• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The coolest, classic D&D BBEG!

The BEST classic D&D BBEG!

• Acererak the Devourer, Tomb of Horrors

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Asmodeus, King of the Nine Hells

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Azalin, Dark Lord of Darkon, Ravenloft

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Bane, The Black Hand of the Forgotten Realms

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Cyric, The Dark Sun of the Forgotten Realms

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Demogorgon, Prince of Demons

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Dispater, Lord of the Second Hell

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Errtu, Balor Demon foe of Drizzt DoUrden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Graz'zt, Demon Prince of the Triple Realm

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Lolth, Demon Queen of Spiders

Votes: 22 10.6%
  • Orcus, Demon Prince of Undeath

Votes: 22 10.6%
  • Raistlin, Master of Past and Present in Dragonlance

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Strahd, Dark Lord of Barovia, Ravenloft

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Takhisis/Tiamat, The Dragon Queen

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Tharizdun, The Dark God, Greyhawk

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • Vecna, the Lord of Secrets, Greyhawk

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Zuggtymoy, The Demon Lady of Fungus

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Other (indicate who/what below)

Votes: 11 5.3%

WombleHunter

First Post
hong said:

Yeah. Bane can kill anyone he wants!!!! Bane cuts off heads all the time and doesn't even think twice about it.

Also, Bane is a mammal.

Hong "loves Bane with all of his body (including his pee pee)" Ooi

Yes. Bane is cool. And by cool, I mean totally sweet. Bane fights ALL the time.

WombleHunter

First Post
hong said:

Yeah. Bane can kill anyone he wants!!!! Bane cuts off heads all the time and doesn't even think twice about it.

Also, Bane is a mammal.

Hong "loves Bane with all of his body (including his pee pee)" Ooi

Yes. Bane is cool. And by cool, I mean totally sweet. Bane fights ALL the time.

Leopold said:
Tharzdun..he's a greater god for pete's sake. He can turn your brain to tapioca pudding and then enslave you. Hell he made Zugotmy, IUZ, and Lolth his puppets.
Bah! Acererak is the only logical choice. What other villain arranges it so that when you do battle with him you are either naked or of the opposite gender then when you started (or both). Killing people is easy. Forcing the do-gooders to battle in the nude takes panache.

johnsemlak

First Post
I'd like to throw the Master of the Desert Nomads villian, Hosadus, from X4, 5 and X10.

His X5 stats weren't all that awesome, but it was a module for mid level charaters. Still, I thought it was a creative module and an interesting enemy.

I'm not sure I'd pick Hosadus over classics like Vecna, Lloth, or Tiamat (I've narrowed my vote to those three, I think), but The Master is worth of consideration, IMO.

Falcmir

First Post
Come on it has to be Vecna!!! He's like missing an eye and a hand man, that's just nasty, and like the sword guy betrayed him or something that rocks!!!!!

(Quotes from me and my gaming group circa 1985)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
The Serge said:
And Nightfall, this Blackguard you mention... Who is he?

Duke Travik. He's the ruler of Lageni, a country that's apart of the Calastian Hegemony. He's a Aristocrat 5/Ranger 5/Blackguard 10.
He is the Favored of Chardun, thus granting him fallen paladin levels to add to his blackguard power even though he's never BEEN a paladin.

Zog

First Post
Horray for Bargle and The Master of the Nomads!

Ah, now that is classic!

3e really needs someone like Bargle - A villian who exists, is encountered, and most likely makes their escape to be used again at the DM disgression.

Although, for the record, I rolled a 19 on my save, and slew Bargle. :) Now if only I could remember the name I gave that fighter....

Tratyn Runewind

First Post
Hi again!

Posted by radferth:
BTW, my vote for least cool (and oldest) classic BBEG goes to....
Asperdies (sp?).
As only the truly decrepit among us are likely to remember, he is lich that appears in the middle of old module D1 with no background and for no reason.

At the risk of displaying my decrepitude... ;)

That would be Asberdies. And yes, no explanation of his presence is given in the module. On the other hand, to paraphrase the old joke:

Q: Where does a 20th-level lich hang out?

A: Anywhere he wants...

I doubt any of the low-rent drow flunkies or kuo-toa cultists in the module would care to start up the eviction proceedings on him. :D

And here's another one I should have thought of earlier - not world-specific, though I suppose she goes to Greyhawk more or less out of default for the time of her first D&D appearance:

Baba Yaga, she of the Dancing Hut. As I've mentioned before, I became truly impressed with her when her write-up (in the Dragon module) pointed out that she never bothered using calling diagrams when summoning infernal creatures, because they all knew her by sight and wouldn't dare cross her... :eek:

She'd also go nicely into the backwoods of Karameikos or Boldavia in Mystara, or the wilds of the Vos lands in Birthright.

So, there's one more villainous hat into the ring... :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads