• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Divine Oracle's Prescient Sense

Pazu

First Post
I haven't found a ruling anywhere on this...

The Divine Oracle prestige class (Complete Divine) gains the ability "Prescient Sense" at 2nd level, which functions more or less identically to Evasion (except that the oracle can use it in any type of armor). The text describes it as a "form of evasion".

Would this ability be considered equivalent to Evasion for prerequisite purposes? Should it?

Thanks, all.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It can go either way, and it is strictly up to your DM. I have seen people passionately argue both sides of that debate.

Personally I think it should count as evasion. From a logical standpoint, it IS evasion, just a greater form of it. And, as you said, the text even says it is a form of evasion.

However, it is questionable, as the name of the ability is not "Evasion". If the title of the ability is the most important factor (and it might be), then it doesn't count.

There is even a prestige classes that basically would require it to be a form of evasion for a character to even be able to get all 10 levels of the prestige class by level 20 (Magelord, from Unapproachable East).

Were I your DM, I would let it count.

Sejs

First Post
It's a different ability, similar, but not identical.

Would you let Mettle count as Evasion for the purpose of pre-reqs? Same kinda deal, as I see it.

So in my oppinion, no, Prescient Sense does not equal Evasion.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Sejs said:

Would you let Mettle count as Evasion for the purpose of pre-reqs? Same kinda deal, as I see it.

Mettle benefits Will and Fort saves, not reflex savcs. It does not do the exact same thing as Evasion, and it does not say it is a form of Evasion. Prescient sense DOES do the exact same thing as Evasion, and says it is a form of evasion. I think Mettle is a bad analogy.

Lets be very clear about the difference between this ability and evasion:

1) Different name for the ability in the title;
2) It includes this sentence "This form of evasion works no matter what armor the dvine orcale wears, unlike the evasion ability used by monks and rogues."

That's it. That is the sole difference between the two abilities.

Pazu

First Post
Sejs said:

I wouldn't equate Mettle and Evasion because they apply to different saves.

Mechanically, Prescient Sense and Evasion function identically, except for the provision that Prescient Sense isn't limited by armor.

A related question: Some prestige classes gain Evasion, with the additional benefit that if the character already has Evasion, they gain Improved Evasion instead. Would a character with Prescient Sense, who gains levels in such a prestige class as noted above, then gain Improved Evasion?

Crothian

First Post
Pazu said:
Would a character with Prescient Sense, who gains levels in such a prestige class as noted above, then gain Improved Evasion?

Again I say no, but its a DM and camapign thing. Or better yet, one of those questions Wizards should answer.

The Souljourner

First Post
I think you'd have to take it on a case by case basis. Honestly, I can't imagine this ever actually coming up in play. What character would want to take Divine Oracle and something that requires evasion? Sounds like a concept disconnect to me.

-The Souljourner

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The Souljourner said:
I think you'd have to take it on a case by case basis. Honestly, I can't imagine this ever actually coming up in play. What character would want to take Divine Oracle and something that requires evasion? Sounds like a concept disconnect to me.

I've got a character with a Divine Oracle cohort - he used to be a temple librarian, now he's effectively a bodyguard/investigator.

I have no plans for him to take any evasion-happy PrCs, but I can imagine it as a possible further development of the cohort's character arc...

-Hyp.

Remove ads