which you might accommodate them."

Remove ads