The Chronicles of Narcissist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
3) I expected the idiocy about higher education. It seems to be a thing in the GOP. See Wisconsin, Louisiana, and Kansas- and their relevant GOP candidates- right now.

Well, over the past decade and a half or so, how much of the GOP position is apt to seem reasonable to someone who is educated, and capable of critical thinking? And, how many of their base voters don't have higher education, and are generally spiteful of it? Cutting education would seem a good idea for them, would it not?

Never mind that this is undercutting the development of intellectual capital for the future.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Never mind that this is undercutting the development of intellectual capital for the future.
I wonder if it is short-sightedness on their part, or if they're using it as a way to reinforce having a permanent underclass, fit only to work part time jobs in their factories?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder if it is short-sightedness on their part, or if they're using it as a way to reinforce having a permanent underclass, fit only to work part time jobs in their factories?

Given that, long-term, their factories won't be there without the intellectual capital to keep them on the front of the markets? I classify it as shortsightedness.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ah, yes, but they also know they can hire brainpower from other countries to keep those businesses competitive, possibly more cheaply than supporting an education system to grow it at home. Meanwhile that is simultaneously keeping a large pool of undereducated workers fit only for the low-pay jobs...for which there will be a buyer's market for labor, further suppressing wages.

Too Machiavellian?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Too Machiavellian?

No. Just not practical or economical. There are still underdeveloped portions of the world that don't have, say, OSHA regulations, or minimum wages over $5, that they could use for factory jobs, if they wanted. Working to de-educate the USA so it can be a source of cheap labor is kind of tin-foil-hat time. Especially when so much of the manufacturing isn't done here any more anyway.

Ryujin

Legend
No. Just not practical or economical. There are still underdeveloped portions of the world that don't have, say, OSHA regulations, or minimum wages over $5, that they could use for factory jobs, if they wanted. Working to de-educate the USA so it can be a source of cheap labor is kind of tin-foil-hat time. Especially when so much of the manufacturing isn't done here any more anyway.

Not to mention counter productive. You need a place to market what you make and if you reduce your primary market to a bunch of Epsilons, you have very few people to which you can sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads