• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Crown of Endless Sorrows

Celebrim

Legend
I'm going to go against the general grain here and say I think the Crown is well named - I can think of few things more likely to create endless sorrows than this object.

I think an object like this would destroy not only everyone around it, but the user as well. I think the object will be associated with an endless series of Greek tragedies. I think this is the sort of artifact that would end up dominating a world's history, and be seen as the world's greatest curse - sort of like the Coke bottle in 'The Gods Must be Crazy'.

There are of course ways to make it even more hideous, and as an artifact goes this is a very bare bones description. All artifacts in my opinion need multiple primary and secondary powers, as well as multiple malevolent effects and side effects.

If I was designing such an item, I think I'd want to make the mind control effect either immediately or ultimately involuntary. The person wearing the crown doesn't decide to invoke the power, everyone he looks at eventually becomes unservingly worshipful of him.

And if I was designing a malevolent effect for the crown, the one I'm most attracted to at the moment is the idea that the wearer becomes paranoid, and begins to interpret even the slightest dissent, unconformity, and independent initiative as evidence of hidden disloyalty.

kitcik

Adventurer
Which was an excellent satirical movie ;)

So I was walking down the street one day after (high) school (like 30 years ago) with some friends, when we came upon a bunhc of protesters in front of a movie theter showing "The Gods Must Be Crazy."

None of us had ever heard of the movie, let alone why anyone would be protesting it.

Naturally, we grabbed signs and joined the protest line, screaming "This movie is racist, don't go in!" repeatedly for about an hour before we bagged it and got ice cream (it was summer).

I never saw the movie, but I at least now know what it was about...

Celebrim

Legend
The Crown of Endless Sorrows

The crown is made of 12 linked gold segments, each square and about 2" on a side, and topped with a point culminating in a small ring. Each segment is joined to the two on the either side so that the angle they make can vary by a few degrees. At the center of each segment is a square setting holding an exceptional square cut jewel of about 50 carats, in order: an emerald, a citrine, an aquamarine, a ruby, an onyx, a topaz, a peridot, a garnet, a white diamond, an amesthyst, a sapphire, and a pink diamond. Cunningly sewn to the inside of the 12 segments is a padded black satin pillow about 1/3" in thickness. Those that wear the crown universally find that it is quite comfortable, and the crown will shape itself to conform to the head of almost any small or medium-sized creature. Wearers of the crown examining their image in a mirror will feel that it becomes them, and that it was perhaps made for someone specifically of their appearance. Appraised on its value as a peice of jewelry alone, the crown is worth approximately 60,000 g.p. and it an attractive and desirable possession on that basis alone.

Secondary Powers, usable 1 per round at will
-----------------------------------
1) Quickened Silent Still Detect Thoughts
2) Quickened Silent Suggestion
3) Quickened Greater Command
4) +10 Enchantment bonus on all Intimidate skill checks (always active)

Primary Powers, usable 1 per round at will
-----------------------------------
1) Quickened Silent Still Mind Rape, 3/day
2) Quickened Silent Mass Suggestion, 3/day
3) Demand, 3/day

Side Effects, always active
---------------------------
1) As an involuntary gaze attack effecting all within a 150' cone, the target must make a DC 25 Will save or have his memory modified so that he believes he has always been a loyal subject of the wearer of the Crown. These memories are detailed and specific to the affected character, and replace any memories of disloyalty or hostility to the wearer of the crown. The target's attitude toward the wearer of the crown is immediately changed to Fanatical, so that they gain a +2 moral bonus to Strength and Constitution scores, +1 morale bonus to Will saves, and a -1 penalty to AC whenever fighting on behalf of the Crown's wearer. Thereafter the affected character will act as if they have been permanently Charmed, and these effects will continue even if the original owner of the crown loses it. Loyalty is not transferred to a new wearer except by failure to save against this power. No amount of mistreatment by the person who obtained their loyality and no action by them will ever lower the affected person's attitude to the crown's wearer to less than Friendly, and any show of benevolence or approval by the Crown's wearer toward the affected person immediately returns the affected person's attitude to Fanatic. Successfully saving againsts this ability renders the person immune for 24 hours. Only a wish, miracle, or mind rape spell can normally cancel these effects completely, however, the effect is immediately and completely dispelled whenever the effected party commits an act which is (at the discrestion of the DM) a complete and irreversible betrayal of everything the person believed in prior to being enchanted. At such time, all suppressed memories return as well as realization of the reality of the person's situation, however no immunity to future and even immediate reenchantment is granted.
2) The wearer of the Crown is immune to all Mind Effecting magic save those originating from the crown itself.

All powers cast as a 25th level sorcerer with a 24 Charisma.

The Crown itself has a hardness of 50, 15 hit points, SR 25, and only fails saves any saving throw on a 2. It is completely immune to spells of the divination, enchantment and transformation schools. The crown is a neutral evil artifact, but radiates no detectable aura. If destroyed in some fashion, all parties responcible must make a DC 29 Will save or be subject to a Mind Rape spell leaving them permenently insane and which alters their memories so that they believe that the destruction of the crown was a complete betrayal of everything they ever believed, and that they are themselves utterly loathesome individuals. Further their true loyalties are reversed so that they believe that the persons that they love most in the world are foul treacherous beings worthy only of a painful death. In such situations, most affected persons either try to commit suicide, or first try to murder everyone once loved or everyone they believe responcible for the destruction of the crown and then commit suicide. The crown itself always reforms one week after being 'destroyed'.

Malevolent Effects
------------------
1) The wearer of the Crown suffers a -2 penalty to Wisdom, Constitution, and Charisma. These effects are immediate, but subtle and not generally noticible by the Crowns wearer or an observer. Removing the crown initially removes these penalties. However, after one week of owning the crown, the wearer will feel mild lethargia and close observers who know the wearer well will see signs of subtle premature aging - greying hair, wrinkles, stooped posture, and the penalties remain for one week even if the crown is not donned during that time. After one year, the penalties become permanent and cannot be reversed without a Wish or Miracle.

2) Any offspring born to the Crown's owner during the time of ownership are born with a permenant -2 penalty to Wisdom, Constitution, and Charisma. These penalties are permenant and cannot be reversed without a Wish or Miracle, and even then they immediately - as part of the Crown's curse - return the moment the Crown is redonned by the parent.

3) Immediately after invoking any primary power, the wearer of the Crown begins to gradually lose their sanity, so that they become paranoid and suspicious of anyone taking independent initiative, any sign of dissent, any failure to conform to their wishes (even those they haven't made known), and any failure to perfectly please them. Under this paranoid suspicion the owner treats any unease with the crown as an attack on themselves.

4) The Crown is a semi-sentient item with the special purpose of creating and spreading misery. The item is very subtle in its effects, extraordinarily patient, and hides its abilities and purpose, whenever possible, never doing anything overt so as make evident its active role. When not in use, it is capable of using any of his secondary or primary powers other than its gaze attack independently on any target within range, including its wearer, as if it had unlimited and unblockable line of sight. If abandoned, it will use its Demand power to attempt to attract attention to itself so as to find a new wearer, otherwise it uses its powers only to sublty push events in the direction it considers most likely to be tragic. It generally will not use any of its primary powers unless it does not believe that the usage will be missed, for example, after the wearer has fallen asleep or at the immediate end of the day, or if necessary to preserve its existance. The Crown has no ability to communicate with anyone, save through the use of its Demand power, but it generally can hear anyone nearby thinking about it by continual application of its detect thoughts ability and acts accordingly.

Permanent Destruction
---------------------
The crown can only be permenently destroyed by the direct action of a descendent of the crown's current wearer, and only while the crown is worn, and only if the destruction results in the death of the crown's wearer. The Crown retains its immunities against any attack against it, and as well will attempt to use its powers to prevent this eventuality by any possible means, up to and including acting in a way so as to cause its wearer's suicide, thereby thwarting the would be destroyer's efforts.

Last edited:

Empath Negative

First Post
tumblr_mb0lposEh81r08ia1.gif

Dandu

First Post
So I was walking down the street one day after (high) school (like 30 years ago) with some friends, when we came upon a bunhc of protesters in front of a movie theter showing "The Gods Must Be Crazy."

None of us had ever heard of the movie, let alone why anyone would be protesting it.

Naturally, we grabbed signs and joined the protest line, screaming "This movie is racist, don't go in!" repeatedly for about an hour before we bagged it and got ice cream (it was summer).

I never saw the movie, but I at least now know what it was about...

The film's main flaws are that it portrays the bushmen as more naive than they actually were and is inaccurate about their society.

Of course, the main character is a bushman, and the film spends a good deal of time making fun of the white South Africans he finds himself with, so it's no Birth of a Nation.

Remove ads