• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Compendium is Live

pinbot

First Post
Boarstorm said:
Uhh, yeah, I know. That's why I'm dismayed to see it actually LISTED as an immediate reaction.

They list it as an immediate reaction, but it still says

"This bonus is cumulative; if three cursed enemies drop to 0 hit points or fewer before your next turn, you gain a +3 bonus to a d20 roll during your turn."

Which of course makes no sense since you only take one immediate action per round. So clearly Fate of the Void s/b free or no action.

Saitou

First Post
Woah woah woah woah WAIT

Pact boons are powers now? That makes no sense. Immediate reactions make no sense! It even says on the Fate of the Void power that it's stackable!

I'm chalking this one up as a goof in the transition to the compendium.

Last edited:

Boarstorm

First Post
Saitou said:
Woah woah woah woah WAIT

Pact boons are powers now? That makes now sense. Immediate reactions make no sense! It even says on the Fate of the Void power that it's stackable!

I'm chalking this one up as a goof in the transition to the compendium.

And I am dearly hoping you're correct, usefulness of the star pact aside.

dragon_eater

First Post
Mort_Q said:
I'm missing the part that doesn't make sense!?

If you are talking about why the pact boon being an Immediate Reaction is bad then that is because...

A. You can only do 1 Immediate Action during your turn. (Meaning Fate of the Void's stacking is pointless)
B. You can only do an Immediate Reaction when it is NOT your turn. (Meaning the only way to activate your boons is with damage over time)

However I believe the compendium is incorrect and it will be updated sometime.

Reference Player's Handbook pg 268 for rules about Immediate Actions.

Mirtek

Hero
Mengu said:
Edit: I also did a search for Containing Strike (from Swordmaster Steel Grace description), since I wasn't able to figure out what it did. Steel Grace seems to still be the only reference to it.
Seems to have been an fighter at-will that was cut during the final steps of finishing the rules. If you want to know what it does: the sample death knight still has it. It's a 1[W]+Str attack with the effect of granting a basic attack as immediate interrupt when the enemy shifts later during the round (seems to have been folded into combat challenge and thus no reason to exist as a seperate power)

Kaffis

First Post
Mort_Q said:
I'm reasonably certain that this is deliberate... so you'll want to own a hard copy.

Works for me.

Yup. If you make it too browseable, you invalidate book sales. Perhaps not a huge issue with core, but with the addition of other sourcebooks...

I'm much more surprised to note that it's using javascript -- did we previously know that the compendium would be platform portable (well, I assume it is.. technically I haven't found a Mac or Linux box to try it on, so it might be artificially or sloppily not so), and if not, does this, coupled with bringing DDI stuff in-house, bode well for the non-Windows crowd?

Though, I generally shudder at java-based 3d stuff, so I (selfishly) hope this is compendium only.

jelmore

First Post
Mengu said:
But there are apparently going to be some new Warlord builds such as:
BRAVURA WARLORD
RESOURCEFUL WARLORD - this one actually has powers and everything, but if I do a search for Resourceful Presence, to see if any warlord powers are affected by it, the search comes up dry.

Resourceful Presence is listed in the body of the Warlord class description (EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you meant.)

D&D Compendium said:
Resourceful Presence: When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, that attack gains a bonus to damage equal to ½ your level plus your Intelligence modifier. If the attack fails to deal any damage, the ally gains temporary hit points equal to ½ your level plus your Charisma modifier.

Last edited:

Jack Colby

First Post
Well, it's about what I expected. They traded functionality for protecting their precious rules text, 'cause they want you to buy the books. Understandable, I suppose. Really cuts back on usefulness though.

Remove ads