• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Closed Eye (DM: Halford, Judge: garyh)

KenHood

First Post
Son of a biscuit!

"By the hairy, honking anus of Orcus!" exclaims Palindrome, exiting the library.

He prods the blisters on his skin. Wrinkling his face in distaste as one pops.

"Stupid otherworldy presences with equally stupid alien thoughts!" he mutters, stomping back to Doddoddod's tower. "The spell was SCORCHING burst, you meat-headed forces of supernature. It SCORCHES things, not makes them FLAME. Any FLAME is purely a magical effect for dramatic purposes, only. IDIOTS!"

[sblock=Palindrome bluffs an uncaring and harsh universe]Palindrome bluffs universe. (1d20+7=25)[/sblock]

"How many times do I have tell you lunk-headed deities that direct intervention negates faith with knowledge?! In proving that you exist by striking me down with my own fla-...er...scorching spell, you destroy other's faith in your existence, thereby eliminating the very force by which you exist. To definitely prove that you DO exist, you should have NOT intervened, hence allowing your followers to infer your existence via faith, but since you did so, you obviously do not exist. Therefore, the only appropriate thing to occur is that said unfortunate previous event did not occur, and I--willy-nilly--am able to do as I please."

He glances hopefully towards the heavens, while checking his pockets to ensure the magical item in the cubby near his own items somehow managed to make it into his possession.

Halford

First Post
Alas the magical item is apparently heeding Palindrome's words and proving its existance by not being there - enabling Palindrome to have faith that it is :angel:.

OOC: So the group is planning to meet up now, correct?

KenHood

First Post
Out of Character

OOC: So the group is planning to meet up now, correct?

Yep. Right after Palindrome pushes an old woman into oncoming traffic. ;)

Hey, did the notes tell us anything about activating the weird magic at the bottom of the Screamer? That was the main reason we sent him over to the library.

And...

No flames?! What the heck?! Is it the braille library of the mole men?! This is an agrarian, pre-industrial society. All their doggone light sources involve flame!

STUPID GODS!

And...

The REALLY dissappointing part is that all the events after burning the stuff didn't happen, so I didn't get to use the "Flaccid Fellowship" line in continuity. Man, how the heck can I work that in later?

Last edited:

Halford

First Post
OOC: The library is lit with magical light sources, the librarians, and others are naturally concerned about a repeat performance of the great fire at the Allarian library - many of the tombs and much of the magic here came from there.

And no, nothing about the magic of the screamer that I can recall - or at least that fits here - though I might just be failing to connect the dots. Can you point me to some relevant posts, or sum up what you know for me? As you can imagine I will likely end up making some changes here as all I have is an outline and a few conversations between myself and Graf to go on. :D

The Braille library of the mole men, now there's an adventure idea! :p

KenHood

First Post
Out of Character

Here's two big, honking s-blocks about the 'hidden' text at the end of the Screamer.

[sblock=Arcane analysis]The Screamer is handwritten, and then copied using a simple set of magical inks that normally only last a few days before turning into smear.

This copy was expertly treated, by Marco (you can feel his resonance), to make the inks permanent. Probably within a half a day of having been produced. The smearing has as much to do with the cheap quality of the paper as anything else, the producer is obviously not adept, or not particularly interested in permanence.

You can not help but notice there is an odd resonance down at the bottom of the page. There is a blank spot, an area where nothing appears to be written.

There is a very specific, very subtle resonance there. It's dormant now, but exposure to a certain kind of energy would trigger the effect. Whatever the effect is it's quite weak, certainly not more powerful than a cantrip.

The energy is illusive, quite difficult to detect, even a trained mage could easily overlook it. A poorer quality copy of the screamer, or one made permanent later after production might have lose the energy entirely; as it is its almost gone.

The energy itself is.... you're not sure if you've experienced it before. It's something exotic for sure (nothing prosaic like fire or force).
[/sblock]

[sblock=In the library]Searching for "text oriented magics" is only slightly less constrained that searching for "all magic". In fact the library, is quite naturally oriented toward the intersection of magic and writing.

As a general rule, a signficant proportion of wizards, ritualists, arcanists etc love codes, generating an aura of mystery and hiding things. And they love books. No small percentage of that group also likes to write.

In short order Palindrome has pulled out more than two dozen books related in some way to writing and magic. Common topics include scroll creation, glyphs, proper writing of arcane works, proper writing of academic works regarding the arcane, the proper method of writing academic works critiquing arcane works, and so forth.

[sblock=Specific Books that are more related to the topic at hand]

Haflod's Magical Writing is generally considered to be the most detailed and comprehensive book on the subject of Magic applied to written text. (Which he defines basically as magic acting upon text whose only purpose is the conveyance of information to the reader); he holds it in contrast to magic which accomplishes some sort of effect.
Topics include wizard marks, hidden text, magically active text and so forth.

• Haflod would argue that every writing is hidden by someone to be read again later. The transfer of information is the point of writing.
    • By extension there must be some way to retreive whatever was written.

Vaithe's True Writing: The Beginners Lexicon; Haflod's brilliant and excentric student Vaithe uses the same definition as Haflod but writes it in 4 pages of arcane arcaomathmatics, with a sumptuous 20 page index with charts, a glyph matrix and charts of "lingustic force interactions".
Almost all wizards of any statue have a copy of Vaithe's Writing. You aren't a serious mage if you can't at least posit an arguement for a or against it. (Either is fine, of course. It's ultimate wizardly coffee table book).

The final line of his proof famously "disproves" his master's definition; an event he interprets as proof that all writing neessarily effects reality.
He would use this to ultimately attempt prove aparticularly esoteric beleif about the nature of reality*
[sblock=*]Vaithe felt that everything was information. His fabled master piece, the 2000 page Word as Reality, has been lost but supposedly detailed a beleive that the world was information; and in an appendix, developed a new school of magic.

The two intervening books, both of which extant, but incomplete, copies remain propose a new alphabet (the "true alphabet") comprised of 188 mathematically perfect units and a new sample gramatical structure; which spends 188 pages (exactly) proposing the creation of a mobulos strip made of adamantine.
Supposedly each time it's opened a mobulos strip made of the fabled substance appears; that's been wildly derided though, and proved impossible by two, entirely seperate and highly respected Oian theorists. [/sblock]

• Vaithe beleives that writing itself is an act of mystical importance. Any mystical effect that is overlooked is simply a failure on the part of the observer.
  • Vaithe would argue that the effect of the writing is the point.
    • Somewhat bizarrely he also argued that writings themselves could often want something.
    • (By the point that he was saying this he was a virtual hermit.)

The only book you don't have but wish you did is Yarg's Decrypting the Hidden; which details many different esoteric hidden religious and arcane practices. You recall that one of the appendexies of the book discussed practical methods used to hide writing, with an emphasis on the unusual (and unapproved).

A priest and academic Yarg was notably practical and forthright; providing excellent and very explicit descriptions and intrepretations of a wide variety of events he had experienced during his adventuring carreer. A bit too descriptive apparently, at least one mystery cults has apparently use the book as a blueprint.

There is an explurgated version, of course, but it does't have the index (and is mostly a thinly veiled rewriting discouraging non-orthidox religous practices). The Library of Daunton has an original copy, though it's not normally available to the public.[/sblock]

You can study these books in greater detail; 4 hours lets you make one check. [/sblock]

Yarg's book was supposed to deal with unusual means of hiding writing. That's why I picked it.

Palindrome can now study the book at his leisure, so...

Dunamin

First Post
Finding the time of their agreed upon meeting drawing close, Woe heads back with Tander to the wizard’s tower. In his mind he sifts through the many conversations and rumors the two have gone through this afternoon with assorted Dauntonians, filtering the creative anecdotes from the more genuine-sounding recollections.

Upon their arrival, Woe passes first through the lounge to pick up a grapevine from one of the trays before strolling into their chosen common room. He pulls up a comfy chair, puts up his feet, and waits for the group to be fully assembled while feeding himself grapes in an overtly ostentatious manner.

KenHood

First Post
The front door of the tower slams. Feet stomp down the hallway towards the common room. Through the entry through the common room strides Palindrome, muttering an array of foul words surprising in both their breadth and depth.

The young wizard has no eyebrows. His hair is singed, and soot stains his clothing. He still reeks of smoke and...perhaps...roast beef or pork (though not in a good way).

Palindrome slams the door of the common room. He hurls himself into a chair. Arms crossed. Chin down. He fixes Woe with a murderous glare. "Not one word."

Dunamin

First Post
Woe coughs up a grape and cannot help himself from snickering loudly when he witnesses Palindrome’s new look. The miserably failed attempt at suppressing his enjoyment almost results in the warrior’s untimely demise when a grape gets stuck in his airways a moment later.

After choking a bit, Woe takes another look at the mage with a look of deep seriousness, makes a gesture as if casting a spell with accompanying “poof” sound, and almost falls out of his chair laughing with tears rolling down his cheeks.

“Mmmhehehe, spears don’t backfire as often. You should try it.”

“… Wait, you weren’t attacked, were you? Not that vengeful sorceress crone again who caught you groping her enchanted jewelry?”

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads