The Collected Journals of Artemis Heuw Cannith

sniffles

First Post
27 Dravago
The Mournlands

While I'm not sure I believe that the vampire was really a changeling, he didn't harm Kylara. The marks on her neck were just paint. When she woke up she didn't care much for the skeletons the priest had enslaved and she turned them to dust.

We had trouble finding our way out of the Mournlands. It's hard to tell directions there. Acid rain started falling on us, but the half-ogre found an overhang to shelter us. It had a spring in it that the artificer said was good.

During the night, though, some snakes came out of the pool and attacked the horses. The snakes were hard to see clearly. By the time I got my blades my companions had crushed them. We put some tent canvas over the pool in case any more of them were down there. I guess there was something else in the water, because in the morning it was trying to get out. We packed up and left.

Eventually we found a battlefield with Karrnathi and Brelish standards, but there weren't any corpses on the Brelish side. Turns out it must have been a warforged unit. When we moved on we heard sounds of fighting.

I went out to scout, and saw a group of warforged fighting another one of their kind, much bigger than the rest. When I went back to tell the others I found that the gnome woman had followed me. We had to go back and fetch her. The human wanted to stay and watch, but we decided to skirt around that area.

After a while we saw what looked like a dome in the distance. I went to scout that, too, and the gnome came along. When we saw some men working on the structure she made us invisible so we could get closer. The workmen all turned out to be warforged, and the 'dome' was really an enormous warforged head, even bigger than the one we'd seen earlier.

We decided we ought to get back to Sharn and tell someone about that. The human was excited about it, of course - he never thinks ahead. I wouldn't want to face that thing in battle. It will be big enough to crush a city once it has a body. It may already have one; the human says they're not built in pieces normally.

We kept going, still having trouble telling if we were going the right way - we had to rely on the half-ogre for that. Then the ground opened up under his feet and he fell in! Behind us another pit opened and a huge armored creature crawled out. The half-ogre was courageous in battle against it, but I'll never get to take my revenge on him now. The armored thing slew him.

We all struck it with weapons or spells as hard as we could, and finally one of the changeling's bolts took it out. After that we buried the half-ogre and made our way to the border of the Mournlands. We just have to decide now if we want to go to Rhukaan Draal or head back to Sharn another way.

Quips & Quotes:

The GM drew a sketch on the mat of the overhang where we sheltered from the acid rain. It looked like a butt. :)

GM: "Kylara crushes the snake's head beneath the boot of her mace."

Devo: "I've never seen the inside of a gnome or halfling."
Zora: "Want to?"

sniffles

First Post
A new letter from Caelen (finally)

Sharn
Breland

I'll keep this brief, as it won't be long until I see you. Thanks to Valea's family I have passage home to return Talaenkara to them.

I'd forgotten we were to meet our employer in Rhukaan Draal. On the way back we stopped at the hobgoblin village and confirmed what the gnome had told us was true. There's one quest we won't be making. Too bad. It might have been enjoyable.

We also found our former guide had been slain and his magic wagon destroyed, although we couldn't tell by what. But nothing troubled us on our way to the nearest town.

We ran into a caravan of warforged who told us to watch out for Red Hand orcs. A wise warning. The orcs had taken over the town and were using the excuse of 'taxes' to rob travelers. We decided not to stay. The gnome acquired a token for us that got us past the gate guards and we moved on with only the loss of one wagon.

In Rhukaan Draal we didn't know where to meet our employer, but she sent us a message by owl and we met in a tavern. She didn't offer much as reward for all our efforts. But the human was so interested in impressing her he didn't complain. He forgets we don't all care to join House Cannith.

Our employer knew about the gnome's former associates, but our news about the vampires was a surprise to her. She asked us to travel with her back to Sharn. We took passage on a ship. I paid to bring the magebred horse I'd taken as part of my spoils from the vampire's defeat. I've also now got a belt that gives me great strength. My friends in the Blades have been admiring it. I'll show it to you all when I arrive.

Oh, and we received our reward for the breastplate when we got back to Sharn. I've put some aside with House Kundarak. I'm still staying with the Blades at present.

Caelen

Quips & Quotes:

Hedrin: "You know, concentric circles are not slimming."
patv: "If you get hit often enough they might be."

patv: "Why did we take his purse?"
Zora: "Because it didn't match his outfit!"

Devo: "I'll be working on my wand during the trip."
GM: "So you're spending your whole time aboard ship playing with your wand?"

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
Back to Sharn and Gone Again?

Caerlyn's Blade barracks
The Bazaar
Middle Dura
Sharn
Breland

Lharvion 6

Dearest Mother;

I'm sending a short note to let you know I returned to Sharn. But I've hardly had time to let my friends in the Blades admire my new zaelshin tu. Possibly we'll be leaving the city again.

As soon as I got back to the barracks I had a message from Artemis to meet my adventuring companions at Silveros Tower and be ready to fight. Thaen and Cyrian of the Blades volunteered to come along.

When we got to the tower we found our passage blocked by three big gnolls. I didn't even see any of my other companions. The first gnoll that hit Cyrian wounded him badly. Those gnolls are worthy opponents.

I caught a glimpse of a minotaur down below us. The minotaur must have seen us too, as it charged and leaped up to meet me. Sadly Thaen was closer and it took him out with one blow of its' huge cleaver. It managed to knock me down too.

By the time I regained my feet the fighting had stopped. Some noble had appeared down below with a bunch of warforged bodyguards, and was telling Caibre to get out. You remember Caibre - he's the one who stole the Dhakaani breastplate we recovered. He's all swagger and bluff, out for revenge. He could stand to learn a thing or two about that.

He went off like a dog with his tail between his legs after this nobleman ordered him to leave. He'd lost all of his dog-heads but two, I think, and the minotaur. I noticed a couple of dog-head corpses that looked like they'd been hit with the bull's cleaver.

Grinner came over with his healing wand and took care of Cyrian and I, but there was nothing he could do for Thaen. I stayed with his body until the Blades could come for him. My companions were respectful enough to wait with me. While we waited I learned that an illithid murdered Artemis' father during my absence. Seems the tentacle-face was looking for a black orb that Kylara had. I hope it knows she's left Khorvaire.

Then a messenger came up and gave a scroll to the human. Now we're to meet with that King's Hand, tomorrow at noon. He says to bring all our gear, so we may be leaving Sharn again.

As always, I strive to bring glory to the name of my ancestor. I'll write again as soon as I can.

Caelen

Quips & Quotes:
[sblock]
Hedrin: "They're magebred."
Zora: "Mmmm... mage bread."

Devo: "Hutch has brawny arms. Or bronzy arms. I don't remember."

Devo: "Hutch pulls a potion and applies it to himself."
GM: "What's that chest doing?
patv: "He's oiling his chest."

patv: "Are we still connected by the message spell?"
Zora: "Yes, but Dalia has to initiate contact."
patv: "Doesn't stop me from trying. Can you hear me? Can you hear me now?"

Zora: "I bluff the gnolls: 'No, I'm a commoner! I only get 1 action per round!'"
[/sblock]

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
The Collected Journals of Artemis Heuw, excerpt 9

(Devo has limited access to this site, so I'm going to get this story hour updated by posting his character journal entries for him) sniffles

"...round and round, back and forth, from the shelves storing reagents back to the work table and over to the chest holding the completed vials. They were tireless, skilled, and precise -- and they were doing my bidding. Of course, I couldn't see them: they are called Unseen Crafters for a reason. But for the next week, they would work here continuing their craft, filling empty vials with newly created alchemist's fire. I really wanted to get in there and get my blue, crushed velvet cap from the peg above the workstation, but what if I bumped into one of the crafters? Would it stop working? Would it be sent off it's programmed course and run amok in my laboratory? I decided not to risk it, and left my cap where it was. Oh, well. With the money I made from their work, I could afford that purple hat I saw the other day...."

. -- An Excerpt From the Crafting Log of Artemis Heuw, Volume 4

"...checked my pockets, and found the note I had hidden there earlier [ref: PJ-V4-49]. Thinking on it's contents warmed me, but I knew better than to pull it out to read it again, despite so desperately wanting to do so. If I did, I knew, my friends would only be curious, and then they would mock me. I should have destroyed the letter earlier just so no one else knew of it. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. "Matters of the human heart," and all that. I wonder if anyone else ever felt this way?

At least I had something to draw my attention. My first trip out into the "wilds' of Khorvaire, and it was almost boring. Oh, sure, a lot of things could have happened to us. We could have run into trouble when we disguised ourselves and fled Sharn. We could have run into someone interesting while waiting for the Lightning Rail. We could have had some adventure while traveling the rails. We could have run into problems in Therron's Hold or been ambushed when we pushed -- by ourselves and against the advice of the locals -- through mountain pass and into Darguun. Something could have even happened to us while we traveled to Rhuukan Dral.

But, no. This whole thing has been boring, and completely non-profitable. Of course, it's the end of the journey that holds my interest. Alas, we are not quite there yet.

Rhuukan Draal is a sprawling, squalid town that probably used to be something. Now it's just sprawling and squalid. Home to thousands of orcs, goblins, hobgoblins and worse, the smell is unbelievable. Filthy creatures, all of them. We let GR lead the way through the largest market in the city, looking for our House Cannith contact. Round and round we went, back and forth, as GR followed one lead after another. Eventually, we were given the name of a tavern where he did business. It was such an unremarkable place, I have already forgotten what it was called.

IR seemed pleased with our progress to date, as we were at least a week ahead of our competition. I was pleased that we'd soon be getting out of here. Nothing in the market seemed worth what these people were asking.

As is the way of these things, we found our man at the dimmest table in the farthest corner of the tavern. Well, I found him. No one else in this group seems capable of picking out a House Cannith contact, despite the fact that they travel with one. Instead, everyone insisted we stand by the front door like a bunch of freshmen at MU while GR went in and traded good silver to the barkeep for information.

A moment later, we were sitting around a table discussing a trip to Whitehearth. Our man had just mentioned a land wagon, which sounded intriguing, when the front door was thrown open and a pack of bugbears came in looking for blood. Our contact's blood. He was there just long enough for the bugbears to see him -- and come to the conclusion that we were with him -- when he simply disappeared. The bugbears charged.

CA sprang forward immediately and interposed himself between them and us. GR jumped up and back, his crossbow coming up and loading before I could even blink. IR was chanting something intrinsically magical -- it sounded like a summoning. I'm not sure where XL was, but as the first bugbear charged at the table, I realized I had other things to consider. Like what I was going to do to get involved.

My first priority, naturally, was protecting HU. I ordered him back and rose from the table, my cane raised dangerously. I threw a quick slaying infusion into it (PJ-V1-32) and took a swing at the walking mound of fur and stench attacking CA. Thump! That hurt him!

GR was loosing bolts like a madman, climbing up on tables and jumping here and there trying to get in a good shot. XL was in the thick of things (naturally), and IR was fighting ferociously alongside her conjured dead/undead/not-really-undead-dead companion. (I never will understand why it's not really an undead, despite the obvious fact that it's an animated skeleton.)

There were more of them than there were of us, though, so we decided to make our move towards the side door. We did a good job sticking together, the whole group turning like a quarter-gear, pivoting on CA's position. XL was the first out the door, and we pushed our way out one by one until CA came out, slamming the door behind him. We could hear the howls and whimpers of our attackers, but they had been dealt too heavy a blow to give chase immediately. They were regrouping, and probably waiting for reinforcements.

Our own reinforcement came in the form of our House Cannith contact, who materialized like magic from the shadows of a nearby alley. He urged us towards haste. We strategically relocated ourselves a few blocks over, where, hidden below a concealing tarp, we had our first look at the land wagon. Huh.

It was a wagon -- kind of big, kind of clunky, and pretty drab. Nothing exciting about it at all. When our contact touched his dragonmark to a bluish stain near the driver seat, though, it came to life. Well, more specifically, it drifted forward about a foot on it's own accord. Our man soon had it under control. It still didn't look like much. When I build my first sky wagon, it's going to be something to behold! Like uncle Wiliik's ship (PJ-V1-16).

After a quick discussion, we decided to hold for an hour before leaving town. We wanted to get back to our hotel to gather the last of our gear and sell our horses off. Boy did we get shafted on that deal.

Regardless, we were back at the land wagon and under way in no time. It moved fast! Once we got into open country, the landscape just flew by. XL looked a little green, but I had every confidence in the wagon. The driver was another story.

Our trip up to Rose Quarry was something of a journey. We weren't supposed to have any encounters with the local orc or goblinoid tribes, but we did. IR managed to talk them into letting us go, but we had to promise come back on our return trip to help them out. Something about robbing a priceless heirloom from some dead hobgoblin, or something. I didn't really catch all of it.

It was night when we got to Rose Quarry, and some days after leaving Rhuukan Draal. We were here to find a map room that would show us where Whitehearth lay concealed in the Mournlands. According to our guide, the Quarry had been hidden by the mist surrounding the Mournlands until just about a month ago. We were expecting something odd, but weren't prepared for what we saw.

All of Rose Quarry is up on a small plateau which was completely covered in ice. In order to see the ice from where we stood, it must have been a foot or more thick. The grey wall of the Mournlands stood silently behind the plateau; not close enough to be worrisome (barely), but omnipresent enough to cause concern.

Some activity on the southern side of the plateau caught my attention -- lights and vague hints of movement. Our approach stratagem was obvious. Which means I had to come up with it, of course.

We left our guide behind and opted for a stealthy approach. Swinging around to the north, we came up onto the plateau from the darkest side possible. Our first revelation came to us as we approached. The plateau was no cooler than the surrounding environs, and we quickly found out why. It wasn't covered in ice, it was covered in glass! Our second revelation came moments later when IR gave out a gasp, and we looked closer at the glass. Buried in the glass were dwarven workers, trapped for all eternity. They looked as though they had been caught off guard by the appearance of the glass, which appeared to flow out from some place in the center of town. Not the kind of end I'd want.

The plateau was slick, so we proceeded cautiously. From this side, the quarry was laid out like a small town, a couple obvious roads or broad pathways separating closely placed buildings. Most of the buildings were in ruin, as though a great earthquake had struck, but a few still seemed sound. A church was nearby, it's tiny graveyard on one side fenced in by iron and glass. Just across the street was an administrative building, still whole, and that's where we headed. We were sneaking through a darkened orchard when we discovered we weren't alone.

A dwarf and a human -- zombies by the look of them -- moved quickly towards us. They were covered in thick glass, though, which susurrated hypnotically when they shambled. We laid into them, as best we could, in the hopes of destroying them before we made too much noise. Their glass coating gave them a great deal of protection from our blades, but my club (infused against the undead <PJ-V1-32>) was making short work of them. Once we cracked the glass away, GR and CA had a much easier time slicing them up. The fight was over quickly, but was it quick enough? We froze and looked around but no one seemed to notice us. Not wanting to waste time, we moved forward.

We decided to give the graveyard a wide berth, as it looked like someone -- or some thing -- was in the small graveyard nearby digging up corpses. Sneaking up to the building, we heard human voices inside. They were directing more of the undead in what sounded like a digging project. The sound of picks shattering glass and shovels scraping it into wheelbarrows escaped from the building. I would have used the term "filled the night", but HU chose that moment to prove that there was room for more noise in the evening as he slipped on the glass (he wasn't built to traverse such surfaces) with a resounding THUD! A sharply hissed command and the sound of weapons being drawn was the last thing we heard from inside the building. Knowing the gig was up, we sprang into action.

CA and GR bound into the building and found themselves face-to-face with two humans and two of the glass-covered undead. Noises from behind us warned that other undead had heard us and were moving in. While GR and CA took on the humans, IR and I took out the undead. They didn't stand a chance.

Which is not to say that they didn't fight back. The battle was ferocious, going back and forth as each of us sought an advantage. Eventually, the warrior who stood against us fell (he had a chain mail shirt on, with a tabard bearing a green hand), then a moment later, the woman he was working with. More undead had joined the fray outside, and it took us an extra moment to silence them, but only a moment. We stood alone, most of us rather battered, but all of us better off than our opponents.

We knew that time was precious. The south end of the plateau held a large camp full of people, and if they had heard our fight, they would soon come calling. We quickly surveyed the building, and found a large map room that our enemies had been trying to clear. And not just any old map, but a room-sized encryption depicting Cyre and all of it's Cannith holdings. We had one tiny clue -- from the journal of Geldam Bonal -- to help us unravel this mystery, and no time to waste! Finally! A true challenge for my magnificent intellect!

Alas, the puzzle was not difficult in the least. Of course, I had to explain it to GR and XL at least four times, but they just never really grasped the concept. I guess you have to be House Cannith to understand. And I'm not *really* in House Cannith yet, but I will be some day. Probably as soon as we report our findings from Whitehearth!

We were out of time. A voice outside shouted "Intruders!", and we knew the gig was up. Rather than trying to prove to my companions, yet again, that I had worked out the Cannith encryption, I simply showed them which mark on our own map represented Whitehearth, and we took off into the night. CA is the only one who saw our opponent: a red-eyed vampire who alternated between yelling for his guards, and shouting dire predictions about our fate. He had conjured up (or turned into) an obscuring cloud. Obviously, his intention was to slow us down until his guards could come along. We didn't look for a fight, we just took off into the night. At first, everyone was lost but me, but then we all came together and fled the plateau. The guards must have been farther off than we thought, though, because we weren't pursued. We made our way back to the land wagon and took off at top speed!"

. -- An excerpt from the Personal Journal of Artemis Heuw, Volume 4

"Skywagon, sky blue, with night blue underside embedded with diamonds. With living flames on the sides."
"Wand of Detect Magic !!!"
"A fine walking cane that can turn into a real coatl -- or maybe just a snake; that's non-venemous; and has to be thrown to operate"
"Floating tower"
"A tear-resistant cloak"
"A wand or rod of some sort that would turn the food from those inns that the DG likes into something palatable."

. -- An excerpt from the List of Wonders That I Will Create Some Day, by Artemis Heuw, 998YK

sniffles

First Post
The Collected Journals of Artemis Heuw, excerpt 10

"... shaded it and drew sparks around it for dramatic effect. I sat back and contemplated the blueprint for a moment, then closed my eyes and tried to visualize the flow of quantum magics through the design and how the interaction of right- and left-handed eldritch ventrices would interact. I woke up with the sun streaming through the window and a bowl of lukewarm oatmeal on the table beside me. I really need to stop working so late. I reviewed my design, stained somehow by a short flow of viscous fluid that had materialized near where my head had been resting, and realized I had been blueprinting in my sleep again. Evidently I had been dreaming of magically animated children's toys in the shape of an upright bear, powered by syberis dragonshards and capable of emitting scathing beams of light from their eyes. The wierd part, though, is that the design looked very much like the one I had used when I made Stark just a month earlier...."

. -- An excerpt from the Craft Journal of Artemis Heuw, Volume 5

"...which is all I want to say here about going through the wall of mist surrounding the Mournlands. I have written copious notes about the event, however [ref: PJ-CM-1]. Enough that as soon as I can find them, I plan on expanding upon them and recording the whole experience and my perceptions on the event into a book. Perhaps I shall call it "Artificers in the Mist"....

The Mournlands were, as all accounts had lead us to believe, gloomy. The landscape seemed drained of color. I could not tell if the sky was overcast, or simply the dead gray of a sky that must naturally associate itself with a dead-gray land. It was as if we stood in the center of a great wound; we were mites standing on the dead flesh of the conjoined dragons Eberron, Syberis, and Khyber.

On the plus side, I didn't have to go back into the mist to rescue anyone: the whole group was just a short distance away in a gloomy looking camp. Even HU was there waiting for me. I waved and went over to join them. They acted as though they were grateful to see me come out of the mist alive. I knew as well as they did, though, that I was the only one adequately trained to study and experience the mist without getting lost. That is why I was the last one through. Where they bumbled, I explored.

We had a good idea of where Whitehearth was, but only a vague idea of where we were. Finding the lost Cannith site would be an true expedition. We weren't as well equipped for this mission as I would have hoped, though. For all the research IR had done on the Mournlands [ref: PJ-V4-95], we didn't have the time to stock up on the necessary provisions before we had to leave Sharn. I knew healing would be a problem here, but thanks to IR's discussions on the matter, I had a few tricks up my sleeve that I thought would serve us well. And eventually, they did. That is jumping ahead in the tale, though.

We travelled east -- as best we could reckon -- seeking Whitehearth. The stasis-dead were all around us at times. According to my studies, Cyre was the site of may decisive battles towards the end of the War. Travelling through one such battlefield, we were all of us surprised when a mountain of corpses rose towards the sky, on the back of some monstrous, hideous insect or crustacean. It moved quickly towards CA and grabbed him in one huge pincer. CA, to his credit, already had his sword out and, though pinned, continued to hack at the beast as best he could. The rest of us jumped into action, too: GR with his crossbow, IR with her summoning, and XL with his stick-spear. I directed HU to put some of the alchemist fire to use against the creature, and set about infusing myself with just the right combination of magics to destroy the creature, save CA, and not get myself killed in the process. The last of my enchantments complete, I charged forward. The creature perished.

We recovered CA, who was badly wounded but not mortally so. We started contemplating ways to restore his health when he started climbing up on top of the beast and pried a long pole with banner off if it's crusty hide. He stood there for a moment, holding the banner aloft and looking at his find. It struck me as very funny for a moment. Bodies lay impaled on the creature next to CA; dead yet looking nearly alive. Some almost seemed to be reaching for CA and some for the banner. It looked like a poorly colored picture plate you might associate with an adventerous epic tale: a warlord holding his banner aloft while his enemies lie dead and dying around him. I had to cough to cover up my giggle, but I think no one noticed.

CA came down from the carcass with his two finds. Along with the banner -- belonging to some dead elven guy, to hear CA speak on it -- he carried a twin-bladed sabre. It looked like a terribly unwieldy weapon. Five feet long, if an inch, with a scimitar-like blade jutting out in either direction. How would one swing that without gutting themselves, or cutting off their own foot? CA seemed excited at the find, though. He did like living dangerously, I guess.

We did what we could for our wounds and continued on. The whole of the land was creepy and quite unsettling. HU and XL kept jumping at shadows, and they were starting to make me a bit anxious. For almost two days we travelled like that, encountering a number of plague dogs (undead), a rather aggressive vulture (also undead) and a very spooky ghost who wanted GR's soul, or something equally trivial. (The ghost was undead, naturally -- well, not *naturally*, but, you know -- I didn't think it worth mentioning the obvous, though.) We overcame all obstacles.

Through grit and determination we made our way to where our map said Whitehearth would be located. My Cannith-honed senses spotted the place from -- literally -- a mile away, though no one else remarked on it. As we approached, GR suggested we spread out a bit to search for the entrance. I simply rolled my eyes and walked right up to the opening in the hillside. To the untrained eye, it looked like nothing more than an abandoned mine shaft. I could read the signs, however. One of those signs was a placard hanging on the entrance's cross-beam that translated to "Whitehearth".

That undead vulture attacked us again, and we ran into the cave for protection. There was plenty of room for us inside: the tunnel almost immediately ballooned out into a large staging area. The cave was empty except for a single tunnel that exited from the far end. That tunnel branched almost immediately into three passages, each ascending or descending at different angles. I turned to GR and bet him 10 silver that the passage to Whitehearth would be in the lowest chamber, but he just grunted, pointing off in the direction of the one tunnel that sloped gently upwards. I'm not sure if that was acceptance of the wager or not.

We went up, and just around the bend found an adamantine hatch in the ground. My Cannith senses were tingling. "This is a false hatch," I told him. Still, he wanted to see it open so I obliged him. The hatch was cunningly trapped, and locked to boot. I was having a heck of a time getting around both before they would reset themselves. CA and XL came while I was working and told us that there was a similar hatch down both of the other corridors. Since the one I was working on was a fake anyway, I gave up on this hatch to see the other two. I pointed out to GR which hatch would lead down to Whitehearth (the one in the lowest room), then set about openning up the third hatch just to prove my point. I opened this one without much difficulty. Beneath the hatchway was bare stone. A fake.

And this is where I learned a very valuable lesson. I was focused on overcoming the hatch -- so much so, in fact, that I failed to notice that some alien force had been attacking the rear of our party. I allowed myself to become distracted and without my supervision, the DC had fallen in trouble again!

I raced out to discover a fight in the outer cave. The vampire we had run from at Rose Quarry had caught up to us -- that undead vulture was his familiar and he had been tracking us for days. He (the vampire, not the vulture) held IR casually in the crook of one arm, while his green claw minions and their undead cohorts were attacking my friends. A woman elfin sorceress hit GR repeatedly with magic missiles, while her goons had GR, CA and XL choked up in the bottleneck of the back tunnel. A couple of our attackers were down, but CA and GR both looked pretty bad.

I had just finished up some of my best infusions [ref: CJ-V3-16, CJ-V3-12] when GR called for surrender. I was farther back in the tunnel, so I couldn't see what was happening, but we must have been winning! Alas, I should have known that without my involvement, we were not. XL immediately agreed to a surrender, and even CA seemed willing to stop fighting. We had given up.

Which is not to say that we were cowards. The vampire had IR at his mercy, and threatened to kill her if we did not surrender. GR and XL were simply protecting her life. The vampire told us that in order to save IR's life, we must venture into Whitehearth and retrieve for them the very schema that we had come to recover. I was outraged! I moved forward to launch my own attack and win back IR, but GR was negotiating, stalling for time. I'm not sure what he was stalling for; it's not like we could heal up to renew the attack.

I joined the diplomatic mission at that point, and tried to negotiate IR coming down into Whitehearth with us. There was but one exit, and vampire could guard that, couldn't he? But he wasn't falling for it. Our fate was sealed. We would have to go down into Whitehearth, overcome it's defenses (along with whatever curses the Mournland had affected within it's locked halls), recover the schema, and trade it for IR's life.

Ah, well. That's what we came here to do, anyway. Now it was more interesting!

We retreated into the tunnel again, while the vampire backed his group out, taking their dead. They set a guard outside of the main cave.

Now, with a purpose, I set about opening the main hatch down into Whitehearth. HU helped. Before long, it was open.

Below the hatch was a shaft going down. A ladder was built into the wall on one side. I dropped a sunrod (one of my own creations, I might add [ref: CJ-V3-97]) into the shaft, but it simply passed through a curtain of darkness and was lost. I couldn't even hear it clang against the ground below. This would be exciting!

GR asked who should go first, but I didn't really think that a valid question. I descended into the darkness, followed closely by HU. Despite his large chest, those arms make him an excelent climber!

The darkness extended for a mere ten rungs of the ladder and then ended. The shaft continued on for another fifteen feet or so. My highly trained senses immediately grasped the significance of the darkness: it was a magical globe surrounding Whitehearth, an impeneterable field that would prevent any sort of detection from piercing it's protective shell. Just the sort of construction I would have placed around a secret research facility. There was a very tiny curvature visible to the darkness -- so small that I doubt anyone as simple as those I travel with could have noticed it, or garnered the it's significance. My trained eye measured the curvature and I did some quick calculations. If this was a spherical effect, and I was on the inside of the sphere, then the whole complex would have to fit within an area no two points of which were farther than two hundred feet apart. Ha! I wasn't thirteenth in my mathematics class for nothing!

The shaft came down on the side of a spherical, metallic room, the ladder tangential with the west pole of the room. (To fully grasp that concept, one must accept that a spherical object has an upper pole -- which is the point on the sphere that represnts it's upper-most point), a lower pole, and cardinal north, south, east, and west poles. One could conjecture, of course, that there is also a north-north-northeast pole, but that would be silly.)

Coming down into the room was relatively easy, but it was something of a balancing act since there were no ladder or stairs to help one transition from the vertical to the horizontal. HU had an easier time of it than I did. The inner surface was composed of high-friction metal plates that were a bit rough on the hands an knees. Across the room and about a quarter of the way up the sphere a metal cylinder capped with a mithral plate jutted out into the room. It was the only point of interest so I went to investigate. Along the way I snatched up my sunrod, which had rolled to the lowest point of the sphere. The other memebers of the DC streamed into the room.

The cylinder was plain metal with an octagonal mithral plate on it's top. Evenly spaced along each side of the plate were holes which I estimated to be about an inch-and-a-half deep and about an inch in diameter. A colored ring surrounded each. Most of the rings were blue, but two were green and two were brown. Another hole in the center of the plate (with a blue ring) made for nine openings in total.

There were no operating instructions and we had nothing that resembled a matching key, so we were stuck. We searched over the room again, and the shaft leading out, but found no other exits. Once again, it would came down to my rather impressive skills as an artificer to save us. I told the others to get comfortable, and began one of my more time-consuming infusions [ref: CJ-V1-8].

An hour later, I had identified the purpose and use of the pedestal. It was operated by color-coded dragonshard keys. When the properly coded key was inserted into one of the keyholes and turned one quarter turn to the right, the chamber we were in would reposition itself to the designated doorway and present an egress. Now all we needed was a key.

We racked our brains, trying to think of any time when we may have had one of these keys, or had the opportunity to acquire one. No one could come up with anything. I was perusing the journal of BG when an idea struck me. I turned to GR, a dragonmarked member of House Tharashk, and asked him, "Can't you find a key for us?"

The look of slow-forming recollection on GR's face would have been amusing to watch, if I hadn't been rolling my eyes in exaspiration. Honestly, the level of nescience that I must put up with in this group is astounding at times. Even HU seemed amused. GR set about the task of locating a key-like object immediately.

A few minutes later, GR had determined that there were a number of such keys, all within a couple hundred feet, and all quite out of reach. He climbed out into the outer tunnels to see if he could sense anything, but found nothing. The anti-divination globe was working fine, it seemed.

We worked for a few minutes more, trying to come up with some way to fetch a key, but found nothing. With a sigh, I pulled out the summoning scroll we found some time back [ref: PJ-V3-68]. I told the rest of the DC what I was about to do, then started reading the scroll.

The being to answer my Calling was tall, gaunt, and alien. IR would have known what it was were she here, but she wasn't. I had to deal with him on my own. The creature would not "steal" any of the keys for us, but he would take us to their location. We negotiated a price.

We were teleported to a dining hall, still inhabited by House Cannith personnel. They lay scattered about the place, dead where they had collapsed on the Day of Mourning. It was sad. GR immediately pulled the boots off of a nearby body and compared them to the size of his own feet. He put the boots on.

Amongst their personal possessions we found a number of keys: dragonshards inserted into a color-coded ceramic handle. Most were blue, but we found a red key as well. A quick search of the adjoining kitchen failed to turn up anything interesting. The food still looked good, but I didn't trust it. Finely honed senses, and all that.

The only exit was a long hallway that ended in a vault-like door. I used one of the blue keys we had found and a moment later the door swung open. We were looking upon a spherical room with a metal column jutting up from the lowest point on the floor. There were signs in the room that indicated that this was the very same chamber we'd spent so long in.

I hypothesized to HU (the only one in the DC I can hold a rational discourse with) the possibility of localized gravitational control, emenating from this central, spherical chamber. He just tok'd at me, and I had to agree. A simpler explanation was more likely.

We gathered in the sphere and tried one of the keys. Immediately, the door leading to the dining hall snapped shut, disappearing from view, and the whole room spun. I had, naturally, already come to the conclusion that this would happen and was braced for it. HU and a few of the others were a bit surprised by our sudden movement. I helped them up as a new door opened in the wall.

Over the next few hours, we explored the place fully. There were a few dead Cannith researchers here and there, but not many. Most of them had been in the dining hall. We encountered two very interesting spell effects -- living spell effects. They were a bit tiresome to deal with, but, unfortunately, they continued to attack us, so had to be destroyed. A pity -- I kind of liked them.

We also found a couple of intelligent, living creatures. The first was a large she-wolf named Rorsa. She looked as though she had been experimented upon and might have been part construct. She had kin somewhere here in Whitehearth, and asked our assistance in rescuing them from a "stone wolf'". In exchange for our help, she offered a magical necklace that she wore. There were living creatures in danger -- of course we agreed to help.

It took us some while to find the stone wolf. And when we did find it, it was a surprise to everyone involved. I noticed it first, naturally, and repositioned myself to a more tactically sound location. GR wasn't nearly as quick, and got pounced.

The stone wolf was, sort of like RO, a wolf that had been experimented upon. He could speak, which was a surprise, and had great slabs of black marble grafted onto his flesh. I surmised that he, too, was part construct.

Whatever he was, he was a killer. The fight was quick and dangerous -- just the way I like them. XL had the idea of slipping past the stone wolf and opening the cages in the room beyond. We could see and hear wolves in those cages, but when they had an opportunity for freedom they hid until the Stone Wolf was defeated.

And before long, defeated he was . He crashed to the ground with a mighty crash, almost pinning CA. We had been hard set upon this day, and could go no further. We needed rest. Before we did so, however, we communicated to the wolves that RO had sent us. They allowed us to escort them back to RO and it was a happy reunion. We chose our resting place and camped out for half a day. One of my most basic infusions [ref: CJ-V1-21] allowed me to mold the very structure of magic to my will and create a trans-dimensional space that we could climb up into. That little rope trick was the only space we could use to heal ourselves here in the Mournlands.

After resting, we continued exploring. One of my favorite rooms that we discovered was the linen closet. I know that sounds strange, but it's true. A number of long-lived invisible servants were in the room, taking the linen, cleaning it, drying it, folding it up, and putting it back in it's place. It was a simple, elegant process that repeated again and again. That's the kind of magic I will have in my tower some day!

Late in our stay at Whitehearth we found the administrator's office, which had a wall that showed the foundry room. We hadn't found the foundry yet, so this was pretty exciting. According to what we could see, though, the foundry was a mess. Appearantly, the fire elementals bound to the glass kiln had escaped. Virtually everything in the room was burnt and useless. Back by a molten glass pool, however, I spotted the treasure that we sought. In a glass or crystal chest were a few red vials, a large metal plate, and the schema we had come to find. We were one step closer! Now all we had to do was find the room shown to us on the wall, defeat the fire elementals guarding it, and claim our prize.

One step at a time, though. We thought by this point that we had scoured the entire complex, but still had no idea where the kiln room was. Guess who worked it out? That's right. Me. There was a second "switching chamber" that we had found -- similar to the spherical room we first discovered, but the control panel was just a little different. In a flash of pure genius, I put two of the keys in the panel and operated them simultaneously. The way to the kiln room opened up to us.

From where we stood, we could see the heavy vault door that led into the foundry. GR and CA were all set to go charging in, but I knew better. A whole slew of protective, offensive, and utilitarian infusions later, and we were standing in front of the vault going over our battle plans one last time. I opened the vault door and CA, guarded against fire, went in first. Two large elementals charged immediately. GR counter-charged, his weapon powered-up with an elemental-destroying infusion. XL slipped around the creatures and made for the chest.

A moment later, as CA was getting pounded and surrounded, I used my infused cane [ref: CJ-V3-7] to prod one of the elementals away. He fled under my command. CA finished up the elemental that had him still pinned in place while GR charged the retreating elemental and destroyed that one, too. The battle was over disappointingly quickly. And after all that preparation, too!

After taking stock of our condition, we went about searching the room. Virtually anything that could have been of use had been destroyed by fire and the once-free elementals. The crystal chest, however, was unharmed. Therein lay our bounty.

My trained eye picked out the two potions of fire restistance immediately. There was also a mithral plate, about two feet across, that had patterns all over like a schema. Five ports on the plate were designed to hold actual schemas, however. One matched the adamantine schema we had recovered for Lady d'Vown over a month ago [ref: PJ-V1-103]. Another was for the diamond-shaped schema that we had been sent to Whitehearth to recover.

When I pulled that schema out of the chest, I felt suddenly elated. There was not one, but two diamond-shaped schemas. They were exactly alike! I practice-fitted each into the plate, and they fit like a charm. I was careful to minimize the time I had the pieces conjoined, however, so as to avoid any unwarranted magical effects. I handed one of the schemas to HU and, at someone's suggestion, gave the other to GR. You guessed it. It as GR's suggestion. I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me.

The fight with the elementals had not been dangerous to us, but it had exhausted most of my resources. We decided to rest once more before going back to negotiate with the vampire for IR's release.

At some point during our down time GR snuck out of the cave. Reportedly, he wanted to "test the keys on the hatches" in the outer cavern. He came back claiming to have overheard that the guards in the cavern were given a shoot-on-sight order. I suspected that GR might have gone to negotiate on his own, but no matter. One way or another, there would be no further negotiating with IR's captor. Now it was a fight!

The roof of the kiln room was a large hinged dome. After we felt properly rested, we worked out how to escape Whitehearth through the dome and snuck outside. We were on top of a hill that overlooked the vampire's camp. A couple hundred yards from where we stood, a single large pavilion was surrounded by six lesser tents. Around this setup was a ring of bonfires, and even from this distance we could make out guards encircling the camp. Dotting the ground between our location and the encampment were scattered undead. On watch, no doubt.

I came up with a plan. Infusing a quick spell into my cane, I summoned an illusion that would conceal all of us from the undead. It would hold until one of us attacked or actually touched one of the creatures. I set CA the task of killing the humans in the camp, infusing his newly acquired blade with a bane enchantment to help him out. Somewhere along the line, GR had found an enchanted mace, so I gave him the task of destroying any of the skeletons defending the camp. I re-iterated to both of them that as soon as either attacked, our invisibility would disappear. (An excellent pun, and no one caught the humor in it. I travel with boors.)

XL had a very special task. One admirably suited to his camoflauging nature. He was to infiltrate the camp in the confusion of the attack, find IR, and bring her out. His was the most challenging role, but I thought him up to the task.

Naturally I had a part to play, too. Someone had to stay in the back and supervise the entire affair. Gods only know the kind of mess we would be in if our overall strategy was left up to anyone else. HU would stay with me, to defend me and help out as needed. In case of emergency, I had a couple of surprises ready for anyone foolish enough to get close to me.

A dried-out river bed started at the foot of our hill and ran within ten paces of the enemy's encampment. We used this to approach the camp, walking right under the noses (?) of half a dozen skeletal guards. We hit a snag, literally, about fifty feet shy of our goal, however. A tangle of dead brush and logs had jammed the river when water still flowed, and blocked our way now. We would have to exit the ravine.

Rather than exiting on the encampment side of the ravine -- we would have surely been spotted by the human guards standing watch nearby -- we exitted on the far side and attempted to sneak around. CA ran swiftly and silently forward, then GR went. I brought up the rear, mimickig CA. I should have realized, though, it wasn't the man I needed to mimick, it was the boots I had created for him [ref: CJ-V3-76]. I don't think it was me the guards heard. I'm sure it was HU.

Regardless, the alarm was raised. CA sprinted towards a makeshift bridge some distance away, while GR clambered noisily down into the ravine, just on the other side of the jam. That's when we learned that the log jam was not unoccupied. Some living-dead plant-like creature-sentience sprang to life, lashing out at GR with a large prickly-looking vine. It was big enough to snare a horse!

GR was just a bit too quick for it, though, and scrambled away. He made it across the ravine and up the other side, battling the vine and it's life-like roots. I wasn't close enough to be in any danger from the vine, but the far-flung root system of this crazy plant-creature was another matter. It animated and sprang up from the dry, cracked earth to grab anything it could. I have always been an excellent dancer -- very light on my feet -- so I managed to dodge the roots for quite a long time. HU, on the other hand, was constantly forced to take the time and effort to tear himself away from where he became rooted down.

Meanwhile, the fight was progressing. Displaying his dexterous elven heritage, CA had run across the rickety bridge and launched himself over some very difficult terrain. He landed gracefully, planting one end of his twin-bladed scimitar in the now corpsified guard who stood waiting for him. Within a heartbeat, though, CA was surrounded by the camp's other guards. He fought like a devil.

The elven sorceress had come out from one of the tents by this point. She ordered the skeletons to "Kill the intruders!". I had counted on this tactic. There were about a dozen skeletons standing guard out away from the camp. The nearest "intruder" at this point, then, was myself. Perfect. They charged towards me, but, lacking my quick-footed reflexes, quickly became entangled in the still active plant creature. A fair distance away and struggling to move at all, they were out of the fight for quite a while. The undead that were closer to the camp had GR as their closest enemy. They charged towards him, but didn't stand a chance against his artificer-infused mace.

There were enough undead, though, that GR was quickly getting overwhelmed. Worse, there were enough human guards engaging GR that he couldn't focus solely on the skeletons. A good thirty feet seperated GR from CA. I was throwing lightning bolts from my confiscated wand into the largest groups of enemies I could find. XL was no where to be seen. That was good.

Then the vampire came out. That was bad. He stood close to the elven sorceress at first as she directed streams of magic missiles at GR. Then he started spellcasting. Summoning a giant skeleton and directing it against CA, the vampire moved out of my view. Things were slowly going down hill for us.

That didn't last long, though. Five seconds later, things were as bad as they could possibly be.

A Lyran airship had drifted silently towards the battle, coming in low behind us. Rapelling down were the four remaning members of the team that had jumped us in the Broken Anvil in Sharn [ref: PJ-V2-54]. They had friends.

The half-ogre and a knife fighter charged off towards CA. Behind them was the wizard woman. Near me (close enough to be trapped in the entanging roots, in fact) was the armor-plated priest. I could see that he still bore the burn marks that scored our last encounter. He acknowledged my presence, but made no hostile actions.

A gnome woman came down with the attackers, but I lost sight of her almost immediately. Up at the railing of the airship was a man, shouting orders to his people. He told them to kill the "Emerald Claw" first -- whatever that was -- because we would have to be questioned. Just like that, our enemies had turned into our allies.

Things really started cooking, then. It was almost impossible to seperate friend from foe from not-foe in the melee surrounding the camp. I threw more lightning bolts. CA, showboating his elven speed once more, lept from clear ground into the path of one of my bolts quicker than the lightning itself was moving. Impressive, but he got burned for his efforts. Evidently, I need to talk to him about staying out of my line of fire.

A tiny voice whispered in my ear, warning that they would eventually turn on us, too. I had no idea what was going on, so I looked to HU. He merely shrugged. tok tok

The man up in the airship was shouting down to give up the schema, and we would all be spared. One of the newly arrived adventurers was pressing GR and CA for the same thing. The vampires men were quickly dropping. It would only be a matter of time before the newcomers turned on us.

That small voice came again, whispering that she could help us, but wanted amnesty within our group. Realizing what was about to happen, I called out my agreement.

But I was too late. GR read our situation and found his own solution. He pulled out the second schema and threw it at one of the attackers, who grabbed it and caught one of the mooring lines still dangling from the nearby sky ship. I was so mad I tried to hit him with a lightning bolt, but the damn thing chose that moment to fail to operate.

The ship took off so fast that they left two of their own behind. Radigast the cleric and the huge half-ogre.

Suddenly the little gnome appeared and said "Hi, my name's Dahlia," in that same small voice I had heard just a moment before.

Correction: they left three of their own behind."

. -- An excerpt from the Personal Journal of Artemis Heuw, Volume 6

tink -- "Yes."
tok -- "No."
tink-tink-tok-tink-tok-tok -- "You look nice in your blue jacket."
tok-tok-tink-tok-tok -- "I am concerned that the alchemist fire I am carrying will detonate."
tok-tok-tok-tok-tok -- "Danger, Artemis Heuw! Danger!"
tink-tok-tink-tink-tok -- "I have to go to the bathroom."
tok-tink-tink-tink-tok-tok -- "You want me to follow you where?"

. -- An excerpt from "Translations of a Pack Homunculus" by Artemis Heuw, 998YK

sniffles

First Post
Caelen writes home again

Zilargo
10 Lharvion, 998 YK

To my family;

As I expected, our new employer has sent us out of Sharn. Out of Breland, too. We're headed east in pursuit of a coach containing a stolen item. I can't say more. I gave my word.

Our employer gave us an audition before he offered us the job. We had to capture his pet basilisk in his conservatory. It would have been a simple task if my companions always used good tactics. The human strolled off as if he meant to admire the topiary. He and that walking chest of his make more noise than a cavalry troop.

Three of them got themselves turned to stone before I knocked the beast unconscious. The gnome did manage to blind it with glittering dust, but it doesn't need to see to direct its petrifying attack. Our employer paid to have them restored to flesh. I don't know what we would have done with an invisible stone gnome otherwise.

We rode hard into the gnome country and heard some news of the coach we seek. There's a bridge out ahead so the coach has to take a longer route. We tried to take a shortcut through a forest and hired a local guide. He managed to lead us into an ogre ambush. I think he was distracted by the changeling turning into a pretty girl to persuade him. We likely would have made better time trying to cross where the bridge washed out. We'd already decided to go that way, but the changeling wouldn't give up on the shortcut.

Our employer gave us magebred horses to keep as part of our pay, but the half-orc lost his to the ogres. We'll have to double up now. We should have enough gold to buy another horse when we get to a larger town. Our employer's paying us well, but for some reason the human keeps complaining it's not enough, though it's far better than what our last employer paid for our trip to the Mournlands.

As always, I continue to glorify the name of Coriandor in battle.

Caelen

Quips & Quotes this session:
[sblock]

Zora: "Does this petrification make me look fat?"

Hedrin (to Hutch the homunculus - see Artemis's journal entry above): "Tok, damn you, tok!"
Zora: "All you do is tok!"

Hedrin (tv announcer voice): "12.2 swords are stolen every day."

patv: "So I don't know anything about this sword that steals your soul..."
Hedrin: "We've seen you dance - you have no soul."

patv: "We might have to change our tact."
Hedrin: "You have no tact."

patv: "We need a magebred pony for some people."
DH (our illustrious GM): "There's a child seat on that one."

patv: "Should we be flashing the papers around?"
Zora: "Ew! He's flashing again!"

sniffles: "Caelen goes around grabbing people by the shirt front and demanding 'Have you seen a black coach?'."
Hedrin: "No, but I saw this movie about some inner-city kids and a white coach..."
patv: groans
Devo: "When you say something that bad you can groan."
Zora: "When you say something you can groan."

patv: (referring to Xil disguising himself as a pretty girl to charm the guide) "Like everyone who's charmed that way, you just use them temporarily."
DH: (leering) "So you're being used..."

DH draws a map on the mat.
Devo: "It has long eyelashes!"
patv: "Those are cilia, silly."

DH: "Why don't you play Hutch and have Artemis as his cohort?"
Zora: "As his humanculus!"
[/sblock]

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
Continuing adventures

12 Lharvion, 998 YK

Trolanport
Zilargo

To my family;

This trip is turning out to involve more of my skills than just my expertise with a blade.

We got out of the forest safely and said farewell to our guide. After we'd been on the road a few hours we caught sight of a black coach. I don't know how it got ahead of us. We planned to ride ahead to the bridge, pretending to be ordinary travelers.

As we picked up speed to pass the coach, another rider broke from the trees and galloped ahead of us. A bolt of lightning from the coach knocked her out of the saddle. Grinner stopped to heal her. I spurred my horse to a gallop as the coach started to flee. Then a large pack of wolves ran out of the trees on the other side of the road and attacked me!

They brought my horse down, and by the time I'd dealt with most of them our prey had escaped, abandoning their coach. The gnome says the man we're after is a vampire - a real one it seems, since he actually had a coffin in the coach.

We decided to stay the night in a ruined tower. We had to fight off several giant bats first. Grinner took time to smash the coffin. The other rider has joined us for now - another half-orc, this time a female.

We forded the river further on since the bridge was too damaged to use. On the way back I saw a huge wolf sniffing around the abandoned coach.

En route to Trolanport Grinner heard that someone had stolen a coffin, and also that two strangers bought a horse and cart. We knew we must be on the right trail.

Trolanport is mostly water. I hadn't seen much of this city on my way to Sharn. You have to get around by boat. The gnome has taken the lead since this is her land.

The vampire is meeting someone here. The gnome found out that it's the ambassador from Aundair. There's a party tonight at the embassy. We're going to sneak in via magic and try to catch the vampire when he arrives. The gnome's pretending to be some noblewoman - Grinner and I will be her bodyguards, and the human will be a servant. The changeling will get in its own way.

I won't be allowed to carry any weapons into the party. I don't know how I'm going to catch a vampire without my swords, but in Coriandor's name I'll do my best.

This party was a fancy-dress affair. I had to wear a mask. It was dull until suddenly some man started brandishing a black sword.

(To be continued...)

patv: "Does the horse veer off the road and crash?"

patv: "Is the person on the ground moving? Standing up? Pulling a machine gun?"

Zora (to patv, whose character was riding off at an angle from the party): "What are you doing?"
Devo: "He's going to jump the gorge."

Hedrin: "Does this make my Dex look big?"

Hedrin: "Do you have invincible?"
Zora: "I have invisible."

DH: "The woman raises her crossbow and fires - twang!"
sniffles: "You know, it would work better if she actually fired instead of going 'twang'."

Devo: "Is the coffin high quality?"
Zora: "You're not gonna animate it!"

Hedrin: "Can you put raise dead in an item and have raisin' bread?"
[/sblock]

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
The Collected Journals of Artemis Heuw, excerpt 11

(I'm posting another entry on behalf of Devo - sniffles)

"... cold and still. On the upper shelf, a small ceramic cup with blue flowers -- the one I had made when I was just five years old -- held a clutch of tindertwigs, their red and yellow heads barely visible. I mechanically moved the burner back against the wall, noticing with dull surprise that I could not smell the burning fumes I always associate with that particular piece of equipment. It's fire was out, as it had been for over a week now. My whole lab was like that -- sterile, silent. Lifeless. Even Stark sat motionless. For the first time in my life, I found no comfort in my lab. My father is dead."

. -- An excerpt from the Craft Journal of Artemis Heuw Cannith, Volume 6

" I record this now because I am supposed to. It was my father who first convinced me to keep a journal [Ref PJ-V1-1]. I can still hear his voice: "Every day you will find both success and failure. Learn from your failures. Record your successes. In this way, you will become and remember your greatness. A journal will help you with that." And so I write.

It seems to have been a whle since my last entry.

Our exodus from the Mournland was not without incident. UF guided us rather skillfully away from Whitehearth. I recognized that he was helping us avoid some dangers. Others, we willingly sought out.

On our first night out we made camp at a magical spring. It's waters providing healing to those of us brave enough to try them. The well was occupied, though, by large, magically displaced serpents who took umbrage at our appearance. We dealt with them harshly, then covered the well when we discovered there were many more in the waters below.

It was our second day out when we started running into the warforged. In our first encounter, we witnessed a pack of seven or eight warforged warriors fighting a warforged titan. The titan appeared to have the upper hand, but it wasn't a certainty how the fight would end. It was hard to see what damage the titan might have sustained, as he bore a number of makeshift parts and attachments. Even with my training, I couldn't tell what was working properly and what wasn't. We were quite some distance out, though, as we didn't want to get involved in their fight. We moved on.

Later that same day we ran into another project manned by warforged. What at first appeared to be a large, globular structure in the wastes of the Mournland turned out to be the backside of what looked to be a gigantic warforged head. Workers clambered all around, with warriors on patrol as well. Scattered steam vents and piled scrap indicated a much larger operation underground. Perhaps they are building an enormous warforged super titan? If the rest of the creature was proportionate to it's head, it would be large enough to threaten Sharn.

Again, however, we didn't get too close. The danger was simply too great.

It took us longer than expected, but eventually we left the Mournland. There would be one last fight, though. It was still light out -- what passed for day in these lands. Without warning, we were attacked by a monstrous creature that could burrow through the earth. It had enormous horns, and impaled poor UF before CA and GR could take the creature down. Even RA showed his colors during the fight, using his body (and one of our magebred horses [ref: PJ-V5-85]) to bait the creature away when CA and GR needed some distance.

In the end, we destroyed the creature and buried UF. A short time later, we were out of the Mournlands.

Within a day, we had located the remains of our Cannith contact [ref: PJ-V4-54] and his magical wagon. It looked like he had been killed by some large creature. His wagon was smashed to pieces. I may have been the undead wyvern DA had warned us about. The hobgoblin village we visted later that day gave the same appearance. Much of the village -- and many of the villagers -- had been burned, however. Whatever did this was large and powerful.

We made our way to Rhukan Draal to meet lady d'Vown [ref: PJ-V4-37]. Along the way we passed through a village that had just been taken over by an orc bandit army calling itself the Red Hand. We stayed just long enough to learn that we didn't want to stay at all, then were on our way.

It was in Rhukan Draal that IR left our company. She had been visted by a spirit vision -- she called it something like that -- while we were in the Mournlands, and decided that she needed to go to Aerenal to discover it's meaning. I mentioned that Sharn had some wonderful dreamspeakers, and that they could help her interpret her vision, but she just gave me the harshest glare. I'm sure it would have shaken a lesser man. I was sorry to see her go: the DC will miss her convictions. I had a feeling we'd miss more than just her convictions before too long.

Rhukan Draal was just as I remembered it. Filth and stink. Luckily, Lady d'Vown met us within a day. She paid us for our recovery of the schema, and was keenly interested to find out that there were other parties involved in the hunt. She gave us a bonus for the mithral plate [ref: PJ-V5-77], then paid us to escort her back to Sharn. I used the time on the boat trip to craft my first wand [Ref: CJ-V6-17].

On a side note, we were a bit rushed in Rhukan Draal and I had to ask GR to do some shopping for me. Prices were a bit high in there, sure, but you would still think that someone with his "Lower Sharn" mentality could have managed to find better deals. GR does not know how to haggle with merchants. I won't be asking him to buy anything else for me, that's for sure.

We got into Sharn late in the afternoon. We had just enough time to check up on our House Kundarik account [ref: PJ-V4-18] before going our seperate ways. Professor Borramar had gotten our note, thankfully, and had not only picked up the breastplate [ref: PJ-V3-84], but had deposited our reward as well. We took the money and split it.

DA was still with us, as she had never been to Sharn before. She asked where she might find decent accomodations and, naturally, I was the only one in the DC who knew of any. I spoke up before anyone could mention the Broken Anvil. DA and I bid farewell to the others and made our way over to the southeast districts. I left DA in the skyboat and paid the driver -- tipping him nicely. I gave DA and the driver the names of three places I though DA would like, then made for home. As HU and I made our way through the Court of Nine Lamps in Stavros tower, I noticed that vandals had marred the statue. I told HU to remind me to find out who the statue represented -- he was ugly even before being marred like that. The statue was ugly, not HU.

I noticed the door to the office was

It was dark when

It happened almost a month ago. To be fair, though, I suppose this is the first time I've ever written about it. Why can't I pull my thoughts together?

It was evening by the time I came home. I have no recollection of rain or wind or cloud cover of any sort, nor if there was even a sky at all. That's silly, though. Of course there was a sky. I just can't remember it. I wish I could.

The tower was quiet except for the sound of splashing water. I set my chest over near the fountain. (Actually, HU reminds me, he went over there himself to set a lilly afloat in the waters). No one was about, which wasn't odd. I had been away for almost a month, and wasn't up-to-date on Sharn's social calendar. The rest of the family could have been out at a show or at a party hosted by one of the city's elite. Twiggy might have been bored enough to demand the family pick up and go out for an evening's entertainment. Jaiya would have accompanied them, to attend mother.

But I'm rambling. I saw nothing out of place when I came home, with one notable exception. On the floor above me, visible through the second-floor overlook, the door to father's office was open. He only left that door open when he came out to fetch someone from the waiting room. I glanced to my left, but there were no wine glasses on the waiting room tables, nor any other signs of recent occupation. Rather than call up to father, I climbed the stairs and went around to his office.

I wish I could forget what I saw there, and remember instead the rain that night, or clear skies or brisk winds. Anything else.

My father's office was a little darker than normal. There was a smell in the air that I had sensed before, but it was so alien in this familiar place that I simply shut it out. Shadows played in the far corner, giving the impression of movement. I paid them no heed.

My father sat in gentle repose, draped forward over his desk. His head lay on a sheaf of documents; one hand in his lap and the other curled lightly around the mithral-sheathed pen mother had bought him for his birthday last year. There was a wound, large and horrible on the top of his head, but surprisingly little blood. The next few moments were a blur. I know I went over to his side. I moved him, to see if he could somehow still be alive. HU's account of the situation and a later inventory indicated that I may have tried using a healing potion on him. He was dead, though. Though I had never seen it's like before, I knew the wound was caused by an illithid.

I ran out to find the rest of my family.

Mother was just down the hall in her bedroom, and Twiggy across the tower in hers. An argument earlier in the evening had sent them both sulking to their respective rooms.They were in the hall, wide-eyed with surprise and panic, when I came out of father's office. Perhaps some noise I had made had roused them. I stood there, in the doorway to father's study, eyes locked with mother's.

Twiggy was yelling something; shouting questions, perhaps. My mother looked from my face down to my right hand, and shuddered in fear and horror at the blood she saw there. I brought my hand up to look at it, and realized that this was probably the first time she had seen someone else's blood on me.

She ran past me before I could react. And screamed; a loud piteous noise.

I came into the room with Twiggy right behind me. The window was open now, the fresh air a stark counterpoint to the scent of blood that still filled the room. A scent I had blocked out earlier. HU pulled at my jacket and pointed: on the mirror over the fireplace, scrawled in my father's blood, was the phrase, "Give me the Orb of Xoriat". Overcome, I was suddenly sick."

. -- An excerpt from the Personal Journal of Artemis Heuw Cannith, Volume 6

-- "37"

. -- An excerpt from the margin note "Nmbr litigators this wk" found in the Personal Journal of Artemis Heuw Cannith, Volume 6

sniffles

First Post
The Collected Journals of Artemis Heuw Cannith, excerpt 12

"Mother knocked at the lab door again, asking if everything was all right. I yelled to her that everything was fine, and could she please leave me alone? She must have heard the strain of my exertions, however, or my labored breathing, because she knocked again, asking the same question. I told her go away as I was doing something very private. My lapse in concentration almost cost me. I had to put both hands on my wand to bring it back up to power. Closing my eyes, I focused on my desire and put everything I had into one final thrust. I had been at this for over an hour; my arms were leaden with the effort and I was now spent, but what a finish! I smiled broadly at HU while he put away the iconography, and I wondered why everybody didn't do this...."

. -- An excerpt from the Craft Journal of Artemis Heuw Cannith, Volume 6

"... asked HU what they could be doing all the way up here in Stavros Tower, but he just tok'd at me. He didn't know either. I took a deep breath, then surreptitiously glanced around, hoping the Watch had magically appeared while I was readying myself. No such luck.

The Court of Nine Lamps is a gallery in the middle of Stavros Tower. It serves as a way stop, of sorts, on the raised boulevard that connects tower t-342 with the Haaluv Dreamtower. A side lane connects to the level of this tower, and, in fact, runs right past my front door. The Court takes up almost the entirety of the interior of Stavros Tower (on that level, at least), minus a few shops

On any other day, the Court would be an excellent place to relax and be seen. There is usually a cart vendor selling chicken wraps -- with an excellent brown sauce, I might add -- and in high summer there is usually someone selling shaved ice. Benches along one side provide a comfortable area to relax, and a handful of game tables stand nearby awaiting players of Shah or Kings. Today, however, was not a good day to be in the Court of Nine Lamps.

Half a dozen gnolls surrounded a young human couple and their child. It looked like they were terrorizing the poor people, and were about to get rough. No one else was standing up for them, so I had to step in. Naturally, I did so without hesitation. I stepped forward to the edge of the Courtyard, calling out for the ruffians to disassemble. Two of the gnolls immediately broke off and loped towards me.

Gods, I had forgotten how tall gnolls really are, and how ... massive. Plus their breath stank something fierce.

They growled something about leaving, this was their tower now. I persisted, however, as is my nature, and was rewarded for my heroism by having the largest of them (easily eight feet tall) bodily pick me up and prepare to throw me off of the avenue. I have learned a thing or two of fighting, however, and escaped his grasp. What followed was an extended wrestling match. I had him on skill, but he had brute force on his side.

HU was having problems, as well. My gnolls smaller friend had the bright idea of picking up HU and throwing him off of the tower, too. HU is pretty strong, though, and managed to break away from his assailant. He slapped the gnoll on the nose for good measure. Unfortunately, this caused the gnoll to break out his axe chop HU to little bits.

In a burst of energy brought about by what I can only call parental concern, I threw off my attacker and interposed myself between HU and the foul axe-wielding beast that threatened him. The look of grim determination on my face must have given my opponent pause, for he took a half step back and growled deeply at me.

This gave me the opening I sought. I glanced behind the pair of gnolls to see that the young couple had escaped their aggressors. With a wide, threatening swing of my cane at the two gnolls opposite me, I bid HU to run away: I couldn't protect him and fight these creatures both -- especially with another four gnolls heading towards me!

HU ran away, and with a flourish and salute, I leapt from the bridge. The look on their face as I did so was priceless. They stood there slack-jawed, their eyes wide in shocked amazement.

That is the benefit of fighting on one's home turf, I expect. I knew these towers well. The next landing was a mere hundred or so feet below me. My recently crafted Griffon Badge [ref: CJ-V6-49] allowed me to drift gracefully downward until I landed soft-footed on the cobblestones below. That's when I realized that I had been roughed up a bit in the fight. One always ignores such things when in the thick of it. Cycling rapidly through a few wands, I had made myself presentable -- and comfortable -- by the time HU caught up with me. I quickly repaired the damage [ref: CJ-V1-30] done to him by that dreadful gnoll. We went to find a watch patrol to escort back up to Stavros Tower.

...were not as impressed as they should have been with my recounting of the previous days events. Like any of them could have stood up against a half dozen gnolls. Well, maybe CA could have, but he was still out of town, and had been for weeks.

I turned my attention back to the ... stew ... that sat congealing in a bowl in front of me, vowing, yet again, to never return to the Broken Anvil. Nothing good ever came of our meetings in the Anvil. As if to prove my divinations, who should walk through the door but Kaiber [ref: PJ-V2-29]. He was trailed by a good fifteen or so gnolls. If it were possible, the place smelled worse for their presence.

KA was in an odd mood. His sole purpose there that day was to gloat and make absurd demands. They were his gnolls, he informed us, that had been pushing people around in Stavros Tower yesterday. He claimed that he was growing in power, and that he was "taking over" the tower. Bearing a smug grin, he "informed" me that I would be given the "opportunity" to appear at the Court of Nine Lamps and "beg his forgiveness for interfering in his business, in public, for one and all to see." I had to laugh.

Ah, well. At least he recognized my part in yesterdays events.

I informed him, in no uncertain terms, that I would never bow to him. The DC had the grace to back me up. I went one step further and told him flat out that Stavros wasn't his, and that I would make sure he understood that. He laughed (nervously, I am sure) and said he'd see me at noon the next day, that I may pay homage to him. Then he turned and moved quickly out of the inn.

We let him go. No use fighting in the Anvil again. The place was ugly enough already.

I'll give the DC this, they've got spirit. Each of them agreed to help me face off against KA the next day. GR arranged for some of his thugs to create a noon-time disturbance a short distance off, to draw any of the city watch away. We didn't want any of them hurt. XL went down to the barracks of Caerlyn's Blades to look for CA or leave a message. I don't know what DA did.

For myself, I had preparations to make. HU and I went home.

The DC met at my place the next day, an hour or so before noon. We strategized. Naturally, the I was the only one equipped (mentally and materially) to concoct a sufficiently intelligent plan. DA had ideas of what she would do, but had little to share with the rest of the DC. GR had the excellent idea of bringing along some friends. Well, it would have been an excellent idea if they had been more than half-starved, lice-ridden street brawlers. A more wretched clutch of scum and villainy I have never seen. I sent them to "mingle" with the crowd in the Court of Nine Lamps, just to get them out of my house. When the time came, maybe they'd be able to strike the gnolls from behind, or distract them with their excessive body odors.

I infused most of our weapons to make them more deadly to gnolls [ref: CJ-V1-21], then augmented mine and GR's defenses [ref: CJ-V3-18]. I augmented HU, since I knew he would be involved in the fight [ref: CJ-V1-29, CJ-V3-18]. Finally, I placed a couple of spells in my cane. Something to hopefully help out later. I checked my wand sheaths to make sure everything was in the proper order, and, naturally, they were. HU, meanwhile, was reorganizing his stock, to make the alchemy and healing potions more accessible.

We were ready. Just before noon, we left my house and crossed the bridge towards Stavros Tower.

DA was there ahead of us, invisible and letting us know via whispered Messages what was going on. Supposedly, XL was down in the crowd somewhere in disguise. A number of gnolls had gathered, and were milling around like they were about to fight. GR, HU, and I arrived on the scene at the same time KA did. Because we were coming in from the north, we stepped out into the Court of Nine Lamps on a small landing half a story up and overlooking the scene below. A sturdy railing separated us from the crowd below and stairs led down to the courtyard proper on our left. I stopped at the railing about the same time KA stepped into the center of the tower. He was not alone.

KA had a couple gnoll guards with him, but also one of the largest minotaurs I had ever seen. He was huge! I wasn't sure how he had gotten this far up with that axe he was carrying, also. On the other side of KA was a well-groomed man who had an air of education around him. That, I thought, was our danger.

I called KA out before he had a chance to say anything stupid. With the very polite but forceful tone that I usually reserve for misbehaving servants, I told KA in no uncertain terms that he had no claim on this tower -- he was to take his band, leave, and never return.

He looked, for a moment, like he had bitten into a sour plum. It rankled him, I guess, that I had interrupted his speech -- a speech he had probably stayed up all night preparing. He decided to go forward with it anyway. It was some long, boring bit about how I needed to come down there and kiss his boot, thanking him for not killing me and apologizing for getting in his way. I'd heard better speeches from three-copper street plays.

We bantered back and forth a bit. It was KA's educated friend who realized that KA was losing this battle of wits. To cover up for his employer's gross incompetence, he gestured towards HU and some eldritch energy sprang forth to nearly hit my homunculus. I looked at the scorched wall behind me, then down to HU. HU just shrugged at me.

"Interesting," I remember saying. "So that is what you do."

"This is what House Cannith does!" and with that, I threw a vial of alchemist's fire at the man. It hit him square in the chest and lit him on fire.

With that, the fight was on.

KA sprung forward -- I remembered then his prodigious jumping abilities [ref: PJ-V3-75]. GR hit him in mid air with a well-timed crossbow bolt, then KA was on the railing next to us slashing down at GR with his sword. HU, as planned, stepped towards the stairs and tossed a broken a smokestick in that direction. He added another, for good measure. The stairs on our left flank flooded with black smoke.

There was chaos down below. A gnoll archer started shooting at us backed up by a couple of his friends. They were all in for quite a surprise: CA had just showed up, with two of Caerlyn's Blades in tow. The three swordsmen charged, and a gnoll fell. GR's people were doing their best, but were no match for the gnolls in the courtyard. One was cut down immediately; two others did what they could, but were fighting now for survival. XL, according to his later reports, was using his gnoll disguise -- and, I say with no modesty, the gnoll-bane weapon I had prepared for him -- to quite effectively drop one gnoll after another. DA was slinging spells as fast as she could at the warlock.

Up on the upper balcony, we were having problems. KA may not be a smart man, but he is a very skilled killer. He had gotten between GR and I, and was attacking everyone within reach. HU had sidestepped to the top of the stairs, where he fended off two of the gnoll attackers while I employed different wands on both KA and the battle around us.

KA's warlock friend had employed some magic to transport himself up onto the balcony on the other side of GR. With a second spell, he transposed himself with the minotaur, and suddenly our situation became much more dire. GR was now flanked by KA on one side and the minotaur on the other. Almost simultaneously, we had the same idea. We jumped from the balcony.

GR was the first to hit the courtyard, and he hit it hard. His landing looked quite painful. To make matters worse, he had landed at the feet of several gnolls. My landing, a moment later, was far more graceful, naturally, but still I decided to stay low to the ground so I could spring off in any direction. One must always be prepared.

By this point, all of the principles were rather badly wounded. I was holding on through sheer tempered will, and poor GR looked about to collapse. CA was very badly wounded, and stood in front of his one surviving Blade friend, who looked near death himself. The other Blade had been killed in a single stroke from the minotaur. None of GR's thugs remained. KA was hurt badly, as was the warlock. The minotaur, XL, DA, and a the few remaining gnolls were the only ones in good health still.

The minotaur had made it down to ground level again, when he inexplicably cut down two gnolls in one vicious swing. Well, it would have been inexplicable to one less trained in the arcane arts: DA had mentioned once that her specialty was enchantment, and I could see the tell-tale signs that she had control of the huge creature's tiny mind. GR quickly dispatched the gnolls closest to him then applied healing magics to the both of us. I was fencing with KA, still, as HU battered unceremoniously at a gnoll. The warlock turned and ran away. With barely a sigh, the battle had turned in our favor.

As I have mentioned once or twice, KA isn't the brightest man. He failed to recognize the signs and began gloating over his unearned victory. I just pointed my wand at him and laughed, clearing blood from a cut above my eye.

A burst of smoke and light preceded a sudden, raucous explosion that shook the foundations of the tower. When the smoke cleared, four enormous warforged -- all kitted out for destruction -- leapt forth and covered KA, the minotaur, and the gnolls with large, glowing weapons. Left standing on the fading patterns of runes that the warforged soldiers had sprung from was none other than Merrix d'Cannith.

Boy, was I glad to see him!"

. -- An excerpt from the Personal Journal of Artemis Heuw Cannith, Volume 6

"Flawless memory"
"Perfect diction, pronunciation, and grammar"
"Noble Bearing; elegant"
"Cunning Linguist"
"Bright, violet eyes, with flecks of gold"
"Heartfelt delivery of poem at father's funeral"
"Exquisite taste in patrons"

. -- An excerpt from the list "The Patronage of Maia Soone -- Pros" as written by Artemis Heuw Cannith, 998YK

"Young"

. -- The complete list "The Patronage of Maia Soone -- Cons" as written by Artemis Heuw Cannith, 998YK

sniffles

First Post
Caelen's correspondence continues....

I'm moving this entry to get things back into chronological sequence. sniffles

Last edited:

Remove ads