The D&D Shared Universe We're Already Playing

Multimedia titans have noticed that success of Marvel's shared superhero universe, which replicates the comic model of characters crossing over into other arcs to create a web of stories that spiral into infinity. Hasbro has also taken note, and it looks like the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movies are planned to take a similar approach. The concept of a shared universe is a key part of D&D today, but it wasn't always that way.

Multimedia titans have noticed that success of Marvel's shared superhero universe, which replicates the comic model of characters crossing over into other arcs to create a web of stories that spiral into infinity. Hasbro has also taken note, and it looks like the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movies are planned to take a similar approach. The concept of a shared universe is a key part of D&D today, but it wasn't always that way.

[h=3]A Small Army[/h]The Original Dungeons & Dragons rules, itself inspired by Chainmail, which was a miniature wargaming rules set, largely reflected the style of wargaming play that was common at the time. And that style involved a lot of people, because players were involved in a wide variety of armies that required quite a bit of management. This style of play -- at co-creator Gary Gygax's very large sand table -- carried over to D&D, which included so many people that it required a caller. What's a caller? RPGExchange explains:

In early D&D it wasn't uncommon to have a dozen or more players in one gaming session. The role of the caller was primarily a table role: they were the liaison between the giant mob of players and the DM. The role of the caller allowed the responsibilities of table management, player organisation, maintaining speaking courtesies and discipline, and consensus-building in terms of course of action, to be devolved from the DM's chair onto one of the players. The chaos of having "What do you do?" answered with a babble of a dozen or fifteen voices all talking over each other is instead replaced by a single speaker for the player-group.

In essence, early D&D games could potentially be so large that it was necessary to have someone representing the small army of players at the table so the DM knew who to listen to. Later editions slimmed down the number of players involved, likely bounded by the smaller number of players that were available.

Gygax recognized this limitation, but also saw the benefit of players joining each other's disparate groups, as later editions would demonstrate.
[h=3]A Common Language[/h]The original D&D boxed set was a bare bones outline of how to play D&D -- simple, effective, but open to interpretation. As a result, an entire industry sprung up to modify the game to suit individual players' tastes, as expressed in the fanzine Alarums & Excursions. Gygax, who supported customization at first, later changed his tune. Fragmentation was becoming a concern. Gygax planned to fix that with Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, as quoted in Dragon Magazine #26:

Because D&D allowed such freedom, because the work itself said so, because the initial batch of DMs were so imaginative and creative, because the rules were incomplete, vague and often ambiguous, D&D has turned into a non-game. That is, there is so much variation between the way the game is played from region to region, state to state, area to area, and even from group to group within a metropolitan district, there is no continuity and little agreement as to just what the game is and how best to play it. Without destroying the imagination and individual creativity which go into a campaign, AD&D rectifies the shortcomings of D&D. There are few grey areas in AD&D, and there will be no question in the mind of participants as to what the game is and is all about. There is form and structure to AD&D, and any variation of these integral portions of the game will obviously make it something else.

Gygax laid out his intent in the introduction to the AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide:

As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be.

TSR certainly had a vested financial interest in keeping the new version of D&D penned within certain boundaries -- creating an "official" set of rules through Dragon Magazine and published books distinguished it from its competitors. But Gygax was also trying to create a massive shared meta-universe in which players could move their characters between them.

This fragmentation of its player base would ultimately be part of TSR's downfall, as TSR published so many incompatible worlds that players no longer recognized each other's games. TSR attempted to correct this with universe-spanning campaigns like Spelljammer and Planescape, but it wasn't enough to save the company. The idea of a shared universe predates the publication of AD&D however.
[h=3]A Thousand-Person Campaign[/h]The concept of a shared gaming world goes back as far as 1976, when Keith Abbott planned a campaign called Loera. It would feature 55 Dungeon Masters, each controlling an area 600 miles on a side, working with approximately 20 players. It was, in essence, a thousand-person campaign. It didn't quite work out that way, as reported by Jon Peterson:

In the early days of Dungeons & Dragons, as people recognized the world-building possibilities in the game, naturally some would feel the call to build world-sized structures, a goal that was out of reach at the time. But the possibility was built into the way that people thought about role-playing games, pretty much from the start.

Players might recognize this format in living campaigns:

Living Campaigns are a gaming format within the table-top role-playing game community that provide the opportunity for play by an extended community within a shared universe. In contrast to traditional isolated role-playing games, living campaigns allow and encourage players to develop characters that can be played at games run by many different game masters, but which share a game world and campaign setting, as well as a plot line that is overseen by a central core of professional or volunteer editors and contributors. Many living campaigns serve a dual role of providing a creative outlet for highly involved volunteer contributors while also serving as a marketing tool for the publisher of the game system that is the focus of the living campaign.

Living Campaigns were replaced by Wizards of the Coast with the Adventurers League; Paizo has its own Organized Play for Pathfinder.
[h=3]Art Imitates Life[/h]Collider reports that the movies are planning to take a similar approach as Marvel's multimedia universe -- an approach that should sound familiar to D&D fans. Producer Roy Lee thinks a multi-universe approach is a possibility for for future D&D films:

“I think it will really be moving forward quickly, and I don’t anticipate it not getting greenlit this year, mostly because Warner Bros. has DC now, and LEGO, and the Harry Potter universe that’s being cultivated as their franchises. I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds.”

Given that the Yawning Portal will feature prominently, it's likely an approach similar to Planescape might tie all the film universes together. This isn't a guarantee for success of course -- Universal's shared Dark Universe (featuring its monster franchises) may be the first casualty -- but if the D&D movies are successful, they may end up right back where D&D started: a massively shared universe where everyone plays the same game.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Shayuri

First Post
In terms of player characters, spellcasters are common. In terms fictional world lore, that's usually not the case. Player characters represent, in worldbuilding theory at least, a non-representative sample of the population. :)

I imagine a movie, for reasons both budgetary and to maintain relatability with non-genre viewers, would probably not be as magic-heavy as most RPG player-character groups. :)

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Well there is the fact that I know 3E cold, while I have to keep flipping through the 5E books to get every rule right, there are too many rules different for me to take anything for granted. Pathfinder has just a few rules that have been altered from the original D&D 3E. In general, I think Game designers get too creative with the rules, they change too many things, because they want to leave their mark on the game that they have created. A lot of the rules changes are just so the game would be different from the previous edition, that is my opinion. Also 3E had the Monsters, the Player Characters, and the NPCs all in the same format, 5E doesn't, 4E doesn't. Theoretically, any monster from the 3E monster manual or the Pathfinder Bestiary, could be a player character! Some monsters start at higher level than first because of their hit dice, but they could be played, their stats could be put in all the right places on a 3rd edition player character sheet.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Wait, what? You're seriously going to claim that 3e is LESS complicated than 5e? And it takes you longer to create a 5e character than a 5e one? :uhoh: Really?
Well there is the fact that I know 3E cold, while I have to keep flipping through the 5E books to get every rule right, there are too many rules different for me to take anything for granted. Pathfinder has just a few rules that have been altered from the original D&D 3E. In general, I think Game designers get too creative with the rules, they change too many things, because they want to leave their mark on the game that they have created. A lot of the rules changes are just so the game would be different from the previous edition, that is my opinion. Also 3E had the Monsters, the Player Characters, and the NPCs all in the same format, 5E doesn't, 4E doesn't. Theoretically, any monster from the 3E monster manual or the Pathfinder Bestiary, could be a player character! Some monsters start at higher level than first because of their hit dice, but they could be played, their stats could be put in all the right places on a 3rd edition player character sheet.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
In terms of player characters, spellcasters are common. In terms fictional world lore, that's usually not the case. Player characters represent, in worldbuilding theory at least, a non-representative sample of the population. :)

I imagine a movie, for reasons both budgetary and to maintain relatability with non-genre viewers, would probably not be as magic-heavy as most RPG player-character groups. :)

How about the original Dragonlance Chronicles? Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning? No one ever attempted to make a Dragonlance movie, they did do a cartoon of the first book. I think the Game Designers got "itchy" and they changed Krynn around a lot, so its hard to keep track of all the changes to the World they constantly made, I am familiar with these first three books however, I think they would make great movies if done properly.

DerKastellan

Explorer
Well there is the fact that I know 3E cold.

So, that seems to be the main factor, really. That's a complaint you can lever against any new game system that you haven't playing for a decade or more. Unsurprisingly, D&D character creation gets faster the more often you do it.

The thing about handling monsters and characters differently ... Yes, I could agree on that. 3e had a good, workable system for modifying monsters with templates, leveling them, etc. That is sorely missed by DMs trying to take core monsters and build more varied challenges out of them. But the same stat block or having monsters as the same "kind of thing" as PCs really did nothing for character creation - just for the sake of argument.

In reality you need to make very few decisions in making a level 1 PC in 5e. There's no dramatic page-flipping involved, either. The race options are in the race chapter. Pick. Move on. The class options are all under their respective class, and since major path decision are usually delayed till 2nd or 3rd level, you just have to copy the default set. That's character creation to me. I have been making 5e characters using an Excel provided here on ENWorld for years and the information needed to play the character usually fit easily in there. So that's also not an issue.

You can fault 5e for many things, but character creation? Nah...

Sos Rope

First Post
Yeah, nothing new under the sun. I'm collecting all the 5e books because they're nice, and it's fun to get a little inspiration, but frankly the Realms are mediocre and weird. Shared universes are just a fancy name for "stack the IP high and sell it fast"...

Hussar

Legend
How about the original Dragonlance Chronicles? Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning? No one ever attempted to make a Dragonlance movie, they did do a cartoon of the first book. I think the Game Designers got "itchy" and they changed Krynn around a lot, so its hard to keep track of all the changes to the World they constantly made, I am familiar with these first three books however, I think they would make great movies if done properly.

Sorry, again, nope.

DL got changed around a lot by novel writers, and there were a LOT of novel writers.

Mechanically, there aren't actually that many DL books. You've got the original modules, 1 in late 1e or early 2e with Dragonlance adventures, and then Margaret Weiss Productions pumped out a handful in the 3e days, mostly to update the setting to follow the couple of hundred DL novels that have come out over the years.

Von Ether

Legend
Well there is the fact that I know 3E cold, while I have to keep flipping through the 5E books to get every rule right, there are too many rules different for me to take anything for granted. Pathfinder has just a few rules that have been altered from the original D&D 3E.

"The charts are on the wrong pages!" was a complaint a friend of mine had about AD&D. I also know people who claim that 12 mech vs 12 mech Battle tech is fast and easy because they never have to look at a chart or open a book. As players, we forget how much we internalize the system. It also gives us strange comfort zones.*

Unless you are one of the very few players who don't consider all the generic/class/racial feat, prestige class and weapon choices for all 20 levels, there are literally many more choices to make compared to 5e. And from what I have seen of other PF players, that is usually their gripe with 5e -- a lack of "decision points." There's a good chance that you have memorized the best builds or building blocks and forgotten pages and pages of chaff.

Theoretically, any monster from the 3E monster manual or the Pathfinder Bestiary, could be a player character! Some monsters start at higher level than first because of their hit dice, but they could be played, their stats could be put in all the right places on a 3rd edition player character sheet.

1st and 2nd also didn't. That makes 3e the outlier. 5e took a bit from every edition.

Theoretically, any monster from the 3E monster manual or the Pathfinder Bestiary, could be a player character! Some monsters start at higher level than first because of their hit dice, but they could be played, their stats could be put in all the right places on a 3rd edition player character sheet.

That didn't work out so well in practice unless you had a very savvy DM who could say "no" to the crazier options. In World of Darkness 1e, you were also supposed to have all the supernatural PC races play in the same game. Sometimes game makers imply benefits that don't materialize.

*Mutants and Masterminds has no hit points and uses a GURPS/HERO point buy system, but people will consider it before trying out something like Fantasy Age that uses 3d6 because using 3d6 is "weird." It's also one of the main causes of losing new blood as gamer with rules mastery either snub newbies or try to drown them with too much too soon (as a way to avoid playing too "basic" until the new people catch up.) I've seen spouses bring out laptops and spreadsheets to get their significant other up to speed on Pathfinder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads