• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The coolest campaign idea (you never used)

Munin

First Post
What is the coolest idea you've ever had for your homebrew that never actually made it into your campaign world?

I ask because I think it would be neat to create a depository for unused campaign ideas.

kerakus

First Post
I have a whole file full of unused campaign ideas, written in little blurbs...here's a couple... Not exactly homebrew stuff, since I've managed to squeeze most of my homebrew campaign ideas into my current campaigns.

Dungeons & Dragons - The Dragon Islands

1000 years ago, Io turned his back on his children as they went to war with each other in the last great Dragon War. The Dragonslayers came, decimating the divided dragon clans of the Io's Blood Islands. Now, their descendants claim the islands as their own, having nearly forgotten the mighty Wyrms who ruled there a millennium ago. But 1000 years is not so long a time for a Dragon, and the survivors of the great Dragon Clans have begun to meet again, in secret, to patiently plan the return of the Council of Wyrms.

Dungeons & Dragons: Forgotten Realms - Silverdale

A new community has formed in the Dale lands. It's founders believe it will be a symbol of hope and unity for the region, a capital for a new realm, much like the Silver Marches. But, there are many who would exploit the new community and others who seek only to destroy it before it becomes a threat. The PCs have been called on to help protect and defend this new community in it's formative years.

Q

Munin

First Post
Good question.
I mean plothooks, adventure ideas, world design ideas, alternate races or other oddities that never saw the light of day. I'd like to keep the rules out of it as much as possible, but if it is an integral part of the idea than they can be included as well.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
The Blighting

The premise for this campaign comes from the D&D cliché of how competing faiths of the church (clerics) and nature (druids). Basically the history of the campaign is that the druids won big. All that remains of gods now lie in ruins and a great utopia of balanced life has been born…or so they think.

The clerics, however, are quite upset with the situation…naturally (couldn’t resist). Anyway, the last of the Theocracy did the unthinkable once the druids victory was guaranteed: they performed the rituals of lichdom upon themselves so that their faith would be everlasting.

Now, many hundreds of years later, the clerics have decided it is time for a reckoning…or one might say a Blighting. Undead are creeping forth and the druids are going to be hard-pressed to handle it as they have no ability to turn undead nor do they even have the restoration spell (only the lesser version).

I would make sure to eliminate all feats that might allow anybody to simulate turning capabilities. The whole point of the campaign is that there are no clerics or paladins.

Obviously, this would be a bleak campaign, similar in feel to Ravenloft perhaps.

Crothian

First Post
For the past 6 campaigns all played in the same world there has been awar beneath the waves. THe Saughin are conquoring everything down there, and theother underwater races like the sea elves have slowly been loosing. THis has made for problems each campaign at different times but so far the groups have not wanted to investigate it.

Munin

First Post
Explorers into the unknown

I'm tossing around an idea right now to put the fear of the unknown back into d&d.

The basic premise is that on the campaign world, the human settlements all cling to the coast of a vast continent. The players would all start as humans and would be a part of an expedition into the interior of the continent.
Along the way, they would meet and interact with the various other races of the campaign world, and their actions would partially determine how the different races treated humanity (disdain, scorn, friendship, trust, etc.)
When the campaign is over, move the timeline ahead a few hundred years and start a new campaign. This time, however, the players can see the affects of their character's actions far into the future. It would give them a real sense of ownership of the world.

The one I suggested for someone else's Oriental Adventures campaign setting wherein the energies of Yin and Yang are out of balance.

A homebrew that's a-brewin' in me head, but I've never wrote out.

Munin said:
I'm tossing around an idea right now to put the fear of the unknown back into d&d.

The basic premise is that on the campaign world, the human settlements all cling to the coast of a vast continent. The players would all start as humans and would be a part of an expedition into the interior of the continent.
Along the way, they would meet and interact with the various other races of the campaign world, and their actions would partially determine how the different races treated humanity (disdain, scorn, friendship, trust, etc.)
When the campaign is over, move the timeline ahead a few hundred years and start a new campaign. This time, however, the players can see the affects of their character's actions far into the future. It would give them a real sense of ownership of the world.

I love this idea. I have no idea when/if I'll ever have the chance to run it, but if I ever do, consider it well and truly yoinked. :D

painandgreed

First Post
Morrow Project/D&D
Morrow Project is an old game where the characters are people put into suspended animation meant to wake up five years after a nuclear war to rebuild. For reasons I won't go into, they don't end up waking till 200 years after. Although heavily armed, combat was very deadly so a hit from a black powder musket or even an arrow could kill, so the point wasn't combat so much as befriending the locals, forming relationships, and actually doing the job you were supposed to do by helping to rebuild civilization. I decided to drop one of these groups into a D&D world and even told them we were playing Morrow Project with some rules mods (This would be so easy with all the modern d20). They beleived me past the first encounter where they saved a traveller (NPC mage party member) from bandits since they didn't speak the local language. However, when they came over the hill and saw some knights trying to capture/kill a unicorn, they figured out they weren't in Kansas anymore. (that was also the last time we played)Although they were armed with modern weapons, they had no melee weapon proficincies or even the ability to speak the language. As their ammo ran out, they'd have to aclimate to the local setting. Again, the point wasn't combat but role playing their characters, making friends and alliances, and if they weren't careful, by time they figured out what was going on, they'd be down to everybody elses level.

What was going on is that the gods were playing a game. Both the good gods and the evil gods got to pick a limited number of people or creatures from other planes and worlds and put them into this one to influence the way the world went. From the US fighter pilot that had become a nobel in the country to the SS unit working for the evil wizard. As it was the desitiny of these chosen few to alter the shape of the world, they not only had to hunt down and neutralize the evil ones, but actually do good themselves.

Red Wizards of Thay
Idea is that one of the characters is the grandson of a deceased, yet great, Red Wizard. Now that he is of age and a magic user, and old adventuring partner, A halfling, of his grandfather's says that his grandfather has left treasure and magic items for his decendants if they prove themselves. The ha;fling gives them a map to a dungeon to clear out. Thing is that they're 1st level and the dungeon is about 4th level as the halfling actually works for the characters uncle who wishes to be the only controling member of the family fortune. They'd actually get a few levels before reaching the dungeon but it should still be hard enough for them to figure out it was a set up. From there they are in the politics of Thay simply because of who the character is a decendant of and that they are allied with him. Planned on playing many of the adventures form the Red Wizards FR book from the Red Wizards side. it would be up to the characters to help or hinder the invasion of fire elementals or undead into neighboring nations. Of course, even aiding one Red Wizard would mean making enemies of others and it would be up to the players to pick the right side of the various plots or come up with their own in an attempt to become a powerful and feared Red Wizard of Thay.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads