The Celestial Empire (Romance of the Three Kingdoms-ish, Updated 12/09/05)

Xianlung

Nayu gave a wince, but tried not to show his grimace. He looked back, and saw Chou was even less diplomatic... the soldier had both of his covering his ears. Liu, to Nayu’s chagrin, was riding blithely along, as if there was nothing wrong. Silently, Nayu wished for that kind of patience and concentration as his eyes looked to his right, at the source of their discomfort.

Unperturbed, Felonca continued to sing beyond her vocal range, a radiant smile beaming from her face as they cantered along the main road to Xianlung. Nayu held back another wince as her improvisation song and rhyme continued.

“I’m happy I’m alive,
Its such a great vibe,
Better than the ride
That hurts my backside,
But it hurts ‘cause I’m alive!”

“Make it stop,” Chou groaned.

“She’s happy. Let her be,” Nayu replied. I’d be giddy and singing if I’d cheated death like that too!

“But she’s been like this for two entire days!” Chou moaned, as another refrain began to assault the air. Felonca was still singing happily, oblivious to the comment.

“She’ll stop once we reach Xianlung,” Nayu assured, wincing as she hit a very high, very flat C. If not, someone alongside the street will comment loud enough she will hear, and then we’ll have a mess... “If you don’t want to hear it anymore, you can scout the road out ahead, give us some heads up on anything.”

“Gladly,” Chou grumbled, spurring his horse ahead.

Singing grew old by the time Chou galloped into view a few hours later as the sun was starting to set. Silently, Nayu thanked his ancestors as the singing changed to humming, and the gave a growl as he saw Chou’s frightened looking face.

“The bridge is out ahead! The prefect has people fixing it right now, but for the time being, we’re going to have to cross two days further south!”

Two days... that’s not that bad. I wonder why...

Oh.

Nayu remembered Chou had been one pushing for the group to just plunge ahead to Xianlung when Felonca was hurt, even after they’d figured out pushing that quickly would be cutting close. If they’d pushed on ahead, only to find the bridge washed out...

Nayu shook his head, and smiled when Felonca gave a happy sigh and launched into another refrain.

“The setting sun is red,
Soon it will be time for bed,
I’m happy, it can be said,
After all, I’m not dead!”

Some three days later, the party spied over a hillock the walls and pagoda towers of Xianlung. Smoke from hundreds of chimneys rose lazily into the air, as the noises of the bustle of a large city echoed faintly in their ears.

“So... um... Xianlung is quite big,” Felonca said breathlessly. That’s the biggest city I’ve ever seen! She looked over at Nayu, who had a smile of memories on his face.

“There’s maybe 40,000 people in the city,” he said, before his eyes clouded a bit and his smile died suddenly. “That’s what my father always said.”

The look lasted only a few seconds, before Nayu suddenly shook his head.

“When we get inside, I’m going to the local scholar academy... they’ll likely be interested in many of the items we’ve... procured. Like the claws from that undead creature we killed.”

“What use would those be, other than stinking up the place?” Chou grumbled. They were packed on his horse, something the warrior had also complained frequently about.

“I have no doubt Nayu can get them to buy them. After all, he’ll be trying to prove to us all how excellent a trader he is!” Felonca chuckled. Scholars are always after weird things, which should make things easier for him... and maybe that’ll get his mind off of his parents...

The city proved as impressive in Felonca’s mind as it initially looked. Its streets were broad and smooth, and on all sides markets bustled and merchants hawked their wares. Felonca’s wide eyes caught sight of strange colorful birds, monkeys, rare spices, gems, even a real tiger. Just as they passed a fountain, its four dragons spitting water to the four winds, she heard a laugh from beside her.

“If you think this place is big... Mingzhong, the provincial capital is bigger,” Nayu grinned, reining up his horse. “We’re here.”

Felonca’s eyes then looked to where Nayu gestured, and saw a massive, long building, easily taller than all those around it. Its entrance was set thirty steps above the street, surrounded by gardens and trees. From atop the structure hung several pennants: one displayed the character for “knowledge.” Another, “wisdom.” The third displayed a character she recognized as a sound, but not a word. “Hu.”

“Is Hu the surname of the governors of Langya?” Felonca asked, dismounting in awe.

“Yes,” Liu replied. “Governor Hu Yuan, Prince of Langya. He has been governor here for many years... he was governor when my father was born even. A wise and virtuous man.”

“Well,” Nayu smiled, eyes gleaming from the potential to make a deal, “let’s hope his scholars are little less wise!”

“This... is most interesting, young man,” a silk clad elderly man said a little while later. One hand carefully held a claw from the undead beast, while the other carefully stroked his long, snow white beard. As he bowed his head to inspect the sharpness of the claw’s edge, his tall, thin head-dress flopped forward slightly. After a few seconds, his head snapped up in decision. “I think we might offer eight hundred taels of gold for this... artifact.”

Nayu’s frown became palpable.

“Eight hundred? Most wise sage, there are mere street hawkers outside who offered me fifteen hundred!” Nayu lied. It wasn’t something he did often, but when he had to, he did it with panache.

“No street vendor would have the same resources as our,” the scholar waved his arm towards the roof of the chamber they were in, “esteemed, and most virtuous students of Master Kong-Shi.” The boast was followed by a polite bow, but the scholar’s eyes watched Nayu the entire time.

And Nayu gave a sigh.

“Well, I would like to sincerely apologize for wasting your time,” Nayu gathered up the claws and other items. “And mine as well. I can see that for all your wisdom, you do not appreciate what these items are, or how much they would be worth. I think that T’sao Yun the trader would understand their value more...”

“Wait.” The words were forced, and when Nayu turned around, suppressing a grin, it was clearly evident that that scholar did not want to pay the price. He was backed into a corner, however, and Nayu grinned as he watched a surrender.

“You’re really good!” Felonca laughed twenty minutes later, as she and Nayu left the Scholar’s Academy, several thousand gold taels richer. “Remind me never to buy anything from you!”

“Ah... your a friend, you’d get a discount,” Nayu waved off her statement, before grinning again. “Now, let’s sell the rest of this. I don’t think the scholar’s would have let us leave if they knew we had twelve of these claws instead of nine!”

“You really expect that there’ll be some traders here that will buy them?”

“Maybe,” Nayu mounted his horse, and after a moment, the two were heading towards another market in the city. “T’sao Yun might be interested... My hopes aren’t high, but I think he still has an item that might help me some...well, two actually.”

“Like what?”

“Well, one, the last time my father took me here, he had a small choker, very beautiful, inlaid with diamonds and gold. More than looking pretty, however, it also has a little magic in it to help me be more persuasive.”

“You? More persuasive? Why do you need to be more persuasive? The way you verbally manhandled that scholar, the paragon of knowledge and wisdom these days, I’m guessing you could talk the Emperor himself into running through the streets naked!” Felonca laughed.

“I’d rather that than accidentally run into my verbal match with no backup plans,” Nayu grunted, as Felonca laughed even more.

“A verbal match? Ha! I don’t think such a person exists!” She laughed more, before calming down enough to ask what the other thing T’sao Yun had that interested Nayu.

“Well... he also knows people that can put magic into weapons, for far cheaper than asking the prefect or one of the schol...”

“HE DOES?!?” Felonca asked, mouth agape. Her eyes flashed down, and suddenly her two warfans were in her hands, and she waved them about excitedly. “He can put some magic in these?”

It was Nayu’s turn to laugh. “Yes... almost whatever you want, so long as you have the taels. Whether you want your faces to be coated in ice to keep you cold on a hot summers day, or to give off a fresh smell ever time they’re waved...”

“Great! Let’s go!” Felonca spurred her horse to a gallop in the crowded street, scaring pedestrians. Nayu gave a low grunt of, “Oh no... here we go,” before spurring himself after her.

“Now, let me do the talking,” Nayu cautioned a few minutes later, as the two stood outside a rather large tent in the midst of the main bazaar. “Master T’sao can be an old curmudgeon, but he’s fair.”

Felonca gave a sigh. I really want to help out! I want to get some magic in my warfans! Impatiently, she stood outside the tent, listening to murmurs, grunts, and muffled complaints by Nayu and another deep voice.

“...I cannot pay more than nine hundred for each of these...”

Hmmm... what’s in these other tents? Felonca thought, looking at the other tents around the bazaar. Gingerly, she wandered over to the one next to T’saos, and poked her head inside. Before her eyes was a tent full of claws and bones, an old man on the far side hawking the benefits of ground tiger teeth as an aphrodisiac, and powdered beaver skull as an elixir to cure headaches.

There’s at least another person who’d like some bones, I bet! Let’s see if there are any more...

Quickly she went from tent to nearby tent, looking in, and saw a great many of them had bones of various kinds... and an idea started to grow in her head.

“...the scholars paid fifteen hundred! If you want, I can just go back to them...” she heard Nayu complain, his voice now loud and possibly angry.

“...just go on. They won’t have a choker like mine, and they’ll overcharge on the weapons...” another voice replied matter-of-factly, but also with an edge of anger.

“No they won’t!” Nayu growled, anger now flashing in his eyes. Anger at T’sao for being an unmovable, stubborn man, and anger at himself for not being able to move the old man from his position. “They’re good, honest folk, that’ll pay fair price!”

“Young whelp,” the old man smiled, with the same damningly calm, toothy smile he’d kept for the past half hour, “they’re in the same business as me. Get their stuff as cheaply as possible, and I perfectly well think you’re lying. They didn’t pay you no fifteen hundred gold for each claw. You know it, and I...”

The monologue stopped suddenly, as both T’sao and Nayu heard a voice outside, high pitched, hawking.

“Undead beast claws! Right here! Rare, from the woods north of here, from a beast thrice the size of a horse! Right here! Asking price, two thousand gold per claw! Who knows what wonders they might contain, what ailments they might cure! Stankh claws, right here!”

Oh gods and ancestors, please tell me she’s not... Nayu started to complain, until he and T’sao peered outside the tent.

Felonca sat on her horse, Nayu’s steed at her side. Around them was clustered a large mass of people, many of them traders from the surrounding tents, yelling, shouting offering gold and in a few cases, platinum taels. Felonca momentarily caught Nayu’s gaze, and gingerly she moved the horses closer to Nayu.

“Hey Felonca!” Nayu called cheerily, his own mind realizing what she’d done. “How goes it, what’s the asking price now?”

“Well, there’s a plump old woman here named Urihu that wants to give twelve hundred gold per claw!” Felonca pointed.

“I’ll pay eighteen!” T’sao suddenly jumped in, his eyes glaring at the woman Felonca pointed out. Immediately, the woman spat back she’d pay nineteen hundred, just to make sure that T’sao didn’t get his hands on them.

“Two thousand!” T’sao shouted at Urihu, “and I’ll give you two the choker for free!”

“Well, now that that chaos is over, where to now?” Felonca asked a few hours later, running her hands over her warfans. The air around the two weapons seemed different, almost as if it were pulsing. “Oh, and the choker looks very nice on you... be careful, someone engaged in my field will try to liberate it from you I bet!”

“Eh, if they try, they’ll get a morningstar filled with my spells to urge them to leave!” Nayu laughed, before his face became serious again. “As for our course... we should press to Mingzhong. The governor is there, and at the least, he must know of what is going on to the north. And...”

“...he might know where your family is,” Felonca finished. “I’ll go fetch Chou and Liu.”

Oh, I like audience questions. :)

Well, Captain Li is still being carted around, bound and gagged, so he hasn’t figured into much anything yet... so I sorta forgot him in my notes even up till this point.

On that note, tomorrow I’m leaving for winter break, so there won’t be any updates until after the first. Happy Holidays, everyone!

And now, the start of the third session.

==========================================

A Message

“Can’t leave yet.”

“What? Why?” Nayu asked quietly as he finished a cup of steamed wine. “Is that why you’re so late getting back?” Outside, the lack of shadows spoke that it was already noon, nearly two hours after Felonca was supposed to return.

The panther hengeyokai looked about, and flagged down a waiter as well to get herself a cup.

“Well, Liu is still with his brothers in faith... they’re talking in low voices about something or other, they seemed kinda upset when I barged in,” Felonca rolled her eyes slightly. “That, and Chou right now is drunk out of his mind, laying up in the Inn of Bountiful Harvests, by the northern gate. His father was there as well, we talked for a bit, that’s why I’m late. Oh, and I bought something too!”

“You ungagged him?” Nayu’s voice was suddenly dark, and she could see fury playing just within the edges of his eyes... none of which disturbed Felonca whatsoever.

“Yeah, yeah, I did,” she waved off his anger. “Man’s been bound save for eating some time now. And he has been behaving well. Anyways, look at my hair!” She motioned towards the mop of black on her head, now held in a bun by three rather well made sticks. “Aren’t they lovely? Cost me 50 gold to get them!”

Her impish reply deflated Nayu’s anger, and she silently thanked her ancestors the little idea had worked.

“That’s... rather expensive for what looks to be a triplet of ornate chopsticks. Any particular reason?” he groaned, going along with her excitement unwillingly.

“Some. They might come in handy,” Felonca gave a broad grin of ”I know a secret!” before looking outside at the chaos of the city traffic. “I say we head to the Bountiful Harvest, and get some rooms.” She watched Nayu stiffen a bit, before gently adding, “One more day, that’s all... whatever Liu was busy with seemed important, and when Chou I imagine is very grumpy when hungover... its best to just let him sleep it off.”

Nayu gave a grunt of defeat, and the two left for the inn.

Ah... feather mattresses and goosedown pillows are the best inventions of all time! Felonca snuggled into their softness, relaxing and stretching for sleep for only the second time in some weeks. Her eyes opened briefly, as she took in the moonlight coming through the windows of the Bountiful Harvest.

Nayu’s probably fidgety... I bet he’ll wake everyone up early tomorrow... I hope the runner got the message to Liu, otherwise we’ll have to find him tomorrow and Nayu will be even more cross...

Sleep gently took her away, to world that existed only three months before. In its deep mists, Felonca saw faces, swishing flashing in front of her eyes. Her father, tall, stern and commanding, the front hairs of his muzzle starting to turn gray. His deep voice, proud and powerful, wishing her the blessings of her ancestors as she left for the Academy.

As his hand gestured to the outside of her house, the mists of her dreamworld parted, revealing the Academy, its squat sandstone and brick structure blazing red in the sun, only steps away.

“Wa-Feng Felonca!” a sharp, thundering voice barked. A shadow, and fear raced through Felonca’s mind. A hulking, powerful shape blotting out the sun, casting her into the darkness. The same green eyes that for ten years had followed and cursed her throughout the Academy, their cat-like pupils narrowing into slits. Master Hsiu’ massive, nine foot tall frame bristled, the orange and blacked stripes on his hengeyokai fur standing on end.

Just as quickly, the apparition seemed to vanish, and she found herself at archery practice... A white wolf hengeyokai stood beside her, his eyes dangerous, his form towering, hulking, massive.

“My clan will end yours, Wa-Feng,” he sneered, Felonca’s family name coming out as if it was a curse. “Bai-Long shall crush your piting ‘Black Fangs,’ to pieces, you stupid little girl!”

Felonca’s mind remembered the anger she felt at that statement. The White Wolf Clan will never end us! They are thieves, robbers, and scoundrels! No more! She remembered hot and angry words coming to her mouth, her blood rushing in her veins as she prepared to wipe the sneer off of Bai-Long Mao’s white haired face.

“Your clan is nothing! The White Wolf Clan is nothing more than a bunch of cowardly thieves, who use night and bribery where real warriors would rely on their steel, brains and courage!” she snapped back. “You are nothing but a bunch of murdering cowards!”

The wolf turned completely to face her, his eyes furious.

“If we are such ‘cowardly murderers,’ why are our clans services in use by most of the courtiers and nobles within the Empire? And why, oh miss bravery, miss ignorance, miss wooden fool, is your clan’s services so... lacking in need?”

“My clan was a clan of warriors! A clan of leaders in battle! My grandfather led 10,000 of the Imperial troops at the Great Battle of the Sands! My father fought off a thousand Kara Kitai tribesmen with only a company of 50 men!” she protested, hot anger causing tears to start to form in her eyes. “The Black Fang have always been a proud clan of warriors!”

“Yet you, boastful one, despite being the most senior cadet here by many years, have yet to lead morning drill practice! You are weak, you stupid cat! Your clan is weak too! No one needs soldiers! They only need us... and we make soldiers die in their sleep!”

“Bai-Long! Wa-Feng! You are excused from archery.” a high, nasally voice droned from seemingly inside her head. Her dream spun around, and she found herself confronting a familiar, comforting face.

Master Quan-Shi was a rare weasel hengeyokai... and even rarer still, he was an expert in the ways of war. A bowman extraordinaire, according to legend it was Quan-Shi’s quick bow some twenty years before that had saved the Emperor’s uncle in a battle with the desert tribes of the north. Now, he taught others the skills of archery, and had risen to a high place amongst the instructors of the Academy. The only reason he wasn’t second to Master Hsiu himself was due to some unknown but virulent disagreements between the two.

“You’re lucky, Wa-Feng,” Mao’s icy blue eyes bore deep into Felonca’s mind as he hissed. “If Master Quan-Shi hadn’t come, I’d ripped you right to shreds... just like how oneday I and my clan will shred apart your mother, your father...”

Felonca felt once again her claws extend, and felt the anger coursing through her body, writhing, growing more and more as the wolf hengeyokai continued his rant. Echoes of her parents voices ran rampant, but just as she was about to swing at him, she knew Master Quan-Shi was behind her.

“YOU ARE DISMISSED, BAI-LONG MAO!” his voice gave a rare bark, with enough vehemence and command that even the powerful wolf jumped back slightly. The eyes looked at Quan-Shi fearfully, before giving a final sneer at Felonca.

Felonca, hot tears streaming down her face, turned to leave as well, before the high, nasally voice, still sharp with command, called out.

“You wait a moment, Wa-Feng!”

Slowly she turned, dropping to one knee, the standard sign of respect for one of the Masters.

“Master Quan-Shi. I apologize for my...”

“Wa-Feng Felonca,” the voice said, much softer and quieter. “You are a brave girl, but a foolish one as well. Mao could have torn you to pieces in a fight, and... to be honest, you do not have the skills yet without weapons to have resisted him. You must learn to walk away from such a contest, avoid such a fight, until you have the resources to gain victory.” The weasel’s dark eyes belied concern for his student, even as he folded his arms. “You are proud and headstrong, Felonca... you must learn to harness those energies to make yourself stronger, faster and better. You are a gifted student, you merely need focus.”

The voice was silent momentarily, before it returned, sharpness back within its depths.

“Wa-Feng Felonca! You, as well as Bai-Long Mao, will report to Master Hsiu for disciplining. On the battlefield, you will have to act as one, regardless of personal likes and dislikes. Dissention within the ranks cannot be permitted!” Even as he barked the orders, Felonca could see concern, and perhaps even regret in his eyes.

Quan-Shi cared, at least... cared enough to treat me like a person... unlike Master Hsiu, Bai-Long, or most of the other students...

Dread filled the young hengeyokai’s heart. In her previous ten years, it had become apparent that Master Hsiu himself had taken a personal disliking to her... and disliking that resulted in lashings every time trouble occurred. Her mind wrapped around the idea of the whip cutting open her back.

And with a gasp, she awoke.

The same soft moonlight petered through the windows of the inn, and the noise of singing and carousing from downstairs had died away, only to be replaced by...

What’s that? Her sensitive hearing caused her to snap upright, as faint scratches and patter lessened into nothing. With a leap, she landed silently beside her warfans, and clasped them within her grasp. A second later, she was by the door, carefully waiting and ready. Slowly, cautiously, she opened the door a crack, just wide enough an eye could see out. Another hand reached up, and pulled one of the “chopsticks” down. Her blood was rushing so hard that the hand clasping the weapon trembled.

Nothing.

She sniffed the air, and smelled something familiar... something strange. Squirrel.

Nixu! her mind jumped, remembering the young hengeyokai that had run away from her before her injury. Why was Nixu here? He could be in...

Her start into the hallway was interrupted when she her silk rustle beneath her feet. She looked down, and saw what looked be a silk bag, holding something. Carefully, she reached down, and opened up the bag, revealing a necklace with several large, blue stones... not gems, but nonetheless beautiful in a haunting and strange way.

That, however, was not what drew Felonca’s attention the most.

The bag, itself, was a letter, written on fine silk parchment. As she read the contents, Felonca’s eyes grew wider and wider...

Felonca,

You were always one of my brightest pupils, but sadly also among the most rash. Why did you leave the school? You were clearly bright and apt at the arts of war. Hsiu was so furious at you he took most of his good warriors to run you down.

I expose myself to great risk by sending this message to you: Beware. Hsiu has gone so far as to hire White Wolf Clan members to hunt you down. I do not need to tell you of their skills. You are very bright, young Felonca... do not let your skills go for nought.

At the bottom, was the stamp of the only one of the school Master’s that cared about her...

I’m back... and now, for more updates!

The Prince of Langya

Nayu giggled.

Madame Cixi also laughed as the small red and green lizard crawled over Nayu’s squirming hands, its colors then suddenly oscillating to the color of his flesh. It then stopped, its tongue flickering, searching the air as its legs tickled his skin.

“Its from far to the south, young Nayu, from the lands of Chosun,” Cixi continued, her voice old but still smooth. She leaned over and petted the astounded young boy’s head. “A trader brought it unwittingly in his goods... he wanted it gotten rid of, and I guessed that you’d love to see it!”

“It’s beautiful, Madame Cixi,” Nayu smiled, the small creature climbing up his arm again. “I’m going to name him Kenzi!” he announced loudly and proudly, his five year old arms whirling the lizard around, “and he’ll be my pet forever and ever!”

As he whirled about the market square with his new pet, the sounds of the bazaar filled the air around him. Someone arguing with Zhiang the butcher about a pound of meat. Lu Gi the stablemaster attempting to corral his horses.

And a weird, strange thumping noise. It started quietly, but rose in volume and frequency suddenly. Nayu looked about, his five year old ears recognizing the sound of someone at a door, knocking. But there was no one around him knocking on any doors.

That’s really odd... and there’s something by my head...hmm...what? Wait... huh?

Nayu’s tired and bleary eyes opened, and to his momentary confusion, he was greeted not with the light and sounds of a bazaar, but the darkness of a room in a quiet inn, save for the incessant pounding on a door.

The door to his room.

“Who in the...” Nayu grumbled, feeling Kenzi skitter away towards his pack. I swear, if this isn’t an emergency, I don’t care who this is, I will beat them silly! I swear... Carefully, the young sorcerer stumbled onto the floor, and somehow crept over Liu and Chou’s still sleeping forms.

“It is your friend,” Captain Li’s voice whispered quietly in the darkness. “She has been calling for you for the past few minutes. I did not reply, as I did not know if you wanted to be awoken or not.”

How the heck do I respond to that? ‘Thanks, you rotten bastard?’ Too much thought was required to think on an appropriate verbal reply, so Nayu settled on a grunt of acknowledgement to the man in the darkness, whose hands were still bound. A part of Nayu’s mind actually thought of releasing his bonds for a few moments in the morning... a merciful thought that was cut brutally short by Nayu’s memory, and the images of his parents.

“Nayu!” Felonca’s muffled and frightened voice came through the door. “Hurry! Please!”

Felonca’s frightened? Of what? This is the same girl that charged that undead creature when she had yellow mold disease... I think this might qualify as something of an emergency then... dammit.

“Hold on,” Nayu grunted sleepily, making his way to the door and then cracking it open. Before she could begin talking, he had already hissed out a shush. “The others are sleeping. What is it?”

At that moment, Felonca launched into a rapid, expressive, albeit quiet, explanation of the nights events, so quick that Nayu had trouble following. “...andtheniopenedthedoorand Isawanotebutitwasfrommyoldmaster...”

“Felonca, slow down,” Nayu gripped her shoulders, while trying to rouse his sleepy brain. “I can’t understand talking that fast at this hour, or any hour. Take a deep breath, calm down, and please...tell...me...slowly.”

Felonca closed her eyes, and took in a deep breath. Using all her willpower, she then explained rather calmly about the letter, and who it was from... as well as its portents of doom.

“The White Wolf Clan is after me, Nayu! They’re the best assassins in the entire region! We need to go, and get out of here! Now!” she tugged at his nightshirt, pulling him into the hallway.

Nayu’s brain registered the warning, but his body still screamed for rest. For a longing second, he looked back to his bed, before forcing himself to look at Felonca again.

“Do they know you are here?” Nayu asked, his voice slow with concentration.

“No, but if Master Quan-Shi was able to find me, they could too!” Felonca moaned.

“Well... if he knows your here, he’s not likely to tell them, now is he?” Nayu muttered in half-sleep logic. “It would be riskier to go now and risk ambush on the road,” he muttered on, his brain congratulating itself for that little coup of possible real logic, “so I say we stay here... and I think the sleeping people would agree with me.”

“The young man has a point,” Li’s voice came through the darkness. Nayu was not too tired to scowl.

“Well... can... can I sleep here then?” Felonca gave a mix of a sigh and a whimper.

“I suppose, but I’m not going on any kind of watch. We’re fine here,” Nayu replied with a yawn. “Bring your pallet over here... there’s room for you behind Chou.”

Within a few minutes, Nayu was sleeping peacefully, while Felonca sat huddled in a corner, her eyes fearfully looking at the doors and windows.

“I told you things would be fine,” Nayu grinned some hours later as Xianlung faded into the distance behind the party.

“Meh,” Felonca grunted, her mind caught halfway between the world of sleep, and the hyperactive world of alertness. Must look for danger! Must look for danger! one part of her mind screamed, just as the other half of her mind screamed that it needed sleep immediately. The result of the two combined was Felonca reeling in her saddle at times as she tried to look around. A passerby could have easily taken her for being drunk.

“No White Wolves in Xianlung, and I highly doubt there’ll be any in Mingzhong,” Nayu continued matter of factly. “Besides, once we tell the Governor of Langya what is going on, I bet you won’t have to worry about any assassins anymore!”

“And if they try to attack you, they’ll have to come through my sword, Liu’s fists, and...” Chou started heroically from just behind Felonca, only to end feebly, “...perhaps my...”

“No.” The statement from Nayu was sharp, definitive and commanding.

“Nayu. Please, for the old man’s sake, let him be untied for a bit,” Liu spoke. “He’s be tied up for well close to several weeks, save the few breaks during the night when I let him loose.”

You what?!

As the furious ‘discussion’ rose in volume and temper, Felonca’s mind began to wander.

Nayu is still angry at Chou’s father... but Li could be helpful... another blade is never a bad thing, especially against assassins like the White Wolf...

...but now he probably hates Nayu, and if those two were ever left alone...

No. Nayu’s right. It’s for the best if Captain Li is kept tied up. The Governor of Langya will know what to do with him. Maybe, the Governor will release him to us, and we can use his sword...[/i]

Felonca’s worn eyes then swiveled up the road, and suddenly she wasn’t tired anymore.

“GUYS!” she yelled yanking her horse immediately off the road into a small copse of trees. As she reined up, she heard hoofbeats halting behind her, and confused questions beginning.

“What was it, Felonca?” Nayu asked, worry in his voice as he, too, beheld the large column of dust up the road, radiant brown and orange in the noonday sun.

“I don’t know,” Chou replied, his eyes locked on the dust cloud as well. A dull shing echoed as he drew his blade, “but I don’t like it. And I think from the size of that thing that an extra blade would be good.” Now the warrior’s eyes looked directly at Nayu, whose frame suddenly stiffened as he stared directly back at the fighter.

“I can fight!” Li said, wiggling at his bonds. “Let me free, let me repay you in what way I can. Let me regain what honor I have lost!”

“Honor?! What honor, you lazy-eyed scoundrel!?” Nayu shot back.

“Hey now!” Chou suddenly jumped between Nayu and his father, his eyes blazing towards the sorcerer.

The argument once again receded in Felonca’s ears as she shifted into hybrid form and crept away, towards the cloud. Silent, swift, and deadly, her mind thought as she slinked closer, trying to find out what it was exactly that was headed in their direction. I’d rather be that than loud, angry, and thick-headed.

“Honor? You want to talk about honor?” Nayu hissed, not paying the least attention to the large armored man between him and Captain Li. “What honor was there in leading us to our doom? What honor is there in ordering the massacre of a village? What honor is there...”

“HE DIDN’T BURN DOWN RED LOTUS!” Liu’s voice suddenly leapt above all, its sharp rebuke snapping through Nayu like a whip. Instantly, Nayu stopped in midsentence, his eyes wide as he looked at the monk that had so often been so calm. No more.

“Captain Li was taking orders, from the Governor in Mukden! He is your enemy! He is the one that ordered our deaths, and ordered the destruction of Red Lotus and the other villages! Captain Li was merely following orders, orders that he disobeyed because he didn’t want to kill us!

“So, leading us off into the desert to die is better than just cutting our heads off himself!?” Nayu shot back, not caring the monk was upset. “So he’s not only a murdering scoundrel, but a coward too!”

“Nayu,” Liu shook his head, placing a hand on the young man’s shoulder, “we have many enemies in this world. We need as many blades as we can get. If Felonca is right, and the White Wolf Clan are after her, that likely means they are after us as well. Not to mention the Governor in Mukden, and his undead armies.” Liu then paused, and stared into Nayu’s eyes, judging, weighing. The calm had returned.

“Captain Li is skilled with a blade,” the monk continued after a moment, “and he has expressed as great a remorse as possible for what happened. Let him fight beside us. I shall take blame if he steps aside.”

“As will I!” Chou immediately volunteered. “If my father tries to run off or hurt you, I’ll kill him myself!” the young man blustered, and Nayu winced.

I doubt you would be able to do that, Nayu thought quietly. Few men can kill their own flesh and blood without thinking of it. Yet you offer...

“Fine,” Nayu sighed in defeat. “Get his blade.” As Chou yelped with joy and Liu went to the horses to fetch the arms, Nayu’s eyes turned to the old man.

I will be watching you. Like a hawk. And if you step even slightly out of line...

...I will kill you.

Nayu was still angrily miffed when a scurry told him that Felonca had crept back to their little makeshift camp.

“A column... a parade of some kind,” she said before he could even ask. “Lots of soldiers, with a litter and eight bearers in the middle. The soldiers all had red cloaks with a white circle on the back. Does that mean anyone in particular?”

Could it be him? No... why would he be headed AWAY from Mingzhong!

“Those... those are the symbols of the Hu family, the governors of Langya,” Nayu said slowly, his mind working. “I don’t know why he’d be headed away from the capital at Mingzhong though.” Something’s not right here!

“Shouldn’t we step out onto the road to meet him?” Nayu heard Li ask, the old man jingling slightly as he walked about in his armor for the first time in weeks.

“No... something’s not right here, I don’t know what.” Nayu furrowed his brow, trying to think why the governor would be leaving his post as the noise of hoofbeats and feet trodding up the dusty road started to rumble louder and louder.

“Fine... everyone down!” Felonca hissed, and jingles of armor died away just as the first part of the column rounded the bend into view.

At the lead were two soldiers, armed with halberds and covered in gilt scale armor. Their eyes roamed about, looking, searching for danger. Instinctively Nayu shrunk closer to the ground, hoping their eyes would miss him, when he heard it.

The cough was quiet, weak, and Chou had tried hard to cover it up. Immediately, however, the two soldiers suddenly scowled in the group’s direction, and reined up their horses. One snatched out a large bow and notched an arrow, while the other trotted closer and closer.

“Come out! We know you are there!” he bellowed, his halberd waving in the air menacingly. “Get out here you scum before we run you through!” Nayu crouched even lower, the smell of horse and rider overwhelming his nose, before he felt a sudden rough push from behind. His mind had only a moment to realize he was lucky that the soldier hadn’t struck him with the sharpened edge of the blade, before he tumbled into the road, landing with a crunch. He wanted to yell, but there was no breath in his lungs.

“Aha! You rotten rascal!” the soldier bellowed, the halberd’s sharp blade merely inches from Nayu’s neck. “Planning an ambush, weren’t you? Well, no one will be attacking us today! Call your friends out, or I’ll cut your throat!”

“Nayu!” The young sorcerer heard running, and the sudden absence of the halberd’s cold touch told him that Felonca must have dashed out from cover. Her rapid footsteps suddenly stopped, as the noise of more horses thundering close, along with running feet washed by. Carefully, Nayu rolled himself over, in time to see eight pairs of sandaled feet, a waft of perfume coming from them.

“What is the trouble?” a voice from somewhere above asked. The voice was young, but deep. That’s not the Governor of Langya! He is an old man!

“Bandits!” he heard the soldier’s voice spit. “They were likely planning to ambush Your Excellency, loot your treasures, and hold you for ransom! I can gut them all right now, if you wish!”

“Yes, Your Excellency, execution is what the law calls for!” This voice was different. High and tinny, its nasal twang spoke of someone from the far south... like the capital of Ak Konylu.

“Excellency,” Nayu whispered. Only now was the pain from the soldier’s blow starting to register. “I am a trader, from the north...”

His explanation was cut short, as another pair of feet seemed to step straight out of the sky into his view. Belatedly his mind realized the litter had stopped right in front of him, and he looked up.

And saw his own face looking back at him.

Trading Places

“Who are you?”

Two voices asked the same question, each with the same inflection, their faces with the same look of puzzlement. One looked up from a road of dust, his cloak now a light brown from the dirt, while the other looked down, clad in bright blue silken robes, giltwork on their large, flowing sleeves.

What the? Felonca asked, her face in astonishment. It’s almost as if Nayu had a lost twin brother.

“We are not assassins! We’ve come to warn of great danger to the north!” Felonca suddenly blurted out. He’s in expensive robes, and Nayu said those flags are the symbol of the Hu family. He’s probably someone important! And by the looks on the guards faces, if we don’t give an explanation soon, there could be trouble! She immediately dropped onto her knees and performed a kow-tow. “The Military Governor of the Borderlands is amassing an army! He means to destroy these lands!”

She felt two hands suddenly touch her arms, and pull her up. The tall young man looked down at her, and gave a reassuring smile.

“That’s not neccessary. Please,” a hand motioned for her to move beside Nayu, who was slowly rising from the ground as well. “If I can be of service, I will help as much as possible. My name is Hu Shikai, I am the son of the Governor and Prince of Langya.”

It took the party some time to spill their story to the stranger. Unfortunately, it took him a mere second to dash their hopes for immediate help.

“Hai,” he sighed, looking down, dark concern filling his face. “I... wish I could help right away, but sadly, there is pressing business I must attend to.”

Pressing business?” Nayu asked sharply, forgetting his place. Remembering he was talking to a prince, Nayu suddenly flushed, and gave a hurried bow. “Excuse my anger, Excellency, but what, may I ask, can be more important than an army of unholy creatures threatening your northern borders?” And what could be more important that helping me locate my parents!?

The young man’s face turned, twisted with a pained expression.

“The funeral of my father, sir,” Prince Shikai said softly. “The Governor passed last night in his sleep, and the funeral is tomorrow. Until I have been blessed and consecrated as the new governor of Langya, I can do nothing other than offer you the assurance that once I do become governor, that this matter will be dealt with immediate and forceful action.”

Nayu suddenly frowned, a wrinkle in his brain telling him something wasn’t right. For a second, he held his tongue, fearful that more questions might make the prince think him impudent. The restraints lasted only a few moments. Just before Nayu opened his mouth, his diplomatic side forced him to bow his head, in an attempt to soften the next probing question.

“I am aggrieved to hear of that, Your Excellency. However, this young servant’s mind is perplexed. Your Excellency, if your illustrious father has passed, why, may I ask, are you riding away from Mingzhong? Surely the funeral for the governor would be held within the walls of the capital city...”

To Nayu’s surprise, the young man’s face changed as suddenly as the wind, a slight smile on his lips.

“You are a very observant man.” The Prince’s flowing robes fluttered in the wind as he approached very close to Nayu, gripping both of the sorcerer’s shoulders. “I may have some use for you, if you would care to hear it.”

Some use for me? That sounds ominous... and the way his face changed so suddenly. No man who is really grieving for his father would smile so quickly after his father’s demise. “What might this humble servant do for Your Excellency?”

“I...have business to attend to in Xianlung, which means I will not be able to attend my father’s funeral. I need someone to go in my stead, as it would be disrespectful to my father’s memory if his youngest son was to not attend his memorial.”

Nayu’s eyes went wide, his suspicions growing larger. Is he offering for me to take his place for a day? Why? Something is most definitely wrong here. Nayu knew better than to ask what would keep him from his father’s funeral, but Felonca wasn’t. Nayu immediately scowled at her after her impertinent question. The young man, however, merely gave her a smile.

“Business, as I said. If you,” he turned back to Nayu, “would be willing to take my place at my father’s funeral, I would be willing to compensate you and your friends handsomely.”

How handsomely? How handsomely to take your place in what will likely be a dangerous place? What is this business...

...someone is probably trying to kill him.
Nayu realized. His eyes and raised eyebrow asked the question for him. The Prince cleared his throat.

“I would make it worth your while by paying you four thousand gold taels.” Nayu’s eyes remained locked with those of the prince, and the sorcerer crossed his arms even as Felonca let out a slight whistle.

“And,” the prince added with a smile, “I will do my utmost to find where your parents are at, and to ensure they are safe and sound.” This time, it was Nayu’s mouth that opened slightly.

“What all would be involved in this... charade, Excellency?” Nayu asked guardedly. I can’t let him use them to box me into something! he shook his mind.

“Nothing out of somewhat tedious ceremony,” the prince replied. “Knowing when to offer blessings to the winds, blessings to the sky, to the sea, to Heaven and to Earth. Knowing when to bow and when to kow-tow. Oh, and also knowing how to act around certain people.”

“Such as?” He’s got you Nayu. Admit it. Nayu’s mind realized.

“Considering I just returned from exile with my mother, it would be wise to act unfriendly to my older brother, Hu Mang, as he was the one who tricked my father into exiling me in the first place.” For a second, the Prince’s eyes looked off into the distance, a sharp, angry glare at the center of their gaze. The icy tension in the air ease, as the Prince turned back to Nayu, and gave another smile. “Should you wish, I could send along a one of my court scholar’s to train you in the ways of proper decorum, and how to act around certain people.”

“Agreed,” Nayu said solemnly. I’m not doing this for the money, but for Mom and Dad!

“Excellent!” the Prince beamed.

“What exactly have you gotten yourself into?” Felonca asked worriedly as the column receded into the distance. Before Nayu could reply, a high, nasally voice interceded.

“What has he gotten himself into? You mean what have I gotten myself into, young peasant! I am a scholar, a clerk of the court, yet my master has seen fit to assign me to educate you... ruffians!” A pair of beady black eyes looked down a long thin nose at Nayu, Felonca, and the others. “Bah! I do not know what sin I committed in the eyes of my princely master to be placed in this lot!”

The fretting ended with a deep breath, and the scholar, his long, thin fingers continually running over his equally luxurious, elegantly trimmed beard, began his work.

“For you to pass as a member of the court, let alone a prince of the court of Langya, you must give off an air of grace, an air of elegance, an air of civility.” He backed away from Nayu, before shaking his head in disdain. “I see you clearly lack these three things, just from one look. We will have to rectify this.”

Oh no... we have to deal with him too? Felonca rolled her eyes at the elaborately clad scholar, his tall thin headdress blowing slightly in the breeze. “If it helps any, you’re more attuned to civilization than I am, Nayu.” The reassurance caused Nayu to stifle a giggle, and a huff to come from somewhere behind Felonca.

“No! He needs to pay attention!” she felt thin fingers and weak hands grab her shoulder and insistently push her to the side. She stepped aside, her eyes wide with disbelief and fury. She flicked her hybrid tail in annoyance as the blustery man walked up to Nayu, and began tsking.

“Deplorable. Horrible,” he kept saying, walking around the young sorcerer, inspecting his clothes, his slight slouch. “Stand up straight!” he barked. When Nayu patently ignored him, he pulled out a riding crop and slapped him on the back with it.

“Stand up straight!”

With a growl, Felonca watched Nayu comply, her own anger and fury reflected in his own eyes. She started to stalk over to the still fussing scholar, until she saw Nayu’s hand flash imperceptibly upwards. She stopped, their eyes having a conversation that the tuttering fool wouldn’t let them have.

If you need him thrashed, tell me, Felonca’s blazed.

“Naturally, you common peasants don’t understand the need for proper attire, attire that pleases the eye, the harmony of nature, and the dao,” the scholar added with a growl. “Such dirty leathers, smelly wool, that does not of this! Now... young man. Walk forward.”

Nayu gave a look of distaste, and complied, a move that sparked even more tsking and huffing.

“You walk like a peasant. Your arms must flow! You must be as water, flowing through the air effortlessly as a stream passes a rock!” the scholar scolded.

“It’s going to be a long three days,” Nayu sighed.

TDRandall

Explorer
Ah, what an excellent "welcome back" from vacation. TWO updates of this wonderful story.

Valerian, you're writing has quite a panache, to draw me in so completely each time.

Looking forward to more!

A Scholar Learns His Place, and the Metropolis of Mingzhong

Felonca gave a sigh of relief as she heard Nayu start to snore. It was a soft, warbling kind of snore. The first time she’d heard it, she’d giggled. Now, she felt happy about it for a different reason.

He’s finally asleep... and can rest from that man...

Her brow furrowed, as her gaze then switched to the man sleeping nearby. His silk pajamas, likely worth more than all of Felonca’s wordly possessions, reflected a soft pink in the firelight. The mumbled in his dream, and then turned over on the soft down pillow that his head rested upon, and reshuffled haphazardly his deep, warm woolen covers.

Poor Chou... the guy has to lug the scholar’s stuff on his back.

There had been several moments that night she’d wanted to smack the man. Several times, after Nayu had been slow to react to his instruction, the scholar had smacked him. His tone was harsh and overly intellectual... he constantly and smugly made references to things he knew none of the others would understand, and then smirk from his ivory tower of knowledge.

Wang Zhou Yi once said, ‘a man without restful sleep is a man vulnerable to his enemies.’ Oh! None of you know who Wang Zhou Yi was! Oh, what a pity!” she remembered his nasally voice blaring only hours before.

Two more days, that’s all... she thought, wishing that the walls of Mingzhong would move themselves closer. She looked away from the fire, and off to the west, where somewhere in the distance, their destination sat. She blinked.

And blinked again.

She’d only seen it for a moment, an outline of something. Something human-like, two arms two legs, but also indistinct. She remembered stories of how two hundred years before, when there was no Desert Wall far to the north, the barbarians of Kara Kitai had swept down on Langya and the northern parts of the Empire.

We might be in the midst of that great battlefield... She remembered her grandfather’s stories of his grandfather, Wu Feng Yu, a mere captain in the Emperor’s army, who saved the life of the great Emperor Li so long ago.

The spirits of the soldiers may still walk, she realized, the hair on the back of her neck prickling, standing on end. She looked where she saw the shape, and unfocused her eyes. An old trick she’d learned at the Academy. In the dark, human eyes, and especially hengeyokai eyes, were adept at seeing movement, even better than shapes. Her unfocused eyes immediately told her something was there... and that it was moving.

“We’ve got a friend coming!” she called out, reaching for her warfans as the shape moved closer. She then started making out it features... ancient armor rent in twain covered its chest, a peasant’s wide brimmed hat shading its eyes. It shimmered and shook, its translucence glowing in the moonlight. She heard muffled complaints from the party, and hushed movements of people donning armor, and Nayu’s voice starting a familiar whisper.

“What is the meaning of this! Do you not know it is ruffianism to wake a gentleman who is comfortably aslee-” The scholar’s protested died as a cold, gentle breeze stirred through the air.

Carefully, cautiously, Felonca moved towards the creature, her warfans wide and spread open. The creature seemed to loom larger and larger as she approached, her guard up. Go away... go rest, she silently prayed. You should rest with your ancestors, there is no need to patrol here anymore.

The shimmering ghost seemed to stop, facing towards Felonca. She heard Nayu’s voice suddenly rise, and a sharp word of power thunder through the air. The night was suddenly lit by twin tongues of flame leaping from the young man’s fingers, licking and wreathing around the base of the ghost.

A second later, she heard loud prayers coming from Liu, his voice directed at the creature (shout). With a flip and a slash, she was upon it, her warfans slicing through the air. To her chagrin, the creature seemed to melt out of the way of her attacks. For a second, it seemed to recede into the distance, as if running away. However, she felt an immense cold to her front, and she suddenly realized the creature instead was charging her, deceiving her eyes through trickery. A second later, it was upon her.

She felt no pain, nor anything trying to control her mind, steal her soul, or fill her with mutant fungus. But she felt cold, as if the god of winter himself had reached from the heavens and grabbed her heart in his eternally icy grip. She felt to the ground, her teeth chattering and her body shaking, trying to ward off the freezing feeling. A second flash of flames from Nayu, passing only inches above her, did nothing for a few moments.

Slowly, she felt warmth return to her limbs. Still shivering, she tried to turn to see what had become of the creature when she felt Nayu’s arms around her, and his shout at feeling how cold she was.

“Blankets! Get her some blankets!” she heard Chou call as Nayu helped her sit up. She suddenly felt something thick and warm about her, and looked down to see the scholar’s thick, woolen blanket wrapped around her by Chou’s big, clumsy fingers.

“Are you alright?” Nayu asked her, worry in his voice.

“But... but... that’s my blanket!” The scholar’s voice had returned with a vengeance. “She cannot have my blanket! That blanket was expensive! Now it will have to be cleaned out! I expect you shall cover this, and I’ll instruct my lord that he should deduct this from...”

“Deduct this!” Nayu snarled back, giving the man a rude gesture with his fingers. The scholar gasped in horror at the crude comment Nayu’s hands had made, a noise that made Felonca give a shaky laugh.

“Brrr.... I wanted to do that all day,” she grinned, the chatter of her teeth dying down.

Sadly, the scholar’s disdain for Nayu and Felonca continued. For the next two days, Felonca gritted her teeth and tried to pull a Liu, and completely ignore him. Those 48 hours passed slowly, but finally, the gleaming red walls and towering pagodas and palaces of Mingzhong came into view.

“A bit silent, aren’t we?” Nayu asked a few hours later. He was riding stiffly erect in the saddle, the scholar brooding beside him, watching his form.

“It’s... huge...” Felonca whispered. I could get lost in here and not find my way out for weeks! It’s so big... maybe...

Nah. This city wouldn’t have one!

“Yup... I’ve only been here once, with my dad a long time ago. They say that other than Xianyang, capital of the whole Empire, you can find almost anything here. Or anyone. There’s traders from the Slave Coasts, from Kara Kitai, from Nors to the far north, White Harbor, even foreigners from the Empire Across the Mountains.” Felonca was too busy gawking to notice Nayu’s eyes doing the same at some of the wares laid out by merchants.

Maybe there is one here. Why not? I’m sure many thieves operate in this city! Why would they not organize themselves?

Her reverie was broken by a sharp bark from the scholar. Nayu had evidently slouched a bit while looking at some of the goods.

“Sit up straight in the saddle! You’ve made surprising progress for a peasant ruffian, but we still have a huge amount of work to do! We must get you tailored, and I must train you in the last bits of court ettiquette!”

“There’s more?” Nayu moaned, and the scholar nodded emphatically.

“I’m afraid your friends are a bit of a distraction. We must finish your training in a hurry, young man! You four!” his delicately manicured hands pointed to Felonca, Liu, Li and Chou, “go find something to do! Your friend will be busy the rest of the day. Tommorrow, early, I shall stop by with your garments and your directions for the ceremony!”

“Damn annoying cad,” Chou pronounced a few minutes later after Nayu and the scholar left. “After we’re paid, and this is all over, I hope I run into him on the road, so I can leave a boot...” Chou stopped his grumbling at a sharp look from his father.

“So, young Felonca, where shall you be headed?” the elderly captain asked. His eyes were not filled with sorrow or regret for once. Rather, they had quite a bit of thanks in them.

“I dunno,” she fake shrugged. Sorry Captain, but you can’t come with me where I’m headed. “How about you three?”

“I shall go and see if there is a temple in this city dedicated to the teachings of Master Shenyang,” Liu said serenely, before a slight smirk formed on his lips. “I fear if there is more time to be spent with scholars of Kongshi, I must meditate and gain more patience.”

“I’d say a good inn with a nice bed will do good for my meditation!” Chou laughed. “I haven’t slept on feather down pillows much, and I fear I have been spoiled now!”

“Very well,” Felonca turned her horse around. “I think I’m going to go look for some stuff. Do you have a specific inn in mind where I could meet you?”

Where is it? Felonca’s mind hissed a few hours later. The day was growing long and the sun’s red rays were already signaling late afternoon.

Her questions early on had been innocent enough. Starting conversations with people and asking about life in the city, what it was like... to mentioning she’d heard there was extensive crime. While she’d met some interesting people (and picked up one amorous admirer she had to now avoid), she’d come no closer to her goal.

She’d almost thought about blunting asking, “Where is the Thieve’s Guild?” when an older man had mentioned many thieves tended to congregate outside a certain tanner’s shop. Taking the advice, she now searched with her eyes, and her nose.

Aha! Her nose picked up the smell of boiling leather and pelts, and she followed her nostrils to a rather well kept building, smoke coming from a hole in its roof. When she stepped inside, a bevy of faces turned to look for a moment before returning to whatever business they had been engaged in.

The business looked normal. Two rather burly men were examining one large set of leather barding. A couple others were scattered here and about, while three sat around a man whose dyed hands indicated he was the tanner himself. The proprietor seemed busy weaving a long yarn of a tale... something to do with a brothel in Xianlung... so Felonca thought the next step would be easy.

The stories always say that the Thieve’s Guilds have a secret entrance. It’s plainly obvious that must be the case here. Now, that wall goes to the outside, and these two are shared with the shops next door, so it must be somewhere along this wall...

The wall in question had several large sections of leather of various grades hanging on display. One was marked for potential coats, one for armor, and another for a section of barding. She started by the one marked for a coat.

She gingerly grabbed the leather, and ran her hand along it, mumbling and making “hmm” noises, trying to look at nonchalant as possible. When she thought no one was looking, she lifted the leather off of the wall and ran her hand along the stucco...

And suddenly screeched, as a jolt of electricity shot through her arm.

She pulled her hand back, holding her arm in pain. On her index and middle fingers were two tiny burn marks, the center of a pain that radiated out to her elbow. As she hissed, she cursed herself as every eye in the store turned to her.

Quick! Think of something! Hurry!

“Ah...um...wow... this... this... leather is quite... um... shocking!” Dammit! “Ah... um... the price, that is! My... I’ve never seen leather go for...” She leaned close and finally saw the little piece of paper marking its price... 3 gold taels. Is that cheap, or is that expensive? Ok... think! Think! Um... ok. I’ll go with expensive! I have a 50-50 chance! “3 gold taels! My... um... that’s... quite expensive! Heh!”

Eight pairs of eyes bored in on her... the tanner’s eyes flaming the most in fury.

“Tha’ ain’ expensiv’ neither! ‘Is one ‘ere is fo’ fifteen gold taels!” he snarled in broken Common, his accent speaking of someone from the deserts. “You makin’ fun ‘o my goods?” A big finger, dyed brown, pointed at her accusingly.

“No! No no no no!” Felonca apologized quickly. Quick! Think! Deep trouble! Think! “It...was meant in jest! Yes! It’s quite a good price actually! One of the best I’ve seen!” she rambled quickly. The two large men were already moving, their eyes locked on her.

Oh boy, Felonca thought, starting to tense. I could take on one of them, but those two plus six others? What have you gotten yourself into now, Felonca? The other patrons started to move, and quickly, she found herself surrounded, the angry tanner now in her face.

“You come in ‘ere, you spit on my wares, and no you try to lie ‘bout it?” The finger still pointed at her, like a sword aimed at her throat. The eyes locked with hers, and she noticed uneasily all the scars on the man’s face and neck. Slashes, cuts, poorly healed. He was a brawler. Suddenly, his face turned to the side, and he gave a fearsome smile that included only seven teeth. “I ‘on’t think you was ‘ere for no ‘ides!”

What do I do?! Lie! How?! With what?! Why am I here!? I just want to get out!

“She ain’t here for no hides!” one of the tall burly men snarled as well. “I’ve got my suspicions about you!”

“It’s... it’s been a misunderstanding! Really!” Felonca held her hands up, hoping the gesture would relieve some of the tension. The men instead crowded around her closer, till she could hardly move.

“Hsian, I say if she doesn’t tell us why she’s here, we get to take care of her!” a very small man in front growled. “Can’t have people just wandering in here!” He then turned back towards her, and she could have swore he had coals in his eyes instead of pupils. “Tell us why you’re here!”

“I’m looking for the Thieve’s Guild!” she blurted out in a panic. (DM’s Note: Nayu’s player was going crazy at this point. “No! Don’t tell them that! Why did you tell them that!” :-D )

Nice, Felonca! If this is the wrong place, they now know you’re a thief! Great! Silently she cursed her tongue and her luck, as the eight men all looked at each other in surprise. Finally, the tanner looked back at her and crossed his arms.

“An’ why should we tell you anythin’ ‘bout that?”

“Be...because...” Felonca stammered out, “I’m... I’m a great thief! Renowned throughout the Northern Border! Why... I even stole from Master Hsiu of the Military Academy at Hsiulan, and from numerous prefects and scholars!” she exaggerated.

That got a response! she smiled as she saw their stunned looks. The eight all looked at each other, before the tanner once again looked at her, looking her up and down. He motioned for the others to follow him, and for a second Felonca thought she might be let go... until she noticed that the two biggest men remained blocking her path out of the store.

A series of curses entered her mind as she saw the other six men gather in a circle, hushed by vehement words passing between them. The smallest man, the one that demanded to know why she was here, was making sharp chopping motions with his hand. Felonca gulped.

Finally, the impromptu council broke apart, and all six came back over, clustering around her again.

“’e’ve come t’ a decision!” the tanner crossed his arms. “You’re going wit’ us to see the guildmaster! ‘E’ll know what to do wit’ you! If ‘e like you, you live. ‘E no like you, we kill you.”

Everything involving the Thieve's Guild in this session was run off the cuff. I hadn't expected Felonca's player to want to go to the Guild, and there wasn't any real reason why Mingzhong, being a huge city, wouldn't have one. So I winged it.

Oh, and needless to say, Felonca had some major issues bluffing and being diplomatic all day :)

You Want Me to do WHAT?

Only a few moments later, Felonca found herself blindfolded, and spinning in circles as the eight thieves attempted to mess up her sense of direction. Unfortunately for them, they didn’t count on her hengeyokai nose. Despite the nausea, she knew, roughly, where she was.

At first after the spinning stopped, she smelled the hides and elixirs of the tanner’s, strong and pungent. After moving a bit, she suddenly felt the air cool, and the strong smell of tanner’s oils was replaced by something dank, and wet.

I’m underground, she realized, hands pushing her further and further along this track. Mentally she attempted to keep track of time, and maybe five or six minutes after she got underground, the smell entering her nose changed again. Lacquer, wood, and polish were the smells now in her nostrils.

I’m here... I think...

Suddenly there was light, bright and blinding as her eyes tried to readjust to the removal of the blindfold. She blinked several times, and quickly her view came into focus.

She was now in a rather small, but elegantly apportioned room, with lacquered wood covering the walls. Several chests lay in one corner, while in the middle of the room sat a small, rather ornately carved table. On either side were silk seating pads. One of thieves urged her to sit in the one closest with a sharp shove.

“Gentle, Ling,” the voice belonging to the occupant of the other pad said. The voice was smooth and melodic, and Felonca blinked twice as she realized what it belonged to.

Sitting cross-legged in front of her was a creature that could be described as a distant cousin, in the hengeyokai realm. Leopard hengeyokai were even more rare than their panther cousins, yet possessed many of the same gifts, namely speed and the know-how of when to use it.

“Sir,” Felonca hurriedly bowed. Must be the Guildmaster. Respect! Respect! she thought shakily, remembering the threat of the thieves. She could still smell them behind her.

“”is one ‘ere calls ‘erself Felonca,” the tanner’s voice grumbled. “Caught ‘er snoopin’ about my shop!”

“We thinks she’s a spy!” she heard the halfling hiss. To her relief, however, she saw the guildmaster merely wave a spotted hand, and the ruffians behind her fell silent.

“Madame,” he gave her a brilliant smile with his mouth, even as his eyes showed icy distrust, “what brings you to the Thieve’s Guild of Mingzhong? I suppose that since your eyes have had the honor of seeing my face, you need to make a contribution? Something expensive, I hop?”

“Ah... um... good sir!” Felonca immediately did a kow-tow. I worked on the Prince! “I am but a poor and humble creature from the north! I have been forced to thievery by hunger and strife!” His eyebrow raised slightly, but the look in his eyes did not change. She panicked... and as with everytime she panicked, her mouth opened.

“I was a trainee at the Hsiu-lan Military Academy, but I ran away, and I stole some things from there, and now I’m on the run, and I’ve been a thief ever since, and I came here to get information and join the Mingzhong Guild!” she rocketed through the Common tongue, the words tumbling over each other so fast her own mind had trouble separating them.

“I am a really good thief, I’ve stolen many things from hard places! It’s true!” she rattled onward nervously.

Good one, Felonca! You blurted out your life story so fast that even if these people cared, they wouldn’t be able to understand!

When the outburst ended, and silence once again hung in the room, she looked at his eyes again. For a second those eyes looked deep into her own, as if he was trying to gauge her very soul. Then he blinked, and his eyes and face had a different tone to them. Curiosity, now.

“So you are a runaway, then?” the man said simply, stroking his whiskers as she replied. He cocked his furry head to the side, and scanned her, up and down. “Is that where that dagger came from?” he pointed towards her boot.

“Um... yes,” Felonca stumbled, her own eyes looking at the ornate silver dagger she stole from Master Hsiu’s quarters. He probably wants it, she thought. It is rather pretty, even though it feels funny whenever I hold it. If that’s the price for me to stay alive though...

“It once belonged to the Headmaster of the Academy, Master Hsiu,” she pulled it out. “The day I fled from the Academy, I stole it from his very quarters.” That’s it! Good, Felonca! Let them know you have skills!

“Hmmm.” She had heard that tone before... it wasn’t a grunt of stalling, but one of appraisal. For a second, the guildmaster looked her up and down again, before a smile came to his lips.

“Aha! Splendid!” He started to rise, which Felonca took her cue to mean she should stand up as well. “So you are a very good thief then! I think the guild should need another excellent pickpocket and burglar!” he pronounced, patting her shoulder. “Especially considering you have seen my face, and seen our headquarters, you must join... or we’ll have to silence you permanently.”

That’s.... it? I’m in? she wondered momentarily.

“Um... yes! I would be delighted to join!” she sputtered happily. Another threat of death avoided!

“Excellent!” the guildmaster laughed. “Then, you shall need to be initiated! And I have just the thing for a thief of your skills! Ling, would you be so kind as to bring some steamed wine in, if you please? Ah, yes,” his attention returned to her. “As you may know, the old Prince Hu, Governor of Langya, passed away a few days ago, and his state funeral is tomorrow. Unfortunately, he had an item in his possession we want.”

Ok... this shouldn’t be too bad. Nayu is going to be dressed up as the son of the dead man, and acting as the son of the dead man... surely he can just request that piece of property as the son, and then hand it to me? As Felonca’s mind came to an affirmative conclusion, she gave a grin.

“Ah, so you think such a thing is within your power! Good!” the guildmaster patted her again. “You see... Prince Hu Lun had a ceremonial sword... of solid gold.”

What? “Come again?”

“The sword is solid gold. Useless in combat, for sure... all the gems in the hilt would make it nigh impossible to wield for any length of time... but it is real and belonged to him. We want you to steal that.”

Felonca gave a nod. Surely Nayu can get that for me?

The guildmaster then laughed. “My, aren’t we an overconfident little kitty!” He gave a loud guffaw as Felonca’s eyes narrowed at his remark. “Oh, you have not heard yet where this sword is! It is with the body... and the only time it will be displayed in public is during the funeral service!”

Felonca’s frown turned to a gape.

WHAT?!

“Um... so... I have to steal this sword. And the only time and place you all can tell me where it will be is on the dead man’s chest during the middle of his funeral?

“Um... yes.” The guildmaster’s cycle of faces changed again, now becoming a frown. “For someone who stole from the famous warrior Hsiu who has lived this long, this should be a trifle! Especially,” he leaned close to her, the leer in his eyes now plain, “when that person wishes to join the guild!”

Join or die! Join or die!

The phrase kept ringing in Felonca’s ears long after the blindfolds had been pulled from her eyes and she found herself in the middle of the Mingzhong streets. Imprinted in her mind were the directions the guildmaster had given her... after she stole the sword, meet him at dusk tomorrow outside a butcher’s place, on the eastern edge of town.

How the hell am I supposed to pull this off? her mind whined. I’m IN the damn funeral! How am I supposed to steal it, while sitting on my mat in view of hundreds of people!

I can’t, she realized. For a second, she wondered if Nayu could do anything.

And then she thought of a better plan.

She ran the rest of the way to the inn.

“Much better!” the scholar smiled at Nayu. The previously rare occurrence had happened rather frequently today, as Nayu was finally putting together all the various bows, kow tows, and words of respect and courtesy that had been shoved into his mind.

“Nayu, you look the spitting image of a scholar!” Chou goaded with a grin. “Prim and proper... I think if I poked you I could make you cry!”

Both Nayu and the scholar shot a dirty look at the young soldier, who merely laughed. Before any rejoiners could be launched, the door to their room was almost knocked off its hinges as Felonca burst in.

“Hey Nayu, nice outfit,” she said breathlessly, before turning directly towards the scholar. For a second Nayu expected the long held in outburst to come. He was pleasantly surprised when he didn’t have to rescue the scholar from her, however.

“Hi, sir. I was wondering... how does the ceremony go for the rest of us? How does it work in general?”

The scholar’s face held a look of surprise as well, before breaking into a smile of utter delight. “At last, another seeks civilization as well!” the man practically beamed. “Well, the funeral ceremony will go as thus...”

Nayu had known the scholar only four days... he didn’t even know the man’s proper name... but somehow he suspected that Felonca’s questions had marked one of the happy moments in his life. While she peppered him with questions and inquiries, Nayu continued to practice his voice, his demeanor, a little giddiness and worry in his mind as well.

The EMPRESS DOWAGER is going to be there! The mother of the Son of Heaven himself! I must act proper! Ahem... ok... kow tow, head fully to the ground. What was the speech? ‘Mother of the Jade Throne, Follower of Eternal Heaven, this servant welcomes you in his hour of grief!’

“So... what if someone dies with something valuable on them? What happens to their stuff?”

Nayu’s practice immediately stopped, as alarms went off in his head. The tone of the words coming from Felonca’s mouth was completely naive and innocent, but he knew her far better than that.

Felonca... please... for the love of all that is right in this world... please don’t tell me...

“Oh! His belongings? Well, it depends on the item. Some things go to his heirs, some things will be burned, and some will be buried with him, to assist him as he joins the ranks of Heaven’s legions!”

“So, would his son get his ceremonial sword, for example?” she asked again, and Nayu’s eyes narrowed even more.

No... Felonca. No!

“Well, no. See, that weapon, at least in Hu Lun’s case, has religious significance. He cannot serve in the legions of Heaven if he is not armed, now can he?” the scholar babbled away, oblivious to the undertones now raging in Nayu’s head.

“In proper form, are the belongings going with him placed on his person just before the funeral ceremony, or way way before, such as during embalming?” Her head was cocked slightly to the side, and Nayu suspected that if he didn’t know her, he’d only think she was a curious student as opposed to a wily thief.

“Well, you’re right, its placed on his person just after embalming!”

Here comes the kicker question... Nayu thought with an inward groan.

“Now... where do they keep the body beforehand? I mean, to keep it pure from contaminants within the palace and the like?”

It was Nayu’s turn to gape slightly as the scholar shrugged. The man doesn’t know something!

“I don’t know. Every palace has a different layout, so I can tell you only loosely that it is somewhere in the palace. Do not worry, you do not have to contend with this like the embalmers!” the scholar smiled reassuringly. Thankfully, only Nayu saw the disappointed look in Felonca’s eyes.

“Nayu?” Felonca asked a few minutes after the scholar left, nearly an hour after she arrived.

“I don’t want to know!” her friend snapped back, his hand upraised.

“Nayu, please! I...I have a major problem!”

“A problem for you is automatically a problem for me! No, I don’t want to know! I want no part of this whatsoever!”

Felonca’s mouth opened a bit, before she suddenly clamped it shut. He won’t help me? She could feel her eyes growing a little wet as Nayu started to pace nervously about the room, looking odd in his flowing temporary robes. Suddenly, he spun back around.

“Why? Why Felonca? Why do you want to steal the dead man’s sword?

“I...I have to...otherwise the Thieves’ Guild will kill me,” she sputtered.

It took only a few minutes of explanation. By its end, Chou was threatening to march out and burn down the tanners, with Liu and Captain Li holding him back. Nayu merely stared out the window, towards the darkening sky of evening.

“So... you have to steal this sword during the middle of the funeral?”

“How the hell are we going to do that, Nayu?” Felonca asked, worry and panic in her words. “You heard him! There’s going to be three hundred people there, including all sorts of nobility and their guards! I’m quiet, I’m hard to see sometimes, but dammit, Nayu, I can’t hide in the open in broad daylight!” She started to pace herself. “How can we do this...”

Nayu closed his eyes, his mind cycling slowly through the powers flowing in his blood. Finally, he felt the one he wanted, and let the magic flow from the depths of his soul, down his arm, and out through an outstretched hand. Gently, the tall scholar’s hat that Nayu had been practicing his carriage with rose off of his head. As Felonca gaped, it fluttered through the air, before setting down gently on her head.

“I think that might be the start of something,” Chou said after a moment of gaping as well. “Can you make other things float, Nayu?”

“Yes... and I’m pretty sure I can make a dead body float too,” the sorcerer smiled. Felonca’s eyes lit up, as she immediately understood the idea. Li, however, furrowed his brow in confusion.

“Why would making the corpse float help? Other than attracting attention to it and scaring the willy-nillies into everyone...”

“Bingo,” Nayu replied. “The nobles and scholars will probably run away screaming when the corpse starts floating. Their guards will run with them to protect them from whatever is causing it.” He then looked at Felonca. “That’ll give you a couple minutes to get that sword and run off, before we have to join the fleeing mass.”

“Nayu! That’s crazy enough it might just work!” Felonca jumped happily.

====================================

Yes, that's right, ladies and gentlemen, they're planning on levitating a corpse during the middle of a funeral so they can loot the body when everyone is busy running away.

I gave them extra XP for creativity on that one. :)

Remove ads