• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The current state of fantasy literature

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
takyris said:
"You know, I'm coming close to writing stuff I wouldn't want to read out of a desire to be seen as Good and Intriguing by all the writing folks I hang out with. I need to bring back the fun goofy stuff I'm actually good at."
Dude, I went right through that milestone myself. I suspect it'll come round again.

My wife (working on her novel) has a big post-it note attached to her computer monitor: "This is supposed to be FUN!"

I bet you get that.
takyris said:
One of the reasons I actually finish novels is the fact that I'm not afraid to write a really lousy first draft.
It's very hard to get anything done if you aren't afraid to suck. I figured out pretty early on that I was basically going to suck at everything. Which has made it much easier for me to do all sorts of stuff, cause when I find out I suck at it, it doesn't surprise me.
takyris said:
Coach fights kick ASS.
Yes. Yes, yes, they do.

Mallus

Legend
Joshua Dyal said:
I don't know (and I'm not saying) that you or anyone else on this thread is a literary snob, but I think it's not particularly useful to pretend that such people don't exist.
Sure, literary snobs exist, but what's the point in talking about them?

Its much more interesting to do as BC suggests and create an environment where people people can discuss their differing repsonses to different works with the goal of mutual enlightment and enjoyment. Without resorting to words like 'snob', 'jaded', or 'bug-f*** crazy'.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Mallus said:
Its much more interesting to do as BC suggests and create an environment where people people can discuss their differing repsonses to different works with the goal of mutual enlightment and enjoyment. Without resorting to words like 'snob', 'jaded', or 'bug-f*** crazy'.
Yeah, but who wants to be in an environment where we can't call each other 'bug-f*** crazy'?

You crazy bug-f***er. :D

Sorry, but 'bug-f*** carzy' has to be one of my favourite epithets of all time. Hee.

RiggsWolfe

First Post
mmadsen said:
Can you tell us which works bored you? I can certainly understand finding Tolkien slow. A pulp editor would have cut the whole Lord of the Rings down to The Hobbit's size. And, as much as I loved The Worm Ouroboros, if you don't enjoy ancient sagas translated into King James' English, the language will kill you. Similarly, Lord Dunsany's works may drip with poetry and metaphor, but they don't drip with bloody action.

I can't imagine finding Robert E. Howard's works slow or boring though. I also can't imagine finding Edgar Rice Burrough's stories slow; you may find them corny and dated, but certainly not slow.

I never have liked Kings James versions of anything. Probably came from my exposure to it in the bible as a child. ;) In fact, I blame King James for my early aversion to Shakespeare, though as I got older I grew to really like Shakespeare, especially once I figured out the rhythm to reading it.

To be honest, most of the classics I read I read so long ago I don't truly remember any. I remember Ray Bradbury had about a fifty percent success rate with me. Some of his stuff I liked. Some of it I found really, really bizzare. George Orwell tended to move slow for me, though I do admit I blazed through Around the World in 80 Days. I think part of it is there was a cultural difference back when these classics were written and as you said it makes them dated and corny. Perhaps that is what I have trouble getting past.

RiggsWolfe

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
I have read both Conan and Elric and I disliked both. Fantasy and sci fi are really a matter of taste.

Personally, I lament the death of science fiction. Very few people still write sf and most of those are in the magazines. Star Wars and Star Trek have killed most of the original sf. Heck, you should read the article by John Kessel sometime about the Death of Science Fiction.

Fantasy is easy to write in comparison because you do not need to do near as much research as a sf novel.

Dave

I have never read either, though I suspect from reading a summary of the Elric novels that they'd depress the hell out of me. I'm not a big fan of masochist fiction, IE, the main character suffers constantly.

As for Sci-Fi, the only recent Sci-Fi I can think of that I read and liked that wasn't Star Wars (I long ago bored of Star Trek novels) are Honor Harrington and the Deathstalker series. (Though I haven't picked up the last two Deathstalker books.)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
RiggsWolfe said:
George Orwell tended to move slow for me, though I do admit I blazed through Around the World in 80 Days.
That would be Jules Verne. A much better story-teller than ol' George.

It's funny readin Around the World in 80 Days when you have some political context -- watching the philosophical and still pragmatic French servant save the day for his fussy, stuck-up, egotistical English employer is pretty comical.

Wrath of the Swarm

Banned
Banned
There's also the very important point that works that were highly influential inevitably negated their own worth. If someone's performance raises the bar, it follows that what was once an exceptional work is now the bare minimum.

There was a time when stream-of-consciousness was absolutely revolutionary. Now we take it for granted, and we no longer realize how brilliant the author of the first work to feature it was.

RiggsWolfe

First Post
barsoomcore said:
What makes you think I'm jaded? What makes you think I have ceased to have fun? What gives you this deep insight into other people's motivations?

You don't know. You're attacking a whole class of people, not because you know anything, but for some reason of your own -- but in any event you're doing so without a shred of evidence.[\quote]

Actually, I have never commented on your specific reading habits one way or another. I have generalized the argument into what I believe it is. You disagree, it is your right. I am not sure why you're getting so defensive about it.

Are some people snobs? Yep, they sure are. It is NOT snobbish, however, to state one's tastes. If somebody says "Borges rocks and King sucks" they're not being a snob, they're just telling you what they like. If somebody says "Only jaded cynics like Borges" then they're being a snob.

However it is not being said that "Borges rocks and King sucks" it is being implied that if you like King and not Borges then you must like inferior trash rather than classics. Rocks/sucks arguments happen all the time. But when a group tries to imply not that "King sucks" but that King's fiction is inferior to Borge's fiction and with it, carry a implication that those who like it aren't discerning readers well....

The difference between Liberals and Tories is that they share different opinions on how political decisions ought to be made. If you want to say that some people enjoy intellectual stimulation and some people do not, I have no argument. But to pretend that you know people's motivations is just silly, because we all know you don't.[\quote]

Again, you're getting defensive. I find that interesting. Let me say it again, I've never commented about your specific reading habits.

You don't enjoy intellectual stimulation when you read. Well and good. Like I have said, everybody has their own joys and thank heavens for that.[\quote]

I didn't say I don't enjoy intellectual stimulation. I said it's not the reason I read. I read for enjoyment. If I get intellectual stimulation, that's an added bonus.

Here's the thing, though. EVERYBODY'S a moderate, in some way, shape or form. Creating artificial distinctions like this only makes it harder to hear what somebody's saying, because now they have to overcome your tendency to lump them into a group. They have to first demonstrate why they don't just fall into one of these categories before they can even get listened to.

Categorization (generalization) like this inhibits communication.
[\quote]

This statement is hard to respond to. You seem to imply that you think I said somebody is wholly in one camp or another. Interestingly enough I didn't. Of course noone is TOTALLY in one camp or another. (Though if we're talking politics, people like Rush Limbaugh would say a moderate is a Liberal who just won't own up to it. If we're talking our general debate, I suppose a moderate is a member of one of these proposed camps who won't own up to it.)

Exceptions DON'T prove the rule. They do the opposite. A rule that admits to exceptions isn't a rule at all, it's a false generalization.[\quote]

Ok. We're not talking physics here where one false result in an experiment means that the theory you're trying to test is false. We're talking what is essentially an academic debate. Just because some people straddle a line doesn't mean the line doesn't exist. It means that yes, there are shades of gray. However, shades of gray are very difficult to argue. It's alot easier to generalize two different sides and go with the assumption that to some extent most people belong to one side or another. To somewhat steal your quote about moderates, noone is Truly a moderate. Everyone has some kind of an opinion one way or the other.

So what? As I have noted, the fact that we're talking about subjective opinions doesn't mean we can't have meaningful debates. Convince me that there really are two kinds of readers and that only one kind reads for enjoyment.

Note that I'm not saying NOBODY reads for something other than enjoyment. I'm saying that since it's impossible to know why anybody does anything, using such speculations as evidence for any conclusions is pointless. Much more useful and fun and interesting is for you to tell me what you like or dislike and why. Why don't you like Hemingway? What makes Asimov so great? Those are opinions about which we can have useful conversations.

I don't like Hemingway because I find his novels hard to read and they are from a viewpoint I don't particularly empathize with. Reading Hemingway to me is like being told a story by a very wordy old man and it's not even an interesting story. I like Asimov because despite being writtenin the 1950's it still feels "modern". In addition, I have never felt like Asimov was condescending to me.

RiggsWolfe

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Although you also make a great counterpoint -- brushing off the "classics" as without merit because only "snobs like that kind of stuff" is just as snobbish. ;)

Note I have never said the classics are without merit. I've said I don't particularly enjoy most of them. Even Lord of the Rings I've only read twice as compared to some more modern series I have read probably half a dozen times. I am not sure WHY I don't. I think it is a different feel, sometimes the classics feel to me like they were written by these kind of stuffy gentlemen who would faint if you said a curse word in front of them or something. Who knows...

Remove ads