The Dilemma of the Simple RPG

In my experience with contemporary college game clubs, there are many younger people who have not yet tried tabletop RPGs. I was also told that many of the players coming to the evening games at a local shop have been new to tabletop RPGs. This is different from my pre-Internet, pre-video gamegeneration (Boomers), where most game-minded people were exposed to D&D because it had so little competition for leisure time.

attachment.php

In my experience with contemporary college game clubs, there are many younger people who have not yet tried tabletop RPGs. I was also told that many of the players coming to the evening games at a local shop have been new to tabletop RPGs. This is different from my pre-Internet, pre-video gamegeneration (Boomers), where most game-minded people were exposed to D&D because it had so little competition for leisure time.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Another reason for the difference may be the “crunchiness” of many contemporary RPGs. That is, the fiddliness and time needed to generate a character and start actually playing the game is offputting. Then there is the difficulty of running a character because there are so many details and numbers (such as skills) involved. The rules interfere with the adventure.

Yet we continue to see the most popular RPGs loaded down with vast rulebooks. Unfortunately, the seeds of long-range destruction of any RPG edition are built into the capitalist economy.

You don't need a Ph.D. in history to know a lot can be explained if you "follow the money". To make money you need to sell product. If your primary business is RPGs you have to produce a game that is not only large but very extensible, so that you can sell additional rules. In the long run, that makes the game crunchy and unwieldy, dooms it to become too complex to appeal to the less than hard-core players.

Complexity may be a boon for some players. 3rd Edition D&D (3e) became "find rules somewhere that give me an advantage." This is a complete contrast to my advice to GMs dating back to the 70s: prevent players from gaining unearned advantages. When I GMed 3e I said "core rules only, no add-ons." When the highly-tinkered-by-additional-rules "one man armies" are present in a game, the more casual players are left behind in several ways.

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstien

Complex games also make the GM's job harder. As there are more rules, there's more work for the GM. The biggest problem of tabletop RPGs, compared with other games, is that GMing is work, not play. We need more GMs to "grow" the hobby, yet complex games with constant rules add-ons lead to fewer GMs available.

The typical course of events is that RPGs get more complex as more rules are added, until the entire edition is abandoned and a new one comes out. While D&D Second Edition wasn't much different than 1e, and many more or less ignored 2e (I did), each succeeding edition has changed the game drastically to help persuade players to buy the new version, coming full circle with 5e. In each case, a new edition led to lots of sales. And each was then subjected to the rising pyramid of additional rules.

Money talks. Unfortunately for RPGs, money argues for complexity, not simplicity.

contributed by Lewis Pulsipher
SaveSave

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Tomdeargentina

Villager
Sure, follow the money, see how a thousand lonely creators use any skeletal system and create 5 or then games a year while teams of creators take a year to make one with 400 pages. Less revenue pair unit certainly but more products and less investment. Follow the money indeed.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure, follow the money, see how a thousand lonely creators use any skeletal system and create 5 or then games a year while teams of creators take a year to make one with 400 pages. Less revenue pair unit certainly but more products and less investment. Follow the money indeed.
Just a note — this thread is 4 years old.

aramis erak

Legend
Going back through the thread...
I am having a hard time following the logic of this article. Perhaps I'm stupid and don't see what is obvious to others but there are a couple of things I don't understand.
First off, it's stated that there are more new players at events and clubs than there used to be, and less experienced players. Ok. That's fine. But... the reason for this is that rpg rules are too complex? I don't get it. How are those two things connected?
Next, this is put forth as an argument for simpler rules. Is many new players at clubs and events a bad thing? Doesn't that just mean that there's a lot of recruitment to the hobby, which would really be a good thing?
To sum up. There are mostly new players at events because rules are too complex. That's why the rules should be simpler, but they won't be because complex games are more popular and so make more money, and that's why the companies make the games complex.
I can't make sense of it.

EDIT: I get it now. I misread the first paragraph.
The longstanding debate about simple vs complex has been around since the release of Tunnels and Trolls in 1975.
Mr. Pulsipher's piece, due to his editorial limit, isn't easily parsed.
I can understand this point of view: there are simple and quick RPG systems that work pefectly well and that allow you to start playing purposefully in five minutes (lieterally). They would be perfect to involve new players and new game masters, but reality is that there is more money to make in complex games that appeal to hard core fans and scare away possible newcomers that may expand the number of gamers. More money in complex games means more opportunities to hire best creative talents for complex games.
Simple games have to go uphill.
One of the fastest games for new players to learn is WEG/Nocturnal's D6 system... a new player can have a new character in 5 minutes and be given a 5 minute intro, and be effective in play. It's a single resolution mechanic, very consistent (well, until the current edition, which added ads and disads; now in its third ownership).
MLP:Tails of Equestria is actually slower to get players up on, but is easier to play due to comparison only, rather than doing calculations.

It's also a 'generic system' and 5e is not. If you look at just the core Savage Worlds even tossing in fantasy it is really quite straightforward.
D&D is a generic system, but not a universal one. It is focused upon one specific genre - and it's a genre created by D&D, but shared in T&T, C&C, Pathfinder,
It seems to me that "complexity" and "choice" often get conflated in discussions like this.
One of several conflations common in the subject at hand.
Length vs complexity - while corelated, it's not terribly strongly so.
Crunchy vs complex - again, while corelated, it's not a given.

Example: T&T 5e, while 100 pages, is a 3 mechanic system: Spell casting, Combat Rolls, Saving Rolls.
Moldvay D&D basic is 64 pages, has spells, combat rolls, saving rolls, turning undead rolls, thief skill rolls, Morale rolls, and fuzzily included attribute checks and percentage likely checks (those last two on p. b60)...
T&T5 is mechanically simpler, despite being longer.
T&T5 does, however, have much less covered explicitly, but has a very simple, fleble and singular mechanic for non-spell, non-attack, resolution.
Despite that, T&T is also often crunchier - the rules elements are used more than the mechanics are in BX/BE play.
D&D stats in BX/BE require tables to explain their uses.
T&T stats generally don't... except Cha.
D&D stats in BX/BE generate a modifier that makes them less important than class and level most of the time.
T&T stats are used directly, and indirectly, but only spellcasting is actually limited by level. Spell casting, allowed weapons, and allowed armor are class limited, much as they are in D&D.

BX D&D weapons tables have: Name, Damage*, Weight, and an annotation for 2-handed, plus range for missiles.
T&T has Name, Damage, Weight, Req STR, Req DEX, Hands, and, for ranged, range.

*Not that anyone I ever played with used the every weapon does 1d6... but technically, the damage column is optional in BX.
Since every RPG essentially has a Rule Zero (how can they not?) this basically just tells me you think no RPG is really rules light. And that's something I disagree with.
It's not needed if the game is one where player inputs are constrained and only certain items are mechanicalized. The games I've seen that don't have either rotating GMing, or no difficulty levels. A number of games make the rules authority the group vote, and deny GM authority over rules calls.
Well no, I think that's an issue specific to you and your group.
The issue of problem players with rules arguments isn't specific to his group, it's pretty common
Wow. Now there's some seriously different experiences. :D

I spent most of my 1e and 2e experiences fielding arguments (and sometimes making them) with players. Even in 3e, I saw it frequently, although, that tended to be a single player whose grasp of the mechanics was less accurate than he believed it to be.

But, seriously, I'm stunned to be honest. You've had a much, much more cooperative group(s) than I ever saw. Must be nice.
When I was running games back in '81, Aaron, Sam, myself, and John basically, read Moldvay page B60, right col, as including advice to seek rules concensus with GM only as tiebreaker, not authority.
I consider 'traditional'/'old school' play as being almost entirely dominated by 'the long shadow of E. Gary Gygax.' Although I would not characterize a lot of it as 'how D&D was played in 1973' perhaps, it all very clearly descends from that period and the way people are thinking about things, the terms they use, and what they consider to be the nature and standard processes of an RPG are entirely reflective of that. Again and again we hear statements and analysis that amount to "an RPG (or roleplay) can only be a GM describing scenes to players which (s)he has authored and to which their sole response is limited to those available in-character'. The goal ALWAYS encompasses some flavor of "adjudicate and present situations such that they never deviate from some (how determined?) measure of 'things which could happen without respect to PCs'."

I don't really have good terminology for a lot of these 'Gygaxian assumptions' as you put it, or the process attached to them, because I feel that the analysis served up with them is really pretty weak. The process, as presented by its practitioners, simply doesn't seem to 'hold water' to me. I can use their words sometimes, but I think the connotations they are attempting to convey don't apply at all to the way I think about it.
Reading the various eras of Gygax's advice, a lot of people lean on the AD&D era advice... his earlier advice was less toxic in content, less narrow in scope, and less toxic in presentation than his late 1E advice in dragon, and his advice in the AD&D 1E DMG..

It's not a cohesive whole. Likewise, the OSR movement isn't a cohesive whole. (It's a very loud but not very big minority).

I, myself, don't agree with Mr. Pulsifer's definitions. My own functional definition is "A game¹ where players control one or more characters' attempted² Actions³ in a situation presented either by participant creation or by a module⁴."
¹: an activity with rules. not all games are competitions, and not all play is in/part-of a game.
²: Most RPGs, the rules mechanics, either as called for by the GM or by the rules, determine success; the player declares the attempt only.
³: Note the capital A in Actions - using it to refer to any effort that has a mechanical resolution mechanic.
⁴: This weasel wording is to include the solo modules, as well as GM-less modules for groups, and GM'd modules.

There have been attempts to seriously analyze games and gamers in the context of RPGs... the problem is that those doing it have all too often fallen prey to confirmation bias and/or selection bias. Part of the problem is that RPGs are generally played in private, and those who play aren't objective, and those who don't play generally aren't interested in doing the research.

I'll also note: D&D 5E has had the largest data collection effort - it's deeply mired in selection bias, but it's the best dataset... and D&D 5E was the result. As with all things heavily built upon feedback, it's development narrowed the response window by discouraging dissenters via increasing moves in the majority opinion direction. And that data collection has not ended with publication... WotC has done more market research than most of the rest of the industry.

Yet we continue to see the most popular RPGs loaded down with vast rulebooks. Unfortunately, the seeds of long-range destruction of any RPG edition are built into the capitalist economy.

You don't need a Ph.D. in history to know a lot can be explained if you "follow the money". To make money you need to sell product. If your primary business is RPGs you have to produce a game that is not only large but very extensible, so that you can sell additional rules. In the long run, that makes the game crunchy and unwieldy, dooms it to become too complex to appeal to the less than hard-core players.

Or they could just constantly push out unneeded new editions, that would work too. That's how the textbook companies do it

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads