• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The command prayer rubs me the wrong way sometimes

SweeneyTodd

First Post
Eh, I figure if it really bothers you, house rule it. Making Command not work on immobilized enemies isn't really going to come up that often (it just means they'll use the power on someone else, or use a different power), so it's not going to be a balance issue either way. I don't think it makes any difference as long as you're consistent about it.

Gort said:
Doesn't this seem a bit silly? I mean, I could see the power working if it was a giant holy fist shoving someone 3 squares, but it has the "charm" keyword, so I can't even re-flavour it.

Should the command power (or the immobilised condition) be errataed to prevent this?

How about this...

The cleric commands the otherwise immobilized person to move three squares. His body is seized by energy, making him get up and move like a marionette, after which the energy relinquishes itself and the body drops to the ground in a heap.

I know charms generally effect the mind, but I would personally find this preferable to erratta, or a house rule.

Verdande

First Post
Raduin711 said:
The cleric commands the otherwise immobilized person to move three squares. His body is seized by energy, making him get up and move like a marionette, after which the energy relinquishes itself and the body drops to the ground in a heap.

You have no idea how cool this looks in my mind.

Plane Sailing said:
Personally I'd just leave it up to GM judgement. I'd be happy making a judgement call on that as a GM, for instance.

Trying to nail down a rule for every situation is tricky enough in a 'non-exception-based-design' system. In 4e it would probably end up a hiding to nothing pretty quickly IMO.

Cheers

I agree. Common sense can trump the rules. For instance, in my campaign. Inspiring Word doesn't work on someone who is unconscious or otherwise can't hear the word.

hong

WotC's bitch
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I agree. Common sense can trump the rules. For instance, in my campaign. Inspiring Word doesn't work on someone who is unconscious or otherwise can't hear the word.
Eh, it just means you have to shout LOUDER. And kick their lazy butt!

theNater

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Do you know something I don't? I wasn't aware that unconsciousness caused deafness.

I have been pulled out of an unconscious state by noises, on multiple occasions. Admittedly, I've never been beaten into that state, so I don't know if that affects things.

Destil

Explorer
I'm pretty big on 'Unconscious' meaning you're crumpled on the ground, head swimming, barely able to breath, but still aware of the world. You can't defend yourself or act with any real effect, but that's about the only downside....

Like Dr. Jones Sr. at the end of Last Crusade.

Since when has unconscious ever prevented a PC from talking, anyway?

Ginnel

Explorer
Anax said:
My favorite part is imagining the cleric making little "walky fingers" motions as the person moves.
^ that for the win :)

thing about grab immobilising is its like a grab round the waste or a holding onto an arm.

The command spell does the puppety thing calmy to remove said grapple and walks away oblivious (immune) to any attacks which it dodges with ease with slight movements in a zen like way (less zen if done by an evil cleric but still no damage to enemies unless the DM wants it so some monsters get blapped by it)

The glue pot imbolisation is sticky glue stuff to the floor that hardens gradually

The command spell lends divine str to break from the glue to march it a few feet and then the remainder of the glue drips down to keep the victim stucked, until it finally all hardens and then player breaks free (makes his save)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads