• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Contagion Spell

Maybe just use it as intended as I doubt the players will care if one spell is not super effective for them. AKA it's pretty much a spell better for NPC's then players.

Gadget

Adventurer
I think it is pretty clear from a reading of the spell that the effects of the disease happen immediately, it uses the word "afflict" not "infect". So all the posturing about incubation times and such is really beside the point. Besides, when a target makes three saves, they "recover" from the disease. Hard to recover from a disease you never really suffered from.

As for fixing the spell: my plan is to have the caster roll a d6 to see what disease the victim gets, rather than choose. This still makes the spell effective without making it an auto-win "slimy doom". Now, there's still a chance to get the auto win, but it is not a sure thing.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I think it is pretty clear from a reading of the spell that the effects of the disease happen immediately, it uses the word "afflict" not "infect". So all the posturing about incubation times and such is really beside the point.
You saw that this was subsequently clarified in Sage Advice?

Do contagion effects kick in immediately, or do they kick in when the target fails the three saving throws?
The effects of the contagion spell’s disease are meant to activate after three failed saving throws.
So we do have an official answer as far as that goes.

Gadget

Adventurer
You saw that this was subsequently clarified in Sage Advice?

So we do have an official answer as far as that goes.

They can "clarify" all they want, but until they issue errata, the English language means what it means. This really isn't even that open to interpretation. If that is what they meant, they should have written it that way or issued errata.

They can "clarify" all they want, but until they issue errata, the English language means what it means. This really isn't even that open to interpretation. If that is what they meant, they should have written it that way or issued errata.

The English language works for ether interpretation.

jgsugden

Legend
I thought we cast ceremony to make sure this stayed dead... huh.

If you want this spell to work in a fun way, have the target make those saves when the spell is cast, at the end of each turn, and whenever they take damage. If they have failed more saves than they've made, they feel the effects of the disease. If they make 3, it ends immediately. If they fail 3, the disease lasts for 7 days.

Gadget

Adventurer
The English language works for ether interpretation.

Lets see:
Afflict -
verb (used with object)
to distress with mental or bodily pain; trouble greatly or grievously:
to be afflicted with arthritis.

2. Obsolete.
to overthrow; defeat.
to humble.

Not seeing how one was ever 'afflicted' with the disease if they never suffered any debilitating effects.

Recover
verb (used without object)
to regain health after being sick, wounded, or the like (often followed by from):
to recover from an illness.
to regain a former and better state or condition:
The city soon recovered from the effects of the earthquake.
to regain one's strength, composure, balance, etc.
Law. to obtain a favorable judgment in a suit for something.
Football. to gain or regain possession of a fumble:
The Giants recovered in the end zone for a touchdown.
to make a recovery in fencing or rowing.

Also kind of hard to 'recover' from something you never really had.

Look, I get that some think of this as more of a world building spell than one that players would necessarily use. There are others: Illusory Script and Imprisonment come to mind. I've not seen either of those used, though the later may just be do to the dearth of extreme High level play I've seen (it is still difficult to use through the course of ordinary play, IMHO). I'm not sure this needs to one of those, or what is broken if it is (other than the "slimy doom" option and the need for undead & constructs to be immune).

Motorskills

Explorer
My fix:

Your touch inflicts disease. Make a melee spell attack against a creature within your reach. On a hit, you afflict the creature with a randomly-determined disease from the list described below (roll d6). The effect of the disease occurs immediately.

At the end of each of the victim's turns, he must make a Constitution check. If three saves are made before three failed saves, the disease is cured. If three failed saves are made before three successful ones, the disease lasts for the full duration of the spell unless cured in the interim by magic or other accepted methods.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads