• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Complete Strategist

resscane

Explorer
as a clarification, I would like to add that I'm not a member of the band, cannot play any sort of music, married w/ 2 chillys and did not post this link to hype a band. I didnt even download their mp.3's, yet. Just thought it was of mild, and I repeat, mild interest, that a band chose this name.

HiLiphNY

Explorer
Forget the band, I prefer, THE COMPLEAT STRATEGIST. It's my FLGS here in lovely rural NYC. I must say, it's a pretty damn solid store, but with one creepy dude who works the shelves - wears the leather boots, black leather vest and black leather driving gloves. Um, ok. . .what's up with that?

Still like the store!

MarauderX

Explorer
HiLiphNY said:
Forget the band, I prefer, THE COMPLEAT STRATEGIST. It's my FLGS here in lovely rural NYC. I must say, it's a pretty damn solid store, but with one creepy dude who works the shelves - wears the leather boots, black leather vest and black leather driving gloves. Um, ok. . .what's up with that?

Still like the store!

As do I, in Falls Church, VA, but it has the problem of overflowing shelves, and the overflow never moves, as if the books were supposed to be stacked on the floor. But I know that among those books I can find the rarest of information, beasties that none of the players have seen and crazy BBEGs & themes to fill my game.

And there are plenty of bands with D&D-ish names... troglodyte, lich priest, dungeon...
yeesh, not sure explaining the rules to them would be fun or worth the frightening experience.

Mallus

Legend
Saw the name on a music site recently. Never heard the band.

But I fondly remember cutting class in high school and going to The Complete Strategist that used to be off Bloomfield Ave. in Montclair, NJ...

Was that really almost 20 years ago?

Soel

First Post
There was a glitch (techno) artist called Lesser who had a couple of tracks that were D&D name based. One was something like 5th Level Dwarven Fighter.

CarlZog

Explorer
Mallus said:
Saw the name on a music site recently. Never heard the band.

But I fondly remember cutting class in high school and going to The Complete Strategist that used to be off Bloomfield Ave. in Montclair, NJ...

Was that really almost 20 years ago?

Well, it was more than 20 years ago that my high school game group and I were making pilgrimages to The Compleat Strategist in Davie, FL. Boy, was that place out in the boondocks! At least, it sure seemed that way when I was 16.

Anyway, I think the first use of the phrase comes from the book, The Compleat Strategyst: Being A Primer On The Theory Of Games Of Strategy a book on game theory published in the 1950s. by J.D. Williams.

As with numerous other books, the old-style spelling was, I believe, a play on the classic 17th century fishing text "The Compleat Angler"

Carl

Remove ads