• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The DM Burnout and How to Get Past That: Advice?

RoryN

First Post
I got into this thread a little late, but I see lots of good suggestions. I don't know the age group your players are in, or how long they have been playing, but a lot of groups (my first group included) start out with a lot of hack-n-slash stuff and then slowly move more towards role-playing and the story.

You sound as if you've found a RPing ally in your friend, so I wouldn't totally give up on doing that in a game just yet. Others may eventually catch on and join in when they find the video game style getting a bit boring (how many kobolds can you slash before it gets old anyway?)

Some threads have mentioned punishment for your players for some of the things they do, and I tend to agree, but maybe a different type of punishment is in order rather than having the law come down on them. I think it may have been 2E D&D that had a bit of a caveat in giving out XPs to players in that when an encounter is far too easy, the XP awards should be reduced. So, if your players jokingly say they are going to kill of some innocent townsperson or NPC, and they do, when they ask for XPs, simply tell them "none" and then explain why. Not everything they do is going to gain them XP, and they should learn that early on. It might not change their ways immediately, but if they are looking at gaining levels and becoming more powerful, at least it will give them something to think about.

Good luck with your gaming!

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Glad you found a resolution. I too took a seat back from the GM chair, but it took me to get another GM going after a long wait and I have been the only one to contribute to our campaign website. Wish I had someone as keen to take our group somewhere....show some initiative. Anyway, glad your worries have been eased for now Molepunch.

WuM1nG

Explorer
Hey there molepunch, glad to see there is interest in a RP centric game in Singapore! I have sent you a PM, hope we can discuss things further! I believe there is hope yet for RPGs to really have an RP aspect in this country :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ah- let 'em become criminals! Then you get all KINDS of plot hooks- they're on the run for a while; they get caught & go to prison and try to escape; they escape & are othe run for a while until recapture; they freed on the condition of being geased and get turned into a "suicide squad"...

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Ah- let 'em become criminals! Then you get all KINDS of plot hooks- they're on the run for a while; they get caught & go to prison and try to escape; they escape & are othe run for a while until recapture; they freed on the condition of being geased and get turned into a "suicide squad"...
Ah, the classics. Hard to go wrong.

Remove ads