D&D Movie/TV The D&D versions of Theros, Ravnica, and Arcvios should be seperate from the MtG versions.

aco175

Legend
I'm not familiar with the Magic versions since I do not play Magic anymore. I would guess that as time goes on and the Magic version is not supported anymore, the D&D version will grow into its own. Likely also depend on the amount of support from the D&D side. I have not bought these books either, so I kind of see them as side campaigns where some people like them, but Wizards will drop them over time like Dark Sun or such.

Now you shouldn't worry because actually the metaplot has been totally frozen, but in FR.

And that will be the choise by Hasbro if later the cinematographic universe need a reboot.

Just like the Boom Comics storyline and the hypothetical Netflix cartoon are seperate canons, I would like the MtG D&D crossover to be seperate from the main MtG setting, which in some ways they already are.

Thoughts?
Are they not separate already? There's no particular indication in the Theros one that it follows ongoing MtG canon, and Strixhaven is rather different to the MtG version to start with, seeming far more chill and way less competitive and edgy.

Are they not separate already? There's no particular indication in the Theros one that it follows ongoing MtG canon, and Strixhaven is rather different to the MtG version to start with, seeming far more chill and way less competitive and edgy.

and Strixhaven also has Tieflings, Halflings, Dragonborn, etc..., and no indication of those races being added to none D&D MtG sets.

But I'd love an official statement on this.

If anyone is curious why I want this, all indications are that March of the Machines ruin these settings, killing off almost all the professors, killing off Heliod and likely Eberos, Purphoros, Thassa, and Nylea, maybe others. Ravnica got off lightly this time, but War of the Spark took out a bunch of their Guild Masters. And even before that they replaced Raza with Aurelia which I didn't like, but that ship sailed before GMGtR was published.

If anyone is curious why I want this, all indications are that March of the Machines ruin these settings, killing off almost all the professors, killing off Heliod and likely Eberos, Purphoros, Thassa, and Nylea, maybe others. Ravnica got off lightly this time, but War of the Spark took out a bunch of their Guild Masters. And even before that they replaced Raza with Aurelia which I didn't like, but that ship sailed before GMGtR was published.
That does not answer the question "why I want this". Is the official MtG storyline part of your D&D campaign set in one (or more) of those settings?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just like the Boom Comics storyline and the hypothetical Netflix cartoon are seperate canons, I would like the MtG D&D crossover to be seperate from the main MtG setting, which in some ways they already are.

Thoughts?

Don't expect WotC to develop two different storylines for the same property.

On the other hand, I don't expect WotC to express any ongoing storyline in any of their settings other than maybe FR, and maybe not even there. They don't seem to be spending development effort on setting metaplots these days, and aren't doing a lot of support for individual settings.

Don't expect WotC to develop two different storylines for the same property.

On the other hand, I don't expect WotC to express any ongoing storyline in any of their settings other than maybe FR, and maybe not even there. They don't seem to be spending development effort on setting metaplots these days, and aren't doing a lot of support for individual settings.

They already did develop more then two different storylines for their MtG settings. Its established that in the MtG cartoon (if it ever happens), its a seperate timeline, Gideon is still alive in it.

The Boom Comics timeline is also set in a seperate timeline from the main MtG setting, its own story.

I'm just saying they should acknowledge that the versions in the D&D setting are tied to the D&D story and multiverse, not to the disaster that is MtG's ongoing story.

The presidence has already been set and honestly fits the D&D Books which has stuff that doesn't fit into the MtG versions of these settings.

And there is a slight metaplot to 5e, the Obilesks and that metaplot is getting ramped up, with Planescape and Vecna and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants er League of Malevence.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
It's always been a bit odd to have an ongoing meta plot line for specific settings when people are also encouraged to make those settings their own. I see it in video games as well with different possible endings. The authors of the sequel typically assume one ending no matter what ending you got in your play-through.

If a group played a campaign where they saved King-what's-his-name against all expectations that's awesome. But what happens when official canon is based on the common assumption that they died? How do you reconcile it? So bring in the multi-verse. Once you do that, there is no established canon that crosses every single group and there doesn't need to be.

Remove ads