• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The coolest, classic D&D BBEG!

The BEST classic D&D BBEG!

• Acererak the Devourer, Tomb of Horrors

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Asmodeus, King of the Nine Hells

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Azalin, Dark Lord of Darkon, Ravenloft

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Bane, The Black Hand of the Forgotten Realms

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Cyric, The Dark Sun of the Forgotten Realms

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Demogorgon, Prince of Demons

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Dispater, Lord of the Second Hell

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Errtu, Balor Demon foe of Drizzt DoUrden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Graz'zt, Demon Prince of the Triple Realm

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Lolth, Demon Queen of Spiders

Votes: 22 10.6%
  • Orcus, Demon Prince of Undeath

Votes: 22 10.6%
  • Raistlin, Master of Past and Present in Dragonlance

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Strahd, Dark Lord of Barovia, Ravenloft

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Takhisis/Tiamat, The Dragon Queen

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Tharizdun, The Dark God, Greyhawk

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • Vecna, the Lord of Secrets, Greyhawk

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Zuggtymoy, The Demon Lady of Fungus

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Other (indicate who/what below)

Votes: 11 5.3%

John Crichton

First Post
Chun-tzu said:
Raistlin (arguably) redeemed himself. Definitely an awesome character, but no BBEG. Entreri also has a streak of conscience. Neither of these guys is the essence of evil.
I tend to like my BBEG's less one-dimensional than PURE evil. :) It just makes for a better story. But hey, that's not to say that those antagonists that are pure evil don't serve a purpose because they do.

It's what makes a villain like Entrari, Raistlin or (I know he's not D&D but he fits the mold I like) Darth Vader so cool. :)

rounser

First Post
Ack! Staffan beat me to it. Bargle, indeed, and not to forget the one and only Baron Ludwig von Hendriks! Both have the facial hair and attitude of classic villains. Twirl those moustaches and cackle one time, aight!

Other also-rans and favourites:

Lord Soth (before he got ruined by Ravenloft and pot plants)
Halaster (before he got ruined by the novels)
The Egg of Coot (for being mysterious, wacky and threatening)
The Witch-King of Vaasa (high-powered villainy is him)
Larloch (for being so passive and so untapped - stat block villainy)
Gargantua (for bothering to produce big monsters just because)
The Queen of Air and Darkness (forget the drow and Lolth, the real unseelie are where it's at)

Bane, on the other hand, is the Real Ultimate Evil. Not only will he enslave your kids, subvert your government, and dominate your free will, he'll look damn good while he does it. That man's got STYLE.
Pull the other one! Bane is waaay overrated and has anything but class, IMO - I think it must be his kewl name that pulls the wool over people's eyes. Even Cyric has more class than Bane, by now, reading his own Cyrinishad and going insane as a result...

At least Bhaal was a go-getter and had focus....he almost did in the Moonshaes and was a very good sport at making a comeback after the Time of Troubles (if you consider the Baldur's Gate CRPGs canon).

Xarlen

First Post
rounser said:
Ack! Staffan beat me to it. Bargle, indeed, and not to forget the one and only Baron Ludwig von Hendriks! Both have the facial hair and attitude of classic villains. Twirl those moustaches and cackle one time, aight!

I gotta ask, what is Bargle from?

Halaster (before he got ruined by the novels)

Forget 'Excape from Undermount', which was just DORKY. Try the short story in set in Skullport, I think in 'Tales of the Underdark'. He's like a Dark Elminster, definetly weird and plotting, no less.

Larloch (for being so passive and so untapped - stat block villainy)

Hehe. Someone mentioned him on the Boards, and he sounds Scary as anything. :) He's just a passive 'I want to study magic' Lich... With an undead, magical, and monster army big enough to make the Realms cry for mommy.

The Queen of Air and Darkness (forget the drow and Lolth, the real unseelie are where it's at)

Yeah! Unseelie are nasty, twisted little suckers.

rounser

First Post
I gotta ask, what is Bargle from?
The oD&D Basic red box. You fight Bargle in both adventures in it, from memory. He kills Aleena...so sad...

He's also a fixture of the Black Eagle Barony and a crony of von Hendriks in Karameikos in Mystara/Known World before wars and adventurers muck things up.

Ludwig and Bargle are kind of like Dastardly and Muttley, if you will. :D

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
The Serge said:

Heh heh heh. Yeah, I took the Scarred Lands guys out, and thought about you, Nightfall! Heh heh heh...

:D

Figures but like I said, I'm sticking with Orcus. He's da'DEMON Prince! :)

But if it were me, I'd probably go Travik. Anyone that can get the powers of ultimate blackguard and NOT have levels in paladin ROCKS! :)

anowack

First Post
Ooh, this is a tough one... I thought I knew who it would be, but someone had to mention good old Ludwig and Bargle. I almost cried when they got booted out of Karameikos.

However, I think I will go with my original inclination (who Bargle actually works for in my campaign)... none other than the incomparable Lord of Lies, Hosadus the Master of Hule and High Priest of Bozdogon the Deciever (also known as Loki, though this Loki is considerably more evil than the "real world" Loki).

There really is nothing quite like watching your players lead bloody fighting on the steps of the Merchant's Guildhall in Darokin City, desperately trying to buy a few more hours in hopes that relief forces from Karameikos will arrive in time to force back the beseiging army.

Sources, BTW, are modules X4: Master of the Desert Nomads, X5: The Temple of Death, and X10: Red Arrow, Black Shield, as well as The Immortals' Fury campaign from the Wrath of the Immortals boxset.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Tharzdun..he's a greater god for pete's sake. He can turn your brain to tapioca pudding and then enslave you. Hell he made Zugotmy, IUZ, and Lolth his puppets.

He=Teh winnah!!

Larloch ownz, Sasz Tamm is like a son to him.. in a evil.. disgusting... rotting.. undead.. lichie .. kinda way......... not to forget powerhungry.

Anyone who is treated as overpowerfull and as a kind of father by Sasz Tam must be great evil, he must inspire him.. and to inspire and impress and make Sasz Tam feel scared... you're goood... and you play among the greatest...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads