D&D 3E/3.5 The DMG: A CRITICAL HIT at 93.5%!

The 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide is still pulling in rave reviews, and is trending at 93.5%. io9 says its "like a Hacker's Manual for D&D", and Geekdad reports that "this 5e ruleset has completely won me back!" There are dissenters, of course - 5 Minute Workday feels its "a whole lot of appetizers but no real main course" - but these are outweighed by reviews from the likes of boingboing who called it "gorgeous, evocative, hefty, organized, and readable".

The 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide is still pulling in rave reviews, and is trending at 93.5%. io9 says its "like a Hacker's Manual for D&D", and Geekdad reports that "this 5e ruleset has completely won me back!" There are dissenters, of course - 5 Minute Workday feels its "a whole lot of appetizers but no real main course" - but these are outweighed by reviews from the likes of boingboing who called it "gorgeous, evocative, hefty, organized, and readable".

So, clearly the Dungeon Master's Guide has garnered critical praise. You can look at the list of critical reviews from outlets around the web. The critics have given it an aggregate score of 85%; but fans have shown more support and weigh in with a whopping 93.5%!

Fun with stats: D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide is ranked #3 out of 24 products with 10 or more reviews, placing it in the 92% percentile. It is rated 15.1 points higher than the overall average product rating of 78.4%. With 43 reviews, this is the #3 most reviewed product.

dmg-5e-cover.jpg

Hussar

Legend
Feel a little bit like a monster, as my blog/webcomic was the review called out as a "dissenter". Oh well, the traffic is good and I stand by my review.

Having just read your review JC, I'm not sure I would consider it negative at all. It seems pretty even handed. Nothing stands out as particularly strongly worded. Did I miss something?

mouselim

First Post
Sick! Even Dungeon World received only a 75% rating... :(

Edit: Is there a guideline for the ratings? Is there a percentile or weight associated? Anyway, it honestly doesn't matter...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
5 Minute Workday feels its "a whole lot of appetizers but no real main course" -

What was said above is so dead on it's not even funny. 93% is being way too giving.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
[MENTION=6687986]mouselim[/MENTION]
So people are wrong if they rate this in the 90's? Rubbish. For what I wanted from a DMG it hits ALL the right buttons. Does that make me 'lenient'? Whatever that means when rating a book you like to use? My collection of RPG reading is certainly not restrictive, but that is a complete lousy line to pull. So that makes me bias. Yes I AM biased towards this book. It is exactly what I wanted from the DMG for 5E.

It could not have had everything on every topic. It has something on everything though, and that leave space to expand and explore in future products. But everything in there is useful to me (except maybe a couple of MIs, but that goes with all editions). It is NOT solely a world-building book.

Cynical some? Fine - you don't rate it. that is cool by me. I, along with many others rate it in the 90's...if not my favourite RPG book in a LONg time. Maybe that makes it 100%. (Whatever bloody %'s mean in reviews anyway).

mouselim

First Post
[MENTION=19265]Connorsrpg[/MENTION]: Wow! I said most not all. Why do you even consider yourself in that category that I mentioned? Such fire back at me when it wasn't even directed at you...shucks.

By the way, what else do you have at 5/5? Just curious. I'm not liberal with my ratings and if Dungeon World core gets a 4.5 from me, no way I would rate DMG a 4.5 much less a 5. Unless you consider DMG on par with Dungeon World core book (or Fiasco or Hillfolk).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
...guess I know where the EN World staff stands...

I don't know who the "EN World staff" is (do you mean the moderators of the messageboards? I'm sure they can rate products themselves if they feel so inclined) but my rating can be seen up there. I like the book very much. I didn't feel that was a secret.

However, the words dissenter refers to those who disagree with the popular opinion. Nothing wrong with that; it's a feature, not a bug. The system is designed to aggregate.

Last edited by a moderator:

mouselim

First Post
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]: Dissent (as defined in Merriam dictionary) is to publicly disagree with an official opinion, decision, or set of beliefs. Note "official". Dissent has a negative connotation.

Anyway, my bad for showing my irk.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
@Morrus: Dissent (as defined in Merriam dictionary) is to publicly disagree with an official opinion, decision, or set of beliefs. Note "official". Dissent has a negative connotation.

You have a different dictionary to me. Mine says "the holding or expression of opinions at variance with those commonly or officially held." Note "commonly". And another one says "to differ in sentiment or opinion, especially from the majority; withhold assent; disagree".

But even if it did only mean "official" (in which case, I'm not sure who the official in question would be), disagreement is not a negative thing. Like I said, the system is designed for that. That's why it aggregates stuff.

And I can't believe I just got into a disagreement over the meaning of a word on the internet. I feel dirty now... :(

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads